Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wet hoodie sleeves
Dec 3, 2021

oh no
He's the best left back in the world. Is this like a comedy bit or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

wet hoodie sleeves posted:

Who is?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Best left back in the changing rooms.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

If Trent was a good midfielder he’d be playing midfield

dude on tv was saying back in the day he would've been moved to midfield long ago but nowadays he's more useful where he is

i don't have a strong opinion on the validity of this position

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Left back at midfield when he should be defending.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Sell him to West Ham, watch Moyes turn him into the best centre forward in the world.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

No he’s not I saw that list of best left backs which was a list of Champions Leagues teams.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

hadji murad posted:

No he’s not I saw that list of best left backs which was a list of Champions Leagues teams.

Again, that’s just the list of teams EC10 supports

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bewbies posted:

dude on tv was saying back in the day he would've been moved to midfield long ago but nowadays he's more useful where he is

i don't have a strong opinion on the validity of this position

I think he's been tried in midfield and isn't as effective there because there's less space for him to run in the modern game's crowded midfields

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
remember when barton played right midfield for newcastle and got a bunhc of assists crossing the ball early onto carrolls head? clearly liverpool signed him too soon since trent wasn't playing

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

vyelkin posted:

I think he's been tried in midfield and isn't as effective there because there's less space for him to run in the modern game's crowded midfields

Ding ding

Under Klopp’s system he gets to push up and work the half spaces anyway. so no need to have him play a position that doesn’t put him better spots in the final third but does put him in worse spots everywhere else

He’s a weird player and he’s in the perfect spot tbqh

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

You’re obviously referring to Aly “Fever for the Flava” Cissoko, right?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Getting baited over Trent not defending is like getting baited over Firminho's scoring stats.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I don't think anyone's bothered by him being far up the pitch when that's what he's asked to do. The problem is his defending when he actually tries to defend - it's shocking.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Defending is cowardly, real teams have shed themselves of this modern silliness and embraced the P R E S S

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Looks like the krangled Tottenham schedule just got quite a bit lighter

https://twitter.com/skysportspaulg/status/1469593951124525064?s=20

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1469434270947155971

doing all of the "feel free to gently caress off, then" moves alongside the main character big ralfie rangnick

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

TheRat posted:

Looks like the krangled Tottenham schedule just got quite a bit lighter

https://twitter.com/skysportspaulg/status/1469593951124525064?s=20

BBC report said that Rennes considered that Tottenham had taken a 'Unilateral' decision to call the game off. They must have wanted to play against the COVID team.

They'll call it a draw so as not to rile anyone up and it will be the end of the conference league for spurs

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

If I'm remembering it right (from the cloudy mists of Wednesday), Spurs called it off in the first place of their own accord after Rennes were already in London (after telling them at lunchtime it was going ahead), but then UEFA formally postponed it as of Thursday.

It's not so much that they want to play it (it makes no difference to them), as much as them saying that if Spurs phone them up at the airport and tell them there's no game, they want a 3-0 walkover and a free Nandos

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Yeah, and they are fully entitled to it, best team in the group by a margin. Hadn't considered that this game meant nothing to them, apart from getting to beat a 'Super League' team again.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TheRat posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone call him Andy. Seen plenty of "Robbo" though, which is cultural appropriation imo.

What culture is being appropriated here exactly?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

What culture is being appropriated here exactly?

It was a joke about Bryan Robson, who's not a scotsman

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

TheRat posted:

I don't think anyone's bothered by him being far up the pitch when that's what he's asked to do. The problem is his defending when he actually tries to defend - it's shocking.

Yeah it’s this.

You can’t fault a player for being in the position his manager wants him if it winds up costing them a goal.

It’s just like people getting upset at that stat that Trent turns the ball over more than anyone else: that’s a dumb stat to use to evaluate a guy who is supposed to ping in crosses and ambitious passes.

But when he’s in position he’s not very good at defending.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

FullLeatherJacket posted:

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1469434270947155971

doing all of the "feel free to gently caress off, then" moves alongside the main character big ralfie rangnick

Which players would this be directed towards, Martial and Pogba probably, any others?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mostly Pogba. He also banned him from hanging out in Dubai when he's injured, and says they all have to rehab at the club instead.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Yeah, Pogba. Martial has said he's looking for a move away, but he was likely getting loaned out anyway, as is Lingard.

but entirely over the semi-annual "well, Madrid are interested, but maybe if you wired a million dollars to my agent" circus, if Newcastle will pay you £500k a week and let you design your own kit then we'll pay for the megabus ticket

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
If I was Pogba I would be doing as absolutely little as possible for man United before getting the gently caress out of that dumpster fire

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pogba is a clown and absolutely nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. I hope someone snaps him in half

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

If I was Pogba I would be doing as absolutely little as possible for man United before getting the gently caress out of that dumpster fire

:hmmyes:

Bape Culture posted:

Pogba is a clown and absolutely nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. I hope someone snaps him in half

:hmmyes:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

He's missed like 10 games now because he snapped his tigh in half trying to take a shot on goal during warmup for an international game lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Nodding sagely at this, but would rather he gets paid a fat wedge in another league then knocks man u out of Europe while doing seven trademarked goal celebrations at once

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

Nodding sagely at this, but would rather he gets paid a fat wedge in another league then knocks man u out of Europe while doing seven trademarked goal celebrations at once

wow, mods?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
rangnick getting the authority to tell pogba to go kick rocks is sadly a Really Good Thing for united

also lumping jlingz in with martial and pogba jsnt fair, jljngz is just poo poo but he means well

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

To be fair, jlingz was good when he was at west ham, I just think his mind is too broken with regards to man utd for it to work again

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It is interesting that ralfs got his big boy boots on straight away. Usually man united managers wait until they've completely lost the dressing room before they start throwing their weight around

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bape Culture posted:

same but also pooshited

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

It is interesting that ralfs got his big boy boots on straight away. Usually man united managers wait until they've completely lost the dressing room before they start throwing their weight around

It was 100% needed with Pogba. Dude's been a loving circus for half a decade now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

TheRat posted:

It was 100% needed with Pogba. Dude's been a loving circus for half a decade now

Who's going to win the "most step-overs" trophy next year at PSG, Pogba or Neymar?