Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Heading to bed as I'm knackered.

Played Merchants of the Dark Road and Unfathomable today.
Fantastic fantastic games both. Good friends and good times.

This combo of weapons + being the First Mate (which allows you to jump to a deck space and take an action) enabled me to merc the poo poo out of THIRTEEN Deep Ones in the space of 2 player turns.
- Teleport to deck (Gain Extra Action)
- Murder Deep One 1 with Starbuck (Gain Extra Action)
- Rampage with Repeating Rifle to 3x Interior Deep Ones
- Rampage #2 with Repeating Rifle to 3x Deep Ones in the Water
~Mythos Phase 8x Deep Ones come onto Decks to my Left and Right~
- Player next to me allows me to take 2 extra actions
- Rampage #3 and Rampage #4 murders 6 of the 8 new Deep Ones on the Deck.

The 2 revealed traitors were PISSED :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

Its trying to find the right balance of tactical fiddle vs mindless violins.

This is an underrated comment that needed to be seen on the next page too

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've been playing a bunch of Ameritrash recently. Last Night on Earth and Arkham 1.0 are terrible. Do those count as dudes in a hall? Just play Trogdor it's the same game with no rolling.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

my group really seems to enjoy istanbul type games but I'm not as excited about them

not sure what kind of game that is

Istanbul is probably best described as an engine-building worker placement. I love it. That said, most worker placement games are much duller than Istanbul.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I played unfathomable as well about 2 weeks ago and I was somewhat impressed. I think they took a lot of lessons from BSG and actually learnt from them, and the game, even with newbies, was really tight and came to a close finish. I think the menu of options for traitors really improves the game a lot and keeps them invested in the game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

As a BSG veteran with dozens of plays, I really enjoyed Unfathomable. The cultist turned me into a traitor very shortly before the end of the 11th movement, so I was pretty much outed straight away. The other traitor had never played BSG and only became a traitor in the second half, but she grasped it really well, making some slightly suspicious moves but explaining her reasons convincingly.

With me as the other traitor, she and I very rapidly turned the tide before the humans could react enough, and I did my reveal action (reset the track) which also screwed the cultist out of a victory as we made the fuel run out before they could move again.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SiKboy posted:

As a violist, I know for a fact we have the mindless music.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

nordichammer posted:

The Estates is a modern classic auction game. Technically a reimplementation, but it feels and looks nice.

Chicago Express may be difficult to obtain, but it is amazing.

High Society is a smaller form game that is great as well

It’s still bizarre to me that only 3-4 years ago it was easy to pick up Chex for $12-15 and now it’s rare. One can only hope it gets picked up by capstone and reprinted in an appropriately sized box.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
How similar is 7 Wonders compared to the Duel 2 player version? Because, as it stands, 7 Wonders Duel is one of my favourite games to play with friends (that and Jaipur)…

Are there any other games similar?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I didn't realize it's that hard to find Chicago Express now, that is pretty funny. Well, I'm still seeing it on BGG used for like 40 bucks so it can't be that bad.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SiKboy posted:

:golfclap:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/grandtrunkgames/status/1469729331622465537

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshuastarr/shikoku-1889/

$50 for a very nice edition of 1889 is a steal.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Graphic design on this one by a good friend of mine who's also redesigned a number of other 18XXs.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Was checking a lgs site today to see if they finally had a copy of the Under Dark Waves expansion for Arkham 3rd and just about lost it when I saw Forbidden Alchemy for Mansions of Madness 1st edition for msrp. Site 404d when I tried to add it to cart, so I called to them to see if they’d hold it for me but it turns out it was just a glitch or something. Oh well, couldn’t really afford it anyway.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Harold Fjord posted:

I've been playing a bunch of Ameritrash recently. Last Night on Earth and Arkham 1.0 are terrible. Do those count as dudes in a hall? Just play Trogdor it's the same game with no rolling.

Dudes In A Hall was a phrase from someone or other, but it captured that sort of game where you had a squad of dudes dungeoneering or fighting aliens/monsters down a set of corridors, with lots of tactics around movement and conserving resources, with a constant encountering of enemies that was asymmetrical, i.e. they used different rules to the players. I think both the above are maybe marginal examples due to the puzzle solving and borderline roleplaying elements.

Last Night is a game I used to really like until Zombicide came along and acheived 90% of the same effect with less than half the rules and setup. Like, you can criticise Zombicide as a game, but it's a pretty lean representation of the essentials of a zombie setup.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Even with my yet-unplayed copy of 1830, I'd consider jumping on this, except for Kickstarter's loving blockchain grift-baloney.

Do GTGs games go to retail?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

gschmidl posted:

Graphic design on this one by a good friend of mine who's also redesigned a number of other 18XXs.

Including 1889 itself. I expect his PnP files for that game is the most common form of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Even with my yet-unplayed copy of 1830, I'd consider jumping on this, except for Kickstarter's loving blockchain grift-baloney.

Do GTGs games go to retail?

I would imagine it would be very hard for ks to change pre-existing campaigns...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

I would imagine it would be very hard for ks to change pre-existing campaigns...

It's more the principle of the thing. And nothing against the people who utilize KS, this is just dumbfuckery on the part of the company themselves.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

It's more the principle of the thing. And nothing against the people who utilize KS, this is just dumbfuckery on the part of the company themselves.

Definitely.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They need more $$. They aren’t going public so this is plan b. In the scheme of things with NFTs and all, it’s not that big of a thing to me. As someone pointed out in another thread, video game playing takes up way more electricity than this could ever do.

I respect peoples choices of course.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A single transaction on the blockchain uses as much electricity as a fridge running for a month, so I have no idea where they got that statistic. Crypto is way way worse than any normal hobby assuming you're not a coal rolling big trucker.

Geoff Engelstein made a twitter thread hypothesizing that this was to get around new EU regulations that would put KS on the hook for failed campaigns, but then someone posted the proposed law that specifically said crowdfunding sites like KS were exempt. It's 100% an attempt to hop on the trend by using buzzwords with no concern for the harm or reason to use blockchain technology, because there is never a reason to use it. It solves no problems and adds no benefits.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I haven't used KS in forever so this is news to me, but also lol.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

A single transaction on the blockchain uses as much electricity as a fridge running for a month, so I have no idea where they got that statistic. Crypto is way way worse than any normal hobby assuming you're not a coal rolling big trucker.
That's true for proof of work crypto bullshit but kickstarter is basing theirs on Celo, which is proof of stake and is orders of magnitude less energy intensive. It's still wasteful but not at nearly the same scale

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Mayveena posted:

As someone pointed out in another thread, video game playing takes up way more electricity than this could ever do.

lmfao

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Impermanent posted:

That's true for proof of work crypto bullshit but kickstarter is basing theirs on Celo, which is proof of stake and is orders of magnitude less energy intensive. It's still wasteful but not at nearly the same scale

This was my understanding.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Impermanent posted:

As others have pointed out about this in Discord and other threads, Celo just purchases carbon credits so it's not really any better. PoS bullshit has been the promise of cleaner crypto for like 5 years and it's all just part of the grift to get more people on board with the nonsense.

Even if the move was truly carbon neutral it wouldn't be improving anything about the platform.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Don't ever give blockchain anything the benefit of the doubt, do not trust anything they have to say about themselves, it is literally always a scam and a lie.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

That’s a fantastic table. I think I want to make mine a sitting / standing table.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I have three outstanding kickstarters and already own 7 18xx games which is plenty. I’m not big on kickstarters anyway so I’m not going to claim I’m boycotting them. A friend has 180 outstanding kickstarters which is insane, another has 40 outstanding kickstarters, I don’t know what they are going to do. Is what Kickstarter doing better or worse than going public? Can’t answer but I hate publicly traded companies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is wading into the standard "no ethical consumption under capitalism" talk but yeah, getting into crypto is a significant step up in the "captain planet villain" scheme of things, especially considering KS is a relatively small company that can completely avoid going near anything like that.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not specifically boycotting Kickstarter, but this did help push me towards the realization that from a personal perspective I really don't need to back anything ever again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

This is wading into the standard "no ethical consumption under capitalism" talk but yeah, getting into crypto is a significant step up in the "captain planet villain" scheme of things, especially considering KS is a relatively small company that can completely avoid going near anything like that.

For some reason they need money according to Bloomberg. So if they need major amounts of money then they can go public, which they apparently don't want to do or I guess they are doing this. No, they can't raise their rates, gamefound has already left them and if they raise their rates, more will go to gamefound or create something else that doesn't need money. The cynic says they need more money to make the executive management billionaires but who knows.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

For some reason they need money according to Bloomberg. So if they need major amounts of money then they can go public, which they apparently don't want to do or I guess they are doing this. No, they can't raise their rates, gamefound has already left them and if they raise their rates, more will go to gamefound or create something else that doesn't need money. The cynic says they need more money to make the executive management billionaires but who knows.

Yeah, it definitely sounds to me like their admin costs are now eating into their profits. Probably not exceeding them, but not making them rich as fast as they'd like either.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Regardless, it's a scam. There is literally no world where they're going to successfully transition to a blockchain-based platform. The only question is who's doing the scamming.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What exactly does rolling blockchain tech into their platform mean?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Eyes Have It posted:

Making it ten times slower and using a hundred times as much energy because capitalists like stupid buzzwords more than they like having a habitable planet.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Mayveena posted:

They need more $$. They aren’t going public so this is plan b. In the scheme of things with NFTs and all, it’s not that big of a thing to me. As someone pointed out in another thread, video game playing takes up way more electricity than this could ever do.

I respect peoples choices of course.

LMAO what. I understand that gaming isn't exactly the greenest activity you can do but the sheer wastage and inefficiency of crypto makes this claim highly suspect.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Making it ten times slower and using a hundred times as much energy because capitalists like stupid buzzwords more than they like having a habitable planet.

Don’t sell it short. They also get to offload their servers and payment processing onto kickstarters and donators, and cut out credit card companies (at least directly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Eyes Have It posted:

They make a press release about it, and then two years later they scuttle the project because it doesn't work.