Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My son turns 8 on Monday.

We are spending entirely too much money to rent out a local theater next Saturday so that his party can be during Spider-Man.

Nobody is happy with me because I bought a pack of auras I’m requiring to be worn during the party, and I’ve asked everyone for proof of vaccination already.

I didn’t want this party but my son has had a really hard time during Covid. just hope I don’t die next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/tylerblack32/status/1469380408563277828?s=21

https://twitter.com/tylerblack32/status/1469380413193801731?s=21

Definitive proof that kids don't like sitting in a burning building and being told "This is fine" over and over again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kylaer posted:

Just wear a respirator and you'll be fine. I go to stores wearing a respirator. I go to the gym wearing a respirator. I've gone over to boardgame nights at friends' houses wearing a respirator. You can't eat or drink but you can absolutely be present with the people you care about. Covid isn't magic. It's a little particle of protein and RNA and a p100 filter will stop it.

It's such an easy solution but too many people default to "effective mask scary looking :ohdear:" and won't do this 1 simple trick that will keep you covid free and not throwing out disposable masks all the time

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Citing median pay is insane. Who gives a poo poo what the 30 year vets are making when I'm trying to get a job and I know I'll be laid off in 6 months because crunch time ended

At our last provider meeting our office manager's boss (no idea who she is) quoted the median income as to way pay wasn't the reason they couldn't get new hires to work the front desk. Then she said "a one dollar a hour raise doesn't help retention as much as all the providers being nicer to them." So now we all chipped in 50 bucks and they're getting a coffe thermos, a starbucks gift card, and 5 dollars off at the lovely store downstairs.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

i dunno, people eating horse paste would sound fake 18 months ago, and there's plenty of stories of that happening

Would it? Sounds as American as fish antibiotics.

SplitSoul posted:

Lots of Austrians are saying this is exactly like Anschluss, but many others don't like it.

Lmao

First is true, even if the lockdown was pretty half-assed. Turns out closing all bars and restaurants and ordering everyone in schools to wear FFP2 masks makes number go down. Still find it absurd that they didn't send all schools back to remote for two weeks. They just made attendance optional. We were burning through our kids like we're Brexit island. Second, well we're at 70% now, up from maybe 64 a month ago, but I think they opened up shots for kids. Don't think any of the Covidler think they'll have to face any real consequences. It's also still two months off for some reason.

Strep Vote posted:

:( I'm a sociologist and I am not nearly as dumb as zeynep, any sociologist worth their salt would just say "due to human nature, lol, lmao, get your affairs in order." Trying to outrun germs with tech less than 100 years old is folly, it's all brute force lol.

Idk if she is dumb. I'm not a sociologist, but for some reason I used to get mails from the Iranian Studies department every week and I don't know anyone who ever went. Imagine you lean outside your field a bit and suddenly you get reporters calling. Probably breaks the brain a bit.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
GIMME CHEEZER GIMME WHEEZER GIMME VENTED MAGA GEEZER, OOH

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Kylaer posted:

Just wear a respirator and you'll be fine. I go to stores wearing a respirator. I go to the gym wearing a respirator. I've gone over to boardgame nights at friends' houses wearing a respirator. You can't eat or drink but you can absolutely be present with the people you care about. Covid isn't magic. It's a little particle of protein and RNA and a p100 filter will stop it.

100%. i said something about it before but i finished up a degree this fall and wore my honeywell respirator for every class that was strictly in-person learning, no problem. even presented my final to the class wearing it.

embrace respirator crew

Marlow
Jan 11, 2007

Foreign dokaebi

Strep Vote posted:

Got a little shook and made an appointment for my TDaP (due) and an mmr booster for the middle of January.

The next month is going to be loving wild.*

*mild

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

PerniciousKnid posted:

My larger problem is that without daycare I don't have time/energy for any of those things. I was the first person to stop attending Discord chats because I don't like any of my friends as much as I need sleep.

Edit: and other people talk about weddings or something and I get mad

Right, your situation is different if you have kids, but I'm talking to the people who are saying they can't go over to their friends' houses and play boardgames or watch movies. They can. They absolutely can, and despite all the jokes about misuse of the word ~*~safely~*~, if they're wearing a respirator, they're safe. It's safe to walk into the ICU room of someone actively dying of covid, as long as you're wearing a respirator. Covid is a physical infectious agent and an appropriate physical barrier will stop it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://aws.amazon.com/service-terms/

quote:

42.10. Acceptable Use; Safety-Critical Systems. Your use of the Lumberyard Materials must comply with the AWS Acceptable Use Policy. The Lumberyard Materials are not intended for use with life-critical or safety-critical systems, such as use in operation of medical equipment, automated transportation systems, autonomous vehicles, aircraft or air traffic control, nuclear facilities, manned spacecraft, or military use in connection with live combat. However, this restriction will not apply in the event of the occurrence (certified by the United States Centers for Disease Control or successor body) of a widespread viral infection transmitted via bites or contact with bodily fluids that causes human corpses to reanimate and seek to consume living human flesh, blood, brain or nerve tissue and is likely to result in the fall of organized civilization.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Remember that patient I told you guys about I sent to a hospital for his every three month plex treatment? Has a weird neuro weakness thing called chronic idiopathic demyelinating polyneuropathy. Basically he has to go into the hospital four times a year to get his blood filtered or he'll get so weak he won't be able to breathe. But he's also chairbound, and has horrible open wounds on his sacrum, so his wife was scared about sending him to the hospital with covid. But he was getting very weak, but she was worried about the sores, etc.

I told her that something could go wrong at home, or at the hospital, and it'd be better for him if he was at the hospital when something went wrong.

I was following his case via EMR for about a week to see how he was doing. He contracted covid on about day six, crumped, went septic, on 15L o2, was circling the drat drain and then weirdly got better. He wanted to go home but his wife had COVID now, and there was doubt she could take care of him. The hospital wanted to send him to inpatient rehab or a skilled nursing facility but the guy is a DNR and he's adamant that he's not going to a nursing facility. He has his wife to help him, they have home health 2 days a week, he'd already missed thanksgiving and he wasn't going to miss christmas too, etc. Of course they can't even discharge him anywhere else because all the SNFs require him to be covid free for 10 days, so he's just sitting there alone in a covid ward.

Check the notes and now he's finally allowed to go to a SNF. he can't return home anymore because his wife died of COVID.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dude who has never done WFH before:

CSPAMmers who spend 15 hours every day doomscrolling just to keep up to date with all the new posts:

:pathetic:

This is an ulnar nerve transposition, it's outpatient, they don't even fully sedate you, it's do one/see one/teach one.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
went to Burlington for sixtels of Madonna and Allagash Wit; stopped at grocery store and brewer's supply, too. The booze stores were "masks required", grocery was ~90% masked, and I'm getting used to seeing people in KN95s, I think I saw almost as many of those as surgicals or cloth today.

We're doing an outdoor thing for our kid's birthday next week but it's only going to be 1-2 other kids, it's kids she has exposure to in (outdoor) preschool, everyone will be masked if near each other, and I'm setting up spaced seating for eating cake, etc.

My tinnitus is still spiked after my boost 10 days ago, but #2 did that as well so I am just talking myself through it because I figure if the vaccines are pissing my ears off, actual COVID would probably completely destroy them (many such cases!!)

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

I'm getting forced back into the office next month
:rubby:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Zeriel posted:

I'm getting forced back into the office next month
:rubby:

that gives you a month to pass yourself off as an experienced and valuable remote worker to some other organization!!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember that patient I told you guys about I sent to a hospital for his every three month plex treatment? Has a weird neuro weakness thing called chronic idiopathic demyelinating polyneuropathy. Basically he has to go into the hospital four times a year to get his blood filtered or he'll get so weak he won't be able to breathe. But he's also chairbound, and has horrible open wounds on his sacrum, so his wife was scared about sending him to the hospital with covid. But he was getting very weak, but she was worried about the sores, etc.

I told her that something could go wrong at home, or at the hospital, and it'd be better for him if he was at the hospital when something went wrong.

I was following his case via EMR for about a week to see how he was doing. He contracted covid on about day six, crumped, went septic, on 15L o2, was circling the drat drain and then weirdly got better. He wanted to go home but his wife had COVID now, and there was doubt she could take care of him. The hospital wanted to send him to inpatient rehab or a skilled nursing facility but the guy is a DNR and he's adamant that he's not going to a nursing facility. He has his wife to help him, they have home health 2 days a week, he'd already missed thanksgiving and he wasn't going to miss christmas too, etc. Of course they can't even discharge him anywhere else because all the SNFs require him to be covid free for 10 days, so he's just sitting there alone in a covid ward.

Check the notes and now he's finally allowed to go to a SNF. he can't return home anymore because his wife died of COVID.

JFC

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
shot:

chaser:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

FizFashizzle posted:

This is an ulnar nerve transposition, it's outpatient, they don't even fully sedate you, it's do one/see one/teach one.

:smith:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Kylaer posted:

Right, your situation is different if you have kids, but I'm talking to the people who are saying they can't go over to their friends' houses and play boardgames or watch movies. They can. They absolutely can, and despite all the jokes about misuse of the word ~*~safely~*~, if they're wearing a respirator, they're safe. It's safe to walk into the ICU room of someone actively dying of covid, as long as you're wearing a respirator. Covid is a physical infectious agent and an appropriate physical barrier will stop it.

It's still hard for me to fully trust the seal, I'm using the respirator only for extra protection for curbside pickups (and protection for getting vaccinated). But honestly the idea of hanging out with people who, through their actions, reveal they're comfortable with getting infected and transmitting death / disability to others doesn't sound appealing whatsoever.

Haven't had the urge once the entire pandemic - I really just miss dogsitting and the idea of being able to get medical care safely.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

SplitSoul posted:

Lots of Austrians are saying this is exactly like Anschluss, but many others don't like it.

:drat:

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FizFashizzle posted:

gently caress

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I soyfaced so hard. Bezos is just like us

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lansdowne posted:

More Missouri health departments halt COVID efforts after attorney general’s threat

quoting the whole thing last because the kcstar likes to throw up paywalls, but here's some wild pulls:

C-SPAM > [COVID] WHAT A MESS WE NOW ARE IN!!!!!!

Can't wait for this to be federal policy in 2025

Or 2022 if Biden decides to pivot right because of bad midterm polling/results

A lot of Democrat politicians are behaving this way already, they aren't explicit about it though

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Thank you for the condensed information posts. I guess I will finally break down and create a Twitter account to follow the people who are tracking this stuff.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Atrocious Joe posted:

Can't wait for this to be federal policy in 2025

Making a lot of assumptions about there actually being a federal government by 2025.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

bowser posted:

Definitive proof that kids don't like sitting in a burning building and being told "This is fine" over and over again.

Maybe if we just open up more...

salient
Jan 2, 2021

Paramemetic posted:

Solidarity.

I do critical care and recently got to take a dude with 3 chest tubes on a vent to a vent farm for "rehab." We had to strap portable suction units to his legs to run the three tubes. He'd been in the ICU for like 70 days so the hospital did the thing where everyone clapped and made a big to do but like mf is going to a vent farm it's not like he's better.

Poor guy was still online though, trying to talk over the trach but with a lot of anxiety at baseline even so I had to snow his rear end during transport because he was hyperventilating over the vent.

Thanks covid for all these uh neat clinical opportunities for learning and growth.

My ER nurse best friend is making twice what I am as a medic and it's making an RN bridge program very enticing.

A bunch of the local hospitals have started hiring LPNs for their floors and lmao it's super surreal getting a report from an LPN who tells you the patient is in atrial flutter wave I'm like looking at the monitor going "okay that's actually a 3rd degree, and she isn't ACLS... What else is a lie?"

i absolutely hate taking runs at the facilities covid survivors get shipped off to. they were bad in the before times but it feels like i'm watching genuine harm done every time i haul someone out. i've been making ED staff mad by advising a social worker or APS should get involved with certain patients who are very clearly being neglected

i do genuinely regret deciding to get my bachelors instead of just going through the medic to RN program like everyone else. i would have been done just in time to start traveling. you should go for it if you're thinking about it imho. a former coworker of mine is pulling around $125/hr working labor and delivery overtime right now

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm still on work calls with all the emergency medical systems people in my state and it is great hearing all of them talk about how understaffed they are and it's the governments fault for all the red tape and it has nothing to do with insufficient wages for a horribly demanding and emotionally draining job. No one is taking classes to become a paramedic and every private company is absolutely unmoveable in their belief that compensation is not the problem. One guy kept repeating "the median pay right now is $26/hour" as if that proved anything when you are talking exclusively about trying to onboard new kids who aren't going to make close to that starting out. 90% of new personnel are born after 1998 or something and they aren't stupid, they aren't going to scrape people off the highway and run Ubers for covid deaths for $15/hr and poo poo schedules. It's so insanely frustrating to actually be able to witness capital shove its head into the ground and cry about how unfair everything is when every rep on the call is an overpaid work-from-home little bitch.

ems is so poorly regulated and managed from the top down that it's amazing anyone can call 911 and have an ambulance show up at all tbh. that we're still under the DOT and NHTSA instead of HHS or something is incredible. i love prehospital care but i'm making plans to get out as quickly as i can. i've started advising emt and medic students that nursing school is a better choice if they're set on working in patient care

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Why Am I So Tired posted:

It's still hard for me to fully trust the seal, I'm using the respirator only for extra protection for curbside pickups (and protection for getting vaccinated). But honestly the idea of hanging out with people who, through their actions, reveal they're comfortable with getting infected and transmitting death / disability to others doesn't sound appealing whatsoever.

Haven't had the urge once the entire pandemic - I really just miss dogsitting and the idea of being able to get medical care safely.

Intubate a couple of dozen covid patients. You'll learn to trust your respirator.

Remember, you have to operate on the premise that this is forever. There's no getting rid of covid. It's going to keep circulating, mutating, infecting, maiming, and killing, for the rest of our lives, barring a medical breakthrough that allows the creation of a true sterilizing vaccine that works against all variants. I'm not going to sit around waiting for that. I've put my respirator on and embraced the new normal. I have learned to live with covid. I'm not going out to restaurants in a futile attempt to insist that life 2019-style is back, because it never will be, but I'm going to live the best life that I can given the limitations imposed on me by reality.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kylaer posted:

I'd pay an arm for child size P100s.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1469751460271308801?s=20

she can't keep getting away with this

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
im gunna keep buying legos and smoking weed

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

biden should use the defense authorization act to prioritize for servers for Squenix.

These cues to get in to ffxiv are ridiculous

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
lol China is beating our asses so hard

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1469739731525140480

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1469766835818020866?s=20

what experiments is she planning

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/tylerblack32/status/1469380408563277828?s=21

https://twitter.com/tylerblack32/status/1469380413193801731?s=21

I like how it took the experts two years to come around to the idea that an uncontrolled pandemic might have negative effects on the mental health of children.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1469677430944243715

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1469679827993214983

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1469681758828482566

mystes
May 31, 2006

Telling cancer patients not to wear masks?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1469751086877589506?s=20
https://twitter.com/ndtv/status/1469526188456484869?s=20

gonna be awkward if she's wrong I guess

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mystes posted:

Telling cancer patients not to wear masks?

My technical analysis of covid trends indicate that masks shouldn't be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Has it been awkward for anyone else during this pandemic?