Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’ve been playing since 2.0 or 2.1 (I can’t remember which) and it was very good imho, as good as ShB if not better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They've had Y'shtola since the beginning.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I started in 2.1 and ew and shb are close enough for me I'm going to need a but more distance and lessening of recency bias to tell for sure

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ape Fist posted:

I SUNDER US

wait why

I SUNDER US

again, why?

I SUNDER US

??????????? ok?

The reason literally hasn't changed at all since ShB you weirdo. She sundered everything because they would go on to try and sacrifice the new life to try and pointlessly grasp at the perfect days of yore and in doing so hopefully the new life can succeed at overcoming the poo poo they had failed to actually deal with without all the genocide sacrifice the new life would be.. Even Emet says they planned to in ShB. Why are you acting like that's changed at all.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I started in like 2.55 so it's questionable if you count that as ARR but I'd put it between Stormblood and Heavensward, with Shadowbringers above it all. Nothing was really bad, but there was a similar split to the Doma/Ala Mhigo one in Stormblood that I feel had the same basic issues as that one did.

Also, just finished the healer role quest. It was alright. If nothing else I'm glad Fordola is finally getting rid of that collar, it was becoming increasingly dumb when the collaborator is being punished harder then the people they were collaborating with.

Also I will agree with the consensus that Meteion had issues but her appearance really wasn't one of them. I also agree that their deal is less Magical Girl and more shounen.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I started in like 5.3 and there's absolutely a lot of bullshit tedium in ShB. And I loved ShB. The highs make up for it though and so do EW's, imo. But the themes are hitting hard with some personal stuff in my life too.

It's I guess kinda like avengers or whatever where it's not perfect and probably not better than ShB - but it's definitely more impressive since they were able to bring it all together in a satisfying way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that Endwalker is closer in quality to Heavensward and Stormblood than Shadowbringer but SB and HW were good and fun expansions I liked a lot so even if that were the case Endwalker would still probably have been a strong story and cool finale imo.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If I was just ranking expansion stories overall, it's easily ShB on top, untouched, HW after it, grudgingly I guess EW, and then SB.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that Endwalker is closer in quality to Heavensward and Stormblood than Shadowbringer but SB and HW were good and fun expansions I liked a lot so even if that were the case Endwalker would still probably have been a strong story and cool finale imo.

Oh yeah I'm not saying it's bad I'm just saying it's not as good as I was hoping for after Shadowbringers.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm sure this has been brought up but I'm too lazy to read the backlog but Ultima, the last boss of the Ivalice raid is totally one of Meteion's sisters right? Same headwings, fed off the despair and negative emotions of her adherents, etc!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm honestly not even sure what some people had such an incredibly strong emotional reaction to about Endwalker (like Zepla posted her video talking about how she found it heartbreaking and was basically sobbing again and I was just like :confused:) but I still loved it.

Aside from that one Urianger scene of course that one got me good.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The reason literally hasn't changed at all since ShB you weirdo. She sundered everything because they would go on to try and sacrifice the new life to try and pointlessly grasp at the perfect days of yore and in doing so hopefully the new life can succeed at overcoming the poo poo they had failed to actually deal with without all the genocide sacrifice the new life would be.. Even Emet says they planned to in ShB. Why are you acting like that's changed at all.

Either for a reaction or because they really want to show their whole rear end that they didn’t understand what was going on at all.

Also I wonder how much of the story ranking differences are because of when exactly you played through it the first time. Like, the end of the dragon song war was incredibly strong, but I played HW at launch and there was a gently caress load of tedious bullshit in there. If you didn’t have to do so much moogle stuff, though, I could see why it wasn’t as bad as I remember it.

I personally liked shb the best, but I can absolutely see why someone would rank ew over it. They’re very close, and there are not massive plot holes like people are trying to argue, it all makes sense with a tiny bit of extra thought.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Shadowbringers made me cry a couple of times, Endwalker did not. Ergo Shadowbringers was better.

Started in 2.0 for the record.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Shadowbringers made me cry a couple of times, Endwalker did not. Ergo Shadowbringers was better.

Started in 2.0 for the record.

I had the exact opposite reaction. And also started in 2.0

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd be interested to see how people who have been around since ARR feel about it vs. folks who started playing within the last two years.

As I hath been invoked, thus shall I provide mine perspective: It was good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm honestly not even sure what some people had such an incredibly strong emotional reaction to about Endwalker (like Zepla posted her video talking about how she found it heartbreaking and was basically sobbing again and I was just like :confused:) but I still loved it.

Aside from that one Urianger scene of course that one got me good.

Honestly the short scene of Hythlodaeus barely holding together a smile as he left Hades and went off to be sacrificed got me worse than anything else, after hanging out with them like normal people for the chapter and the game but saying they're an item it really underlined what personal tragedies it for everyone involved, and for me at least did far more to explain how Hades ended up that way than any amount of partial-tempering technobabble

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm sure this has been brought up but I'm too lazy to read the backlog but Ultima, the last boss of the Ivalice raid is totally one of Meteion's sisters right? Same headwings, fed off the despair and negative emotions of her adherents, etc!!!

Nah, Ultima is your classic JRPG Space Flea that just showed up one day without any explanation or backstory, unrelated to anything else in the setting. Also while Ultima may have fed off of negative emotions she still wanted to be in charge, a god to rule over a living world.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Two questions now I've beaten this:

* What was Fandaniel's actual job (it occurred to me more than once that those little tokens are just job crystals!) on the Convocation? At some point an NPC gives you a rundown but I've forgotten already.

* Didn't we learn in ShB that a sound associated with the Final Days was heard to come from below the ground? Or am I imagining it and it was just a mysterious sound (possibly a roar...?)

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I started playing in 6.3. lemme tell you about ww3 so you can uhhhhhhh make sure it happens? I got defense stocks and things worked out pretty good for me, y'know?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ferrinus posted:

Two questions now I've beaten this:

* What was Fandaniel's actual job (it occurred to me more than once that those little tokens are just job crystals!) on the Convocation? At some point an NPC gives you a rundown but I've forgotten already.

* Didn't we learn in ShB that a sound associated with the Final Days was heard to come from below the ground? Or am I imagining it and it was just a mysterious sound (possibly a roar...?)

"pursuer of extant phenomena"

so he's being judged for his suitability based on his knowledge of obscure bullshit like dynamis

the sound coming from the ground was mentioned in EW itself. it remains an inconsistency that is probably going to be settled in patches, most likely in pandemonium

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 11, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Fandaniel was the pursuer of extant phenomena.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 11, 2021

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ferrinus posted:

Since the Ancients could not perceive Dynamis, they could only see the reaction of the world's Aether to the shock of the attack.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

I believe that the line is that it was a "keening cry from the earth", which I think is ambiguous enough to be anything, and also Emet-Selch (and the ancients in general) is an unreliable narrator at that point due to not knowing what the gently caress is happening.

And as someone else pointed out, if you strike a bell, the sound comes from the bell, even if you're the one that struck it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

multijoe posted:

Honestly the short scene of Hythlodaeus barely holding together a smile as he left Hades and went off to be sacrificed got me worse than anything else, after hanging out with them like normal people for the chapter and the game but saying they're an item it really underlined what personal tragedies it for everyone involved, and for me at least did far more to explain how Hades ended up that way than any amount of partial-tempering technobabble

Uhm, Emet and Hyth aren't an item because Emet is married to Azem and her name is Persephone. :colbert:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My assumption was just that the dynamis impact made the planet itself "cry"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eimi posted:

Uhm, Emet and Hyth aren't an item because Emet is married to Azem and her name is Persephone. :colbert:

it's okay, we can be a throuple, or a quad...ouple...with Venat.

That's all the convocation was, it was one big polycule

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

Hythlo really hopes the three of you can be reincarnated together again one day ;) ;) ;)

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Eimi posted:

Hades has two hands.

Also I'm sorry, I know the symbolism is important and all but the long haired look doesn't work half as well as his Solus hairstyle.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eimi posted:

Excuse you but my Azem's relationship dynamic was entierly based on Emet "getting dunked on", thank you very much.

On a serious note someone on reddit screencapped the Convocation Seats that we know the roles of:

Nabriales, Emmeroloth and Deudalaphon are still unknown unless they're mentioned in a sidequest. Also I love the idea of Gaia just knowing random animal facts and telling them all smugly to Ryne.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

can we go back to posting smirk.png instead of rehashing the same argument for ten more pages :v:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Fister Roboto posted:

Also, compared to a lot of other long running series' endings, that it mostly stuck the landing (but kind of stumbled) is impressive to me. Especially compared to series like, say, Mass Effect, that not only didn't stick the landing, but also fell over and poo poo their pants for good measure.

This was, by far, the most important thing for me. I remember mass effect, and game of thrones, and a number of other series that all culminate the same way - years to a full decade of capturing the imagination and drawing out a complex, involved storyline of intersecting plots and character arcs only to ultimately collapse under the weight of their own ambitions, let down by the failings of the people telling the stories.

I had a lot of faith in the writers of FFXIV after Shadowbringers but the fear that they wouldn’t stick the landing, after all this time, was perched on my shoulder from the very moment they announced the expansion.

They did, though. To me the fact that they carried a consistent thematic arc through the campaign, did justice to the many adventures we’ve had and characters we’ve met, paid off many plot threads left to dangle since early days…. That honestly and legitimately forgives every fault for me, every single one. I have criticisms, yes, but they all pale against them sticking the landing, against all odds.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

it's okay, we can be a throuple, or a quad...ouple...with Venat.

That's all the convocation was, it was one big polycule

multijoe posted:

Hythlo really hopes the three of you can be reincarnated together again one day ;) ;) ;)

:hmmyes: Also I was really sad that we didn't get a dialogue choice to say that we would meet again. Though for me my buy in with the ancient stuff is insanely high so like if the game let me claim the title of Azem I'd do it in a heartbeat. :v:

Also with the discussion of the other convocation members, I do wish we got to see Mitron, or at least their pronoun used, because I remember someone posted something about how in French Mitron was referred to as a woman. I would have loved to have seen them, ideally as a woman, but anyway just their 'true' form to clear that up since unless they show up in Pandaemonium, we won't see them again.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
There's a side quest where you encounter some of their students who are there to get a flower for Loghrif. They pointedly don't specify a pronoun for Mitron.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Same, but I think the fact we're not seeing it is, in fact, a hint in and of itself. They wouldn't need to hide their pronouns if they were he/him, after all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of (sorta), I'm sad that post-MSQ, Ryne isn't hanging out anywhere. I just want to tell her I saved the world and she can stop worrying...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of (sorta), I'm sad that post-MSQ, Ryne isn't hanging out anywhere. I just want to tell her I saved the world and she can stop worrying...

Oh, one of my favorite things about Endwalker, is that Thancred is a significantly better dad when all he has to do is worry from afar. It is nice how often he brings up Ryne.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm not super surprised there are folks who don't like Meteion, but I really liked that character. I liked he story and it probably also helped that I thought her voice acting was really good

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

I feel like it's not an accident that Ra-La's face looks so much like Meteion's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'm not super surprised there are folks who don't like Meteion, but I really liked that character. I liked he story and it probably also helped that I thought her voice acting was really good

I think they did a really good job with her. It was clear they were gonna introduce something new to explain the Final Days but I didn't know if it would be a new character or just some force/entity that Zenos or Fandaniel took control of. I think they did an excellent job of introducing her and showing exactly how she became what she did in a way that fit in perfectly with FFXIV's established cosmos.