Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I kind of missed the discussion earlier on the Raimi Spider-Men movies earlier but to add my 2 cents, I think SM2 is still my favorite Spider-Man movie on the basis that it's a Spider-Man movie where as the Holland movies feel more like MCU movies that star Spider-Man. It's kind of like buying an issue of Amazing Spider-Man versus buying some team up comic like Avengers/Spider-Man & the X-Men/etc. where Spider-Man happens to be guesting or co-starring. ASM (the comic) features other heroes sometimes, sure, but by and large it's just Peter. So while I think Homecoming is probably the best one overall, it's not just a Spider-Man movie, it's the Spidey and Iron Man show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think that the Holland Spidermans are more consistent overall but SM2 has the highest highs.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I would like the Rami movies way more if they had cast anyone else as the leads. Maguire and Dunst had negative chemistry with each other and their toxic relationship just drags everything to a halt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

I would like the Rami movies way more if they had cast anyone else as the leads. Maguire and Dunst had negative chemistry with each other and their toxic relationship just drags everything to a halt.

I maintain that Gyllenhaal would've been better.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I marathonned Spider-Man 1 through 3, Amazing 1 and 2, and Homecoming last night. I remembered liking Amazing 1 and thinking Amazing 2 was fine with some glaring problems, but I think I liked them both a lot better the second time around. I also really liked Spider-Man 3 a lot more. Everything that's not black costume-related is pretty darned great. At the end of the day, though, I really feel the Holland movies are the best.

Am I just... old and like liking things more?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gaz-L posted:

I maintain that Gyllenhaal would've been better.

agreed

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Supposedly the poster for Thor Four is in the wild:
https://twitter.com/CinematicLeaks/status/1469695102964674567

Those are definitely duder's goats, Jane Thor and... Eric Masterson wielding Stormbreaker? And Thor's new suit seems to be taking some color cues from Party Thor.

...If this movie has every Thor in it except Bill I'm gonna be irritable

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think that's just Casual Thor with Stormbreaker.

But hell, if we get Thunderstrike out of this, I'm in.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
which character has a chtulu face (upper left)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

which character has a chtulu face (upper left)

Stormbringer. Try to be nice. It’s very sensitive about it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Can't wait for the MCU debut of Ahegao Goat.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Better look

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1469717220414603274

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Stormbringer. Try to be nice. It’s very sensitive about it.

ooh, okay yeah. it's easier to see with that second tweet

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

We got goats!! :stoked:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Finally, Toothgnasher and the other goat get the recognition they deserve!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SM3 rewatch.

I think this movie gets a lot of hate as being a really bad film. But I mostly ended up enjoying myself, even though there are some weak rear end parts to the film.

Honestly the first 40 minutes of the film are fine and serve as a solid intro. It is nice if for only a little bit to see MJ and Peter's relationship as functional. The first fight with Harry as New Goblin works well. In fact I think Harry's arc in this film is the highlight of the film. Frnaco does a great job and the chemistry he displays throughout the film is a huge plus and a stark contrast to Dunst's MJ who at times has negative chemistry. It isn't her fault, she isn't handed much to work with.

Gwen being introduced in this film just to be a damsel in distress for like 2 minutes and Peter's date to the jazz club...it literally could've been anyone and there's no particular purpose she is here for. In fact she's pretty much a MJ clone. This set of movies gets a lot right about the basis for the comics but they really butcher Gwen and MJ in these films.

Some of the CG in the first two films is awful but I think the CG in this film, particularly Sandman, holds up really well.

I really like how this film introduces future villains. Conners just having some lizard stuff in the background is a nice nod to his comic origins. The Webb films they practically hit you over the head with future villain introductions and try to bring attention to the various villain set ups.

Peter and MJ are still incredibly toxic to each other. SM2 is good, this movie is...okay, Sm1 is boring.

Next up is Spider-Verse before I move on to MCU rewatches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

Finally, Toothgnasher and the other goat get the recognition they deserve!

Please give Toothgrinder the respect they deserve

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

SM3 rewatch.

Gwen being introduced in this film just to be a damsel in distress for like 2 minutes and Peter's date to the jazz club...it literally could've been anyone and there's no particular purpose she is here for. In fact she's pretty much a MJ clone. This set of movies gets a lot right about the basis for the comics but they really butcher Gwen and MJ in these films.

In fairness, people tend to forget that Gwen was kind of a party girl at first as well. The whole 'she's the Betty to MJ's Veronica' thing is almost more a posthumous retcon. They were pretty similar at first.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm confused because I kept thinking Love & Thunder was going to have the Guardians of the Galaxy in it. Did that whole plotline just get scrapped because of the James Gunn stuff that happened?

I also realized that I have no idea what the conflict of this movie is going to be and the poster doesn't have a villain or anything, so I'm going to guess that it's just a rom-com between Valkyrie, Thor, Jane, and Korg, and I'm going to be absolutely devastated when it's not that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Drax might have a cameo, but no, it's that Hemsworth is gonna be in Guardians 3.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I think Drax might have a cameo, but no, it's that Hemsworth is gonna be in Guardians 3.

Yeah, Thor is going to be in GoTG 3 and it should, perhaps, lead to Love and Thunder.

Jamesman posted:

I also realized that I have no idea what the conflict of this movie is going to be and the poster doesn't have a villain or anything, so I'm going to guess that it's just a rom-com between Valkyrie, Thor, Jane, and Korg, and I'm going to be absolutely devastated when it's not that.

Oh God, I want that so bad. (The bad guy is Skinny and Bald Christian Bale aka Gorr the God Butcher)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh God, I want that so bad. (The bad guy is Skinny and Bald Christian Bale aka Gorr the God Butcher)

And so we’re one step closer to Knull

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Chris Pratt was confirmed by THR, and they've spotted other actors going to where it was being filmed. So it'll probably have all the Guardians, but likely just in small roles.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, Thor is going to be in GoTG 3 and it should, perhaps, lead to Love and Thunder.

Thor 4 comes out almost a year sooner, so that'd be real weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Guardians just started filming.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

"We're having a tough time coming up with a central idea for this Thor: Love and Thunder poster."

"Just use all the promo art."

"Um... All of it?"

"You heard me."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Endless Mike posted:

Please give Toothgrinder the respect they deserve

I did. :colbert:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And so we’re one step closer to Knull

Please. I need the stupidest stuff possible on screen. It's not like DC is going to make a movie about The Batmanhattan Who Laughs any time soon

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think there were some set photos showing Pratt and maybe some of the other Guardians a while back, but I'm betting they'll just be in the start and then Thor will go off on his own or something.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

theironjef posted:

Thor 4 comes out almost a year sooner, so that'd be real weird.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, Guardians just started filming.
I forgot lmao and
I lost sense of time during the pandemic.

:lol:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

Some of the CG in the first two films is awful but I think the CG in this film, particularly Sandman, holds up really well.

Agreed about Sandman, but I'd actually argue the CG in 3 drops in quality from 2. The CG Spider-Man has a weirdly elongated rubbery weightless form in 3, whereas in 2 he feels heavy and attune with the rest of the photography in terms of lighting etc. This is most noticeable in the extended Spider-Man 2.1 cut in the train scene. The extra shots were completed during the production of 3 and there's a significant drop in quality between the extra shots and the ones from the theatrical. A more palpable example is to compare the bank fight in 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_6Eo6zFA_g), and the armoured car chase in 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZaqHyHFCzc). The CG in the bank fight looks way, way better, whereas there are some VERY dodgy shots in the armoured car chase - particularly Spider-Man's initial swing in.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 12, 2021

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

this will look great on my van

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Next up is Spider-Verse before I move on to MCU rewatches.

Do yourself a favor and watch MCU first.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

lmao

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/1469837903186563075

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

In fairness, people tend to forget that Gwen was kind of a party girl at first as well. The whole 'she's the Betty to MJ's Veronica' thing is almost more a posthumous retcon. They were pretty similar at first.

Everything I know about Spidey is mostly 90s stuff. My only knowledge of Gwen was that she was killed by Green Goblin. I honestly didn't know that her and MJ were even contemporaries (they were contemporaries, right?)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MJ and Gwen were friends, yeah.

It's been said before, but Gwen didn't really have much depth as a character. There's been more added to her after her death than there was when she was alive.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All this is why I think MCU will never have Gwen the Dead Girlfriend, but Gwen, Ghost-Spider/Spider-Gwen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

All this is why I think MCU will never have Gwen the Dead Girlfriend, but Gwen, Ghost-Spider/Spider-Gwen.

oh for sure, killing girlfriends just doesn't play well in modern day, it's not shocking like it was back in the day, and it's just problematic.

Plus if you want to be cynical about it, MCU movies are bloodless affairs where you can count non-villain deaths on your fingers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Veotax posted:

I think there were some set photos showing Pratt and maybe some of the other Guardians a while back, but I'm betting they'll just be in the start and then Thor will go off on his own or something.

That may have been from the Guardians Christmas Special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

That may have been from the Guardians Christmas Special.

Just googled it, looks like it was just Prat spotted back in February and all the sites I've seen are saying it was for Thor. Has the Christmas special started shooting yet?
I think this was around the time the photos of Natalie Protman looking jacked came around too.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/02/chris-hemsworth-and-chris-pratt-in-costume-for-thor-love-and-thunder-14004738/