Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If the show decides to make the Dragon into a Voltron of Rand, Mat, Perrin, and Egwene... that'd be, uh, dumb.

Edit: <vague mention implying that a character may at some point do something in a place deleted>

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

spoiler stuff

why are you posting this here? "if the show decides x well that's different from the books which is like THIS"

can any of you just cease? nobody wants it and it's super annoying trying to navigate every single post wondering if the spoilers are because the ep is new or if you're just going to randomly drop something that happens in book 12 or whatever with unmarked tags if the tags are even used at all.

there are other threads.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 11, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

God forbid someone should talk about the show in the show thread, you giant loving baby.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the no book spoilers thread, subtitle wheel of time tv show

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Why is this always so difficult

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're literally asking for book answers in the tv show thread

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

you're literally asking for book answers in the tv show thread

The point is to be an rear end. Not any actual questions. Look at that av!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I don't get why we don't have a no tolerance thread ban rule in effect here. How difficult is it to not come in to the one thread on the whole site that has a specific rule against spoiling this specific show and spoil poo poo?

Seriously. If someone posts spoiler poo poo in here just kick them out.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Good episode. Very gay. Lots of insight into how the tower works and some nice character development, I can't wait to see the two rivers crew grow more.

I kinda couldn't hear fisher dad and his daughter talking when their house was burned down, was there a reason it happened? Was that an Ajah symbol on the ruins? I'm confused.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Honestly I don't get why we don't have a no tolerance thread ban rule in effect here. How difficult is it to not come in to the one thread on the whole site that has a specific rule against spoiling this specific show and spoil poo poo?

Seriously. If someone posts spoiler poo poo in here just kick them out.

In absence of such a rule, I'll just stop posting here and unbookmark the thread so I'm not tempted immediately after an episode. As a filthy book-reader I want to compare and contrast the show with the books; this clearly isn't the place to mention bookish things even vaguely, so while it feels weird to post about the TV show in the book thread, in future if I absolutely must post about the show somewhere I'll post there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pham Nuwen posted:

In absence of such a rule, I'll just stop posting here and unbookmark the thread so I'm not tempted immediately after an episode. As a filthy book-reader I want to compare and contrast the show with the books; this clearly isn't the place to mention bookish things even vaguely, so while it feels weird to post about the TV show in the book thread, in future if I absolutely must post about the show somewhere I'll post there.

Just use the book thread that's literally what it's there for and what it's exclusively doing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Solefald posted:

Good episode. Very gay. Lots of insight into how the tower works and some nice character development, I can't wait to see the two rivers crew grow more.

I kinda couldn't hear fisher dad and his daughter talking when their house was burned down, was there a reason it happened? Was that an Ajah symbol on the ruins? I'm confused.

They lived in Tear, a nation where channeling is against the law, he basically told her to not channel in case someone saw and apparently someone did and they burned down their house as a result. The symbol is called the Dragon's Fang and is used as a symbol of harassment and to accuse people of being associated with the Dark One.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone in the book thread is posting about the TV show, it is fine.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Solefald posted:

The show's trivia page gives a bit more depth to it, but channeling by anyone, male or female, is outright illegal in Tear, the country she lived in. Which is why her dad got so nervous despite his obvious pride, when she channeled while they were out on the river.

The exact note in the trivia section is:

Amazon Prime X-Ray posted:

Channeling is illegal in Tear. Aes Sedai are tolerated and even respected, but they are expected to not use the One Power while in the country. When a girl discovers she can channel, she is forced to leave that same day and encouraged to never return.

I thought the symbol on the ruins had been noted in trivia too, but doesn't seem to be on a quick look, so I won't elaborate beyond that whoever burned it down obviously used it as a "get out of town NOW" shame mark.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
E: beaten

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Solefald posted:

Yeah the symbol is important.

I will spoiler tag this just in case? I'm a little unsure of the rules re: world stuff rather than plot stuff. No plot stuff is under the spoiler.

That's the "Dragon's Fang" which is basically how your neighbors anonymously tell your other neighbors and you how they're pretty sure you're a darkfriend. Getting it painted on your door is a big deal. It isn't usually paired with burning your house down (immediately, anyway) but just a painted symbol is less TV-friendly without context.

It looks like that because Jordan decided the yin-yang was perfect as a symbol for magic, and the black half is tainted saidin. The late 80's were wild.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Book readers must be gentled

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

withak posted:

Everyone in the book thread is posting about the TV show, it is fine.

Like the ski chalet full of girls looking for husbands and husbands looking for girls, the situation is not quite so symmetrical as it might seem

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

A complete non-spoiler is that we've seen the same symbol multiple times already. The dead sheep in the first episode were laid out in the same shape, and the blood from Nyneave's Trolloc formed it in the water.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will say that the show could have made it more obvious. I couldn’t see anything there and even rewatching it after seeing people talking about it, it took like three rewinds before I could make it out before they cut away

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
why are y'all talking so much about a comma

clearly the arsonists were angry punctuation enthusiasts

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Whoops wrong thread.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol anyway

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yes, good. That's what we want you to do.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Data Graham posted:

Like the ski chalet full of girls looking for husbands and husbands looking for girls, the situation is not quite so symmetrical as it might seem

This is the weirdest analogy I've ever heard ever.

As a book guy I'm just always excited to see how they're gonna do this or that. It's not gonna be the same, go to the book thread to whine about that. Like this way I get two wheels of time instead of the same one twice.

Really hope Mat gets sufficient screen time in 7/8 because as a character he gets shafted on development being sick/tainted by the Dagger. Ways look super cool just from that first peek.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Really hope Mat gets sufficient screen time in 7/8 because as a character he gets shafted on development being sick/tainted by the Dagger. Ways look super cool just from that first peek.

i hate to break it to you but that like insanely awkward bit at the end of 6 where he stays behind is probably due to barney harris, his actor, leaving the production for ??? reasons and them probably slapping together what they could to make it work while also not having him in 7 or 8 at all

this isn't even related to book or tv show spoilers it's just a thing we knew was happening for a bit and this seems to be the breaking off point before the new actor is in for season 2

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Johnny Joestar posted:

i hate to break it to you but that like insanely awkward bit at the end of 6 where he stays behind is probably due to barney harris, his actor, leaving the production for ??? reasons and them probably slapping together what they could to make it work while also not having him in 7 or 8 at all

this isn't even related to book or tv show spoilers it's just a thing we knew was happening for a bit and this seems to be the breaking off point before the new actor is in for season 2

I mean I am aware of the actor change I'm just hoping because Mat is cool.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Johnny Joestar posted:

Given the fact the character is now isolated from the rest of the main cast it's entirely possible they filmed some scenes for him once they hired a new actor, to give the character some parts in the last two episodes. The "Everyday Negroes" reactors presumably didn't know about the actor's situation, and think Mat is just hanging back both out of pragmatism, and because he wants to return to Tar Valon to get the dagger again. Which is entirely possible. Moiraine mentioned that if he got it again he could lose himself, and maybe him possessing it again and losing himself in some way is used to explain him looking physically different, if they had Barney Harris around to film one or two more minor connecting scenes before he finished. As is, it does feel like Moiraine curing Mat was just a bit quick and easy, with no real repercussions for Mat beyond being called stupid.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 12, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Solefald posted:

All spoilers are more detail into that symbol. I wouldn’t really consider them spoilers but spoiled just in case.

It was the dragon’s fang, a symbol associated with people who can channel the one power. Not everyone feels kindly toward women and men who can use the one power. Her father warned her against using the one power where people could see shortly before the hut was burned down.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 12, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Couple of other fun little bits I noticed on a rewatch with the 'no untrue statements' oath: Moiraine saying she has people watching for Rand and Mat's arrival has been pointed out as a lie, but it's possible for her to be obeying the oath there. Much like her saying she has it 'on good authority' they're safe, the statement doesn't actually require her to say anything untrue. She can have people watching for them even if the task is pointless. Hell, she might even have had them doing so and just not yet rescinded the order.

The other one that jumped out to me was when she talks about trust at the end. It was a nice beat to have her have to stop herself from saying she trusts them now, because it's not done in a way where I think it's calculated, but more she wanted to be able to say it, realised it wouldn't come out and had to quickly swerve. Like, she WANTS to trust them, but she just can't.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, do you blame her? Why the gently caress would she trust Mat, when she just pulled Shadar Logoth out of him because he couldn't keep his hands to himself? She might trust Egwene, who has basically helped and obeyed her all along, but even Nynaeve has constantly butted heads with her, while Rand and Perrin have mostly just been out of sight and done their own thing. There's really no good reason she should trust them at the moment.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The way they resolved the Evil Dagger situation felt extremely "easy" and perfunctory to me; I hope we get to spend slightly more time with that plot point whenever it is that Mat rejoins the show. If he's truly out until s2 after this, his entire arc this season will have been "stole a cursed relic, made friends with a busker, got really sick, got better, then flaked out on the adventure and went back to the hotel." Which is a bit lame.

Other than that, great episode. I enormously enjoyed the tiny moment where Siuan was praising Nynaeve's magic talent and Egwene thinks that it's addressed to her and gets all conceited for half a second.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I have to give a shout out to the x-ray person, because Loial is listed as "Loial son of Arent son of Hal..."

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

King of Bleh posted:

The way they resolved the Evil Dagger situation felt extremely "easy" and perfunctory to me; I hope we get to spend slightly more time with that plot point whenever it is that Mat rejoins the show. If he's truly out until s2 after this, his entire arc this season will have been "stole a cursed relic, made friends with a busker, got really sick, got better, then flaked out on the adventure and went back to the hotel." Which is a bit lame.

Other than that, great episode. I enormously enjoyed the tiny moment where Siuan was praising Nynaeve's magic talent and Egwene thinks that it's addressed to her and gets all conceited for half a second.

It's moments like that that show you that the writers really do understand the book characters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wouldn't it be funny if the next episode starts with Moiraine just opening the big TP gate again and everyone glares at Mat with their hands on their hips

That's what I would do if I were Rafe Judkins

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

King of Bleh posted:

If he's truly out until s2 after this, his entire arc this season will have been "stole a cursed relic, made friends with a busker, got really sick, got better, then flaked out on the adventure and went back to the hotel." Which is a bit lame.

That the show’s writers are willing to do this in just season 1 demonstrates that they have an exceptional grasp of the books and their plotting (/plodding :v:).

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, Mat choosing to stay behind works for his character even if it is purely an editing workaround. I didn't notice anything weird about how it was done at all and just thought 'yeah, Mat would do this'. He's a bit of a coward, and has been trying to get out of this for most of the show. It also didn't occur to me that Moraine could just re-open the Ways portal immediately - I assumed that once you were in the Ways, it's gonna be a journey to get anywhere at all and not a matter of just opening a portal back to that entrance. Then I came online and read all the stuff about this being the point where the actor left and it being a bit janky plotwise.

I mean from Moraine's perspective, any of them could be the one she 100% needs including Mat meaning there's now a 20% chance what she's about to do is completely pointless and will just get them all killed, dooming the world. Hopefully they address that, although I suppose the best thing they can do is have Moraine say 'that's a risk we have to take, there's no time'.

I am surprised at the haste of this plan in general though. It feels very end of the story, although obviously that's a misdirect since it's only the beginning. I was expecting their arrival at the white tower to initiate their training and testing to see which one it was. Right now, they're all just inexperienced villagers. Rand, Egwene and Mat haven't even shown any particularly interesting power/potential. Only Nyaneve and Perrin have. I know it's a fate thing where regardless of experience, the dragon reborn will just somehow survive and defeat the dark one, but it's all a very hasty plan.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
spoilers!!!

crepeface fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 12, 2021

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Corbeau posted:

Loved the scene of Moiraine absolutely obliterating Liandrin though. That's such a fantastic way to convey so much of what they've been struggling to convey about Moiraine's character.

What is that threat even supposed to imply? Is the man she's dating a channeler? Or the reds officially aren't allowed to date any men, meaning they're totalitarian on the whole new level in the already totalitarian white tower.
Remember, nobody even bats an eye Moiraine's sentence for not revealing what she was doing is indefinite exile reinforced by magical oath. Maybe whitecloaks were right all along and all these Aes Sedai are terrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What about “no book spoilers” in the title don’t you understand?