Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I reckon I can wait until Chinese NY for the 552. Taki actually had a good point for once about not relying on people to fix the firmware problems for free and the vendors getting away with it, I'm just so used to that and spoiled by Adam/351Elec.

Yeah that is was a really good point and yeah if this thing didn’t have android it would be DOA.

I’m happy with the screen they picked though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking for a handheld that can play SNES and PSX games. Would the RP2+ meet my needs? I have a hacked PSP and new 3DS XL so I'm not sure if I would be gaining functionality other than one system that does everything I want.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The RP2+ will cover you up to the lower end of GameCube and PS2. You can save some money by going for something a little bit less powerful like an RG280, but the 2+ is definitely the best bang for your buck

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

The RP2+ will cover you up to the lower end of GameCube and PS2. You can save some money by going for something a little bit less powerful like an RG280, but the 2+ is definitely the best bang for your buck

Yeah I would just wait a bit to make sure they’ve ironed out those build issues that cropped up but yeah that’s going to be the best bang for the buck.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The United States posted:

I look forward to seeing some 240fps phone camera videos demonstrating this latency on the RG552 if it is indeed the case

Latency in android is not that hard to detect.

-Open Super Mario World, in a standalone emu or with run-ahead off
-Press 'A'
-Pay attention to how long it takes between pressing the button and mario moving upward

Another good test is to open Mario 64 and tilt the stick around. I find input latency REALLY noticeable and frustrating with analog controls like that.

Your brain might be glossing over it until you actually start paying attention, but it's there, making every game that requires any kind of timing just a that bit harder for you without you realizing why. It does not require slow-motion capturing to identify.

I haven't tested it in an actual Android handheld dedicated to emulation so maybe they're doing something about it, maybe that's the reason it's using an old Android version, I don't know. It's too expensive to buy android-only devices just to find out. But given how many people for some reason keep insisting that latency doesn't matter or is "subjective" there aren't many people I'd trust to actually test it.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 8, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

zzMisc posted:

Latency in android is not that hard to detect.

-Open Super Mario World, in a standalone emu or with run-ahead off
-Press 'A'
-Pay attention to how long it takes between pressing the button and mario moving upward

Another good test is to open Mario 64 and tilt the stick around. I find input latency REALLY noticeable and frustrating with analog controls like that.

zzMisc posted:

I haven't tested it in an actual Android handheld dedicated to emulation
And I look forward to seeing some 240fps phone camera videos demonstrating and quantifying this latency instead of people just talking about it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I think putting Vita and Switch games at A performance is bit of a laugh considering how bad so many Vita and Switch games run.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think putting Vita and Switch games at A performance is bit of a laugh considering how bad so many Vita and Switch games run.

I’m Russ’s description he explains that the A is for native gameplay. So the Switchs ability to play Switch games is an A. Vita with vita games also an A

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I disagree with putting the Odin on there as well.

Have they even shipped out review units? Valve have at the very least been shipping dev units to people and I have 0 doubts the deck will ship.

The Odin on the other hand.... I'm sure it will ship eventually but who knows when that eventually actually is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's pretty funny that the Analogue Pocket will beat the Ayn Rand console to market, considering it all

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A little carnival horse game but it’s the RP2+, Analogue and Playdate and they’re all broken at the starting line.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The United States posted:

And I look forward to seeing some 240fps phone camera videos demonstrating and quantifying this latency instead of people just talking about it

Sorry to come off defensive, I thought you were being sarcastic. Often when I bring up input lag it gets dismissed like a non-issue.

I would really like to know for sure whether my concerns are justified or not, but the reviewers that have newer Android handhelds in their hands just don't seem interested in testing it. Maybe it actually isn't an issue at all but without reviewers mentioning it I can't know without holding one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly I think if it were an issue one of the dudes would have mentioned it. I haven’t seen anything about it so far.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

zzMisc posted:

Sorry to come off defensive, I thought you were being sarcastic. Often when I bring up input lag it gets dismissed like a non-issue.

I would really like to know for sure whether my concerns are justified or not, but the reviewers that have newer Android handhelds in their hands just don't seem interested in testing it. Maybe it actually isn't an issue at all but without reviewers mentioning it I can't know without holding one.

Input lag on Android devices has been my issue too, so I think the concern is legit. And you're right that pretty much no reviewer talks about it. I think it's just something that some people are sensitive to and some people are not and thus far the only solution I have found ordering any retro devices that run on Android via Amazon first if possible so I can easily return them. It's really only an issue with 16-bit era and before from my experience. Hopefully newer hardware will be strong enough to use run ahead and get rid of the lag without taking a frame rate hit.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Why DOES Android have such input lag anyway, is it just because there’s a bunch of overhead code slowing things down or is it something about how apps are made for it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hypothetical lag or not, Android is currently the only functional OS on the RG552

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSbll4j_JeQ

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Taki Udon's review of the 552: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSbll4j_JeQ

It looks like he did test latency for older systems on Android, and it looked good! In GBA at least. That's great to see.

You can kinda see it in the later Wind Waker video, where he presses the stick and link starts moving just a little bit later. I don't think anybody's expecting stellar Gamecube performance out of this thing to begin with, though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Android looks ok.

The nice screen is cool.

It seems to run DS games good so that’s a plus.

GameCube and PSP are a bit poo poo though lol

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, I'm feeling some slight buyer's remorse already, ha.

It's not really Anbernic's fault though, I guess? It's just at that screen size, the main things I would want to do over a 351 are run Gamecube, PSP, DS, and PS1. DS and PS1 look decent on Android, but then everything else is held back by its processing power. Then the question comes into play of what the better options are, and they're basically just old phones -- also running Android and potentially newer versions of it as well -- with possibly better screens. At that rate, the only advantage I'd have in keeping the 552 is that it's got the controls built in to its design.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taki did mention at the start of the video that the Linux version should be fixed.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah, I'm feeling some slight buyer's remorse already, ha.

I’m kinda at the same point but that ship has sailed because the drat thing shipped so fast lol.

The screen seems real nice though.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The worst part is I already have a MOQI i7s :negative: I'm not even sure how I got it, I know I drat well didn't spend $400 on it, but even on AliExpress it floats around that price.

Using Android is really good if you can manage to get through the initial setup hurdles. As my i7s stands now, it boots straight into Pegasus running the gameOS theme, so it functions the same as running Linux would on the RG552, but with the added advantage of me being able to drop back into Android to play something else. That and it's potentially one of the most powerful Android devices with built in controls still.

ETA did a video running Gamecube games on what appears to be a normal i7, but he's titled it the i7s, so I'm not completely sure. But in any case, it swims through almost all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vuUAE0QUII

I'm a dumb. Saving grace is that selling this on the Mart shouldn't be all too hard considering whoever buys it won't have to wait for a shipment from China to arrive and it'll essentially be brand new.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am totally fine just getting a Steam deck probably for my next handheld. My current 351 Anbernic runs everything fine up until N64 stuff and if I wanna play GameCube my current PC does that more or less ok.

Still a bit surprised Anbernic screwed up this bad with their new iteration though.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The RG552 seems to be what I was worried about from the initial leaks: it's definitely more powerful than the RG351 series, but not to the degree that more systems are consistently playable. PSP, Dreamcast and N64 have less issues but still have enough to not be worth buying the system for, and GameCube / PS2 / Saturn is firmly in "neat to mess around with, but consider it a bonus" territory.

Honestly, the RK3326 lineup was about as far as these things were going to be able to go without a significant jump in power.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Seems like we talk almost exclusively about handhelds itt, but I have a HK1 Box (aka Makeup Box) on the way that I'm going to use as a console for my living room TV setup. I had previously been using RetroPi with a Raspberry Pi 4 4gb, but this $45 Android TV box should wind up doing a better job. I've got some Xbox 360 controllers from Goodwill and one of the generic usb receivers and I'm ready to loving rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IlPDRTbMs0

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Analogue just announced that they’re opening up preorders again for the Pocket on Tuesday, with a $19 price hike. (Monday is when they’re supposed to start shipping out the first round of preorders, so, uh, we’ll see how that goes)

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1469336147922989061

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blotto_Otter posted:

Analogue just announced that they’re opening up preorders again for the Pocket on Tuesday, with a $19 price hike. (Monday is when they’re supposed to start shipping out the first round of preorders, so, uh, we’ll see how that goes)

But most importantly it's not limited number, if you want one you can order one (probably the best way to deal with scalpers that we have?)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Blotto_Otter posted:

Someone stop me from spending $300

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm going to order one and have no regrets about it. I kinda want it sooner rather than later though, so part of me is wondering what effect this "it's perpetually in stock" will have on its resale value.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's hard to say, but keep in mind they say that they're gonna have waves for the people who order starting Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1469336150255022091?t=hI-yo6gcrW_Bp7VE2N1klw&s=19

Playdate did a similar thing and the people who ordered even a few minutes of orders going live were pushed towards the end of 2022. The chain supply and parts shortages have really hosed with things.

Reviews drop Monday morning.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I still just want to order the Duo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Now that the Pocket is actually shipping, where should I be watching for updates on people cracking it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Smokemonster will probably have a video on the jailbreak in a day or two. Since they're letting developers make their own cores it'll be interesting to see how things go with this one.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm new to the retro handheld scene, but what's the big deal with the Pocket beyond the fact it can play physical cartridges? Like, all the games it can play seem easy to emulate on devices that can also emulate other systems as well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm new to the retro handheld scene, but what's the big deal with the Pocket beyond the fact it can play physical cartridges? Like, all the games it can play seem easy to emulate on devices that can also emulate other systems as well.

It's an FPGA based system that recreates the logic and timing of the original hardware so it's seen as a step beyond emulation for a lot of folks.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVVsJ0Hbqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAoLrbD0LlE

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It's an FPGA based system that recreates the logic and timing of the original hardware so it's seen as a step beyond emulation for a lot of folks.
Yeah it's the first portable MISTer, basically. Hardware-based emulation (with FPGAs) has the potential to be just as accurate and lag-free as the original hardware, but with the benefits of software-based emulation like save states.

Also it has a super high-res screen, far higher than any of these $100~ made in china emulation handhelds.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 11, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm sure Digital Foundry will have a review up this week, but in the mean time, here's their review of the Analogue Super NT, which should give you a basic idea of how FPGA based hardware emulation differs. The Pocket will basically be a version of this for GameBoy, Color, and Advance.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
And several other handholds plus tg16 with adapters. The other Analogue consoles mostly just do one console.

That and they added dev support so it seems likely it will probably support all 16 bit and earlier stuff in short order.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I said stop me from spending $300, not get my debit card out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

otter posted:

I said stop me from spending $300, not get my debit card out.

Think of it this way: you won't get it until 2023 and by then you'll have forgotten why you even wanted it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Russ has his preliminary thoughts out on the RG552

https://youtu.be/daHLELTAn9E