Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i gotta say, thats a well done tweeter video. perfect still-shot and then pan away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jel Shaker posted:

well at least it’s a boom time for builders and anyone involved in trades to undo all the damage

hey what do you mean that everything is now super expensive and you can’t even get the stuff thanks to supply problems

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Crow Buddy posted:

So, um... where are all those people driving to?

tornado levels your city you aren't gonna hop in the car and have some lmaos as you check out the destruction?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Humanity will mutate into a less severe form because otherwise it will run out of room to spread and die out.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's too bad that there isn't a single thing anyone can do about anything

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Stereotype posted:

it's too bad that there isn't a single thing anyone can do about anything

help, my i thought my toolbox was full of the collected knowledge of humankind, but when i open it there's nothing inside but a post-it note that reads "gently caress u lol lmao"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gravid Topiary posted:

help, my i thought my toolbox was full of the collected knowledge of humankind, but when i open it there's nothing inside but a post-it note that reads "gently caress u lol lmao"

Oh there's still hope.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

hey i got distracted watching omicron did vancouver ever result to cannabalism?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Crow Buddy posted:

To the polls I hope!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Xaris posted:

i gotta say, thats a well done tweeter video. perfect still-shot and then pan away

Strong Fallout intro video vibes.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i propose we simply vote the climate crisis away

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Crow Buddy posted:

do you think the entire town died or something, what is this post

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03OcZuf3zWo

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

quote:

A rapid review and meta-regression analyses of the toxicological impacts of microplastic exposure in human cells

Highlights

• Cytotoxicity, immune, barrier and oxidative stress endpoints are affected by MPs.
• A meta-regression of microplastic (MP) toxicity characteristics has been conducted.
• Irregular shape was the only MP characteristic predicting cell death.
• Thresholds of MP-induced toxic effects are at environmentally-relevant levels.

Abstract

Humans are exposed to microplastics (MPs) daily via ingestion and inhalation. It is not known whether this results in adverse health effects and, if so, at what levels of exposure. Without epidemiological studies, human cell in vitro MP toxicological studies provide an alternative approach to this question. This review systematically synthesised all evidence and estimated thresholds of dose–response relationships. MEDLINE and Web of Science were searched from inception to March 2021 and study quality was rated using a novel risk of bias assessment tool.

Seventeen studies were included in the rapid review and eight in the meta-regression. Four biological endpoints displayed MP-associated effects: cytotoxicity, immune response, oxidative stress, barrier attributes, and one did not (genotoxicity).

Irregular shape was found to be the only MP characteristic predicting cell death, along with the duration of exposure and MP concentration (μ;g/mL). Cells showed varying cytotoxic sensitivity to MPs, with Caco-2 cells (human adenocarcinoma cell line) being the most susceptible. Minimum, environmentally-relevant, concentrations of 10 μg/mL (5–200 µm), had an adverse effect on cell viability, and 20 μg/mL (0.4 µm) on cytokine release. This work is the first to quantify thresholds of MPs effects on human cells in the context of risk assessment.

:sickos:

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 07:58 on Dec 12, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i posted that before with a small comment but to reiterate, cell damage means nucleation point for cancer

related, or unrelated (you be the judge), millennials have an unprecedented rise in colon cancer that is actually shocking the medical world and colonoscopy screening age is rapidly dropping (i think its at 45 now?) and will likely drop to 35/40 soon not that far off in our life spans.

https://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/news/20170228/colon-cancer-on-the-rise-among-gen-xers-millennials

quote:

In recent decades, more young people have developed colon and rectal cancers than before. The rate of colon cancer found in those ages 20-29 rose up to 2.4 percent per year from the mid-1980s through 2013, while the rate of rectal cancer among that age group rose 3.2 percent per year since the mid-1970s.

Over time, this steady increase has produced an alarming trend: Millennials are about twice as likely to develop colon cancer and four times as likely to develop rectal cancer compared to people born in 1950.

it's gotten even worse since 2017. it's basically the millennial (and genx) disease de jour at the moment.

get your buttholes checked out ppl

edit: I do want to point out that most everything I've ever posted ITT is largely correlation based. it's easy for internet to make people think they're experts about anything, everything, all of the time. I'm not a researcher privy to secret arcane knowledge; most people online aren't either. correlation != causation, and rightfully so. however, i think there is far too much overwhelming amount of evidence for problems (obesity, fertility, autism/brain problems, cancer, etc) arising in humans and animals that points to we certainly hosed something up real good. everything is likely multi-faceted. in buttcancer case, it could be that gen-x/millennials tend to be more sedentary lifestyles than most of what came before, and maybe we eat more processed foods sans fiber than before, and that's probably a contributing factor. yet, it seems like an no brainer that dumping a zillion gigatons of endocrine disrupting and cellular-interfering petrochemical-made pollutants into everything isn't going to have no consequences at all.

so in light of not being able to actually determine true causation, correlations and educated guesses are about the best we have. as always, more research is needed to say anything definitively -- and yet little funded.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:03 on Dec 12, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you'd think microplastics would do something cool

all we get from it is butt cancer?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
hold onto your butts

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

bobmarleysghost posted:

i propose we simply vote the climate crisis away

didn’t you hear? by 2040 New York will be carbon neutral. they’re already on it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LionArcher posted:

didn’t you hear? by 2040 New York will be carbon neutral. they’re already on it.

And cryptocurrency is green because it doesn't require the use of refined materials for the production of hard currency! It just destroys the ecosystem, but I have it on good authority from my weed guy that his plants are doing just fine! :downs:

Alexa, make a note for me: "Planting weed instead of trees for carbon capture, question mark."

By the way (back to seriousness here): https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/growing-ounce-pot-indoors-can-emit-much-carbon-burning-full-tank-gas-180977240/

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 09:36 on Dec 12, 2021

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And cryptocurrency is green because it doesn't require the use of refined materials for the production of hard currency! It just destroys the ecosystem, but I have it on good authority from my weed guy that his plants are doing just fine! :downs:

Alexa, make a note for me: "Planting weed instead of trees for carbon capture, question mark."

By the way (back to seriousness here): https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/growing-ounce-pot-indoors-can-emit-much-carbon-burning-full-tank-gas-180977240/

These grows are legal now why don't they just do it outside like the sun is free what the gently caress lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

IAMKOREA posted:

These grows are legal now why don't they just do it outside like the sun is free what the gently caress lol

Because primo ganja needs to be cultivated, maaaaaan!

You need, like, computer-assisted motherfuckin' *lights* and irrigation systems to totally shift the paradigms and max out that THC content like BEAST MODE. I mean, you *could* grow it outside if you, like, wanna trust Mother Nature with your grow op, but here in ~the real world~ if you want top price for your crop you've gotta pay to play, brah. Those paradigms, man. Gotta shift 'em. :smug:

:sigh:

And people wonder why "hardcore into weed" and "hardcore into crypto" is a Venn diagram that's almost two concentric circles.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because primo ganja needs to be cultivated, maaaaaan!

You need, like, computer-assisted motherfuckin' *lights* and irrigation systems to totally shift the paradigms and max out that THC content like BEAST MODE. I mean, you *could* grow it outside if you, like, wanna trust Mother Nature with your grow op, but here in ~the real world~ if you want top price for your crop you've gotta pay to play, brah. Those paradigms, man. Gotta shift 'em. :smug:

:sigh:

And people wonder why "hardcore into weed" and "hardcore into crypto" is a Venn diagram that's almost two concentric circles.

Maybe an enterprising outdoor grower needs to start a wine snob type movement by going on and on about their unique terroir.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

still I’m the denial phase I see.

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1469951786194636803?s=20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Someone needs to rise up and DO SOMETHING! But until that happens I'll be right here, farming for clicks, likes, and followers." :v:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rectal Death Adept posted:

you'd think microplastics would do something cool

all we get from it is butt cancer?
all we get from it is butt cancer so far

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I was promised bimbofication from microplastics, not rear end cancer

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Someone needs to rise up and DO SOMETHING! But until that happens I'll be right here, farming for clicks, likes, and followers." :v:

better a stochastic terrorist than a real one any day

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Perry Mason Jar posted:

There's a thread that runs through all major religions and many spiritual practices: One-ness. Unity. All-Being. Separation as illusion. Otherness as illusion.

But its inverse is also a spiritual practice. That is, we are offered two choices again and again: love of the self or love of others (or other-selves, as it were). Making the choice is the spiritual practice in itself. If you choose neither (not choosing) or something in between (non-choosing) then you get an F on your spiritual quiz. By the by, conscious choosing of love-of-the-self does not require the belief that separation isn't an illusion.

Religions at their purest and spiritual practices, all of them, are systems and tools for psycho-social personal development, for refinement of the self-ish will, intentionality, and therefore one's capability to effect change, whether that change is within or without. It should be obvious that this doesn't require a belief in God per se.

otoh, 'spirituality' is a drug people take so they can suppress their ability to think and float through life without feeling or caring about anything but their inner peace.

and like. we don't live in a 'materialist' society. that's new age bafflegab. there is no functional difference between people who are trying to get happiness from outside themselves, and people who are trying to get happiness inside themselves.

they're both narcissistic idealists for whom the only thing that's real is their own emotional states. they're babies.

emTme3 has issued a correction as of 11:43 on Dec 12, 2021

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Azathoth posted:

for the record, only thing objectionable in that post was "you start blowing up cars and killing the people who drive them", but that's a doozy

no one's telling you not to be really down on the state of the world and super depressed. world's a hosed up place. i don't personally think it's healthy, but that's not any of my business.

but talking about indiscriminate killing because lol nothing matters, that's always gonna earn some time off and possibly a ban depending on context

ok so I totally get that I was brinkposting recklessly and deserved the probe. for my own clarification, what is the difference between my incitement to violence, and this emoticon :killing:

cuz like, that's a real emoticon that this forum has, and it gets used a lot! kinda sets the tone.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mameluke posted:

better a stochastic terrorist than a real one any day

It's easier to think of Twitter as a sequel to Farmville. A bunch of people hoping, usually in vain, that someone will visit their farm account page and harvest retweet their corn braindumps.

splifyphus posted:

ok so I totally get that I was brinkposting recklessly and deserved the probe. for my own clarification, what is the difference between my incitement to violence, and this emoticon :killing:

cuz like, that's a real emoticon that this forum has, and it gets used a lot! kinda sets the tone.

:munch:

:commissar: exists too, but the Maoist Goons haven't gone all Red Guard on anyone...yet.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 11:44 on Dec 12, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just received a job offer making 3x more than I ever have, basically set for life.

I start Jan 18 so I'm assuming the collapse will come on Jan 16 or so.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I just received a job offer making 3x more than I ever have, basically set for life.

I start Jan 18 so I'm assuming the collapse will come on Jan 16 or so.

Congratulations comrade

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Xaris posted:

related, or unrelated (you be the judge), millennials have an unprecedented rise in colon cancer that is actually shocking the medical world and colonoscopy screening age is rapidly dropping (i think its at 45 now?) and will likely drop to 35/40 soon not that far off in our life spans.

it's gotten even worse since 2017. it's basically the millennial (and genx) disease de jour at the moment.

get your buttholes checked out ppl

Anecdote here: of the 3 high school classmates that I know have died, one died in Iraq and two were women who died of colon cancer in their early 30's.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Of all our climate emissions:

61% have been released while Patrick Leahy was serving in the US Senate.
54% have been released while Steny Hoyer was serving in the US House.
48% have been released while Nancy Pelosi was serving in the US House.
42% have been released while Dianne Feinstein was serving in the US Senate.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Because pest control outside is a huge pain in the rear end. spider mites... got danged spider mites.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

everytime i try to show stuff like this to normal people they will dismiss you as a lunatic. we need an alternative to this "you need to accept a much lower standard of living than previous generations" poo poo cause it's not selling!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

pulling up to a stoplight with like 20 single passenger cars at it is making me feel uncomfortable.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

trains. literally just build out a rail network. I hate flying. I hate driving. let me sit in a loving traincar and enjoy the view, a nice book, and a loving nap. i don't care if it means I get there 10 hours later vs 2.5 hours in a plane

lower standard of living? gently caress you. who the gently caress wants to wake up at 4 am to drive 4 hours to the airport and then get grubby hands all over you and your luggage only to sit in a tiny cramped vibrating tube for 2.5 hours??? that's a high standard of living? eat poo poo. simply take the light rail to the train station then take the high speed train to wherever the gently caress you want. relax. enjoy life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lady Militant posted:

everytime i try to show stuff like this to normal people they will dismiss you as a lunatic. we need an alternative to this "you need to accept a much lower standard of living than previous generations" poo poo cause it's not selling!

you have to first get them to recognize that consumption isn't actually tied to standard of living.

like we need to massively reduce the miles we drive cars each year, even if we waved the magic EV wand.

and instead the focus being "but but but I need to roadtrip to visit my family because i was forced to take a job 2,000 miles away or die under capitalism"

it could be "that means you'll never have to sit in traffic on your commute ever again"

like that's the joke of climate change, we as human beings, aren't actually benefiting from all these emissions, only our corporations really are.