Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Screaming about castle doctrine as I slam a mag into my ar-15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tornado rips the house roof off
Texan shoots an elephant gunt at it
Broke into the wrong god drat rec room didn't you you bastard!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

Screaming about castle doctrine as I slam a mag into my ar-15.

NOT TODAY, AEOLUS! :clint:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Tornado rips the house roof off
Texan shoots an elephant gunt at it
Broke into the wrong god drat rec room didn't you you bastard!

This is a good reference.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Shelters in Texas depends on where - when I lived near the panhandle we had one. When we moved to east Texas, we couldn’t have one. Different dirt and water tables.

I would imagine thats also the case in these places - some places you can have them, some you could but it would be a pain to get it dug, others its just not really a thing.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

You'd need a pretty good shelter to get through this:

Even the old school brick buildings that you'd expect to have a 50s era fallout shelter sign tacked to them are bombed out.

It's looking to be close to some of the current record holders if not beating them.

luchadornado posted:

300 mile track. Not saying a tornado was down the whole time, but that's a long-lived supercell.

I think this is the first time I recall seeing a three-body scatter spike from debris:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
In December no less. God drat.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1469766454669201415?t=PBi_5mL6YNNapfY4wzjCrQ&s=19

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

I thought we were getting a new Fallout for a minute.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fknlo posted:

In December no less. God drat.

It's going to keep happening and it's going to get worse.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
well the US rejoined the Paris Climate Agreement so this should take care of itself sooner than later :)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCain...utm_name=iossmf

Meant to post the screenshot earlier today. She also posted some other loving doozies.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.military.com/daily-news...018-battle.html

military.com posted:

New details of a harrowing 12-hour battle in Afghanistan emerged this week as an F-16 pilot was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for helping to repel an elite Taliban unit during the deadly firefight.

Dozens gathered Sunday in the main hangar of the Oklahoma Air National Guard's 138th Fighter Wing to honor Lt. Col. Michael "Fist" Coloney, more than three years after the actions that earned him the nation's fourth-highest medal given for valor.

In an awards ceremony speech, Coloney called April 30, 2018, "a very stressful day."

"I could have used some Gold Bond powder," he added.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gold Bond is for Air Force flyboys only. Navy gotta find their own nut powder.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I'm sure there is a great story behind that callsign.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Well explains why he wants Gold Bond. :v:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Air Force loves making callsigns a pun on your name, so it's probably just the fact that his last name has "colon" in it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Is his last name pronounced like his rank? :haw:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Soul Dentist posted:

Is his last name pronounced like his rank? :haw:

Lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is there a Mike Olon here. I'm looking for Mike Olon

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My head is saying his name is pronounced like "Kearney" but I can definitely believe people butcher it worse.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Colony baloney

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Air Force loves making callsigns a pun on your name, so it's probably just the fact that his last name has "colon" in it.

There's usually also a thing going on where they have an innocent explanation and then The Real Story

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It'll be fun when the Supreme Court ends up kicking this action because "guns are in the constitution, but abortion isn't"

https://twitter.com/CAgovernor/status/1469865007517089798

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

It'll be fun when the Supreme Court ends up kicking this action because "guns are in the constitution, but abortion isn't"

Your honor, the constitution clearly states Arms and we are not suggesting that collectors give up their body part collections.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/CAgovernor/status/1469865007517089798

Well, one is explicitly in the Constitution, the other isn't.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If a fetus is a person then I don't understand why an abortion ban isn't a violation of the 13th amendment, given that it forces women into servitude of another person.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If a fetus is a person then I don't understand why an abortion ban isn't a violation of the 13th amendment, given that it forces women into servitude of another person.

This is always a fun one because it gets into the gripes that Men's Rights groups make in regards to child support.

Besides which, there is a difference between service and servitude, which is why the draft is legal and not considered slavery.

Also, are you seriously arguing that parents should not be legally required to care for their children?

You know what would help? Comprehensive sex ed and making any and all forms of contraception freely available to anyone who wants it.

That and making abortion freely available in California, but all that would require money and Newson and the Democrats to put their money where their mouth is.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 12, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PeterCat posted:

This is always a fun one because it gets into the gripes that Men's Rights groups make in regards to child support.

Besides which, there is a difference between service and servitude, which is why the draft is legal and not considered slavery.

Also, are you seriously arguing that parents should not be legally required to care for their children?

If parents could give up their kids easier their would be less dead kids from neglect.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Crab Dad posted:

If parents could give up their kids easier their would be less dead kids from neglect.

I'll never give you up son, no matter how much I neglect you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ded posted:

I'll never give you up son, no matter how much I neglect you.

Just tell someone when you step out for a pack of smokes k?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Thank you for this.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Crab Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_56dpP3H0

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well explains why he wants Gold Bond. :v:

Personally I’d recommend coconut oil for that.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1470076412027625478?s=21

Thank you Jack Ryan

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Any choice quotes for us poors' without nyt?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

quote:

But people who saw the task force operate firsthand say the 2019 strike was part of a pattern of reckless strikes that started years earlier.

When presented with The Times’s findings, several current and former senior Special Operations officers denied any widespread pattern of reckless airstrikes by the strike cell and disregard for limiting civilian casualties. Capt. Bill Urban, a spokesman for the military’s Central Command, which oversees operations in Syria, declined to comment.

As bad strikes mounted, the four military officials said, Talon Anvil’s partners sounded the alarm. Pilots over Syria at times refused to drop bombs because Talon Anvil wanted to hit questionable targets in densely populated areas. Senior C.I.A. officers complained to Special Operations leaders about the disturbing pattern of strikes. Air Force teams doing intelligence work argued with Talon Anvil over a secure phone known as the red line. And even within Talon Anvil, some members at times refused to participate in strikes targeting people who did not seem to be in the fight.

TLDR: black unit gets told to make omelettes, smashes shitload of eggs, everyone up top ignores eggs because they want the omelettes for their slideshows.

quote:

Tactics changed late in 2016 when General Townsend took command and, in an attempt to keep pace with a rapidly expanding offensive, moved the authority to approve strikes down to the level of on-scene commanders.

Within Task Force 9, that authority was effectively pushed even lower, a senior official with extensive experience in Iraq and Syria said, to the senior enlisted Delta operator on shift in the strike room — usually a sergeant first class or master sergeant.

huh, I wonder what happened in 16 that let the dogs off the leash... :thunk:

quote:

But the Delta operators were under enormous pressure to protect allied ground troops and move the offensive forward, the former task force member said, and felt hobbled by the safeguards. So in early 2017, they found a way to strike more quickly: self-defense.

Most of Operation Inherent Resolve’s restrictions applied only to offensive strikes. There were far fewer restrictions for defensive strikes that were meant to protect allied forces under imminent threat of harm. So Talon Anvil began claiming that nearly every strike was in self-defense, which enabled them to move quickly with little second-guessing or oversight, even if their targets were miles from any fighting, two former task force members said.

:negative:

also:

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look say what you want but that scene in Patriot Games ruled.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

JACK RYAN ensures I am FREE (freedom is screaming at 17 year old McDonald's employee as adult man)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

MRC48B posted:

TLDR: black unit gets told to make omelettes, smashes shitload of eggs, everyone up top ignores eggs because they want the omelettes for their slideshows.

huh, I wonder what happened in 16 that let the dogs off the leash... :thunk:

:negative:

also:

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

lol great work guys. Lets create an incentive for command to question whether defensive strikes are actually defensive. That's going to end well