Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It's juvenile as gently caress but I cannot see Matt Damon and not instantly think of the puppet in Team America going "MATT... DAMON." and laughing my tits off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yepp. Dunes budget was 165 million, less than Black Widows even (which was also 200 million). Pretty incredible how it cost so much less and still looked 5 times better.

Incidentally, Army of the dead only cost like 75 million to make, and that's adding the several million dollars it cost to digitally replace the pedo pervert with Tig

Xaris posted:

(blue check) twitter libs are genuinely the dumbest people. and yeah i noticed that too, it's really not hiding it at all about the actual truth and various sides of toxic masculinity

it was a really good movie. i didnt even notice it was even long at all.

It's been said before but even in their own version of events it's obvious the men are clearly rapist assholes, but especially so with De Gris. Margeruites just gives us the full context of the nature of the rivalry between the guys. You have to be real thick to miss the overall point of the film

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Good soup! posted:

It's juvenile as gently caress but I cannot see Matt Damon and not instantly think of the puppet in Team America going "MATT... DAMON." and laughing my tits off

Literally same

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It was a great experience seeing it, hearing/seeing Matt Damon and wondering "lmfao why the gently caress is he just saying his name", then immediately looking up the reason why they did it, and laughing even harder

I will never apologize for finding this funny

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good soup! posted:

It was a great experience seeing it, hearing/seeing Matt Damon and wondering "lmfao why the gently caress is he just saying his name", then immediately looking up the reason why they did it, and laughing even harder

I will never apologize for finding this funny

lol apparently the puppet came out lookin' weird so they ditched his lines on the fly. i never knew, that's hilarious

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Say what you will about South Park, that's a funny loving decision to make

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if anything matt and trey ever did still has legs today it's obviously team america

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

for a movie about lesbian nuns, benedetta was pretty boring and not very good.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i say swears online posted:

if anything matt and trey ever did still has legs today it's obviously team america

book of mormon is really good

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

2004 LA Times Interview on set of Team America: World Police posted:

“When the Iraq war started, the celebrities really took center stage,” Brady says. “It was so frustrating. Every time you wanted an expert, you got Janeane Garofalo instead. It’s about time someone stood up to celebrities.”

As soon as filming began, Parker and Stone, who jointly supply many of the characters’ voices, labored to find the right comic tone. The movie, they quickly realized, had to take itself earnestly, because it already is a gag.

“Puppets doing jokes is not funny,” Stone says. “But when you see puppets doing melodrama, spitting up blood and talking about how they were raped as children, that’s funny.”

sounds incredibly inspired imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Good soup! posted:

often same

i really don't know how he got nearly as much work as he did. he was also horribly cast for borne identity

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

often same

i really don't know how he got nearly as much work as he did. he was also horribly cast for borne identity

get a lot of cred for starting off with good will hunting

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

i say swears online posted:

dicks, pussies, and assholes monologue still holds true to this day

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

still the hottest sex to ever grace the silver screen

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Casey Finnigan posted:

it owns that the entertainment industry is so fueled by nepotism that at this point huge amounts of industry jobs are filled by people without any talent or competency whatsoever and the decline is kinda obvious.

love the inbred media aristocracy

lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
world police was awesome, and I’ll never revisit it to keep my memory pure

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the original idea for team America was a completely straight remake of Armageddon with puppets

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
what happened to those pricks from got... they got out of there for greener star wars pastures but that poo poo went nowhere

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

the original idea for team America was a completely straight remake of Armageddon with puppets

They should do that one too

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Judakel posted:

what happened to those pricks from got... they got out of there for greener star wars pastures but that poo poo went nowhere

theyre making the three body problem series for netflix

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

RandolphCarter posted:

I’m glad they got talked out of that

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bro Dad posted:

that's unfortunate. its an interesting concept.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Bro Dad posted:

Three body problem was basically marketing driven gaslighting lmao

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Bro Dad posted:

cursed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently also with Team America they started out doing action scenes that was actually carefully acted out, but they found it both looked weird and uncanny and wasn't particularly funny, so they instead deliberately set all the fight scenes as the puppets literally flailing at each other.

Also, the fish in the shark tank scene are indeed sharks!

StashAugustine posted:

also just watched this and yeah if anything it felt like it was trying to beat you over the head with it in an incredibly unsubtle manner. like even in de Gris' version of events he's still obviously a complete piece of poo poo. the fight at the end rocked too

Def a movie that realises subtlety is for the weak. The end fight is apparently almost blow for blow recreating the duel as recorded by eyewitnesses.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You should watch Drug War directed by Johnny To.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

McCloud posted:

Yepp. Dunes budget was 165 million, less than Black Widows even (which was also 200 million). Pretty incredible how it cost so much less and still looked 5 times better.

it actually doesn’t cost a lot of money to make a movie look good, you just have to be willing to lock in aesthetic decisions before shooting, something focus test-addicted producers cannot countenance

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
is chastising a film for going over budget actually an anti-labor take????

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Aglet56 posted:

police story 2 is really drat good

Yea it owns and it's not even the best Police Story film. The next one has Michelle Yeoh in it, if you're watching in order.

AOCIA
Nov 29, 2021

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently also with Team America they started out doing action scenes that was actually carefully acted out, but they found it both looked weird and uncanny and wasn't particularly funny, so they instead deliberately set all the fight scenes as the puppets literally flailing at each other.

Also, the fish in the shark tank scene are indeed sharks!

Def a movie that realises subtlety is for the weak. The end fight is apparently almost blow for blow recreating the duel as recorded by eyewitnesses.

my favorite team america tidbit is that all the background vegetation in the south america scenes are just weed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

it actually doesn’t cost a lot of money to make a movie look good, you just have to be willing to lock in aesthetic decisions before shooting, something focus test-addicted producers cannot countenance

yeah this. look at a lot of A24 films, they look great and made on a budget of like <15 million. like midsommar looked really nice for being a 6 million budget movie. especially these days with computing, processing, digital camera, digital stabilization and dolleys, etc being so cheap and accessible. hell, all of nicolas winding refn's works like Too Old to Die Young, Drive, Neon Demon, Only God Forgives, etc all look really good and low budget

but there's also the whole hollywoo accounting where you artificially drive up the cost of production to gently caress with payments and taxes. or like 2/3rds of it will be advertising. so you really can't believe a lot of the actual budget numbers

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:23 on Dec 12, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

what dollys are cheap and accessible

fisher is still rental only

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

films are incredibly expensive and advertising is not part of the budget that's quoted, Xaris you don't know what your'e talking about

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

have you seen how many names are in the credits of a movie and imagine all those people are in a union and make 60k-100k per year

actors make tens of millions

writers and directors millions or so

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

sounds incredibly inspired imo

Jeanine Garafalo screaming about not wanting the USA to murder millions of innocent people to line Dick Cheney's pockets and being driven insane is one of the funniest and saddest things in the world.

Glad Matt and Trey are doing well, and are very rich, and haven't been shot to death.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think on a low budget Iatse film (under 15 million but over 10 million) grips make ~$500 per day as well as get hours&money toward healthcare and money for their union pension so overall maybe cost 700-800 per day to hire

a camera operator is making minimum $830/day if they can't negotiate more plus benefits

Hereditary shot for 30 days and cost 10 million

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AnneRiceAuthor/status/1469921605216133121?t=4MTb1bkhtPQPyGcd9Iajhw&s=19

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

She'll be back.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
drat, rip

https://twitter.com/AnneRiceAuthor/status/1203049899756904448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Judakel posted:

no loving way it cost 200 million. that's a scam for the rock's production company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV9qS7y2f2M&t=217s