Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Rynoto posted:

Oh yeah, getting up to having the tree planted isn't too hard, it's going on longer once you start getting so wide in the plains/mines/bulwar/escann all at once that things start falling apart with the massive tech differences because there's essentially zero tech spread in TD. The best run I've had was only pushing into Escann far enough for the tree then spreading throughout the entire plains with occasional wars in Cannor/Bulwar but the rivals really start to stack up and once you're 8+ techs behind it starts getting really bad even with centaur cav.

Ah - I've been dev pushing institutions and taking out lots of loans to just buy my way to tech parity. You get lots of gold from constant wars so it pretty much pays for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Aethernet posted:

Ah - I've been dev pushing institutions and taking out lots of loans to just buy my way to tech parity. You get lots of gold from constant wars so it pretty much pays for itself.

Dev pushing works for the first few but once you're starting to get 2-3k total dev it becomes painful to have to individually push a bunch of provinces up to institutions, even with razing. And the problem only continues to get worse from there.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The genocide screen in the latest build looks good. It's crazy what they can do with the limited modding tools they have.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'm nearing the end of Sun God achievo campaign (as Inca own South America and embrace all institution) and it makes me see why people like Anbennar so much. This region never got proper mission, just some generic ones made when missions were first introduced. And those are more boring than the generic eu4 mission tree. Cuzco had basically 1 special mission (conquer your neighbor and get some cores) and South America in general has a mission for modernizing religion and Sunset Invasion, as in go get some land in Europe. I got land in Europe and it's a trade company. All the missions are done for a long time. I get unique cultural events but those are the same I got in the beginning of the game. No narrative hook exists to highlight the coolness of what's happening.

Of course with every country you soon become invincible. But for me it came very early in this game - if you repel initial European invasion and become a proper empire there's nothing they can do. AI is surprisingly good this patch so some cool empires formed in Europe and there are some great wars to be had. It's just that missions were that part of the mechanics that explained to you how you're the coolest country. Trade still flows to Europe, I still see a decision "convert to Christianity" as if I'm being colonized. Several missions explaining how I own the world would go a long way to make this a more complete experience.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rynoto posted:

Dev pushing works for the first few but once you're starting to get 2-3k total dev it becomes painful to have to individually push a bunch of provinces up to institutions, even with razing. And the problem only continues to get worse from there.
I'm no EU4 savant or anything but that was never a problem for me because I would have all possible bonuses to discount dev cost and would dev up something like Printing Press next to where I devved up Renaissance or whatever, so it would spread quickly to other high value provinces. I would also do it near the coast so it would spread across sea zones to other prime places.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I just personally didn't think it was that bad the last time I played.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 11, 2021

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah I never push multiple prove for a single institution. I think everything after printing press doesnt require pushing anyway though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dev pushing is harder in some places than others, and for some government types than others. hordes have it a bit rough because they have no merchant estate to discount development, but on the plus side one of oirat's many advantages is early access to an excellent capital area for development. razing beijing when you conquer it puts it into a good dev range for pushing renaissance, and there are several coastal farmland trade centers nearby for future institutions. you can get colonialism by just taking exploration and discovering any new world province before 1500 - not tough to do as long as you move in on a coastal manchurian province early and then take out the siberian tribes in kamchatka. you might have to save scum a bit since you'll probably have roughly a 20% chance of stealing it from portugal/spain, but it's a pretty big long-term advantage to spawn colonialism in asia instead of europe, and you really want to conquer central mexico to get treasure fleet income anyway, so...

e: i know nothing about anbennar so maybe this advice (broadly) applies and maybe it doesn't

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you also have to have a new world province now which is annoying but not awful

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Any good YouTube videos that I could watch to decide if I should get this game? I really enjoy CK3 but Im interested in something deeper

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

blue squares posted:

Any good YouTube videos that I could watch to decide if I should get this game? I really enjoy CK3 but Im interested in something deeper

I dont have any YouTube recommendations but the key difference is that EU4 is more of a grand strategy game and less of a narrative generator than CK. If you like CK primarily for its characters and their shenanigans, dont expect the same from EU. Its more about deciding who to rival or ally with and which way and how fast to expand.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jazerus posted:

e: i know nothing about anbennar so maybe this advice (broadly) applies and maybe it doesn't

Tugund-Darakh from Anbennar has very large penalties to tech spread well beyond anything in vanilla :ssh:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

I dont have any YouTube recommendations but the key difference is that EU4 is more of a grand strategy game and less of a narrative generator than CK. If you like CK primarily for its characters and their shenanigans, dont expect the same from EU. Its more about deciding who to rival or ally with and which way and how fast to expand.

Yeah. Im mostly aware. I played the base game on Gamepass and was pretty overwhelmed, but Im still really curious about the game and investing the time to learn it. But a good video breakdown of why it i fun would be good

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I have keys for EU4 and a decent number of (older) DLCs clogging up my key library on Humble Bundle that would be free to an aspiring player.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anno posted:

I have keys for EU4 and a decent number of (older) DLCs clogging up my key library on Humble Bundle that would be free to an aspiring player.

I would love that! I dont have PMs but my email is redacted

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 12, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I sent the key for the base game. Let me know if I got the right email/if it redeems properly and I can send the DLCs.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anno posted:

I sent the key for the base game. Let me know if I got the right email/if it redeems properly and I can send the DLCs.

All good. Im quite excited! Thank you!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

blue squares posted:

Yeah. Im mostly aware. I played the base game on Gamepass and was pretty overwhelmed, but Im still really curious about the game and investing the time to learn it. But a good video breakdown of why it i fun would be good
I don't have a good video to link either but one key is trying and failing then figuring out why you failed. The game is extremely deep on menus and earning different currencies and the best way is to learn by doing. Not that I'm saying don't watch a good video of someone has a link but I guess don't be afraid of learning on the job.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

blue squares posted:

Any good YouTube videos that I could watch to decide if I should get this game? I really enjoy CK3 but I’m interested in something deeper

The Grandest Lan is happening this weekend on the Paradox Twitch channel if you want to watch some. Before covid it was a big Lan party held in a castle with a lot of RP. This year its virtual though, still a lot of fun though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Rynoto posted:

Tugund-Darakh from Anbennar has very large penalties to tech spread well beyond anything in vanilla :ssh:

Quoting myself but whatever.

Just for those that haven't tried T-D.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I think the basic adventurer tree is a more or less obsolete generic tree. IIRC it was in before a lot of the formables in the region existed/got their own mission trees, so you have those vestigial missions for after you form a country that you never get a chance to actually do.

it exists for escanni formables that don't have their own mission trees yet, which there are a few of but which nobody is gonna play these days because there are so many options that do have mission trees

if you're absolutely gagging to play like, Farranean or whatever the gently caress then, there you go

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah, so, more or less obsolete

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Quoting myself but whatever.

Just for those that haven't tried T-D.

I'm still in the early stages of this run (pre-1500) so the tech is still fine but ugh the continual unrest is real annoying. I should probably go humanitarian but religious seems way more on theme.

On my 2nd try because woah the disaster for not conquering all the orc provinces before the flip is nasty

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

blue squares posted:

having spent several hundred hours watchng youtube videos of eu4 players (and not memey bullshit) im pretty confident that zlewikk is the most informed/skilled player that still makes new content from current patches/expacs

the rest of them will teach you some noob poo poo

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Firebatgyro posted:

I'm still in the early stages of this run (pre-1500) so the tech is still fine but ugh the continual unrest is real annoying. I should probably go humanitarian but religious seems way more on theme.

On my 2nd try because woah the disaster for not conquering all the orc provinces before the flip is nasty

Yeah, Humanist works really well, although I actually took both as once you expand to the north there's a lot of provinces to convert.

I actually vassalised a lot of the elves and fed them Green Orc provinces so I could more readily avoid the disaster. Delays getting claims to the north via the mission tree, but you can just fabricate and keep expanding anyway.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you're fast with Blackmoon you can conquer every Orc province in the Deepwoods before the TD event fires and get them all to convert to Emerald. Then conquer all the elves in one hell war with the buffs.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The game is extremely deep on menus and earning different currencies and the best way is to learn by doing.

By this, you mean ducats, manpower, administrative power, etc., not that there are different monetary currencies, right?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

blue squares posted:

By this, you mean ducats, manpower, administrative power, etc., not that there are different monetary currencies, right?

I'm not Muenster but that's correct. If anything actual currency is the least important one. It's almost always worth going into debt if it gets you more soldiers, monarch points, or development.

Mr. Grinch posted:

having spent several hundred hours watchng youtube videos of eu4 players (and not memey bullshit) im pretty confident that zlewikk is the most informed/skilled player that still makes new content from current patches/expacs

the rest of them will teach you some noob poo poo

Ok zlewikk definitely knows his poo poo but he also absolutely loves memey bullshit.

Speaking of, I know goons are all olds who hate the idea of twitch, but you can also there any time get a good intro to this ancient game's archaic menus and playstyle.Zlewikk is great, JustBlazin, absoluteHabibi, bewaretheblobber, JibblyJam, Radio Res, and Sayuza1444 are also people I'd recommend. They're chill, play good music, not-nazis, generally good chats, and pull small enough viewer counts that if you have a question, they will actually see and respond to it if another chatter doesn't.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 12, 2021

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speaking of, I know goons are all olds who hate the idea of twitch, but you can also there any time get a good intro to this ancient game's archaic menus and playstyle.Zlewikk is great, JustBlazin, absoluteHabibi, bewaretheblobber, JibblyJam, Radio Res, and Sayuza1444 are also people I'd recommend. They're chill, play good music, not-nazis, generally good chats, and pull small enough viewer counts that if you have a question, they will actually see and respond to it if another chatter doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I can't even imagine sitting watching someone else play a mapgame; it just sounds like the most boring poo poo.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
On YouTube, AlzaboHD is very good for guides and although he's recently developed a YouTuber Personality, it's not unbearable.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Ironic terrible puns are still terrible. I can't handle him sinc he he made puns his thing.

Edit: but really I shouldn't be judgemental about it. He's much milder than most youtubers and streamers, and I quite liked him before he went overboard with punitive puns. His videos are also short and straight to the point.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 12, 2021

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I like Ludi et Historia for country-specific guides but his personality can be quite grating. I just tune out all the "youtuberisms", tho at least he doesn't seem to be a racist/white nationalist. Fully prepared to get a milkshake duck by the end of the page, mind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rynoto posted:

I can't even imagine sitting watching someone else play a mapgame; it just sounds like the most boring poo poo.

You don't sit down and stare at streams like you're watching a film. You shitpost at your friends in chat and watch a game you aren't sure about about buying or a cheevo you can't do, if you aren't leaving it on in the background while you sweep. It's incredibly bizarre to me that anyone posting on our incredibly dead and gay forum in 2021 still doesn't get why twitch can be fun. It's the same!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 12, 2021

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

canepazzo posted:

I like Ludi et Historia for country-specific guides but his personality can be quite grating. I just tune out all the "youtuberisms", tho at least he doesn't seem to be a racist/white nationalist. Fully prepared to get a milkshake duck by the end of the page, mind.

I guess this guy has started to do things on his own, but I was watching him when he was just starting out, and I remember thinking how awful his guides were. Usually they were copy and pasted from guides made months/years ago so all of the info was out of date and if you told him that in the comments he would just be like "No this works on the current patch!!" even though it clearly didn't, and even if it did then it was still missing so much important info. AlazboHD ended up calling him out for blatant plagiarism which caused some drama in the GSG Youtube community.

Also his thumbnails suck.

Exigent
Jan 2, 2015

Been sitting on this game for years and finally decided to sit down and learn how to play it... how do I stop

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

trapped mouse posted:

I guess this guy has started to do things on his own, but I was watching him when he was just starting out, and I remember thinking how awful his guides were. Usually they were copy and pasted from guides made months/years ago so all of the info was out of date and if you told him that in the comments he would just be like "No this works on the current patch!!" even though it clearly didn't, and even if it did then it was still missing so much important info. AlazboHD ended up calling him out for blatant plagiarism which caused some drama in the GSG Youtube community.

ludi is one of the creators i had in mind when i wrote "the rest will teach you noob poo poo"
hes not great at the game mechanically and its not that impressive to me to make "country guides" for single player. anyone can follow a mission tree. (also red hawk is just better at single player guides imo without having a poo poo personality)

and yeah i know zlewikk likes to cut in his quick little thanos references, i meant memey eu4 videos like the ones where they say nothing and you have a 10 minute contextless mashup of zoom in shots on losing battles while an indian man says oh no no no over and over

sorry i just really hate zoomer meme bullshit on yt especially when it comes to an information firehose game like eu4. meme compilation poo poo would make more sense paired with fps or something anyone can understand with no context

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

trapped mouse posted:

He definitely doesn't react well to people disagreeing with him now either. He recently made a video about getting 1914 German borders in 1510 or whatever, and replied to comments pointing out they weren't actually the 1914 borders (I think he was missing one province, and had one extra) with the autistic screeching meme.

Also he says "ave legionnaire" at the start of every video. Not sure what's up with that.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ilitarist posted:

Ironic terrible puns are still terrible. I can't handle him sinc he he made puns his thing.

Terrible puns are the best thing, so there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I fear that iSorrowproductions has some skeletons in his closet, but he's very nu-Youtubery without being completely intolerable, to me.

He does do HoI4 primarily, but used to do a lot more Vicky2 and EU4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

blue squares posted:

The Arumba teachs FilthyRobot series is what got me into the game, with a caveat that it is comically out of date. Everything they eventually do with estates is flat out not in the game anymore, but the basics of diplomacy and war actually haven't changed too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-9ZE9UZUF0