Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Player's Long-Term Ambition was "become Emperor".

Okay, we'll...we'll see. We'll see.

That's actually a bottomless well of adventure hooks if your player's serious. You'd need to achieve nobility, win favor with the majority of elector counts, and then depose of the most powerful humans in the setting.

And then do all of that better than the dozen other scheming nobles and foreign powers who are trying the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

moths posted:

That's actually a bottomless well of adventure hooks if your player's serious. You'd need to achieve nobility, win favor with the majority of elector counts, and then depose of the most powerful humans in the setting.

And then do all of that better than the dozen other scheming nobles and foreign powers who are trying the same thing.

Oh, I'm aware of how interesting a campaign like this could be, but he will probably just shoot Karl Franz in the face at the first opportunity. Which is also a bottomless well of adventure hooks!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Oh, I'm aware of how interesting a campaign like this could be, but he will probably just shoot Karl Franz in the face at the first opportunity. Which is also a bottomless well of adventure hooks!

Does he know that assassinating the Emperor does not make you the Emperor?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

In my setting, "Emperor" is well known as a ceremonial position where they treat you like a sacred cow for a long time and then ritualistically butcher you alive due to the fact that magic is kind of evil and most of 'civilized' society made a compact with demons in eons past for access to it. He still shot this person in the face and declared himself Emperor despite knowing this and causing an almost instant loss of magical ability across the empires and kingdoms of mankind. I'm honestly at the point where I think he just likes murdering people it would be a Very Bad Idea Not To, since he does something similar in every game we've played. We played a Ghostbusters RPG and he pushed the mayor of New York out of a window and said "he tripped". Why? I don't know.

Still, he shows up on time, provides rides and snacks so what can you do?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh interesting. Normally Emperor is totally unrelated to magic. Any reason you decided to do it that way?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh interesting. Normally Emperor is totally unrelated to magic. Any reason you decided to do it that way?

My setting started out as a "gently caress this, I'm making my own Dark Sun. With Blackjack and hookers! But along the way it's changed in many many ways, usually because I started to read more fantasy beyond the most popular mainstream stuff. (For reference, I didn't read a single Appendix N title or author aside from Tolkien until 2017)

The more interesting the ideas I was exposed to, the more interesting ideas I stole for my setting, so now it's a whole-rear end weird clusterfuck of massive human empires, "great cities" run by evil wizards like the Sorceror-Kings( the city fathers), gold taking on magical properties if it is stored in places and then everyone who put it there dies and the location is forgotten. All kinds of weird poo poo. I also refuse to keep anything but the vaguest notes and I have terrible ADHD and poor object permanence so I will find campaign specific notes for locations that are completely different each time and sometimes if I like them I'll just collate them all together in a strange "all and none of these things are true" hell world.
That specific idea came from an entity who offered great and wonderful magical power to the Lutencian peoples (in the form of people becoming magically attuned at a decent rate of 5% a generation) but the creature tried to do a whole "but the ruler of your empire must die screaming in agony every single year" and the Emperor said "Yes." This entity has been frustratingly bound to this deal for over a hundred years and it's generally ingrained a "duty uber alles" attitude to most members of the State. It's quite the honour for this to happen and the entity's attempts to make the deal 'worse' or have a monkey's paw to it have not served it overly well. "Ha ha! Only poor people and immigrants can become magically attuned!" "That's fine it massively encourages people to have more kids and move to our lands for the 1 in 20 chance their kid will have magical abilities and massive expand their prestige etc, expanding our labour and military personell pools. Honestly you would have probably hosed us if you made it so only rich people could get magic abilities." It's now jokingly called (Entity's name)'s Curse whenever you try to gently caress someone over and have it blow up in your face.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m looking for information about how the Cult Of Shallya is structured, specifically the organisation and training of the novices, how they pass or fail their training, and the leadership hierarchy from bottom to top. I can just work something up from real life nuns if needed, but I didn’t know if there was a canon source.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It sometimes works although usually you have to have an army behind you as well.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

sullat posted:

It sometimes works although usually you have to have an army behind you as well.

look Gurren Lagann had a very profound impact on his philosophy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

look Gurren Lagann had a very profound impact on his philosophy

Gurren Lagann still required an army.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Had my first session and erm, holy gently caress.

The first thing the players do when the coach is rushing at them with blind speed is roll to throw a rock from the ground at him. Scores a 01, so a critical success (and I gave them a -40 to do it). The coach needs to make a drive check to see if getting beaned directly in the face hurts him, and he rolls a 00, which is a critical failure. Coach crashes, I say, and they kill the coach and survivors and rob them.

Then they murdered Philippe after they caught him cheating.

The second major encounter, finding the body of Kastor etc went okay, but everyone rolled so poor for the first fight against rolf he stabbed all of them multiple times before doing "y-yeah, take that" and running into the woods because they all couldnt roll below an 80 to hit him or oppose the attack. It was not good... Then they truck-hosed the mutants at the overturned coach no problem, so it went pretty well. They're happy. They're highwaymen, the patrolmen that show up grilled them on the coach that they killed and robbed and they said the coach crashed himself. They did an opposed fellowship roll and they don't know this, but they definitely lost in terms of success levels, so now they're known suspects.

Having a slayer in the party really turns the needle, though, that guy can hit like a loving truck and its hard to even damage him.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that sounds like an awesome session! i'd love to hear how things unfold going forward.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

punishedkissinger posted:

that sounds like an awesome session! i'd love to hear how things unfold going forward.

Same.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Had my first session and erm, holy gently caress.

The first thing the players do when the coach is rushing at them with blind speed is roll to throw a rock from the ground at him. Scores a 01, so a critical success (and I gave them a -40 to do it). The coach needs to make a drive check to see if getting beaned directly in the face hurts him, and he rolls a 00, which is a critical failure. Coach crashes, I say, and they kill the coach and survivors and rob them.

Then they murdered Philippe after they caught him cheating.

The second major encounter, finding the body of Kastor etc went okay, but everyone rolled so poor for the first fight against rolf he stabbed all of them multiple times before doing "y-yeah, take that" and running into the woods because they all couldnt roll below an 80 to hit him or oppose the attack. It was not good... Then they truck-hosed the mutants at the overturned coach no problem, so it went pretty well. They're happy. They're highwaymen, the patrolmen that show up grilled them on the coach that they killed and robbed and they said the coach crashed himself. They did an opposed fellowship roll and they don't know this, but they definitely lost in terms of success levels, so now they're known suspects.

Having a slayer in the party really turns the needle, though, that guy can hit like a loving truck and its hard to even damage him.

Out of curiosity which of your players is pretending to be Kastor?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m absolutely prepared for whoever I pick to be my Kastor to avoid the situation entirely and make the whole thing as awkward as possible for me..

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

Same.

Out of curiosity which of your players is pretending to be Kastor?

We have a slayer dwarf, a human grave robber and a human riverman and since the riverman didn't murder anyone or rob anyone and pointedly did not get involved in all of the erm, evil poo poo that the other two were doing, I decided to make him Kastor's double.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.cubicle7games.com/pre-order-wfrp-archives-of-the-empire-2-now/

Archives of the Empire 2 is out includes Ogres.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So how's the game looking these days?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Lots of content now. Core system hasn't really been altered since launch, love it or hate it. Changes to Enemy Within seem good, even if there is the a lack of specific detail in the books every now and again.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Well,

second session was easier. We just did the Altdorf section, and they went shopping. One of them switched careers to wizard so I had to freehand what being a wizard at the college was like and went with the idea that engineers and wizards hate each other

When they went to the bar, they murdered Max outright for being impolite to them and then robbed and stripped the nobles and threw them into the river after murdering their bodyguards. They left the city! I didnt need to go "oh no, these nobles were mysteriously killed, oh no you will have to leave hehe" they justifiably have two different noble houses absolutely seething about them.

When the guys approached them and gave them the cult signal, they charged the cultists with weapons drawn and they ran away. Since the book advises letting people see the bounty hunter, I don't know what I am going to do.

I plan to make the "beat the absolute gently caress out of two nobles, stole all of their possessions, murdered their bodyguards and threw them into the Reik" thing stick. That's a pretty serious crime and they left a lot of witnesses behind, including two absolutely pissed off young lads with honor to regain.

Except for the Kastor guy. He's all "um i dont really wanna be involved in this thanks". It's really just the slayer and Graverobber-turned-wizard.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 1, 2021

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Have fun when they pass back through Altdorf in Death on the Reik.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Empire in Ruins Companion came out so Enemy Within is officially done.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I'm proud of them! I remember there being some question if they could even pull it off, but they did and made what sounds like the best version of a great campaign. Kudos, C7.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Speaking of Altdorf, got the hard copy of the new Altdorf supplement and it's very, very good. Flavourful, packed with information (much of which is very useful to have in one place), with material for stuff ranging from the highest level Imperial politics to the scummiest knife fight in an alley full of poop.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Warthur posted:

Speaking of Altdorf, got the hard copy of the new Altdorf supplement and it's very, very good. Flavourful, packed with information (much of which is very useful to have in one place), with material for stuff ranging from the highest level Imperial politics to the scummiest knife fight in an alley full of poop.

Good to hear it’s out, I’ve been having to make up ridiculous amounts of stuff for my guys, including the entire hierarchy of the Lamplighters Guild with a map of the three story building they work out of: the Street of Smiths including metal brokers, middle men and miners for hire; from huge factories to a mom and pop operation that make burnished copper mirrors for the backs of lamps. A complete breakdown of the organisation of the initiate process for the Cult of Shallya. Three complete cults, a mercenary company, a crime family, a six story brothel, an entire watch company and its watch house … I’m glad to have something to lighten the load.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Torquemada posted:

Good to hear it’s out, I’ve been having to make up ridiculous amounts of stuff for my guys, including the entire hierarchy of the Lamplighters Guild with a map of the three story building they work out of: the Street of Smiths including metal brokers, middle men and miners for hire; from huge factories to a mom and pop operation that make burnished copper mirrors for the backs of lamps. A complete breakdown of the organisation of the initiate process for the Cult of Shallya. Three complete cults, a mercenary company, a crime family, a six story brothel, an entire watch company and its watch house … I’m glad to have something to lighten the load.
It doesn't drill down on things to quite that level simply because there's loads and loads of buildings/places/people/organisations in Altdorf and providing HQ maps and hierarchies for all of them would be excessive, but it's got an absolute ton of stuff which you could cherrypick and build on accordingly (including a big thick "here's a bunch of notable locations in the different districts" section).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thats great. they have been doing a really good job with supplements for this edition imo.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

thats great. they have been doing a really good job with supplements for this edition imo.
Yes, and now the Enemy Within logjam has cleared I'm super excited to see what comes down the pipe; I think their newer stuff does a really good job of sitting alongside the old stuff (and the updates to the old stuff do a great job of tightening that stuff up and dialling back on some of the more pointless railroading etc.).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We know Salzenmund is coming out. Which is the Empire’s primary gateway city.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 3, 2021

Warthur
May 2, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

We know Salazmund is coming out. Which is the Empire’s primary gateway city.
Yes, there's a nod to doing outside-of-the-Empire stuff already in Altdorf what with the Cathay ambassador being detailed. She's... not bad. She has an agenda she is trying to pursue which in the hands of a clumsy/lovely referee could turn into "hoho the inscrutable Chinese" nonsense if it were handled very badly, but it'd need to be handled badly to get there: fundamentally, she's an ambassador of a great power playing geopolitics in the heart of the capital of a distant nation, if she didn't have some sort of agenda she were advancing she would be failing at the basic job of being an ambassador, which is "advance your country's interests".

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Torquemada posted:

randomly changing the lore between releases is a warhammer tradition, remember there were Law gods once upon a time and Nurgle wasn't the god of entropy or apathy or decay, he was literally just "DUDE, THE BUBONIC PLAGUE IS loving...OOOH MAN ITS loving GREAT"

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

randomly changing the lore between releases is a warhammer tradition, remember there were Law gods once upon a time and Nurgle wasn't the god of entropy or apathy or decay, he was literally just "DUDE, THE BUBONIC PLAGUE IS loving...OOOH MAN ITS loving GREAT"

Aye, and at one point Khorne was the god of martial prowess and honout before devolving into Oops! All blood mad berserkers!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zark the Damned posted:

Aye, and at one point Khorne was the god of martial prowess and honout before devolving into Oops! All blood mad berserkers!

I am tried of people saying this. Cause it's never really been true. Here is his very first write up.

Also I can't believe it took me this long to realize that Khorne's symbol is just a skull.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 11, 2021

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

It's been kinda true in the past. Khorne has always had murderous berserkers in his remit but he also has at various points also had more honourable warrior societies that sought battle. Of course some of that may have been subversion of some of the myths round warrior societies protecting against barbarians (it's been too long since I had any of the relevant books).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

neonchameleon posted:

It's been kinda true in the past. Khorne has always had murderous berserkers in his remit but he also has at various points also had more honourable warrior societies that sought battle. Of course some of that may have been subversion of some of the myths round warrior societies protecting against barbarians (it's been too long since I had any of the relevant books).

That’s an individual culture and person thing. But not a Khorne thing as Khorne does not care about it. It’s mentioned that Khorne has followers who view themselves as honourable, but this will fade with time and they will eventually become vicious killers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kinda thinking of getting 4e and trying to run their big Enemy Within campaign.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

neonchameleon posted:

I think a part of it is the "buy-in" or whatever you wanna call it is effecting people's views on the flakeman

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kinda thinking of getting 4e and trying to run their big Enemy Within campaign.

It's quite big and good.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am tried of people saying this. Cause it's never really been true. Here is his very first write up.

quote:

Indeed, no Chaos Power is wholly one sided, for no human or other creature is wholly good or evil, and likewise neither are their shadow-selves. For example, along with violence and bloodshed Khorne has inherited the warrior’s sense of honour and martial virtue.

quote:

The Blood God epitomizes the martial virtues which they hold dear, including a harsh disciplinary code, binding rules governing their conduct as honourable warriors, and, of course, a life of almost continual blood-letting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's quite big and good.

Does it have support on any virtual tabletop thing? I might try to run it with a friend who moved away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Foundry VTT has all of it, and the rule book, starter set and a bunch of other small modules if you want to try it out.