Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Edward Mass posted:

Deonna Purrazzo vs. Thunder Rosa was an MOTYC by FIGHT ISLAND's own standards.

Yeah but you can't trust those people, by Fight Island standards Takuya Nomura has had 0 MOTYC this year & that's clearly lunacy.

I don't imagine there's much between ROH & Impact really. They are both quite enjoyable weekly TV companies, certainly better than Billy Corgan's vanity project, they both have some great wrestlers on their roster, personally I think ROH had more I dig but obviously emphasis is on the past tense there. Certainly didn't regret the ROH shows I've checked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
When impact was streaming on twitch me and my buddy would co stream it on twitch and it was a really fun show. The Swingers palace segments were incredible, and it was just an easy loose wrestling show. It not being on twitch anymore means I haven’t watched it since though.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1469784918263681024

HOOK and Danhausen in the lead so far

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

People always talk about impact wrestling as if it still exists and I'm sure it does but I don't understand how they could possibly be making any money because I never see anyone talking about it anywhere

Are they still just losing money every year

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Orange Carlisle posted:

People always talk about impact wrestling as if it still exists and I'm sure it does but I don't understand how they could possibly be making any money because I never see anyone talking about it anywhere

Are they still just losing money every year

No, they actually turned a profit last year.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

TNA exists more than NXT UK, which doesn't exist

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Edward Mass posted:

Also they’re owned by the network they air on. So they have an eternal home, until the network loses interest and ROH’s them.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1469923561565417475

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That’s how you know it’s a good one.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Edward Mass posted:

They did? Citation? Google isn't helping.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

njsykora posted:

That’s how you know it’s a good one.

Every year without fail, it's the same build, almost the same payoff, and it's good every time.

Last year's MJF hyper speed burial and Jim Valley's burial from the verge were an amazing end.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
TNA is just too tainted in my mind to take seriously ever again. They should try to do a serious rebranding and decide on an identity and image that isn't just "WWE but without the production value".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

El Generico posted:

TNA is just too tainted in my mind to take seriously ever again. They should try to do a serious rebranding and decide on an identity and image that isn't just "WWE but without the production value".

I mean, it lets wrestlers have time in the ring so it's definitely not WWE without the production values. If you give Impact one more chance, make it the Ironman Match from this year between Josh Alexander & TJP.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I have watched Impact this year and been surprised. I don’t watch it weekly but I do try to catch the PPVs and enjoy them.

I tried to get through NWA Hard Times 2 and between the wrestling and having like 20 fans in the crowd, that was loving rough. I will just watch the Darius Lockhart stuff by itself from now on.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El Generico posted:

They have tried to rebrand, they aren't even called TNA anymore their official name is Impact Wrestling, but nobody gives a poo poo because in everyone's mind they're still the same old TNA even if they've gone through like 3 ownership changes simce the last time they were on a relevant TV channel.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I mean, it lets wrestlers have time in the ring so it's definitely not WWE without the production values. If you give Impact one more chance, make it the Ironman Match from this year between Josh Alexander & TJP.

did you really just try to sell TNA to someone by recommending a loving TJP match

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tjp is a really good wrestler

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He's a fine wrestler, but also a colossal dipshit with an ego.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

TJP is not a good enough wrestler to offset the fact he’s a fuckwit.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

edogawa rando posted:

He speedran Austin Aries entire career

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

so what

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lid posted:

He speedran Austin Aries entire career

Has he publicly sexually harassed a woman in the ring tho

Actually, did he get named in #speakingout?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Alaois posted:

They have tried to rebrand, they aren't even called TNA anymore their official name is Impact Wrestling

They're going to have to rebrand more thoroughly than this. Impact is still the show TNA was on. Everything bad that was associated with TNA is also associated with Impact.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El Generico posted:

They're going to have to rebrand more thoroughly than this. Impact is still the show TNA was on. Everything bad that was associated with TNA is also associated with Impact.

I never said they rebranded well!

poo poo im pretty sure the Impact rebranding was in 2010 when Bischoff and Hogan took over

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In all fairness, "Impact Wrestling" is a much better name than "TNA." Miss me with that early-2000s Russo-rear end poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

on the topic of wrestling podcasts, my favorite moment of the Monumental Podcast is still when MRT discovered that the idea for Sports Entertainment Xtreme actually came from Jerry Jarrett

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

did you really just try to sell TNA to someone by recommending a loving TJP match

I mean, I'd recommend watching a dozen promotions before Impact in TYOOL 2021, but it's the best Impact match I've seen since April 2019's LAX Lucha Bros match. It's a ****½ Iron Man match. TJP being a bellend doesn't change that.

I'd rather people watched the BJW Strong Title match between Nomura & Sekimoto that I linked in a few threads at the time but people were talking about Impact rather than Big Japan.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It's a little bit like if you stopped being WWE but instead you decided the name of your wrestling promotion was going to be Monday Night Raw.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

jesus WEP posted:

tjp is a really good wrestler

tjp is a really good wrestler when he can be bothered. He can be bothered about 30% of the time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alaois posted:

poo poo im pretty sure the Impact rebranding was in 2010 when Bischoff and Hogan took over

nah, they renamed themselves to Impact when Anthem bought out Dixie in 2017, then renamed themselves to GFW for like 2 months because of their deal with Jarrett that blew up, then back to Impact.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alaois posted:

It was a long period of kind-of rebranding.

At its debut in 2004, the show on FSN was called "TNA Impact!". That name persisted for years, but during the Bischoff/Hogan era they rebranded the show to "Impact Wrestling", but the promotion was still called TNA owned by TNA Entertainment LLC and other than taking TNA out of the name of the weekly show, you still had future TNA Hall of Famer Sting shoot pin Jeff Hardy for the TNA Heavyweight Championship at TNA Victory Road.

Then deep into the TNA deathwatch circa 2015-2016 it looked like TNA was going to go bankrupt, and there were a series of lawsuits I barely understood at the time but I believe both Billy Corgan and Anthem were fronting money to Dixie Carter to keep TNA solvent, and both of them wanted to buy out the company. Eventually Anthem bought them, and changed the name of the parent company from "TNA Entertainment" to "Impact Ventures".

In 2017, TNA was declared "dead" and the promotion changed its name from TNA to "Impact Wrestling", meaning their flagship show was Impact Wrestling Impact Wrestling. Maybe because they thought this was silly, Anthem announced almost immediately they were buying out Jeff Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling and the show was going to be called GFW Impact, and they started merging/renaming their belts as GFW Championships.

Then a few months after that, the deal with Jarrett dissolved and they had to re-re-brand everything, so that by the end of 2017 everything was 100% officially Impact.

I think at some point in here there were rumors that they were going to try to rebrand as NWA but I may be misremembering things, as Billy Corgan didn't buy NWA until he had thoroughly burned bridges with TNA/Impact/Anthem/GFW.

So yeah, not a good rebranding.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Don’t forget the part where Billy Corgan thought he was buying TNA from Dixie. Dixie took one look at McMahonism and was like hold my white wine.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

In all fairness, "Impact Wrestling" is a much better name than "TNA." Miss me with that early-2000s Russo-rear end poo poo.

Definitely

literally anything is better than that junior high edgelord bullshit

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Alaois posted:

on the topic of wrestling podcasts, my favorite moment of the Monumental Podcast is still when MRT discovered that the idea for Sports Entertainment Xtreme actually came from Jerry Jarrett

I've been listening to You've Got to Be Kidding Me (a TNA history podcast associated with the VoW network) and this never came up, so clearly I'm listening to the wrong TNA history podcast.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CVagts posted:

I've been listening to You've Got to Be Kidding Me (a TNA history podcast associated with the VoW network) and this never came up, so clearly I'm listening to the wrong TNA history podcast.

sounds like the hosts of that podcast aren't doing their homework and reading Jerry Jarrett's diaries!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

CVagts posted:

I started that and it’s really bad. Made it about three eps in before giving up. Needs an editor badly.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope Dixie writes a wrestling memoir because it has to be at least as batshit as Jerry’s was.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

hook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLv4xQCsYTA

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

reignofevil posted:

It's a little bit like if you stopped being WWE but instead you decided the name of your wrestling promotion was going to be Monday Night Raw.

I mean, this is pretty much exactly what Turner did with WCW.

Also, new Immovable Objects where we review maybe the worst high-profile match I’ve ever seen! https://anchor.fm/immovable-objects/episodes/020---Brawl-to-End-It-All-Part-Two-Prefabricated-Dog-Biscuit-e1bipgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Edge & Christian posted:

Then deep into the TNA deathwatch circa 2015-2016 it looked like TNA was going to go bankrupt, and there were a series of lawsuits I barely understood at the time but I believe both Billy Corgan and Anthem were fronting money to Dixie Carter to keep TNA solvent, and both of them wanted to buy out the company. Eventually Anthem bought them, and changed the name of the parent company from "TNA Entertainment" to "Impact Ventures". TNA/Impact/Anthem/GFW.
I *think* that last part is the only part that's incorrect. Impact Ventures was still under Dixie. (According to Tennessee state records, it was formed on August 7, 2015. Given everything that would happen in the next year-plus and the fact that this was during the Destination America lame duck period, it wouldn't shock me if this was some stupid attempt at dodging creditors.) Under Anthem, they became Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions.