Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Willo567 posted:

i would get into mmos but the problem is that one day they'll shut down and i won't be able to play it again

Life is ethereal, it's all about enjoying things in the moment. Even if ff14 isn't eternal, it's about the memories and enjoyment you have playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FF14 could shut down after this expansion and it would all have been worth it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

FF14 could shut down after this expansion and it would all have been worth it.
this.

but also any mmo that is the least bit popular will be around Forever, so its especially funny when a mmo disappears entirely

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

addressed, by the endwalker endcard

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That is a good quote at the end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I think they've said they're planning for XIV to continue for like, what, another decade?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I think they've said they're planning for XIV to continue for like, what, another decade?

yoshi-p said they had expansion ideas for the next ten years. likely they will come up with more expansion ideas over those ten years, since as mentioned ff11 is nearly 20 years old and there's no indication it's gonna die anytime soon.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Acerbatus posted:

I keep wanting to play ff14 but then remember the base game's writing is somehow worse than WoW's, because it's just as uninteresting but expects me to read all of it.

with tera being dead guess it's just pso2 that can provide an mmo fix.

lol nothing is as bad as wow you dumbass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wow had good writing occasionally. like the time garrosh chokeslammed a guy off a cliff for doing warcrimes. but the issue is none of it actually clicked together so garrosh did war crimes one zone later. even at its worst ff14 is at least coherent.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
wow is literally the game where you, yes you, do all the incredible work of taking down deathwing, a world ending threat and then at the last moment thrall, blizzards oc, shows up like "thanks adventurer, now i will deal the finishing blow because we have decided the player character cant be important" and you wanna say that its not in a league of its own in terms of absolute garbage.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

yoshi-p said they had expansion ideas for the next ten years. likely they will come up with more expansion ideas over those ten years, since as mentioned ff11 is nearly 20 years old and there's no indication it's gonna die anytime soon.

Final zone they dropped like 3-4 different directions for the story to go and all of them would be great ideas

Endwalker was great and put FFXIv not just in my top MMO's but arguably top RPG of all time

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

wow is literally the game where you, yes you, do all the incredible work of taking down deathwing, a world ending threat and then at the last moment thrall, blizzards oc, shows up like "thanks adventurer, now i will deal the finishing blow because we have decided the player character cant be important" and you wanna say that its not in a league of its own in terms of absolute garbage.

I remember getting all pumped to finally take down the Lich King in the final dungeon of Wrath and they have Bolvar do the finishing blow which pissed me off to no end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and then when they do make the protagonist Important its the lamest poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i wouldnt have cared if like, jaina, had killed arthas, but who the gently caress is Bolvar Fordragon

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Endorph posted:

also i wouldnt have cared if like, jaina, had killed arthas, but who the gently caress is Bolvar Fordragon

bolvar deez nuts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

Fordragon deez nuts on your face

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can only trust my brother as the go between but the moment he jumped from playing wow to playing ff14 he went from btiching about awful storytleling constantly to gushing about how much he loves ff14's writing and thinks it is one of the best realized stories in the history of gaming on top of mentioning how every single mechanical and qol consideration in ff14 are things he's wanted in wow for years

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

When i first switched over to FFXIV I missed how you could customize and modify the UI like you could in WoW until I realized that it actually had everything you needed to play the game. And than they just added in a bunch of QOL of stuff and I'm like why did WoW leave this all to the mod community

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ff14 is fun

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willo567 posted:

i would get into mmos but the problem is that one day they'll shut down and i won't be able to play it again

it saddens me future generations may well never know the brilliance of juustagram firsthand...

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I was extremely down on ARR after everyone hyped up 14's story, and then I got to the part where supposedly it got interesting and was told by the game that I needed to do 4 raids that I had never heard of until that point first, which wasn't a great time.

Enjoyed Heavensward a lot though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

I was extremely down on ARR after everyone hyped up 14's story, and then I got to the part where supposedly it got interesting and was told by the game that I needed to do 4 raids that I had never heard of until that point first, which wasn't a great time.

Enjoyed Heavensward a lot though.

the crystal tower stuff is like an hour long idk why it trips people up

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's also one of the best parts of ARR!

My secret ff14 shame is that I kinda liked running through the ARR expansions. Main story is super slow and pretty boring and all but I really liked a lot of the new Dungeons and Raids that open up. Big step up from the earlier content imo. Though doing them does make getting to Heavensward even longer.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Final zone they dropped like 3-4 different directions for the story to go and all of them would be great ideas
sadly now that theyve mentioned them its probably not going to be any of those things

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

homeless snail posted:

sadly now that theyve mentioned them its probably not going to be any of those things

Honestly while most probably won't be touched I fully expect some content to deal with the twelve

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its wild how, increasingly important the crystal tower stuff gets within the context of ff14, while also keeping in mind that it is a ff3 reference

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Honestly while most probably won't be touched I fully expect some content to deal with the twelve

I thought they already said that was what the alliance raids were gonna be about.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought they already said that was what the alliance raids were gonna be about.

Correct

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

the crystal tower stuff is like an hour long idk why it trips people up

It was just at the end of a not great day for my and my partner, so it was a pretty frustrating thing to come across. At the end of the day it wasn't that bad though, yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah fair. i do also think if youre coming from wow youd expect raids to be a giant pain in the rear end or completely incomprehensible and not just a dungeon but with 6x the people

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lota and wod can still be a pain but syrcus is actually a joke and has been since 2.3

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

syrcus is actually slightly less of a joke after the stat squish

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

homeless snail posted:

syrcus is actually slightly less of a joke after the stat squish

lol really

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

only slightly but, you do see a few more mechanics than you have in awhile

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

gently caress does this mean you have to do phase 2 labia

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i like ff14. i like rpg.

i look like this

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I did Crystal tower back when you still needed to do specific fates to unlock it. Man, that sucked.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I did Crystal tower back when you still needed to do specific fates to unlock it. Man, that sucked.

rip to One Ilm Punch's best use, knocking the stoneskin off the Ixal one

actually that's not true, punching Aetherflow off SMN/SCHs in PVP was loving funny

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

im a sicko that actually likes that kind of thing. had a great time helping a lot of people do legacy of allag because you needed to keep an eye on two zones at the same time to make sure you didn't miss the fates that spawned every 30 minutes, and also spend time clearing the other fates off the map that could block it from popping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The funniest raid quest was the absolute murderstorm of red chocobos spamming vuln-meteor because people couldn't wait to spawn their one and you just had this clusterfuck of meteors in a small area murdering everyone