Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ruckus is rock solid, much better than unifi. it is also extremely expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I still shill for microtik.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I still shill for microtik.

:same:

MikroTik for routing/switching/simple VPNs if you can tolerate the hilarious hostile latvian support and buggy code, but their wifi tech has not keep up with any new standards (they can’t even don 802.11ac wave 2 except in their new beta poo poo)

im using tp-link’s omada line of business APs for wifi now with a controller, rock solid and a lot of features for the price (802.11k/v fast roaming, continuously updated firmware and new features, etc)

edit: a hardware dedicated controller (which can be powered off a poe switch) + two APs and one of their poe switches ran me less than $300 total

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 11, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got owned by a 0day on my old mikrotik and they opened the http proxy on my router and i got on all the open proxy lists and for a month i couldnt browse netflix, amazon, ebay etc because they just block everything on that list. gently caress mikrotik. yeah i guess its on me for not janitoring my router but still

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i got owned by a 0day on my old mikrotik and they opened the http proxy on my router and i got on all the open proxy lists and for a month i couldnt browse netflix, amazon, ebay etc because they just block everything on that list. gently caress mikrotik. yeah i guess its on me for not janitoring my router but still

https://newsnationusa.com/news/technology/cyber-security/over-300000-mikrotik-devices-found-vulnerable-to-remote-hacking-bugs/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my edge is an openbsd vm and my switch is a cisco gigabit switch that isn't noticeably loud that work was throwing out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im on the gs108 switch i bought for hausbus. it runs on 12v. it never breaks. it's silent. it just works and i love it

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my router is a vyos vm on proxmox

i have to use a whole pc for my router if i want to bypass my isp router, its a wierdo config that uses an sfp module that syncs at 2.5Gb
the only devices that can sync at 2.5Gb on sfp are a specific broadcom 10gb nic with modded drivers and $600+ ubiquiti switches

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol i've wondered about that

what router is it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the isp one that is

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I’m on bell fibre and the isp router is a home hub 3000 that seems proprietary to bell. They have a new 4000 model with 10gb nic so it’s no longer bottlenecked on a 1.5gb plan, but it has an integrated media converter so you can’t remove the sfp module like the 3000.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

1Gbit ought to be enough for anyone

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
that’s the other thing if you use a normal 1gb media converter you’ll max out at ~700mbit because of the link speed mismatch. which is why I spent so much time and money on this project

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

1Gbit ought to be enough for anyone

I have a book on fiber optics (from the 90s early 2000s) that basically says exactly this

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

haha

perplx: you should write up your findings somewhere, i'll think it'll be relevant for many of us when ftth isps start rolling out >1gbps speeds in general

which network gear producer has switches with 2.5 gbps ports that doesn't cost a fortune i wonder, most isp's uses off the shelf components for stuff like that

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I didn’t discover anything new, it’s all documented in this thread https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32230041-Internet-Bypassing-the-HH3K-up-to-2-5Gbps-using-a-BCM57810S-NIC

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

on a raspberry pi note I recently started using moode on an rpi with rigelian as the controller and man does this poo poo rule. works OOB with my USB dac, no real configuration. people still out here paying three, four digits for music streamers when a 3b can do the same exact thing

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i guess theres no accounting for the whole "the usb port on my $4999 Jupiter FuckBox 9000 has a much warmer soundstage" thing tho

animist
Aug 28, 2018
the more money you spend, the better the placebo effect works

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

cool

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
have been driven into a situation where we'd like to do some kernel introspection, systemtap is the only real option for us due to the age of our kernels

in local testing it looks fine, but i'm extremely gunshy about deploying it at scale. anyone have any experience doing so? we're staying within the "safe zone" of systemtap, ie no guru mode, and our kernel-side code is extremely simple, but bugs in systemtap or the kernel could obviously still gently caress us and unfortunately even a single kernel lockup would be a Bad Time in our environment

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
im guessing you can't just make the case to move to something new enough to support ebpf

in related news i finally got the kubernetes ebpf tool to stop being a butt and then promptly realized that my use case (adding some additional logging to some go code on the fly) is kinda hamstrung by no magic support for go structs like delve has

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

im guessing you can't just make the case to move to something new enough to support ebpf

us being able to upgrade to something new (here a very liberal definition of new) is dependent on this project :negative:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

have been driven into a situation where we'd like to do some kernel introspection, systemtap is the only real option for us due to the age of our kernels

in local testing it looks fine, but i'm extremely gunshy about deploying it at scale. anyone have any experience doing so? we're staying within the "safe zone" of systemtap, ie no guru mode, and our kernel-side code is extremely simple, but bugs in systemtap or the kernel could obviously still gently caress us and unfortunately even a single kernel lockup would be a Bad Time in our environment

do it in phases then. do real testing not just "yup script seems to do something"

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

do it in phases then. do real testing not just "yup script seems to do something"

yeah, we'll certainly roll it out in stages and test it under synthetic load, etc. unfortunately in this part of the shop everything is pets so there's a limited amount of confidence we can gain by doing so

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I would simply be responsible for cattle

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bumo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ive been working in networking adjacent poo poo for a couple years

I do not like it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

didn't deploy the systemtap poo poo, think it was for the best.

our environment still sucks so much poo poo though, it's unbelievable, we have just recently managed to mostly move off of a kernel version that was released when I was in high school.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i luv 2 network

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

thread ttl expired

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
wanna here a funny tcp joke?

:xd:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

some kinda jackal posted:

thread ttl expired

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Crow posted:

wanna here a funny tcp joke?

:xd:

I've got a pretty good UDP joke, but i'm not sure if you'll get it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Jonny 290 posted:

I've got a pretty good UDP joke, but i'm not sure if you'll get it

id tell you a joke about NAT, but id have to translate it first

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that'd be cool though. Ive also got a joke about TCP replay attacks but you may have heard it before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i have a good ipsec joke

it's just ipsec. all of it.