Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember Rico was the most unpopular non-Chu-Chu character in the XG LP. And it's true, his arc was basically totally cut from the game. But I think it's better to lose your arc than to have Billy's arc. This is hands down the worst part of Xenogears in terms of writing. Between this and the similarly offhanded and never brought up again comment about the Ethos priests raping kids, it's just full of garbage. Whatever problems Xenogears has, "bring something up and then drop it" is not usually among them. This comment had nothing to do with what Billy was just talking about, is never followed up on, and even seems to contradict the backstory we were just given. Billy and his sister were never alone. They were taken in immediately by the Ethos since, spoilers, their mother being killed was arranged by their "savior' from said Ethos and he showed up right after she was killed..

I guess the Zeboim stuff isn't bad but while it's sandwiched in Billy's arc, it really isn't part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Libluini posted:

Now that I think back on it, yeah that magic knight general girl with her artificially grafted on powers was basically a magical girl, yes. How many magical girls use swords instead of magic staffs, though?

Tsubasa from Symphogear uses a sword, considers herself a sword of justice, is named after a sword, and all her moves are making bigger cooler swords like turnin her motorcycle into a big blade and doing sick side spins.

She's so much a sword an antagonist makes a golem to beat her who's core existence is defined as a Swordbreaker and their weapon is Swordbreaker/Parrying dagger.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is a brightly coloured game about magical idols who fight monsters that show up and drain energy from crowds of random bystanders but some of them happen to be boys.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if you think powers of deduction are magical there are a lot nancy drew games!1

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's an untranslated doujin magical girl srpg i've heard is pretty good. and a licensed srw-style srpg that was contracted out to toys for bob, who were given instructions that had to be translated into english from a fax machine, and it was built on the engine for the unholy war on psx

it's only 60s-80s magical girls though, no more modern ones like sailor moon or cardcaptor sakura

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Man. Toys for Bob have had one hell of a career.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

quote:

On episode 97 of internet interview show Matt Chat,[1] creators Fred Ford and Paul Reiche described the unusual production style. The company were faxed design documents directly from Bandai which needed to be translated from Japanese before any of them could be implemented. The process was so laborious, the developers eventually turned off their fax machine in order to finish the game on schedule. The game used assets from the developer's previous titles, The Unholy War and Pandemonium!.

it's also star control-era toys for bob, which means, 魔女っ子大作戦 little witching mischiefs, was made by the star control guys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Libluini posted:

Now that I think back on it, yeah that magic knight general girl with her artificially grafted on powers was basically a magical girl, yes. How many magical girls use swords instead of magic staffs, though?
swords are really common in magical girl stuff? every single character in utena is a fencer and have fencing matches as the plot. several precures do. there is literally a cure sword. several nanoha characters, most prominently signum. most of the blue reflection cast, its only second light that really shook things up in that regard. tsubasa and maria in symphogear. sailor venus has a sword in the sailor moon manga but its not in the 90s anime.

heck princess knight is arguably the first magical girl series and its protagonist had a sword. the aesthetics of magical girl stuff and dramatic stage plays are pretty linked and swords are really common in stage plays naturally.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is FFX-2 a magical girl RPG

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Hwurmp posted:

is FFX-2 a magical girl RPG

yes

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember Rico was the most unpopular non-Chu-Chu character in the XG LP. And it's true, his arc was basically totally cut from the game. But I think it's better to lose your arc than to have Billy's arc. This is hands down the worst part of Xenogears in terms of writing. Between this and the similarly offhanded and never brought up again comment about the Ethos priests raping kids, it's just full of garbage. Whatever problems Xenogears has, "bring something up and then drop it" is not usually among them. This comment had nothing to do with what Billy was just talking about, is never followed up on, and even seems to contradict the backstory we were just given. Billy and his sister were never alone. They were taken in immediately by the Ethos since, spoilers, their mother being killed was arranged by their "savior' from said Ethos and he showed up right after she was killed..

I guess the Zeboim stuff isn't bad but while it's sandwiched in Billy's arc, it really isn't part of it.

Billy's arc is like front-to-back weird, inconsistent stuff (remember how it starts with some roving band of slavers who are never mentioned again?), but when people talk about it they tend to focus on the robot that turns into a gun that uses dads as ammunition. And, in fairness, that is pretty distracting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its aesthetic is more charlie's angels/70s girl power movie but it takes a few visual cues from magical girl stuff

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Valis is kinda magical-girlish but also not really and uh, not an RPG.

oh yeah, the zeboyd guys are making a shakespearean magical girl RPG

https://twitter.com/ZeboydGames/status/1440751341979123715

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Jeanne d'Arc for PSP probably counts as at least a magical-girl-adjacent SRPG.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would argue Bayonetta is, on some level, a magical girl. :colbert:

Rosenkreuzstilett, kinda?

What's that?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Acerbatus posted:

What's that?

blue reflection anime

That's an unusually good shot and not really representative of the general art quality. I'd usually describe it as good art design (especially in the colors) but lacking in technical aspects--characters are often off-model and it's rare to have dynamic movement.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the blue reflection anime is good because the second op starts with the line 'i hate myself so much i want to throw up' and continues into the line 'I don't believe in hope, I prefer despair - I'm no longer surprised by my reflection growing thinner.'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the second op owns insanely hard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R1N3q4DZYQ

also the granblue action rpg seems like its actually coming out sometime next year

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

blue reflection anime

That's an unusually good shot and not really representative of the general art quality. I'd usually describe it as good art design (especially in the colors) but lacking in technical aspects--characters are often off-model and it's rare to have dynamic movement.

I've watched that show like three times and I still completely didn't recognize it, huh. I even talked about thinking the animation quality was poor in adtrw like a week ago.

Speaking of brain damage and amnesia, I'm always a little perplexed when there's seemingly really minor changes to scripts in translations that don't majorly alter the plot or anything, but change things enough that it's noticeable. Going through the english version of Caligula Overdose, Kuchinashi and Wicked being flirty with the protagonist is pretty much gone. Kuchinashi in particular it doesn't really play into her characterization so it doesn't really matter but I can't help but always wonder why that stuff changes.

Like in Three Houses downplaying all homosexual romances is lovely, but I can at least assume that someone thought it'd be too controversial or was just personally homophobic and wanted to downplay it. This clearly isn't that, and it also doesn't seem like something that'd happen because of lack of context. :iiam:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 12, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R1N3q4DZYQ

also the granblue action rpg seems like its actually coming out sometime next year

I think this been in development for like 2 decades now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I consider myself schooled on magical girls.

The fun thing is, instantly after posting I remembered that other girl using swords in Madoka Magika, and was like "gently caress, swords will turn out to be really common, won't they" :v:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Swords are probably the most common melee weapon in any genre, so yeah betting against swords was a bad idea.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Always bet on swords, Brendon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you're going off vague memories of sailor moon and not much else its easy to assume its all just stock footage magic wands. though really, sailor moon had some straight up fisticuffs too people just dont remember it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sword is like, the default protagonist weapon across cultures, much like most gun wielder heroes use non automatic pistols.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Sword is like, the default protagonist weapon across cultures, much like most gun wielder heroes use non automatic pistols.

yeah, but wizards don't, as default, and with magical girls my brain automatically puts them into the wizard category and is like "magical girls are magic, they don't use swords, durr"

brains are dumb

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a game where all the girls are also military issue automatic rifles yet?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Libluini posted:

yeah, but wizards don't, as default

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Is there a game where all the girls are also military issue automatic rifles yet?

Girls Frontline has been around for ages

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

magical girl game where every character is just lina inverse

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Girls Frontline has been around for ages

And there's like four spinoffs coming too!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV0edD_Gsw8

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

I would buy that. Oh, I would so buy that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I have a friend who probably would too.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You ever surprise yourself with how fast and hard you fall into something?

I was browsing itch.io for in-browser RPGs and I found this, a demo/prologue for a game that I didn't know I wanted until I played through it.

https://majimjam.itch.io/hyadesrpg

There's a clear Mother/Earthbound influence, but I didn't expect to fall in love with the characters this hard and this fast. The dialogue is witting, funny, and charming, I'm interested in all of the main party, the gameplay, once it opens up a bit by introducing the 'main mechanic', is very fun and has the potential to get very tactical later on, and I'm interested to see where the plot goes from here. It's short, but it is a demo. I emailed the developers to show my support, and I really hope that you all enjoy this, too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

From the western side, Gandalf is a sword wielder

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

From the western side, Gandalf is a sword wielder

I tend to forget that, though I never had that much LOTR exposure I guess

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

Don't you threaten ME with a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The archetypal wizards are Gandalf and Merlin, both of whom used swords at least sometimes. I honestly think the (extremely common) idea that wizards can only hold sticks came from D&D where it was implemented for balance purposes.