Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some of my favorite characters in gaming are people with both magic and swords, like Red Mages from Final Fantasy and Kratos and Zelos from Symphonia,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Best Elder Scrolls builds too (yes yes stealth archers are also fun)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Speaking of brain damage and amnesia, I'm always a little perplexed when there's seemingly really minor changes to scripts in translations that don't majorly alter the plot or anything, but change things enough that it's noticeable. Going through the english version of Caligula Overdose, Kuchinashi and Wicked being flirty with the protagonist is pretty much gone. Kuchinashi in particular it doesn't really play into her characterization so it doesn't really matter but I can't help but always wonder why that stuff changes.

Like in Three Houses downplaying all homosexual romances is lovely, but I can at least assume that someone thought it'd be too controversial or was just personally homophobic and wanted to downplay it. This clearly isn't that, and it also doesn't seem like something that'd happen because of lack of context. :iiam:
I don't remember that at all! But I've only played it in English, so I guess if it's mostly in the parts that are unvoiced, I'd have no way of knowing.

Wicked is probably just doing it to mess with you, but I think that does change how I'd look at Kuchinashi. At least a little bit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Magical girls aren't really 'wizards' in the archetypal sense, anyway. Ako-chan was literally a witch and that set the standard for a lot of other early magical girl stuff, btu the genre pretty quickly started experimenting. Sarutobi Ecchan was a ninja and most of her powers were the result of ninja magic or ninja training (and there's some supplementary material in the author's later work that makes her an alien, for some reason), and Cutie Honey doesn't even do anything magical and isn't magical in origin, she's an android, and all of her powers are her dad's creation.

And then Sailor Moon took the genre in a tokusatsu/saint seiya inspired direction, which leads pretty directly to the current status quo for most magical girl stuff where their powers are magical in origin but their powers largely manifest as physical tools, strength, etc, with which to fight the bad guys, and magical attacks are mostly used as finishers or for big climatic moves. Since, well, that's how Saint Seiya works. (I guess Saint Seiya is technically divine and not magic, but a lot of magical girl stuff is also divinity - including Sailor Moon - so whatever.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember the arc of sailor moon where the villain looked liek this, was named Death Phantom, and his motivation was that in the future year of 3000 sailor moon rules neo tokyo with such an iron fist that crime no longer exists and he wants to rebel against her regime and bring back free will and earth independence from the moon

sailor moon kind of owns

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I only wish that Jupiter did a zangief 360 on Beryl or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I only wish that Jupiter did a zangief 360 on Beryl or something
she does zangief 360s in the fighting game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

she does zangief 360s in the fighting game

Yeah it loving owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sadly none of the villains are in the fighting game primarily because ive never seen a big franchise care less about its villains than sailor moon. when was the last time you saw queen beryl merch?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Caligula 2 update: the planetarium dungeon music has been stuck in my head despite me not having played that level for a week, please send help

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

sadly none of the villains are in the fighting game primarily because ive never seen a big franchise care less about its villains than sailor moon. when was the last time you saw queen beryl merch?

I... think I've seen some in some loose gacha machines but I've honestly not looked because I'm here for jupiter

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Swap Out slaps, I'm glad you realize this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Caligula 2 update 2: I am also really upset the game doesn't let you use the switch video capture thing because I don't think ive laughed harder at a game in a while than the boss fight where I did a brutal cinematic limit break move on a loving haunted wheelchair

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Endorph posted:

Wait, what? Is it just the main cast or something? Do they try to justify that in the plot of the game? Is there any plot?

I dunno much about SM, but a licensed fighting game without literally any of the series' villains seems weird to me, like you'd think they'd throw in Beryl as the unplayable final boss and make the plot that she's mind controlling the cast to fight each other or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

I... think I've seen some in some loose gacha machines but I've honestly not looked because I'm here for jupiter

theres like one figure, a couple gachapon things, and a funko pop, yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Wait, what? Is it just the main cast or something? Do they try to justify that in the plot of the game? Is there any plot?

I dunno much about SM, but a licensed fighting game without literally any of the series' villains seems weird to me, like you'd think they'd throw in Beryl as the unplayable final boss and make the plot that she's mind controlling the cast to fight each other or something.
The fighting game is based on the third season, by which Beryl is long dead. The playable cast are just the Sailor Scouts that were around at that time, so Moon, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Chibi Moon, Pluto, Neptune, and Uranus. Sadly, Saturn is Sailor Not Appearing In This Game. I imagine the game was made on a small enough budget that eight characters was all they could really manage and they figured people cared about the main characters more than fuckin uhhh, Doctor Tomoe

actually i want to play as doctor tomoe

anyway the plot is the extremely jokey premise of 'everyone gets mad at moon and they decide to elect a new leader by way of tournament'. presumably if moon wins she just punches everyone back into place. which is what DEATH PHANTOM was mad about her doing in the space year 3000, so maybe it really is canonically accurate.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 12, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Junpei posted:

Swap Out slaps, I'm glad you realize this

It's way too good

https://youtu.be/g-zqJKc7TvU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

The fighting game is based on the third season, by which Beryl is long dead. The playable cast are just the Sailor Scouts that were around at that time, so Moon, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Chibi Moon, Pluto, Neptune, and Uranus. Sadly, Saturn is Sailor Not Appearing In This Game. I imagine the game was made on a small enough budget that eight characters was all they could really manage and they figured people cared about the main characters more than fuckin uhhh, Doctor Tomoe

actually i want to play as doctor tomoe

anyway the plot is the extremely jokey premise of 'everyone gets mad at moon and they decide to elect a new leader by way of tournament'. presumably if moon wins she just punches everyone back into place. which is what DEATH PHANTOM was mad about her doing in the space year 3000, so maybe it really is canonically accurate.

You can pay as Saturn in the pretty good romhack that also adds Raphael and Aoki Marin

https://newchallenger.net/w/index.php?title=Sailor_Moon_Fighter_S#Playable_Characters

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Speaking of brain damage and amnesia, I'm always a little perplexed when there's seemingly really minor changes to scripts in translations that don't majorly alter the plot or anything, but change things enough that it's noticeable. Going through the english version of Caligula Overdose, Kuchinashi and Wicked being flirty with the protagonist is pretty much gone. Kuchinashi in particular it doesn't really play into her characterization so it doesn't really matter but I can't help but always wonder why that stuff changes.
Thinking about it some more, maybe that does matter in Wicked's case. Spoilers for both games. In 2, Marie's abilities include a bunch of references to the main character from the first game. I figured that was just because of Mu's shenanigans, but if it's because part of Wicked's regret is that she couldn't be like the President, then that's a huge deal. It's not like there would have to be a romantic element to that, but there could be, and that would be important.

Assuming it is the President she admired and not Lucid, because she shouldn't know they were the same person. Though I suppose Mu could have told her in between games. Or maybe their social link meant a lot more to her than she ever let on.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
On top of everything else, Regret's English pronunciation is perfect. She really is a goddess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FractalSandwich posted:

Man. Toys for Bob have had one hell of a career.

i just looked up their career and lmao. what a ride.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i just looked up their career and lmao. what a ride.

quote:

They pursue Cruella to a bakery, and find that the puppies, led by Oddball, have tricked Cruella into being baked in an enormous cake. Cruella survives,

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I get that it's probably because they liked their game engine or something but I'm really interested in who at Bandai was like "yeah that JDM magical girl fighting game? Let's get the Star Control devs to make that". was Will Wright or Sid Meier not available that day

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i have no magical girl content except that Astral Chain put in the effort to have this be like a five second long sight gag of a magical girl legion cop character sheet on an animated TV screen

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The actual mascot character for Japanese cops deserves their own platforming game, I agree.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Barudak posted:

The actual mascot character for Japanese cops deserves their own platforming game, I agree.

that's not Lappy!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that's not Lappy!!!

No, no not Lappy in the game, I'm talking the real one in real life.

Edit: Pipo-kun. Much like Japan itself, I ignore anything not related to Tokyo so eat me other prefectures police mascots

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 12, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

I only watched a season and a half but this really just seems like something that would have happened in the show proper, lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Libluini posted:

yeah, but wizards don't, as default, and with magical girls my brain automatically puts them into the wizard category and is like "magical girls are magic, they don't use swords, durr"

brains are dumb

You gotta update your assumptions every decade or so, ideas about things get outdated. It's not that old a focal point but think She-Ra for a magical girl example for the future.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

It's not that old a focal point but think She-Ra for a magical girl example for the future.
bruh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm saying I'm sure there are older examples than the 1985 cartoon She-Ra, but she fits the idea of 'magical girl that transforms and uses a sword' since wands aren't the default weapon of the genre really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ill level i thought you meant the she-ra reboot so thats on me presuming you were being dumb, my apologies

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

ill level i thought you meant the she-ra reboot so thats on me presuming you were being dumb, my apologies

No worries, I usually am!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I get that it's probably because they liked their game engine or something but I'm really interested in who at Bandai was like "yeah that JDM magical girl fighting game? Let's get the Star Control devs to make that". was Will Wright or Sid Meier not available that day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJwUO--Hwmk&t=518s

the devs were unsatisfied with how unholy war turned out, they were fans of the sd gundam games and wanted to get an in with bandai to make an sd gundam game, they met a guy who had connections with bandai, they signed them on for a contract with bandai without telling them what the game was for, it turned out they got signed on for a magical girl game.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

this discussion made me want to pick up sailor moon again, dropped it during s1 cause the pacing was wonky af

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first season of the original anime has some bad pacing issues yeah. it takes like 2/3 of the show to itnroduce the full cast and sailor moon doesn't have a lot to do with its characters until they're all assembled so the main reasons to watch it are for the more bizarre original eps and weirder end stuff. the second and third seasons are a lot better, they're the same ep length but have weirder visuals and more interesting ideas for how to use their length to expand on the cast (there's still like three or four really bad eps in there you can skip thoguh lol. nobody needs to see the baby ep, or the two randomly lesbophobic eps of s)

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 12, 2021

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

My spicy take is that the earlier parts of Sailor Moon season 1 where it's mostly Usagi going undercover at some new Dark Kingdom establishment are a lot stronger than the Victim of the Day framework the show eventually transforms into, but I guess at the same time I get that if you want actual plot development season 1 is easily the worst about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's some interesting ideas in early s1 but. usagi has absolutely nobody to bounce off of other than luna. there's just, not a lot of actual character writing going on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the best parts of 90s sailor moon are the comedy and boy is the early season 1 stuff not that funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbf the part where they changed a scene from a bad guy hijacking a bus, to a bad guy driving a bus driver insane and the bus driver shouting "I'VE BEEN DRIVING THIS BUS FOR 20 YEARS" while rocketing through the streets is pretty funny