Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Stux posted:

sut... da Fuk up.

beabt the game EASILY as a child

getting absolutly bodied by a childs jrpg and crying about it online lol

shiny + stat freaks deserve punishment

if you are a misery machine

absolute psycho posting about funnyn monsters in a game. please touch grass.

Bust Rodd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

imho the gen 8 fossil mons are great because they are mismatched abominations, and the pokedex entries leaning even further into that as gruckles just mentioned is frankly hilarious, and i feel no moral compunction over having these opinions because -- and this is most important of all -- they're not real creatures

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

They wouldn't be that bad if they were just... not bad looking. But instead they're just mismatched nonsense without any clear design.

They actually have such a clear design that you can see what one of the original fossils would have made if they weren't mismatched.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I just think there's too many of them, we didn't need four pokemon for this joke.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the gen 8 fossils own, and so do the fused pokemon

kinda weird to make rants about how they're all sick abominations imo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I just think there's too many of them, we didn't need four pokemon for this joke.

You need at least 2 but the mix and match works better with 4 so it's not just 2 fossils that are opposites.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bill fused with a Pokémon in gen 1

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The only sick abominations are the ones posting in this thread

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Then Gen 8 fossils own because they're exactly what the pop culture, and for many still the scientific, depiction of dinosaurs are. Just a bundled up bunch of bones that look goofy, but a guy with a british accent said that it's ok if a T-Rex has useless arms.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Flopsy posted:

Some concepts I just don't especially care for. The ugly designs were the cherry on the poo poo cake for me.

They just took the brontosaurus and similar stories to their logical conclusion.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I hope we get alternate formes in another gen that are just the reverse versions. Give me a tiny raptor windmilling its legs in the air as it's dragged behind a big clunky stegosaurus body.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Flopsy posted:

Some concepts I just don't especially care for. The ugly designs were the cherry on the poo poo cake for me.

Hey real quick uh...what the ever loving gently caress my guy?

sorry... yall seeing this?? uhh... ok... so that just happened... I GUESS. normal world. or more accruately hell world actually. mods?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gruckles posted:

The gen 8 fossils are godless abominations, and it's an extremely good bit that the pokedex just shrugs it off wtih "It can't survive with its hosed up body. Weird, must be why they're extinct I guess. This definitely existed in nature."

Early paleontology was full of "this animal was all hosed up in it's structure and that's why it's not around anymore", it's great.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Stux posted:

sorry... yall seeing this?? uhh... ok... so that just happened... I GUESS. normal world. or more accruately hell world actually. mods?

I see something awful's poster standards continue to slip.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I guess there's a trend in the Pokemon fandom that takes what is written in the Pokedex as gospel and that's pretty much what the creature is about. So the Gen 8 fossil Pokemon taking a sledgehammer to that notion is refreshing at least.

The Gen 8 fossils are indeed great, but its understandable why some people are put off by them, since they'd also want to see what the actual whole creatures looked like in life rather then these weird frankenstined things.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I guess there's a trend in the Pokemon fandom that takes what is written in the Pokedex as gospel and that's pretty much what the creature is about. So the Gen 8 fossil Pokemon taking a sledgehammer to that notion is refreshing at least.

The Gen 8 fossils are indeed great, but its understandable why some people are put off by them, since they'd also want to see what the actual whole creatures looked like in life rather then these weird frankenstined things.

It's this. Their concept is good I get where they're coming from and it's a very creative reference that produced some good competitive mons. I still don't really like the idea of using something that struggles to breath in it's description. That's it.

And personally I just don't like the legendary fusion mons but if you want to use em' knock yourself right out. It's your game do whatever you want.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The legendary fusions are fine to me because they're designed as parts of a whole. Sure, they look kinda cobbled together and messed up, but that's also because they're still incomplete. They don't look any worse off than Kyurem itself.

I think if Gen 5 was released in the age of Megas and Ultra Necrozma, we'd have a Complete Kyurem that rounds the whole concept out and restores the original dragon. That might end up coming off as more agreeable. Unlike Solgaleo and Lunala, who, yeah, just kinda get used as food by a light parasite before it turns into a weird space dragon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Bee posted:

The legendary fusions are fine to me because they're designed as parts of a whole. Sure, they look kinda cobbled together and messed up, but that's also because they're still incomplete. They don't look any worse off than Kyurem itself.

I think if Gen 5 was released in the age of Megas and Ultra Necrozma, we'd have a Complete Kyurem that rounds the whole concept out and restores the original dragon. That might end up coming off as more agreeable. Unlike Solgaleo and Lunala, who, yeah, just kinda get used as food by a light parasite before it turns into a weird space dragon.

Creepy part was Lillie suddenly being super down with it after watching her beloved Nebby struggle for it's life then get beaten and absorbed. After all that set up of her story line and how she risked her life for it, it just felt very strange. But then again I don't think a coherent plot was high on the list of priorities for USUM.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lillie telling the player to show Nebby the wonders of Alola before they promptly feed it to Necrozma to restore it will never not be hilarious

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Dracovish is my friend and I will not stand for this talk of him being an abomination that should not exist.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Dracovish is my friend and I will not stand for this talk of him being an abomination that should not exist.

Best buds with Araquanid

Also Dracovish is like a giant puppy in Camp and it’s adorable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
late but parasect being a hosed up grim mushroom zombie is exactly why it rules

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
The best followup the the mix and match fossils would be comically skin shrink-wrapped fossils. The more abominations the better

IronicDongz posted:

late but parasect being a hosed up grim mushroom zombie is exactly why it rules

It's true. They should make more pokes based on extremely hosed up parasites, like that bug that becomes a fish's tongue, or that worm that gives snails crazy eyes

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Gen 9 fossils should be the missing parts from the Galar fossils.

A stegosaurus with a fish tail, a plesiosaur with a velociraptor's rear end.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Gen 9 should have Cara Liss go mad with power and split apart previous gen fossils before combining them. Give me Tyrantrum with Kabutops’ scythes, Cradily with Aerodactyl’s wings, etc.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Gen 9 should have Cara Liss go mad with power and split apart previous gen fossils before combining them. Give me Tyrantrum with Kabutops’ scythes, Cradily with Aerodactyl’s wings, etc.

Gen 9’s villain team, Team Taphonomy, will have Cara Liss as its boss. Its goal? Revive all fossils for reasons! Pokémon Tooth and Pokémon Bone, coming soon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tardigrade posted:

Best buds with Araquanid

Also Dracovish is like a giant puppy in Camp and it’s adorable.

Okay this is cute as hell I gotta admit. Also helps I love giant spiders.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I like the joke of the gen 8 fossils. But Dracovish is the only one that uses the joke to actually make a good design out of it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i think my favorite of the hosed up parasitic pokemon has to be Runerigus

lorewise, galarian yamask start out normal but get partially trapped in a cursed stone. Their evolution conditions boils down to "get it really weak and bring it to the source of the stone", which always read to me as it being eaten while on its last legs

galagazombie posted:

I like the joke of the gen 8 fossils. But Dracovish is the only one that uses the joke to actually make a good design out of it.

dracozolt is cute and my friend

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
As someone who has played every main line Pokémon game I can honestly say Gen 7 & 8 have been my favourite. They've added so many QoL changes that the older gens are difficult to play now. Also I gen 7 & 8 had some of the more imaginative new Pokémon additions.

I still understand the hate for the newer pokemon games. They are "good" games, I think most people are disappointed because, given the basically unlimited funds of the pokemon company, they could be so much better.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Butternubs posted:

As someone who has played every main line Pokémon game I can honestly say Gen 7 & 8 have been my favourite. They've added so many QoL changes that the older gens are difficult to play now. Also I gen 7 & 8 had some of the more imaginative new Pokémon additions.

I still understand the hate for the newer pokemon games. They are "good" games, I think most people are disappointed because, given the basically unlimited funds of the pokemon company, they could be so much better.

I don't even hate the new pokemon games, Gen 7 is in fact my second favorite Gen out of all of them. But I do have issues with some stuff and I will talk about them in addition to the quality of life improvements and other parts I also really like. Not gonna lie you ain't wrong that later gens have gone above and beyond to make the mechanics around raising pokemon leagues easier and less stressful. I will never stop giving them credit for the addition of secret ability capsules like God bless em' for that.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I never understood why people talk about how bad they reckon BW2's story is. All of these games have dumb stories, that's not something that is different from game to game. But I enjoyed playing BW2 and going, "oh yeah, all these silly characters are back and doing new stuff and mixing things up in this setting that I'm familiar with". I got a kick out of that. It would get stale if they did that every gen, but I like that GF occasionally break their own rules and conventions and just do something they've not done before.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hammerite posted:

I never understood why people talk about how bad they reckon BW2's story is. All of these games have dumb stories, that's not something that is different from game to game. But I enjoyed playing BW2 and going, "oh yeah, all these silly characters are back and doing new stuff and mixing things up in this setting that I'm familiar with". I got a kick out of that. It would get stale if they did that every gen, but I like that GF occasionally break their own rules and conventions and just do something they've not done before.

Ehhh....While I won't argue Pokemon isn't known for having the strongest stories at the very least they can be fun or somewhat compelling....it's sorta universally agreed Gen 8 dropped the ball there. Like I'm sort of following along with pokemon special manga at the moment and the writer is successfully pulling together a plot out of the scraps that Galar provided. Is it amazing? I mean not especially but it makes sense and is a lot stronger than what we got. Mostly because the characters are given a lot more to do with more effect on the plot and an actual threat is being built up simultaneously.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i'm amazed kusaka can still keep it going, and i feel that his pathological need to include everything from the games has hurt his storytelling in recent years

like i can't say that his su/mo arc would have suffered if he'd left out the pokepelago, as an example

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i'm amazed kusaka can still keep it going, and i feel that his pathological need to include everything from the games has hurt his storytelling in recent years

like i can't say that his su/mo arc would have suffered if he'd left out the pokepelago, as an example

I think he's begun compensating by only referencing what were relevant previous arcs which is probably for the best tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What do you mean? It was vitally important he include the spiky-eared pichu in the HGSS arc.

But even considering that his SwSh story is going better than the game imo.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hammerite posted:

It’s not that the story is bad. It’s that BW1 already had a satisfying conclusion and then you’re the guy/girl playing clean up and it all feels unnecessary.

I think a theoretical Pokémon Gray with all that B2W2 included would have made me personally enjoy it much more.

I also like Cheren and Bianca much more than Hugh as a rival.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nanigans posted:

It’s not that the story is bad. It’s that BW1 already had a satisfying conclusion and then you’re the guy/girl playing clean up and it all feels unnecessary.

I think a theoretical Pokémon Gray with all that B2W2 included would have made me personally enjoy it much more.

I also like Cheren and Bianca much more than Hugh as a rival.

Cheren and Bianca were a lot more charming with actual character arcs instead of just being hot blooded and weirdly invested in a purrloin that nobody including it's trainer actually gave a poo poo about. I can't tell if it was meant to be some strange joke he was the only one who cared about it. Like not even the pokemon itself really gave a drat in the end. Or was it supposed to be tragic that the purrloin drifted away and his sister wasn't that invested to begin with? Either way it doesn't really make for a very interesting character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Insane to me that someone would prefer an updated release to a sequel. Like I don't have anything against the 3rd versions but thinking you'd rather spend money on a slightly more polished released of a game you already have but with a new legendary instead of a totally new game with many new locations a new story and an updated dex and everything. I mean even if you don't like BW2 at all the original game is still there for you. What is it missing that you need a Pokemon Grey to address?

E: Anyway Hugh's ok. Kinda sucks at being a rival because he doesn't actually want to beat you (and his team sucks) but first rival since Silver to actually give a poo poo about the villains. He stands out a little and I think that's a point in his favour.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BW2 was great.