Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Macaluso posted:

Question about The Big Cheese. What's the tell for which side he's gonna do his big laser attack on? I've done that dungeon a few times now, and I watched him and it didn't seem like he moved any of his limbs differently or anything to indicate it

IIRC the direction is called out in the spell name. Easy way to remember: go right for Right Disassembler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just as an FYI and I know this has been mentioned before, but the Grand Company seals can now be spent on lockboxes to get random minions and mounts from either ARR+heavensward or stormblood for 20k seals a piece. To me at least it makes it worth rolling greed on a lot of stuff I was previously ignoring to hand in for seals.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Just as an FYI and I know this has been mentioned before, but the Grand Company seals can now be spent on lockboxes to get random minions and mounts from either ARR+heavensward or stormblood for 20k seals a piece. To me at least it makes it worth rolling greed on a lot of stuff I was previously ignoring to hand in for seals.

Should also mention that you have to be at a higher rank than you can get from the "normal" ways. As in, you have to do Squadron stuff and some other things to unlock the higher ranks.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

You have to be a Captain, though, which means you have to do command missions. :smith:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I decided that finishing EW was an appropriate cause for updating my forum avatar.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

MechaX posted:

I also absolutely do not regret this dialogue choice.

This was a favorite part of mine.

"Come now! Here at the end, simply admit it at last: much like me, you are thrill-seeking Gamer Trash."

"Fine, I can't deny it. Much like you, Zenos, I, too, am in fact... a Gamer."

I thought my Iconic Screenshot turned out p. good, too:

SirPhoebos posted:

I decided that finishing EW was an appropriate cause for updating my forum avatar.

:hmmyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Theris posted:

You have to be a Captain, though, which means you have to do command missions. :smith:

I friggin did Toto-Rak for this promotion, legitimately the greatest hardship I've faced with the game in the past week

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Literally on the last boss of a dungeon, and my FC announced that Chi had just spawned. Then one second later got disconnected. Not having work on a Sunday and being able to get on at like 8 sure didn't help me here :( And of course the queue is moving so slow it might as well not be moving at all.

Unrelated, my gear is currently a mix of the gear Tataru makes you and the newest tomestone gear. I noticed a few pieces, specifically the chest and the and weapon for RDM, has SIGNIFICANTLY less crit than the Tataru gear. In fact the chestpiece goes from having 224 to... 0. Do I want to find a mix of the tomestone gear and crafted gear? Throughout ShB I just grabbed the highest tomestone gear and went with the recommended gear button. But this time I looked more closely and noticed the massive loss in crit and wondering now if I should be not just going by the recommended gear button. I like that button because it saves me any real work, but that kind of stat loss seems pretty significant. Is the idea that you're expected to make up that lost crit with materia?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
the 10 item levels is usually enough to make up for substat loss, but someone with a better grasp on the new numbers might have a better answer

e: the tank gear having nearly no skill speed is definitely a bummer for DRK, since they still want enough sks for 5 hits in blood weapon. And with the amount of materia it takes to get to even 2.45 gcd it sounds like it might be better just to give up on that dream for the time being.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 12, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Steelion posted:

the 10 item levels is usually enough to make up for substat loss, but someone with a better grasp on the new numbers might have a better answer

There's only a few extreme edge cases where it's worthwhile to dip in ilvl. This is especially the case for crit early on in an expansion, since the exponential nature of higher and higher crit rating makes it better as you get more of it and comparatively worse at a baseline.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I friggin did Toto-Rak for this promotion, legitimately the greatest hardship I've faced with the game in the past week

I tried Pharos cause I like the music and... they kept enraging the bird boss.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

There's only a few extreme edge cases

Always look outside the arena for the tell

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think the rule of thumb was that 1 of mainstat > 10 of substat? Like a ring with 102 MND but the substats are sks that you don't need and like piety or something is worse than a ring with 100 MND and crit/det, but a ring with 110 MND and poo poo substats is better than the 100 MND ring with good substats

I don't know if this changed with Endwalker though. It basically only ever comes up with leveling gear (where it doesn't matter in the slightest and you can just use recommended gear and forget about it) and when they introduce intermediate ilvl gear like the Bozja stuff.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I know that the story was a home run because after months of joking to myself that I would be playing Limp Bizcuit''s "My Way" in my head when the WoL vs Zenos fight happened, I didn't actually do that.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I didn't realize how much the trust dialogue could differ. Lvl 89 dungeon story spoilers

like if you take Y'shtola and Thancred, they comfort Papalymo, telling him Lyse is ok. If you don't take Y'shtola Thancred just gives him a goodbye.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its pretty insane how my old beat up machine from 8 years ago is more stable running this game than my newer one. I cannot play this game for 2 hours without experiencing random crashes. Fresh installing "stable" drivers, re-installing the client, lowering the speed of the ram, nothing seems to be working. I'm setting a downclock on the GPU to see if stability increases.

Its the same machine I used throughout all of shadowbringer, it wasnt this crashy during that.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The queues are absurd. I don't poopsock anymore so babysitting a 3+ hour queue to play for an hour feels terrible. It's a real shame, the game is good but it's not worth this hassle.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Astrochicken posted:

The queues are absurd. I don't poopsock anymore so babysitting a 3+ hour queue to play for an hour feels terrible. It's a real shame, the game is good but it's not worth this hassle.

If you’re just working via quests, they have it set up so you can log into a different world instead of your congested home server. You can’t interact with retainers and such, but you can absolutely progress via quests. Saves some of the queue pain.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Astrochicken posted:

I was about to post something similar. I managed to fight through a bunch of times and finish the MSQ, but I just can't muster up the desire to deal with all the bullshit to do stuff like level alt jobs or do roulettes. I guess I hope that there's lot of people like me and maybe things will work themselves out in the next few weeks, but I also think that's probably not great if they want to retain the big rush of people as long-term subscribers.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Cythereal posted:

Yup. This one. Also occasionally plays in solo duties.

I just love the part at 0:23 it just makes me wanna head bang.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there a website somewhere with the congestion status / players-in-queue for all servers? Something like the world status page that shows which worlds are congested/preferred for new accounts, but for login queues.

Also lmao at every single world on every non-Japanese DC being congested

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If you look up the steam numbers, ShB launch was averaging around 30k players at peak times. The "content drought" recently was getting 40k players, and now during EW launch it's averaging 80k people at peak times. Servers are hosed :v:

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Xun posted:

If you look up the steam numbers, ShB launch was averaging around 30k players at peak times. The "content drought" recently was getting 40k players, and now during EW launch it's averaging 80k people at peak times. Servers are hosed :v:

It's even worse today.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just got done with the 87 dungeon and I'm really disappointed at the story's direction: The moment I met Meteion and she revealed she could feel and transmit emotions, I thought "this better not lead to her finding out life is sad, and so she gets sad and wants other to be sad." Then low and behold, she does. It feels really contrived. Not that Aether isn't itself problematic, just that this feels tacked on top of everything and comes out of left field as an easy way out for the writers probably having written themselves in a corner in regards to what started the apocalypse. For a small moment there I thought Meteion had witnessed some sort of cosmic horror at the end of the universe, warping her consciousness, (not saying it would have been better, but it was the impression I got from the cutscene when she receives the info) but no, it's just "things die and it's sad." I'm not done with the story, so mayhap they'll be taking this in another direction, but for now I'm really annoyed. The memory wipe, too, feels like a massive cope out.

They had been doing such a great job up until Elpis I think. Right now I just feel like I'm playing through someone's fanfiction of FF14. People have been clamoring they stick the landing perfectly, so I'm hoping there's something else that hasn't been revealed/told yet that will either give a better context to this, or simply change direction toward something better thought out.

At least Argos is a good boi

Popoto fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 12, 2021

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Has anyone bought anything from the Mogstore during this level of congestion? Usually anytime I buy something just exiting the game fully and relogging back in makes the item appear (hitting the button on the mailbox feels like a placebo and never has worked) but I bought something this morning and haven't gotten my item in like an hour, logging in and out does nothing. Was hoping to get it before the servers hit 6k queue or whatever but I guess that's not happening.

It took me around 24 hours to get something I ordered. That was on launch day though so it may be better now.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Popoto posted:

Just got done with the 87 dungeon and I'm really disappointed at the story's direction: [...]For a small moment there I thought Meteion had witnessed some sort of cosmic horror at the end of the universe, warping her consciousness, (not saying it would have been better, but it was the impression I got from the cutscene when she receives the info) but no, it's just "things die and it's sad."

these are the same thing.

like I get what you're saying and agree it could've been conveyed better but if we could find intelligent life incredibly quickly but immediately found that we were the only living beings left because the rest had killed themselves in a relentless pattern of self-destruction then for a lot of people that would be a cosmic, consciousness-warping horror, especially if the self-destruction had happened hundreds of times.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m wondering: what’s the cheapest way to get to the moon from Sharlyan?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Popoto posted:

Just got done with the 87 dungeon and I'm really disappointed at the story's direction: The moment I met Meteion and she revealed she could feel and transmit emotions, I thought "this better not lead to her finding out life is sad, and so she gets sad and wants other to be sad." Then low and behold, she does. It feels really contrived. Not that Aether isn't itself problematic, just that this feels tacked on top of everything and comes out of left field as an easy way out for the writers probably having written themselves in a corner in regards to what started the apocalypse. For a small moment there I thought Meteion had witnessed some sort of cosmic horror at the end of the universe, warping her consciousness, (not saying it would have been better, but it was the impression I got from the cutscene when she receives the info) but no, it's just "things die and it's sad." I'm not done with the story, so mayhap they'll be taking this in another direction, but for now I'm really annoyed. The memory wipe, too, feels like a massive cope out.

Meteion is acting as an avatar of nihilism, it's not so much that the universe is sad but she's overwhelmed by the arbitrary meaninglessness of it. She was sent to find a grand universal answer and there is none, so she's entered a (very long) dark night of the soul. By contrast we're playing as an avatar of existentialism. We're surrounded by much the same. It's why so much of the story is about people finding ways to deal with trauma, suffering, and depression.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
90 MSQ You idiot! Just once ... just ONCE stay with us to the end!

:negative:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Valentin posted:

these are the same thing.

like I get what you're saying and agree it could've been conveyed better but if we could find intelligent life incredibly quickly but immediately found that we were the only living beings left because the rest had killed themselves in a relentless pattern of self-destruction then for a lot of people that would be a cosmic, consciousness-warping horror, especially if the self-destruction had happened hundreds of times.

But that’s not a cosmic horror for me. It’s just life. Things die out. It’s normal. We’re all gonna die here too. Humanities days are counted, whether it’s a century or a millennia more. The explanation rings hollow for me. I get that many might find the natural order horrific, including the writers most likely for making Meteion the big bad that way (as it seems for now), but that’s where I get pulled out of my immersion.

It feels a bit rushed, and not as thought out as the story in ShB. In any case, I’ll be back once I finish the expansion with my thoughts on the whole thing, including the previous expansions. Maybe things will fit better once I have the whole picture.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Login 1.5 hours ago, 2.5k queue "Ok, I can deal with this"

2002 at 200

Log back in, 5k queue.

I'm good for today.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On the 2002's. Someone on Reddit did a packet capture and figured out what was going on.

You get 2002'd when you first try to log in if the login server is overloaded past 21k limit. Once you're in the queue, for whatever reason, every 15 minutes the client tears down its TCP session with the login server and starts a new one. If on that 15 minute tear down session/recreate session event, the login queue exceeds that limit, you get booted like you were just trying to log in for the first time. It's got nothing to do with your connection in general to the internet and all to do with a queue logic that's pretty odd.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Popoto posted:

But that’s not a cosmic horror for me. It’s just life. Things die out. It’s normal. We’re all gonna die here too. Humanities days are counted, whether it’s a century or a millennia more. The explanation rings hollow for me. I get that many might find the natural order horrific, including the writers most likely for making Meteion the big bad that way (as it seems for now), but that’s where I get pulled out of my immersion.

It feels a bit rushed, and not as thought out as the story in ShB. In any case, I’ll be back once I finish the expansion with my thoughts on the whole thing, including the previous expansions. Maybe things will fit better once I have the whole picture.

There's thousands of years of human history, art and writing, entire schools of philosophy, and religion in general, that are all about how to deal with life, death, suffering, what's the point of living in the face of an uncaring universe, etc. That's great that sort of thing doesn't bother you, but it's clearly an extremely common concern for basically every culture on earth throughout all of recorded human history, not just the writers. You don't have to like the story obviously, but clearly "that's just life, get over it" by itself isn't a satisfactory answer or comfort for people in general.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Popoto posted:

It wasn't just "things die, how sad". Meteion found that even the beings that reached immortality decided that killing themselves was a better option than continuing to exist.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
My biggest hope for the future of FFXIV that we get more Kokkol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Popoto posted:

Well yes, that's the point. The big bad is a naive emotional psychic construct who got so overwhelmed by the inevitable death of every civilization they found in the universe that they lost their absolute poo poo and were unable to come to terms with an admittedly pretty difficult thing to comprehend, especially if you're like maybe a couple weeks old and were constructed by a civilization that has never had to think about that despair before, and especially if it happens hundreds upon hundreds of times within a very short timespan to your hive mind.

Nothing about this is strange and it makes complete sense. The entire story is about coming to terms with what you claim to understand.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Large Testicles posted:

Login 1.5 hours ago, 2.5k queue "Ok, I can deal with this"

2002 at 200

Log back in, 5k queue.

I'm good for today.

Exact same here.

Feels like getting kicked from the queue and not getting back in to my position has gotten significantly worse since the fixes, not better. I used to get kicked maybe every hour or two and get back in if I caught it within 5 minutes. Now I get kicked every 20-30 minutes and am lucky if I get back into my spot at all.

Feels bad. =(

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

On the 2002's. Someone on Reddit did a packet capture and figured out what was going on.

You get 2002'd when you first try to log in if the login server is overloaded past 21k limit. Once you're in the queue, for whatever reason, every 15 minutes the client tears down its TCP session with the login server and starts a new one. If on that 15 minute tear down session/recreate session event, the login queue exceeds that limit, you get booted like you were just trying to log in for the first time. It's got nothing to do with your connection in general to the internet and all to do with a queue logic that's pretty odd.

Previously when this tear down happened, the screen would just flicker and it wouldn't always lead to a kick. So either there are that many more people trying to get on today or something small changed in the server process.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Popoto posted:

Echoing what others have said, I'd also point out some of the details of those reports in the cutscenes are extremely traumatic, even if you don't personally feel the existential fear of everything fading away. For example, the planet the Meteia found that had destroyed itself in a peace enforcement war (I think that was the detail, not in game right now to confirm); when they found the last surviving person and asked him "what meaning is there in life", they report that he killed himself in front of them.

If you're an extremely empathic creature and you were specifically told by your depressed creator "find these other civilizations and figure out what meaning there is in life," then how could you not feel that kind of enormous misery when someone who asks you that question answers through suicide? Not to mention that then ripples across every single other Meteia in an emotional echo chamber.

Every civilization didn't just fade away. Many of the ones the Meteia found were the equivalent of choking, bleeding out, or dying of cancer. I also don't really suffer that existential dread, but if I had to imagine myself and those I loved in the throes of that kind of collapse of civilization, I'd be pretty loving horrified too.

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 12, 2021

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Onean posted:

I haven't seen this brought up here yet, but I noticed that PLD guy new un/sheathing animations and appreciated it because the old one kind of bothered me.

Turns out, every job got new animations! (No spoilers here.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDzLU40AsHI
Yeah I noticed this and wish you could have the option to use it outside of cutscenes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There's also the detail that Meteion's own reason for doing that task beyond "orders" was to make Hermes feel better. And all she got back was "Life is horrible and we wish we were dead" and Hermes pushed her to tell him that. No wonder the Meteia had a collective breakdown.