Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Everyone should only have one name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Get out of my son

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My mom insisted on changing my name to a hyphenated name when I was like 8. Not out of any equality thing. It's that she assumed I'd want to be a politician and my dad's last name has a sex word in it. So, she said "You'll be momname-dadname at first but then when you're older you'll take off dadname so when you run for office you'll just be momname." But then she never changed it with the SSA, just with the local school system. I guess in the 80s stuff wasn't as connected. So as soon as I graduated I was just my own regular lastname again.

I have much more of a connection to my mom's side of the family so I would even consider changing my name to just that. But like, at this point I've got degrees and stuff under dadname. Also if I did run for office I'd absolutely use that sex word as part of my campaign.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
nice to meet you mister johnson-wanker

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If Dick Butkis can make it to the NFL any name can make it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

there's a guy in auto racing called dick trickle

i figure if you got one of those names it's sink or swim; you either own it or you drown

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Those guys could go by Rich if they wanted. They know what they're doing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Butt

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Brawnfire posted:

I'm Hyphen

Hi Phen, I'm Dad

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

greazeball posted:

The first rule of anime club is never watch anime of any kind when other people might see

The first rule of anime club is don't get Perfect Blue and La Blue Girl mixed up.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
As someone who works in admin who has to handle names all the time, the only actual major problems that people naming their kids need to avoid is naming their twins near identical names. Sure, you think naming your kids Alexandria and Alexandra is cute but good loving luck getting their documents correct reliably. Hope your kids never go to the hospital or both apply for the same thing, things can easily get thrown out for being "duplicates" or get switched between them because someone handling the documents later gets it wrong.

Also copying this over from the Schadenfreude thread.

my team is requiring us to do a diet/exercise/”mental toughness” program

quote:

We’re back in the office responsibly and safely, and different departments have started team rebuilding exercises to “make up for lost bonding time.” Le barffe. My division lead decided on 75 Hard as our team-building exercise. 75 Hard is a program that includes a diet and exercise regimen and some lifestyle changes and philosophies that are medically unsound and flawed. Also didn’t we just go through a pandemic? Wasn’t that hard enough?

The one palatable part of the “reset” is to read self-help and business books so I emailed the team this: “Thanks for the invite, but I’m not comfortable with this program and don’t feel it would be a beneficial experience for me. I’d be happy to participate in the joint reading section so long as the reading material has some positivity behind it. (Insert book recommendations that were immediately tossed out for being ‘girly’.)”

The response was, “Oh, it’s not supposed to be a positive experience blah blah.” I stood my ground politely and my manager later hinted to the division that not participating in team-building exercises will be negatively reflected in our yearly reviews. He then said we should bring in a doctor’s note if we wanted to be excused. Uh. No.

Other people on my team who don’t want to participate are staying relatively quiet, but I think enough is enough.

In the past my department has done habit resets before, holding each other accountable with obnoxious reminders that REALLY skirt the limits of ableism and bullying. It’s a startup that doesn’t really have what passes for HR. Instead they do “peer mediation” which is a nightmare. The company president/owner is a relatively level-headed woman but should I escalate this that high up (great-grand boss)? There’s a lot going on that I think necessitates the need for an HR department, this just highlights it. Part of me thinks it’s time to cut bait, but honestly, this particular job is a major resume builder to a great freelance career so I should probably hang out for a while.

update: my team is requiring us to do a diet/exercise/”mental toughness” program

quote:

Well, here’s a fun update: It turned out that 75 Hard was the owner’s idea to start with. A coworker saw my question on AAM (it was the “le barffe” that gave me away, I need to come up with new commentary) and she told me almost nobody wants to do it, just nobody wanted to come forward.

I sent the owner and my boss the clarification email and copied everyone who had a problem with 75 Hard, approaching it as a group concern. Our entire team got an email from the owner saying she assigned 75 Hard to our department specifically because we’re too soft in her opinion. She’s been behind all the other lifestyle reset BS from the start, assigning programs she thinks certain departments need and it was 75 Hard or quit. That along with some of the, yes, amateur hour start-up bullshit made up my mind for me and apparently most of the team.

So we quit. 15 people in a 25-person department. It wasn’t planned by any means but we were given that ultimatum the week before Thanksgiving and a bunch of us resigned over the holiday, myself included. This is a bananas time off year for them, so losing staff like that is a huge burden. I don’t know how they’re faring, but let’s just say they’re getting the hard part of 75 Hard.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I hope at least some of these antiwork stories are real. That owns if it is real.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

teen witch posted:

Sad story but the spoiler was :drat:

Trying to regain trust and fix my relationship after keying car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g751-jjKXC0

Edit:

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Let's not forget my favorite NFL name, Jim Bob Cooter.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 12, 2021

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sorry about your name Alan Gaper.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Foo Diddley posted:

there's a guy in auto racing called dick trickle

i figure if you got one of those names it's sink or swim; you either own it or you drown

He used to get annoyed because they'd announce the results and always include him

"Jeff Gordon took victory in Bristol today, ahead of Earnhardt Jr and Jimmie Johnson. Dick trickle finished 34th"

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Piell posted:

Also copying this over from the Schadenfreude thread.

update: my team is requiring us to do a diet/exercise/”mental toughness” program

I can't imagine what my response would be if my work told me I couldn't drink anymore and I had to workout for 90 minutes a day but I would probably need a thesaurus to research all the ways I would tell them to go gently caress themselves.

And I am saying this as someone that rarely drinks and works out for around 90 minutes a day.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

B-Rock452 posted:

I can't imagine what my response would be if my work told me I couldn't drink anymore and I had to workout for 90 minutes a day but I would probably need a thesaurus to research all the ways I would tell them to go gently caress themselves.

And I am saying this as someone that rarely drinks and works out for around 90 minutes a day.
You can see why they don't have an HR department, because this violates the ADA seven ways from Sunday.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

I hope at least some of these antiwork stories are real. That owns if it is real.

It's from Ask A Manager, which tends towards mostly true stories in my opinion since there's no karma to be gained so I reckon it's legit.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for bringing my own food on a family dinner at my in laws house?

quote:

I've been with my husband for 4 years and we had an elopement on summer. My in laws are very traditional and they didn't want to invite me to their house for an event or dinner unless we were married. So for 4 years I've never been invited to family dinners, whether it's birthdays, holidays, anything really. I was only allowed to visit for a casual hang out with them but not be part of the "official gatherings". I didn't like that and neither did my husband but they're very traditional. There's been a lot of conflict about this because my husband chose to spend holidays with me for the past 2 years and since my in laws didn't allow me in their house we spent the holidays either with my family or our friends.

Now that we are married, although not through a traditional wedding (in laws weren't happy about it but we are legally married so there's not much they can say anyway), they've started inviting me on their family gatherings. Since we got married there had not been any and the first was few days ago at my father in law's birthday dinner.

I'm vegetarian, while I still eat dairy I don't eat meat. My husband told my MIL if she could prepare some vegetarian options for me as well and it doesn't have to be something difficult, even some beans or a salad I would be fine with. My MIL refused and said the main dish is steak. She refused to make a simple salad with tomato and lettuce. I told my husband that I'll have no choice but to prepare my own food to eat.

So I brought my own food and my in laws got mad at me and called me disrespectful, my MIL said that I didn't even bother appreciating her cooking and insulted me for my vegetarian choices. My husband told them to knock it off and that they're being unreasonable but my in laws, including my SIL who's not as traditional as them, told me that bringing my own food to eat to another house is disrespectful no matter the circumstances. AITA????

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for bringing my own food on a family dinner at my in laws house?
My in laws are very traditional and they didn't want to invite me to their house for an event or dinner unless we were married. So for 4 years I've never been invited to family dinners, whether it's birthdays, holidays, anything really. I was only allowed to visit for a casual hang out with them but not be part of the "official gatherings". I didn't like that and neither did my husband but they're very traditional. There's been a lot of conflict about this because my husband chose to spend holidays with me for the past 2 years and since my in laws didn't allow me in their house we spent the holidays either with my family or our friends.
This woman sounds so dense and impermeable that I want to try and use her as waterproofing insulation.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can see why they don't have an HR department, because this violates the ADA seven ways from Sunday.
How so?

quote:

He then said we should bring in a doctor’s note if we wanted to be excused.
Note that I'm not defending this absurd bullshit, just saying that accommodation laws are very narrow and it's quite possible to be a raging rear end in a top hat and still be compliant.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

How so?

Note that I'm not defending this absurd bullshit, just saying that accommodation laws are very narrow and it's quite possible to be a raging rear end in a top hat and still be compliant.
You're right. Dammit.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Piell posted:

quote:

Our entire team got an email from the owner saying she assigned 75 Hard to our department specifically because we’re too soft in her opinion.

"too soft" for what exactly? Computer touching/tech support/advertising or whatever this company does? Yeah, you've all been working from home just for a year but now it's time to TOUGHEN UP for that grueling office lifestyle. :jerkbag:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

for a fun short read, the classic Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names

e: as a programmer i feel a professional shame whenever i see a form with separate "first name" and "last name" fields

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DorkusMalorkus posted:

"too soft" for what exactly? Computer touching/tech support/advertising or whatever this company does? Yeah, you've all been working from home just for a year but now it's time to TOUGHEN UP for that grueling office lifestyle. :jerkbag:

drat, that would have been a good time to send a calendar invite to the owner with "Location: Parking Lot. Description: We'll show you how soft we are."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ilmucche posted:

He used to get annoyed because they'd announce the results and always include him

"Jeff Gordon took victory in Bristol today, ahead of Earnhardt Jr and Jimmie Johnson. Dick trickle finished 34th"

I mean-- if I were watching a race and I knew he raced in it I would definitely be thinking 'heh I wonder how Dick Trickle did' so they're correct to do it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

mania posted:

OP's an rear end in a top hat of goatse sized proportions.

"She chose to get hurt" is so amazing that I hope I have the chance to apologize like this sometime in the future.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

B-Rock452 posted:

I think my response would be to ask for my normal hourly rate during the workout and meal prep times

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
WIBTA if I leave my husbands affair baby with my MIL while the rest of us go on vacation

quote:

My (f38) husband (f58) has a child from an affair he had a couple years ago. I forgave my husband but I can not force myself to see his son as my stepson. The custody arraignment is that my husband has him every other week , Christmas and most Christmas vacation this year, falls on the days that he has him. I have an annual trip that me and few of the other housewives put together for all of families. His ex-mistress, Leah is refusing to take him for just this week I told her she’s being selfish and that she should want to spend Christmas with her son she said that so should my husband . My husband agreed with me so we decided we would drop him and his presents off to my MIL. When Leah found out she was furious she said I’m being selfish I told her she’s the last one to be talking about being selfish and she has so control over what my husband does with the child during the time he has custody of him. My oldest daughter (f18) told me she agrees with Leah and that there’s no reason why he’s being punished for their affair . I told her to stay in a child’s place and that if she keeps this up she’ll be joining him

From comments:

quote:

I made the mistake of looking at OP’s post history. What. A. Mistake.

OP was 18 and husband was 39 when they started dating. Married for 16 years. She was his niece’s babysitter.

Husband had an affair with his 18 year old college student and got her pregnant.

OP’s youngest (Izzy) and the affair child (Chris) are only a couple of weeks apart in age, are in the same grades/school, and are friends.

(Direct quote from OP’s other post): “Chris and Izzy became close friends and even began to see each other as siblings which sucks because when my husband decided to be apart of that child’s life I made sure that the homewrecker’s child and my children stayed away from each other”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I think my response would be to ask for my normal hourly rate during the workout and meal prep times

This. 100% I would accept overtime pay to get swole.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

My oldest daughter (f18) told me she agrees with Leah and that there’s no reason why he’s being punished for their affair . I told her to stay in a child’s place and that if she keeps this up she’ll be joining him

Wow threatening to make her become an affair baby

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA if I leave my husbands affair baby with my MIL while the rest of us go on vacation

From comments:

I think this may be a John Irving novel

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

The Glumslinger posted:

It clearly should be paid overtime. The reading too, and everything else.

E: Spending half your workday working out and reading self help books or whatever would be fun too. Lunch now takes 2 hours because you gotta meal prep poo poo for tomorrow too. soz, can't do my work now, boss wants me to get swole.

Yolo Swaggins Esq fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 13, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not wanting to waste my winter break to go somewhere with my sister?

quote:

My (15m) sister (13f) got some kind of eye cancer, (not deadly at all at worse she will become blind) But if surgery goes as it’s supposed to she’ll just have pretty horrible eyesight and will need glasses, yet she will temporarily not be able to see after the surgery. We have to go somewhere pretty far for treatment.We’re going to go leave on Christmas and come back the weekend my winter break ends, because of some post operation checkup.

My parents told me that I would have to go with them. I obviously didn’t want to and asked why. She said that they couldn’t leave me home alone for 2 weeks or more. I said I’m 15 I can handle myself. She said that, it was final and I should “want” to come to support my sister. I said I don’t , she can handle herself. She then said that I was being a horrible brother and that I was coming wether I liked it or not. I said this is stupid, I have to waste my only break for a while because I was cursed with her. My mom got pissed and said that’s it your not getting that PC for Christmas. I said if your going to be like that I earned half the money for it I can keep working. She said she was going to withdraw my permit. (Here technically anyone can work but until your 16 you need your parents signature for some permit). I said your being insane fine I’ll come. She said that if she even thinks I’m not being “helpful” enough the pc is gone. Joe I’m starting to think maybe I’m being a little rude and should b thinking more about my sister. AITA?

I mean going blind isn't that bad, right?

Speaking as someone who housesat this summer, and got roped into watching a teenager (admittedly he was 13 not quite 14) I am levels of LMAO at the idea of a 15 year old being left home alone for two weeks. My nephew forgot to close the exterior door to the house, the garage door multiple times, and, as his parents never have made him do chores at all, left dishes and bowls all over the house for the dogs to get into. He was surprised when I left him with chores to do, as in, not leaving his filthy clothes all over the place.

Ah, to be a teenager again.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

The Glumslinger posted:

I am changing my response to this...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I keep trying to remember that these kids are literally brain-deficient, but it's still hard. Like yeah a hotel isn't ideal but like... it's a hotel. You can make the best of it.

quote:

Speaking as someone who housesat this summer, and got roped into watching a teenager (admittedly he was 13 not quite 14) I am levels of LMAO at the idea of a 15 year old being left home alone for two weeks. My nephew forgot to close the exterior door to the house, the garage door multiple times, and, as his parents never have made him do chores at all, left dishes and bowls all over the house for the dogs to get into. He was surprised when I left him with chores to do, as in, not leaving his filthy clothes all over the place.

It really is wild how much basic poo poo you can't do when you're a kid, even if your parents are the super-strict military types who regiment your life and get you reflexively disciplined. "They say adulthood is when you understand why your parents got so mad about not defrosting the chicken" and that's loving on-point.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean going blind isn't that bad, right?

Yeah, like, it is unfortunate that his break is going to be a stressful trip stuck with his parents and younger sister, but at least he's not the one with eye cancer. Sometimes unfair things just happen and all you can do is make the best of it! Better he figure that out with a boring break than via getting eye cancer!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah......this all depends on what kind of parents they have. Don't get me wrong, teenagers are by-brain-chemistry gonna be idiots about some things. That can't be helped by anything other than time. But the "not having chores" when the definition of those are "knowing how to and that you NEDD TO do things that won't end you up in this thread" shouldn't be a high bar.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

mind the walrus posted:

I keep trying to remember that these kids are literally brain-deficient, but it's still hard. Like yeah a hotel isn't ideal but like... it's a hotel. You can make the best of it.

I was furious having to go to Las Vegas on vacation with my family at 16. And not just because Las Vegas sucks. Teenagers just don't want to be with their families sometimes. Fact of nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Let's not forget my favorite NFL name, Jim Bob Cooter.

Jim Bob Cooter got nothin' on Ha Ha Clinton Dix