Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Antonymous posted:

what dollys are cheap and accessible

fisher is still rental only

you can make a dolly out of pvc pipe and skateboard wheels bolted to some plywood. in fact, most film schools that actually approach the technical side of filmmaking are pretty gung ho about the importance and ease of diy poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

also just watched this and yeah if anything it felt like it was trying to beat you over the head with it in an incredibly unsubtle manner. like even in de Gris' version of events he's still obviously a complete piece of poo poo. the fight at the end rocked too

yeah even when you watch le gris' version he still rapes her. like i have no idea how you could miss this. when he's talking to pierre he tells him that "she made the usual protestations, she's a woman!" and its supposed to be like, oh poo poo this dude has raped lots of women. and then pierre explains to him that since he's the judge nothing will happen and its 1:1 how companies handle this same poo poo today. the better part of a millennium has passed and things are barely any different. the movie is very clear on this

i got really mad at myself because it wasn't until le gris' section that i realized i had been uncritically accepting de carrouge's story as true. and then marguerite's section showed me what a loving dumbass i am

the thing about all the people giving ridley scott poo poo over the movie that is so funny is that the dude made "thelma and louise" 30 years ago and what's different? you could watch the two movies back to back and have a really grim laugh at how nothing has changed

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

porfiria posted:

Jeanine Garafalo screaming about not wanting the USA to murder millions of innocent people to line Dick Cheney's pockets and being driven insane is one of the funniest and saddest things in the world.

wasn't the whole thing with that was that the networks wouldn't put on more "credible" experts/commentators who might look/sound too legit and figured booking celebs and comedians would discredit the anti war movement?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

wasn't the whole thing with that was that the networks wouldn't put on more "credible" experts/commentators who might look/sound too legit and figured booking celebs and comedians would discredit the anti war movement?

eh, I remember seeing Cornell West and Howard Zinn on actual news channel segments back then, they can discredit anyone they want. comics just give better banter

e: maybe it was Gore Vidal who made the rounds on mainstream networks, not Howard Zinn? it was a long time ago

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

films are incredibly expensive and advertising is not part of the budget that's quoted, Xaris you don't know what your'e talking about

you can film and edit a movie on your freakin iphone 13 pro. it’s only expensive as you want it to be.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

South Park was always lovely Right Wing show, the only Right Wing thing the show ever criticized was rural poor rednecks, everything else about Conservatism they loved.

gently caress Matt & Trey anti- union shitheads

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

eh, I remember seeing Cornell West and Howard Zinn on actual news channel segments back then, they can discredit anyone they want. comics just give better banter

e: maybe it was Gore Vidal who made the rounds on mainstream networks, not Howard Zinn? it was a long time ago

yea I remember as a kid seeing Gore Vidal going 'maybe this is a stupid idea actually and we shouldn't destroy two countries for nothing' and that was what got me into reading him, so at the very least he was in the mix.

But yea they picked easy targets like comics or shock guys like Maher who while not wrong about 'no the 9/11 dudes weren't cowards, you can hate them all you want but calling them cowards is stupid, we're the cowards bombing people' he obviously was relying on shock attention and all because no poo poo people are going to freak out about that, but there were plenty of actual anti-war academics at the beginning who got fairly mainstream treatment.

Only semi related but I'll never forget a Daily Show bit where Stewart showed clips of pro and anti war marches and for the pro war he picked some douchebag being all 'well now I don't like war and it's sad to think of but we gotta make HARD CHOICES' to nod solemnly over and say he makes a good point, and then someone from the anti war side saying the war was for profit and based on lies and he treated it like he was a stoned moron hippie who was lost or something. Absolute demon man.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

you can film and edit a movie on your freakin iphone 13 pro. it’s only expensive as you want it to be.

it looks like poo poo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Judakel posted:

it looks like poo poo

if you can’t frame a shot on an iphone then having an arri alexa isn’t gonna help

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

indigi posted:

lmao as someone who sits in the edit bay you absolutely have to pay me six figures to edit poo poo, i get why any kind of filmed content costs tons of cash

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

if you can’t frame a shot on an iphone then having an arri alexa isn’t gonna help

it looks like poo poo stop it. you're not doing dune on a loving iphone

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wasn't coherence shot on an iphone almost a decade ago? They did it for like 50k and it's great

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

mastershakeman posted:

Wasn't coherence shot on an iphone almost a decade ago? They did it for like 50k and it's great

and over 5 freaking days. not saying cost = quality, look at all of hollywood. just that i understand why it costs a fuckload to make anything filmed because you're employing a fuckload of people to do it outside of auteur things funded by the writer/director's parents

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

KomradeX posted:

South Park was always lovely Right Wing show, the only Right Wing thing the show ever criticized was rural poor rednecks, everything else about Conservatism they loved.

gently caress Matt & Trey anti- union shitheads

so many kids I went to school with loved to shout "you loving jew!" at me like cartman.

honestly though the main problem was that south park was just not funny which made it very difficult to listen to people talk about how hilarious it was.

i guess it's still airing but lol they're like going back and disavowing their old episodes and poo poo. a mess!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Serf posted:

yeah even when you watch le gris' version he still rapes her. like i have no idea how you could miss this. when he's talking to pierre he tells him that "she made the usual protestations, she's a woman!" and its supposed to be like, oh poo poo this dude has raped lots of women. and then pierre explains to him that since he's the judge nothing will happen and its 1:1 how companies handle this same poo poo today. the better part of a millennium has passed and things are barely any different. the movie is very clear on this

i got really mad at myself because it wasn't until le gris' section that i realized i had been uncritically accepting de carrouge's story as true. and then marguerite's section showed me what a loving dumbass i am

the thing about all the people giving ridley scott poo poo over the movie that is so funny is that the dude made "thelma and louise" 30 years ago and what's different? you could watch the two movies back to back and have a really grim laugh at how nothing has changed

Yeah I sometimes get annoyed at medieval stuff that's like "oh look at these backward ignorant savages, we're so much better then they are" but this is entirely "look at these backward ignorant savages, why hasn't anything changed?" You see it with Pierre's court and it's stated on campaign that knights can get away with anything and de Gris just thought that's all cool and normal and literally went to his death insisting he did nothing wrong. I also loved the little detail that in de Carrouge's story he's hacking up a lung coming back from campaign and in Maugerite's perspective he's totally fine

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Tangerine (2015) was filmed on an iphone 5. it looks pretty gritty but it fits the setting and it's still a pretty good looking movie for what it is

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the iphone films generally still have a big camera rig with all the attachments and w/e, clip-on lenses and professional sound equipment

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

As a picky movie-watcher, Licorice Pizza gets an 'A' in my book. Lighthearted fun.

If you liked Boogie Nights and/or Inherent Vice you'd probably enjoy

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol looking fwd to this discourse

i still need to see it tho but it's not playing here til xmas time ugh

https://twitter.com/thesolarcoffee/status/1469502599028170753

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7039860185707367686

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

josh04 posted:

the iphone films generally still have a big camera rig with all the attachments and w/e, clip-on lenses and professional sound equipment

you don’t need sound equipment you just have every actor ADR all their lines on the Blue Snowball USB Podcast Mic

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

indigi posted:

you don’t need sound equipment you just have every actor ADR all their lines on the Blue Snowball USB Podcast Mic

A modern spin on Italian filmmaking techniques

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

indigi posted:

discredited though it is by the association with podcasters and the inferior usb connector, it is still additional sound equipment

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol looking fwd to this discourse

i still need to see it tho but it's not playing here til xmas time ugh

https://twitter.com/thesolarcoffee/status/1469502599028170753

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7039860185707367686

someone show this lady Harold and Maude

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Serf posted:

Yea this was me, I believed everything until I realized it was going to be retold from each perspective. Also huge agree about Thelma and Louise, it still holds up and is relevant today.

Other small stuff like Damon telling everyone to shut up while he's being knighted, it just adds to his perception of being aggrieved at every turn similar to the sickness thing someone mentioned. He later uses his knight status to bludgeon and embarrass Adam Driver (before literally bludgeoning him). The film is effective at manipulating you w/ it's narrative.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

I also loved the little detail that in de Carrouge's story he's hacking up a lung coming back from campaign and in Maugerite's perspective he's totally fine

i missed that, good catch. i never rewatch movies but i feel this'll be one of 'em that i do

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i was looking for a scene between Arthur and Spencer on KOQ last night and I came upon an edit of the episode I was looking for where the uploader extracted each Arthur/Spence scene as an uninterrupted sequence and holy poo poo I'd have watched that show weekly.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
its not even a triggered thing, these kids are just morons but employ pseudo-academic language to sound intelligent. you have a dumb opinion sweaty

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i bought this at a drug store in Tempe in the spring of 2020.

prolly gonna watch this tonight.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i bought this at a drug store in Tempe in the spring of 2020.

prolly gonna watch this tonight.

Oh hell yeah, drug store / dollar store DVDs are one of my favorite sources of crazy nonsense

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just watched venom 2

The cgi of the symbiotes was well done, the run length was a mere 84 minutes. Otherwise it was pretty bad, do not recommend

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Judakel posted:

its not even a triggered thing, these kids are just morons but employ pseudo-academic language to sound intelligent. you have a dumb opinion sweaty

it's like thinking taxi driver is bad because the audience just wants to be travis bickle or some dumb poo poo

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

porfiria posted:

Glad Matt and Trey are doing well, and are very rich, and haven't been shot to death.

was there ever a serious issue those two turds were on the right side of except for the easy slam dunks ("gay people are human too" wow so deep and inspiring, oh and that time the moron cop shits on ayn rand)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Doctor Jeep posted:

was there ever a serious issue those two turds were on the right side of except for the easy slam dunks ("gay people are human too" wow so deep and inspiring, oh and that time the moron cop shits on ayn rand)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBcWWT39aJU

edit this post is ironic btw, this vid is just the stewart/colbert rally

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 08:24 on Dec 13, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

yea I remember as a kid seeing Gore Vidal going 'maybe this is a stupid idea actually and we shouldn't destroy two countries for nothing' and that was what got me into reading him, so at the very least he was in the mix.

But yea they picked easy targets like comics or shock guys like Maher who while not wrong about 'no the 9/11 dudes weren't cowards, you can hate them all you want but calling them cowards is stupid, we're the cowards bombing people' he obviously was relying on shock attention and all because no poo poo people are going to freak out about that, but there were plenty of actual anti-war academics at the beginning who got fairly mainstream treatment.

Only semi related but I'll never forget a Daily Show bit where Stewart showed clips of pro and anti war marches and for the pro war he picked some douchebag being all 'well now I don't like war and it's sad to think of but we gotta make HARD CHOICES' to nod solemnly over and say he makes a good point, and then someone from the anti war side saying the war was for profit and based on lies and he treated it like he was a stoned moron hippie who was lost or something. Absolute demon man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1vrO6iL0U

there's this scene from Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom where he brings on someone from the EPA to talk about climate change and the guy is just goes full-on doomer the whole time and John Newsroom can't salvage it and it just plays out as being morose and apocalyptic

your post made me think of it because none of what the guy said is really wrong, per se, but the show is heavily implying that this person is somehow not someone we should be taking seriously, and it's played-off as a sort of meta-gag-slash-commentary about how newsrooms can get caught like a deer-in-the-headlights by certain off-the-wall interviewees whose views they didn't get to properly vet, rather than actually engaging with the subject matter itself

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

edit ugh don't make me defend sorkin but the radio voiceover combined with the later scene itself just makes the news people look like a bunch of buffoons more concerned with ad time than anything else. all the scenes from newsroom i've ever seen are terrible and this one doesn't seem that bad

gradenko_2000 posted:

but the show is heavily implying that this person is somehow not someone we should be taking seriously
i don't think this is true. he's shown as stuffy but again the beginning voiceover is setting the tone

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 08:58 on Dec 13, 2021

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Doctor Jeep posted:

The n-word episode, I guess. Even if it was just an excuse for Trey to say it.

The Lord of the Rings parody still holds up and the games are good time wasters.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Doctor Jeep posted:

quote:

Although the Colorado State Supreme Court rules in Big Gay Al's favor and orders the Mountain Scout Elders to take him back and be put in stocks for three days so they can feel like outcasts, Al refuses, saying that while he appreciated what the boys have done for him, he feels "it isn't right to force them to think our way," and while they should be talked into changing their minds, he begs people not to cut their funding or support for the Scouts, adding that he loves the Scouts for the work they do and that they are a private organization.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Doctor Jeep posted:

Some libertarians have learned from the dunks and as a result they at least have the self-awareness to pretend they're too cool for Rand.

i say swears online posted:

edit ugh don't make me defend sorkin but the radio voiceover combined with the later scene itself just makes the news people look like a bunch of buffoons more concerned with ad time than anything else. all the scenes from newsroom i've ever seen are terrible and this one doesn't seem that bad

i don't think this is true. he's shown as stuffy but again the beginning voiceover is setting the tone

Think it's more likely to be handwringing over how "things are complicated, climate change is important but we need smart professionals to message it properly to the dumb masses without hysteria".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YaketySass posted:

Some libertarians have learned from the dunks and as a result they at least have the self-awareness to pretend they're too cool for Rand.

Think it's more likely to be handwringing over how "things are complicated, climate change is important but we need smart professionals to message it properly to the dumb masses without hysteria".

Liberals are deeply unserious people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Liberals are deeply unserious people.

Kenshiro (the invisible hand of the market) did the thing where their legs are walking them to hell and their brains are trying to cope, and we're all gonna die because of it.