Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

Been listening to a lot of Off Menu recently and surely this is a good thing because James Acaster leads me to believe that diabetes is a superpower.

A super powered body destroyer. Ruins nervs destroys your eyes, kidneys, liver, veins and damages your brain. And while it's doing all this you get some arsehole doctor say its all your fault. Sorry to get mad at your post but please done turn diabetes into a joke.

I'm mainly angry at how little the NHS trains so many of its clinicians about it and just puts out info on type 2 and that info being about how it's all the patients fault like smoking. So many of them poo poo on my partner for having type 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
May has diabetes that can send her into a coma, which in all fairness is worse than diabetes that does not, no matter what the label on it is, or how she got it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just wait til labour under Kenny goes into a coalition government with the Tories right after an election

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

learnincurve posted:

May has the bad kind of diabetes, so you can bet your rear end the airports would have immediately been shut and we would have gone into total lockdown.

Because a Tory's first instinct is to look after number 1.

I kinda got the impression that triggering article 50 was the first time May had really taken a gamble on something in her life.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Convex posted:

I kinda got the impression that triggering article 50 was the first time May had really taken a gamble on something in her life.

She was less qualified than Laura loving Roslin for her position so I tend to agree with you

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

learnincurve posted:

May has diabetes that can send her into a coma, which in all fairness is worse than diabetes that does not, no matter what the label on it is, or how she got it.

You're a good poster but please understand that you are talking out of your arse on this and I will subject everyone to an extensive effortpost on the subject if I need to

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

They can both send you into a coma for different reasons and they also both suck.

Type I is massively more difficult to manage though since it involves insulin. If you feed the beast regularly and well there's no reason you should run into problems. But if you're prone to making bad decisions, having altered mental states or sometimes just flat out incapable of handling the maths then it's gonna suuuuuck.

A HIV consultant once told me that if they had to have one or the other they would pick HIV every time. You're gonna be on drugs for the rest of your life either way but at least with HIV if you pop the pills every day you will be fine.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Let's cut the moralistic 'good/bad decisions' patter shall we.

Tbh, if you haven't worked out how to work your insulin around your drink and drugs and pizza huts you're doing it wrong, imho

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

farcry posted:

A super powered body destroyer. Ruins nervs destroys your eyes, kidneys, liver, veins and damages your brain. And while it's doing all this you get some arsehole doctor say its all your fault. Sorry to get mad at your post but please done turn diabetes into a joke.
My dad has had diabetes for as long as I can remember which clearly puts me and my siblings at risk, so I am legally allowed to joke about it as much as I like.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
There are more than 2 types of diabetes!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lungboy posted:

There are more than 2 types of diabetes!

Alzheimer's is now being called diabetes type 3. What is mays type? Type cheetah

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We had a brief power cut in Birmingham a few minutes ago. Anyone know what's going on?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

She was less qualified than Laura loving Roslin for her position so I tend to agree with you

Good reference, one that I would have only just got this week

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dabir posted:

We had a brief power cut in Birmingham a few minutes ago. Anyone know what's going on?

The Russians have invaded, it's WW3, hth

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Alctel posted:

My gut feeling is that British people generally are more classist than racist. Tories would be fine with a none-white PM as long as they wore a nice suit, went to the right schools, had an Eton accent and gave off 'sensible businessperson' vibes. Compared to America where large amounts of people lost their poo poo over Obama

I'm probably wrong though

I think this is super accurate. Plus "racists of color" are held in particular high esteem by the right.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

The Russians have invaded, it's WW3, hth

if it's not nuclear i don't mind that much tbh

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

jiggerypokery posted:

I think this is super accurate. Plus "racists of color" are held in particular high esteem by the right.

This is what's so interesting. They'll call him a "Paki" or whatever in private but as long as he's hard on immigration they will let him have popular legitimacy.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Tbh, if you haven't worked out how to work your insulin around your drink and drugs and pizza huts you're doing it wrong, imho
Diabetic friend of mine would hide drugs inside his glucose monitor, as it’s the one piece of kit he could be sure airport security wouldn’t casually tear to pieces

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Johnson addressing the nation at 8pm

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

smellmycheese posted:

Johnson addressing the nation at 8pm

Yes our feckless leader here to protect us from the onslaught of Tory scandals

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He's going to announce he's sending Liz Truss to personally invade Russia as a distraction from <waves hands at everything>

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Johnson is refusing to take questions.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hes going to complain that he can't afford another kid, so is raffling it off.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

happyhippy posted:

Hes going to complain that he can't afford another kid, so is raffling it off.

The bid reserve is one spine.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The bid reserve is one spine.

*Starmer quietly curses and closes his wallet*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dabir posted:

*Starmer quietly curses and closes his wallet*

I'm dying.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

serious gaylord posted:

Johnson is refusing to take questions.

I think it's pre-recorded.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Resign and leave raab in charge while saying he has to spend more time with his famil(ies)? Or lockdown 3, last stand ?

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Lungboy posted:

I think it's pre-recorded.

Yeah the BBC says it's going to be an update on the situation, but there will be no changes to the rules.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I have to assume he's going to be announcing a more robust lockdown because poo poo is *popping off*. I got pinged by the app (anyone remember that?) and even though I'm 13 days post-booster so probably about as immune as it's possible to get I thought it safest to book a walk-through PCR test, especially as I have a couple of in-person appointments next week. Surprisingly (and impressively) my local centre[1] had slots open at 5pm this evening, and there was an actual queue to get in - it moved quickly but I reckon they were seeing about 3 people a minute, which is a worrying rate for a Sunday night IMO.

We also now have at least 6 Premiership clubs with active cases in their playing and/or coaching staff, with Spurs having 7 first-teamers who tested positive, a *way* higher rate than we were seeing this time last year before they locked down (I'm just using them as a bellwether for a population that are very regularly tested, although knowing Prem players they all caught it at the same orgy). We *should* have gone to essential-journeys-only lockdown at the beginning of the month, and you have to assume he has some advanced notice that we've hosed it really, really badly here.

[1] A council office named for a communist trade union leader who led dozens of strikes in the docks - LBTH do love a bit of trolling with their naming of stuff.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 12, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

They haven't even passed Plan B yet, there's not going to be any new rules. It'll be just really really urging people to get boosters or they'll put THEIR christmas at risk or something.

Still a strong chance we'll have more restrictions announced in two weeks time starting Jan 1st though...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm guessing they'll drop booster age significantly but not much else.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Let's cut the moralistic 'good/bad decisions' patter shall we.

It's not a moralistic right/wrong, it's the reality of it as I am sure you're well aware.

Some people can barely get the concept of a basal bolus, or that a reading of <4 on a fingerprick is bad.

If you're smart enough to figure out how to manage your insulin between your weed, booze and cocaine hits then more power to you but not everyone has a PhD in diabetes.

It's a minority of patients on a diabetes ward who have genuinely difficult to control disease. Most of the time its difficult circumstances.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
LONDON BRIDGE IS DOWN

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: nvm

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 12, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Thought I'd turn the announcement on just in case they accidentally played the wrong tape and I'd get to see the piss tape, and caught the end of Strictly Come Dancing, meaning I've just been rickrolled by our state broadcaster.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Someone pointed this out to me just now. Someone wrapped the internal CCTV camera with plastic bags.

It's a curtain.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
That's just the terrible curtain

This stumbling bs is the good take btw

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

LONDON BRIDGE IS DOWN

Don't get hopes up for nothing

Adbot