Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol great work guys. Lets create an incentive for command to question whether defensive strikes are actually defensive. That's going to end well

Well, it's right there in the name. "Department of Defense."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm sorry for ever participating in this madness

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

I have this feeling a lot :smith:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Icon Of Sin posted:

I have this feeling a lot :smith:

I take comfort in never being particularly good at officering but getting paid the same as the hard chargers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Worst I ever did was sing out of tune and maybe showered a little too long, but my job facilitated so much.

holy poo poo

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I feel the same way, but I can find some limited cold comfort in the fact that because of me, people went home. Because of me, a small group of unknown numbers went home alive, and as whole as I could manage.

I was never mean for the sake of mean.

I never viewed force as my first option.

I never hurt or killed people that didn't push my decision tree left.

It doesn't absolve me of gently caress all, and it doesn't change the horror and moral injuries war gives away like ribbons at the county fair, but at least any blood on my hands came from being a god damned professional, and any lasting pain is because I took the hit. That's what a professional does.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
When the choice is "live and die in poverty the same way about 1/3 of my high school graduating class has already" or get the GI Bill, well, not really much of a choice. Anyone who wants to criticize me and others like me can pony up the ~$60k tuition that was the only thing that has allowed me to stay employed somewhere outside of meth labs or the local Dollar General in the shithole Pennsultucky area I grew up in. The few people from home that I grew up with that I still want talk to, and are still alive/out of jail, say on the regular things have not gotten better.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

When the choice is "live and die in poverty the same way about 1/3 of my high school graduating class has already" or get the GI Bill, well, not really much of a choice. Anyone who wants to criticize me and others like me can pony up the ~$60k tuition that was the only thing that has allowed me to stay employed somewhere outside of meth labs or the local Dollar General in the shithole Pennsultucky area I grew up in. The few people from home that I grew up with that I still want talk to, and are still alive/out of jail, say on the regular things have not gotten better.

My choices were pretty much military or heroin- I get that. The only people from my group of friends in my youth who escaped the Dundalk Doldrums were people who enlisted. My buddy John? He did it mostly smart- picked a job with civilian ties, clearance, and contractor positions. Did 3 or 4 years stationed in England, tooled around Europe on his free time. Got out with some hearing damage, and a high 5 figure contracting job he parlayed (along with that GI Bill) to a 6 figure position.

Meanwhile, I did the mostly dumb route. I tried to use the Infantry as a method of suicide, failed repeatedly, and got to be an assistant ride operator on Uncle Sam' Mesopotamian Misadventure, collected a bit of grenade glitter, TBI, and the inability to sleep without drugs. Individual experience may vary.

The Machine requires poverty and children. How else do you expect us to grind for Halliburton to clear another 40 billion next year- the rich people enlisting?

The funniest bit to me was having several Vietnam Vets, most with real time in the poo poo, tell me not to do it. I'm going to paraphrase one- "You are a stupid loving kid right now, and you want to fight. But you are smart enough that you will be propping up this bar at 30, instead of 60 like us. It hasn't changed. I can't talk you out, but I hope I can talk some sense." (Spoiler Alert- didn't take)

I'm not terribly conspiracy minded, but in the last few weeks I've a heard 2 or 3 versions of the government (in one version, pushed by DoD) purposely keeping people down, denying healthcare and education to ensure we always have cannon fodder. It fits. Same reason why the DoD doesn't want 'professional' soldiers- they want institutionalized soldiers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Institutionalization gets you an average product, investing in professionals raises the cost, and that's money that contractors could be bilking instead.

Also capitalism loves it some bodies. Elon was just tweeting last week about how people need to be having more kids.

I sincerely hope the next big announcement from spacex is the board of executives saying they've fired Elon off to Mars, but it'll just be something lame like trapping ourselves in with more satellites to mis-identify as UFOs when they burn into the atmosphere 30 years from now. And the optimism of being saved by an advanced alien society will slip even closer to the brink of extinction.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

bulletsponge13 posted:

My choices were pretty much military or heroin- I get that. The only people from my group of friends in my youth who escaped the Dundalk Doldrums were people who enlisted. My buddy John? He did it mostly smart- picked a job with civilian ties, clearance, and contractor positions. Did 3 or 4 years stationed in England, tooled around Europe on his free time. Got out with some hearing damage, and a high 5 figure contracting job he parlayed (along with that GI Bill) to a 6 figure position.

Meanwhile, I did the mostly dumb route. I tried to use the Infantry as a method of suicide, failed repeatedly, and got to be an assistant ride operator on Uncle Sam' Mesopotamian Misadventure, collected a bit of grenade glitter, TBI, and the inability to sleep without drugs. Individual experience may vary.

The Machine requires poverty and children. How else do you expect us to grind for Halliburton to clear another 40 billion next year- the rich people enlisting?

The funniest bit to me was having several Vietnam Vets, most with real time in the poo poo, tell me not to do it. I'm going to paraphrase one- "You are a stupid loving kid right now, and you want to fight. But you are smart enough that you will be propping up this bar at 30, instead of 60 like us. It hasn't changed. I can't talk you out, but I hope I can talk some sense." (Spoiler Alert- didn't take)

I'm not terribly conspiracy minded, but in the last few weeks I've a heard 2 or 3 versions of the government (in one version, pushed by DoD) purposely keeping people down, denying healthcare and education to ensure we always have cannon fodder. It fits. Same reason why the DoD doesn't want 'professional' soldiers- they want institutionalized soldiers.

I can say from a non-US perspective your story is really familiar, for various reasons I know a lot of ex-service people and it's a common story. In the UK, because I'm basically scum, I used to spend a lot of time sitting and drinking with our homeless - they're like (in my city) 90% ex-british army. Took in, spat out, broken in the head and on the streets. Nobody gives a poo poo. It's one of the reasons I hang around here.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bulletsponge13 posted:

The machine requires children, but its the middle class that are the backbone of recruiting. 20 plus years of post-9/11 pro-war/military propaganda has produced an absolutely incredible amount of people who are true believers in America and the military.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/andrewkirell/status/1470116872704118790?s=21

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

None of them thought "hey instead of debasing ourselves, why don't we all just lift the carpet and haul it off the ice and split everything even?"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestrategy posted:

None of them thought "hey instead of debasing ourselves, why don't we all just lift the carpet and haul it off the ice and split everything even?"

There's one in every office.
It's a reasonable assumption that 90% of teachers who were offered this "opportunity" told the principal or other administrator to shove it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What's that? You didn't like Squid Game because it was unrealistic social commentary?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Institutionalization gets you an average product, investing in professionals raises the cost, and that's money that contractors could be bilking instead.

Also capitalism loves it some bodies. Elon was just tweeting last week about how people need to be having more kids.

I sincerely hope the next big announcement from spacex is the board of executives saying they've fired Elon off to Mars, but it'll just be something lame like trapping ourselves in with more satellites to mis-identify as UFOs when they burn into the atmosphere 30 years from now. And the optimism of being saved by an advanced alien society will slip even closer to the brink of extinction.

Aliens used to visit earth but now they're all issued travel warnings in big red capital letters

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

What's that? You didn't like Squid Game because it was unrealistic social commentary?

Worse. They liked it because it was a commentary on communism

(a real take)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The only use humans would have for aliens is as an area denial weapon because wherever we are we will loving destroy as fast as possible

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

maffew buildings posted:

The only use humans would have for aliens is as an area denial weapon because wherever we are we will loving destroy as fast as possible

I think you meant it the other way around. We're the "black goo" that destroys worlds.

The ultimate biological weapon.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

bulletsponge13 posted:

the Dundalk Doldrums

But hey, at least those golden [poo poo] tits were pretty funny to look at sometimes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think you meant it the other way around. We're the "black goo" that destroys worlds.

The ultimate biological weapon.

Yeah that I can't do brain thoughts.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 12, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Untagged posted:

But hey, at least those golden [poo poo] tits were pretty funny to look at sometimes.

I don't know who owns them this year; 98 rock used to have an annual competition to see who had to claim it- Essex or Dundalk. Don't know if they still do.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The machine requires children, but its the middle class that are the backbone of recruiting. 20 plus years of post-9/11 pro-war/military propaganda has produced an absolutely incredible amount of people who are true believers in America and the military.

I never realized how efficient the Bush Propaganda was until the fall of AFG. Seeing people not only old enough, but smart enough and involved enough, claiming the Taliban were responsible for 9/11.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 13, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

1000 "funny" flash videos did more than dubya ever could

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's something else when both the air force bombers and senior CIA officials think you are too warcrime happy with your bombing strikes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PeterCat posted:

Well, it's right there in the name. "Department of Defense."

Everyone on both sides of the aisle should be happy to restore the name “Department of War”.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Platystemon posted:

Everyone on both sides of the aisle should be happy to restore the name “Department of War”.

"The War Department" was traditional.

Wasn't the DoD renamed the same year that 1984 came out? Or pretty close to it?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PeterCat posted:

"The War Department" was traditional.

Wasn't the DoD renamed the same year that 1984 came out? Or pretty close to it?

The year before, yes. War Department and Navy Department were merged.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Department of Peacetime Expenditures. DoPEs for short.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

War, Peace, I'm the Guy with the Gun Department

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Bubblegum Department has run into major suppy shortages and so we'll have to assign operations to its mission partner,

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
'Penis Drawing Department' doesn't have the same ring.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Russia be different

Russia explosion: Teen detonates device at Orthodox convent school

quote:

A Russian teenager has detonated an explosive device at an Orthodox school near a convent outside Moscow, injuring a number of people.

Russia's interior ministry says an 18-year-old man, a graduate of the school in Serpukhov, tried to blow himself up. He has reportedly survived.

The ministry says a 15-year-old is among the injured. Local media say as many as 12 people are hurt.

Russia has seen a rise in attacks on schools by teenagers in recent years.

Local media are reporting that the teenager who set off the explosives had survived and was in a critical condition in hospital. He has not been named.

Russian's Interfax news agency cited a source as saying the teen's animosity towards teachers and students at the school may have motivated the attack.

Another source told Tass news agency the former high school student was planning an attack during morning prayers, but his explosive device went off at the entrance to the monastery.

Prosecutors in the Moscow region have opened an attempted murder investigation - but the motive for the attack is yet to be officially confirmed.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

CommieGIR posted:

'Penis Drawing Department' doesn't have the same ring.

Department of Dongs

don’t even need to change the acronym

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Bubblegum Department has run into major suppy shortages and so we'll have to assign operations to its mission partner,

On the other hand, a department designed around using power armor and military equipment to combat boomers...

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Any changes to Retirees, Widows, or CRSC im the new NDAA?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1470408570588041216?t=2R0plwkOzGcNDz9uMEsK_g&s=19

https://twitter.com/JackMurphyRGR/status/1470162074311483394?t=OOECMdXmKzNOahq_T-s4Wg&s=19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Yes, but gas prices.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The strike cell article is important. In these forums, a lot of times you'll see former soldiers/marines/etc talking about how cops can pull poo poo they couldn't have as a member of the military. Individual cops might be able to pull individual misconduct, yes, but the machine built to enable dodgy targeting can have effects that reach farther than any individual mil member, save a truly dedicated murderer like Robert Bales, could ever achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Could someone please, PLEASE, copy and paste the strike cell article in here? I’m phone bound and can’t get around the pay-wall.

You’ll gain my eternal gratitude.