Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Brandfarlig posted:

Queen also says that the fountain was created today which could be done by Kris during the night, I guess. It's just as likely that someone created it when Noelle and Berdly were already in the room since why would their books be out otherwise? And why would they enter the dark world willingly if they opened the door and saw a void?

...Why wouldn't they enter the computer lab if it's dark? Berdly works there.

They probably wandered in looking for the light switch, basically identically to what happened with Kris and Susie in the closet. Usually people don't assume a dark room has magically transformed into an endless abyss of darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
well maybe YOU don't

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Classy Hydra posted:

They probably wandered in looking for the light switch, basically identically to what happened with Kris and Susie in the closet. Usually people don't assume a dark room has magically transformed into an endless abyss of darkness.

and then got their books out on the desk

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
some of kris's sprites are a pixel taller than others. Bigger Kris Theory cleanly explains all questions raised thus far

rko
Jul 12, 2017

A jargogle posted:

and then got their books out on the desk

Right. Much like Susie and Kris had apparently emptied most of the entire contents of the spare classroom’s cabinet while they were ostensibly in the Dark World, Berdly and Noelle apparently turned on all the computers representing their journey, including the laptop implied to be Queen, and were sitting around where it could be used.

At the very least, Susie and Kris absolutely traveled from the supply closet to the spare classroom while they were in the Dark World—I see no reason why Berdly and Noelle couldn’t take a seat and put down their books.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Classy Hydra posted:

Sure, but it's not just dark. Susie is kind of freaked out in chapter 1 by how odd the room looks.

It's a bit odd neither Noelle or Berdly said anything about falling down a void but that might come up in the next release.

rko posted:

At the very least, Susie and Kris absolutely traveled from the supply closet to the spare classroom while they were in the Dark World—I see no reason why Berdly and Noelle couldn’t take a seat and put down their books.

They could, but moving from one room to another is not the same thing as doing something organized in the same room. I'm fairly certain both Noelle and Berdly will have some thoughts about their adventure as soon as they pop back up in the story.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Classy Hydra posted:

Berdly is a Gamer and is used to using computers in pitch black conditions. Noelle is also a Secret Gamer who is the same way.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Brandfarlig posted:

Sure, but it's not just dark. Susie is kind of freaked out in chapter 1 by how odd the room looks.

It's a bit odd neither Noelle or Berdly said anything about falling down a void but that might come up in the next release.

Susie didn't say anything about falling into the Dark World until the next day either. It's an inherently absurd idea, especially when you wake up in a mundane setting with no evidence you just had a fantastical adventure, so it's easy to dismiss as a dream or whatever.

also the Advanced Darkness of the fountains is inherently scary, but the concept of something being more dark than usual also doesn't make any sense, so it's easy to dismiss it as, like, nerves. Susie still went into the closet. I can see Berdly and Noelle sort of noticing something is off about the computer room being a featureless black void without walls, but having no logical reason not to just walk in to a room they're super familiar with and just find the light switch. Neither of them would be willing to admit they're scared either.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Classy Hydra posted:

Susie didn't say anything about falling into the Dark World until the next day either. It's an inherently absurd idea, especially when you wake up in a mundane setting with no evidence you just had a fantastical adventure, so it's easy to dismiss as a dream or whatever.

also the Advanced Darkness of the fountains is inherently scary, but the concept of something being more dark than usual also doesn't make any sense, so it's easy to dismiss it as, like, nerves. Susie still went into the closet. I can see Berdly and Noelle sort of noticing something is off about the computer room being a featureless black void without walls, but having no logical reason not to just walk in to a room they're super familiar with and just find the light switch. Neither of them would be willing to admit they're scared either.

Of course, that's why I said it's likely to come up in a future chapter. After meeting 3 of their friends and having a shared "dream" I expect them to ask some questions. You'd at least check with said friends.

I get that the darkness wouldn't scare them away but I think it's a point for the theory that the fountain was created after they entered the room. If they fell down a void I think they'd be more likely to bring it up than if they just "fell asleep".

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
u idiots, birds and deer have good night vision they dont care if its dark

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Maybe the floor dropped out from under them too. Just like the supply room becoming too large, and Kris and Susie dropping when they were like 20 feet into it.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
My question is, if they were already in the room when the fountain was made, did they not notice who came in and made it? Was there another entrance? Was the person hiding?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

thechosenone posted:

My question is, if they were already in the room when the fountain was made, did they not notice who came in and made it? Was there another entrance? Was the person hiding?

The person was hiding in the closet.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
a large person even.....i think i know who the knight is

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe it...

The Knight was The Knight all along!!!

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Nebalebadingdong posted:

a large person even.....i think i know who the knight is

Asgore prefers “a lot to hug” on his bumble profile

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

thechosenone posted:

Creating a fountain can apparently be done quickly and if the door they're hiding behind isn't fully closed they have a good chance of being sneaky.

This does raise the question of how that person got out without being seen or without landing next to Noelle and Berdly.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

The knowledge thing might just be because Ralsei's Original-Flavor Dark World™ happens to be a dark, empty closet, as opposed to the classroom and library, which likely see a lot more traffic and use.
It is kind of interesting that the themed dark worlds seem to be liminal spaces - a classroom with no students, and a computer lab with no internet access. In contrast, the closet dark world is becoming less liminal as the game proceeds, since it serves its designed purpose as more things are stored inside it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't believe it...

The Knight was The Knight all along!!!
No, the Knight was Killerman!

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

Creating a fountain can apparently be done quickly and if the door they're hiding behind isn't fully closed they have a good chance of being sneaky.

This does raise the question of how that person got out without being seen or without landing next to Noelle and Berdly.

I figure that its easier to control where/how you land in the darkworld if you have some knowledge of what's going to happen/they could have been distracted or stunned. Its probably easier to explain than other stuff.

In other thoughts, did anyone else think that Kris was upset after the Spamton NEO fight because after fighting a weird floating puppet monster that Ralsei stepped out of bounds and just floated off the path just out of Susies line of sight? I don't see why they wouldn't have kept to the path otherwise, since it isn't like it would have looked bad to have them pass closer (seriously he goes way off the path and stays there, that has to be like him floating like a freaky ghost or something).

EDIT: Ultimately though having looked through the wiki it does seem like the issue is the fight that had just happened. It's kinda freaky that we end up dragging Kris around so much. is there a playthough where you can make choices and take actions that seem to bother them less?

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 10, 2021

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

thechosenone posted:

is there a playthough where you can make choices and take actions that seem to bother them less?

From what I understand the most Kris-friendly actions and choices you can do are show an interest in Susie, don't make Kris look bad in front of Susie, be nice to Noelle or at least don't hurt her, maintain an emotional and physical distance from Ralsei, don't make Kris talk to everyone, and show an interest in Susie

Also sniff markers and eat moss whenever you have the chance

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 10, 2021

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

zetamind2000 posted:

From what I understand the most Kris-friendly actions and choices you can do are show an interest in Susie, don't make Kris look bad in front of Susie, be nice to Noelle or at least don't hurt her, maintain an emotional and physical distance from Ralsei, don't make Kris talk to everyone, and show an interest in Susie

Also sniff markers and eat moss whenever you have the chance

Well I got the moss part down, though I was way too friendly with Ralsei (who is deffo starting to creep me out in a way I can't quite put my finger on...) and was trying to ship Susie and Noelle because it seemed so obvious.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

IUG posted:

Maybe the floor dropped out from under them too. Just like the supply room becoming too large, and Kris and Susie dropping when they were like 20 feet into it.

Yeah remember, it wasn't an instant drop like with the later Dark World transitions. The very first time Susie (and maybe Kris?) entered the Dark World, there was a bit of solid ground under them before it gave out.

So it's possible they didn't notice things being too odd just yet before being dropped down.

Though it's also likely they might've fallen asleep and the Dark World got created then. No concrete theories on what happened just yet, and there's plenty of room for counter theories.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I guess maybe the Kris-friendly playthrough is to skip the superbosses because that freaks them out, but I don’t think they hate talking to people. Like they get free hot choc at the diner and are obviously friends with Catti, and I can only imagine they enjoy hanging with Rudy because who doesn’t? Even Susie immediately warms up to the guy and she is terrified of adults. They’re also real intent on trying to inform Undyne of the dark worlds and I don’t know what’s up with that.

Like I’m sure you can make a list of people they don’t enjoy, but every time they’ve taken us out, they’ve voluntarily plopped us back in. Mostly I don’t think Deltarune is a game where we’re diegetetically made to make Kris suffer no matter what we do and the only considerate option is to not play the game; that’s not really Toby Fox’ style.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I think it's less that there's anyone in particular Kris dislikes (except maybe Pezzapants) and more that too much social interaction is exhausting. After a point, people will tell Kris that they look unwell, though I don't remember getting that myself. If it's a real thing I think the trigger is something more than "exhaust the dialogue with everyone in Hometown."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

thechosenone posted:

In other thoughts, did anyone else think that Kris was upset after the Spamton NEO fight because after fighting a weird floating puppet monster that Ralsei stepped out of bounds and just floated off the path just out of Susies line of sight? I don't see why they wouldn't have kept to the path otherwise, since it isn't like it would have looked bad to have them pass closer (seriously he goes way off the path and stays there, that has to be like him floating like a freaky ghost or something).

Everyone's learning things as the game goes on. Ralsei learned that forbidden technique from Lancer back in chapter 1, Susie forced him and her to learn how to Act in this one, Kris and Virovirokun explain ACTs to Noelle and Queen gives us a tutorial on making dark fountains of our own.

I think it's just a matter of making a game though. They could probably make everything into a sprawling wide field every room but with only one objective to aim toward why go through that much effort when a path is all you need?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Everyone's learning things as the game goes on. Ralsei learned that forbidden technique from Lancer back in chapter 1, Susie forced him and her to learn how to Act in this one, Kris and Virovirokun explain ACTs to Noelle and Queen gives us a tutorial on making dark fountains of our own.

I think it's just a matter of making a game though. They could probably make everything into a sprawling wide field every room but with only one objective to aim toward why go through that much effort when a path is all you need?

It would technically take less effort to make a featureless plain than a defined path, but yes a restricted path has less to detail. Still gives the impression of Ralsei floating, but that wasn't the issue. Just posting to make it known I saw this since for some reason I'm struggling oh wait its 12am and I'm tired from not having slept so much the last few nights either that's why good night.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I played through chapter 1 again to refresh my memory before playing chapter 2 and looked at a guide to see if I missed anything the first time. Okay so there’s this secret boss I didn’t fight before this will be fun right? Right??? RIGHT??

gently caress that guy and his nearly unavoidable attacks, I had to use all of my healing items including my cake :qq:

Is there anything important you can do on your way home from school that affects chapter 2?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I played through chapter 1 again to refresh my memory before playing chapter 2 and looked at a guide to see if I missed anything the first time. Okay so there’s this secret boss I didn’t fight before this will be fun right? Right??? RIGHT??

gently caress that guy and his nearly unavoidable attacks, I had to use all of my healing items including my cake :qq:

Is there anything important you can do on your way home from school that affects chapter 2?

idle by the lake until onionsan shows up

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
talk to onion-san Bootis

investigate asgore's fridge

bond w rudy and talk to noelle about susie afterwards

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Look on the bright side, at least it's not a three Jevil moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHcLi35oYH4

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Jevil is one of my favourite bosses ever, partially because of Pirouette, having a move that does something completely random that can be good or bad or just weird (I know it's determined by what turn it is don't be this person) is fun as hell in a fight all about chaos :allears:

Why yes I was that guy in XCOM 2 who solves all lost missions by blowing up everything in sight and mosh pitting my way through the map as any Advent goons helplessly failed in terror

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

jevil is the best dadjoke pun on "freecell"

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

kaleedity posted:

jevil is the best dadjoke pun on "freecell"

what's the pun? jevil is just jester + devil

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Not is name in parcticular, but Freecell is a type of Solitaire card game, and also describes Jevil's ideology.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Not is name in parcticular, but Freecell is a type of Solitaire card game, and also describes Jevil's ideology.

quote:

THEY LOST THE CHASE, AND LOCKED UP THEIR ENTIRE RACE, BUILDING A PRISON AROUND THE WHOLE WORLD. NOW I'M THE ONLY FREE ONE.

...mother FUCKER

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Robot Style posted:

OH. Lmao.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Robot Style posted:

Aw gently caress me. :doh:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

He can't keep getting away with it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It took me four battles to realize he says "I can do anything!" Because the joker is a wild card :cripes: he even says it before throwing all the suites at you