Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Fewer and fewer Iron Keep knights respawning until eventually there were none left was really unbelievably shame inducing, it really felt like the game was making fun of me

im going to keep killing them until they stop respawning because im having a bit of trouble with the smelter demon and i cant run past them every time i die without getting stabbed to death as im going through the fog door.

ive beaten ds1,3, and bloodborne but for some reason im finding the enemies harder in this one. on top of the sheer numbers alot of enemies have some instant anime teleport lunge attack that has zero telegraphing. its really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The alone knight lunge is stupid fast yeah. When making this game they were concerned that parrying had made Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls too easy for experienced players so in 2 they wanted to make some enemies who could basically attack you faster than you could parry them.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

:lol: smelter demon died from poison damage when it was about to kill me for the 10th time. not exactly a badass way to win but ill take it. those swipes were really hard to dodge.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Alright some of the shine is starting to wear off. Beat Last Giant and Pursuer (with the ballista :hellyeah:), but I’m starting to realize how much this game loves to throw tons and tons of enemies at you. I’ve come across several clown car monster closets where a small room will have 5-8 guys that all aggro instantly. Also the standard From game trick of hiding and enemy around a blind corner to sneak attack you, except in every other soulsborne game it’s like 1 enemy every so often and here it’s basically every blind corner and it’s 2-3 enemies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, I wish I could play with the original enemy placement instead of the SotFS one.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I've played it so much I can remember exactly where I need to stand to lure things out away from the main party. 2 is also the only souls where I will bother to equip a bow, gotta draw aggro. Don't wanna fight dogs and archers and swordsman and a goddamn Pursuer. Don't wanna fight 4 big undead with polearms and whips. Oh God so many royal swordsman and exploding mummy fucks!

I love this game.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

whoever decided to put 6 dudes that jump out and ambush you along with an invader on the bridge leading to the chariot boss should be destroyed with fully automatic grenade launchers.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Jump to the right after the bridge, watch the chasing mobs de-aggro and fall through the gaps in the bridge.

giZm fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 11, 2021

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You can lure each of those big undead jumping from their platforms 1 at a time. First time through though yeah you're gonna get owned.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Charles Bukowski posted:

You can lure each of those big undead jumping from their platforms 1 at a time. First time through though yeah you're gonna get owned.

i ended up sniping them with the crossbow to aggro them 1 by 1. i was extra mad cause i had no idea where i was after the boss cutscene and accidently rolled off a cliff :lol:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Steam is obviously a worthless piece of garbage as far as software goes, not unlike Amazon who's website is also in dire need of an overhaul worse than our government but does nothing about it because of its place in the market. But it still blows my mind right the gently caress away how hard it is for them to auto backup savegames in far too many titles. I cleared the main campaign prior to upgrading to W11 and I just loaded up to go back and start the DLC, but nothing is there. Nothing. I do have an old savegame on my NAS but I'm wagering its a full clear.

e: yep, 57 hours, level 180. Rocking forlorn armor and fume ultra greatsword +5 for some reason. I've learned so much since then. Went ahead and put my sign down outside BIK and just about helped them beat him but died at like ~30% remaining due to my slowness.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 11, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The "pro strat" with the Iron Keep run up to the Smelter Demon is to only lower the first side of the bridge, because then that caps out how many Alonne knights will heat seeker missile onto you in SotFS, but if you're playing it the first time you'd have no idea about this and doom yourself by doing what seems like the most sensible thing.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

The "pro strat" with the Iron Keep run up to the Smelter Demon is to only lower the first side of the bridge, because then that caps out how many Alonne knights will heat seeker missile onto you in SotFS, but if you're playing it the first time you'd have no idea about this and doom yourself by doing what seems like the most sensible thing.

The real pro strat consists in not bothering with the bridge at all and jumping to the right when you enter the bridge room. It's a tight jump but you can make it to the little platform. You can then either jump down and make a straight run for the gate (it's inconsistent if you get caught though) or use a bow to clear up a few mobs before jumping down.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ASenileAnimal posted:

:lol: smelter demon died from poison damage when it was about to kill me for the 10th time. not exactly a badass way to win but ill take it. those swipes were really hard to dodge.

if you thought that was bad, you're gonna haaaaaate his buddy when you run into him later

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ASenileAnimal posted:

whoever decided to put 6 dudes that jump out and ambush you along with an invader on the bridge leading to the chariot boss should be destroyed with fully automatic grenade launchers.

I hated having to deal with the Belmont family right before that part far more.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've learnt several things while spamming red eye orbs with the blue acolyte mod.

Firstly, anyone who's ground their soul level up to 838 and/or wearing full havel's ain't worth poo poo. But that's obvious from my DS3 experience.

Secondly, this mod isn't very good at picking up cheaters. I backstabbed this one guy like 5 times because they spent their infinite stamina on no-tracking shield pokes, hit them with scraps wakeups, and still couldn't kill them because they had infinite health.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, I wish I could play with the original enemy placement instead of the SotFS one.

Scholar only changed enemy density in like 3 specific areas. All the spots in Forest or Lost Bastille where you get ganked by lots of stuff at once are still there in vanilla.

Also they literally still sell original DS2 on PC so if you really want to experience it you still can.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 12, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there a good list of all the changes between the releases? I’ve enjoyed the game a lot so far, it’s interesting to think that I’m having a different experience than the first wave of gamers who played it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/scholar-of-the-first-sin

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

im at the dragon shrine how close am i to the end? ive been playing a rapier/shield guy with a crossbow as backup and i feel like ive been relying on the crossbow more and more because some of these enemies are miserable to fight in melee range.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ASenileAnimal posted:

im at the dragon shrine how close am i to the end? ive been playing a rapier/shield guy with a crossbow as backup and i feel like ive been relying on the crossbow more and more because some of these enemies are miserable to fight in melee range.

Very. Dragon Shrine is the last full area in the base game, from there you revisit a couple areas and then you’re done. Don’t forget to do the DLCs though

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

skasion posted:

Very. Dragon Shrine is the last full area in the base game, from there you revisit a couple areas and then you’re done. Don’t forget to do the DLCs though

just finished it! shoutout to the npc summons that got beaten to death by the last boss while i shot it with the crossbow. overall i enjoyed the game despite a few areas that felt like unfair bullshit. gonna try a caster character before i do the dlcs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ASenileAnimal posted:

After the Dragon Shrine the base game goes like this:

1. Use the item you get to visit the memories of a few BIG DEAD THINGS you might have seen hanging around/slowly transforming into other things. Get 4-5 giant souls. You can turn the non-hostile encounter at the end of the Dragon Shrine into a boss fight for a dragon soul, if you want, but it's an annoying fight.

2. Kill Vendrick (optional, but it unlocks extra things if you do this)

3. Revisit the Throne of Want

DS2 won't kick you into NG+ automatically, so at any point you can stop to go do the DLCs. They're collectively around another 30% of the game.

e- oops was sitting in the reply screen for too long

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ASenileAnimal posted:

just finished it! shoutout to the npc summons that got beaten to death by the last boss while i shot it with the crossbow. overall i enjoyed the game despite a few areas that felt like unfair bullshit. gonna try a caster character before i do the dlcs.

The DLCs are fantastic but they're, ah... not caster friendly. :(

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

goblin week posted:

The DLCs are fantastic but they're, ah... not caster friendly. :(

Meh, it's harder, but it's not the end of the world. Spells still have range and an endgame caster should be able to wield the moonlight greatsword (or respec for it, it's just 18 str/dex/int), infuse it with Enchanted and tear through stuff spellsword style. Or use a bow with poison arrows and pretend it's a ranged poison spell.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Alright I got stuck on Ruin Sentinels as a caster. Can’t quite do damage fast enough (turns out I had Great Soul Arrow but didn’t realize it, so I will have to try that). I did up my stats enough to use a short sword so I can to some melee damage to slower enemies and conserve spell uses against weaker enemies (soul arrow + slash instead of two arrows).

Switched to Heide’s Tower of Flame and beat Dragon Rider. Had fun pushing some of the enemies off of ledges and abusing their patch finding to get them to fall into the water. I know the water is basically just a pre-rendered video, but man the coast line in Majula and Heide’s is so pretty.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Summon for Ruin Sentinels, that’s a boring fight

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The bird's nest baits you into going through Lost Bastille too early, imo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bust Rodd posted:

Summon for Ruin Sentinels, that’s a boring fight

Yeah this! The shield person where the knights are kissing each other is really good. The spell caster summon in the jail helps too.

Remember: bosses don't scale in this game - so summon and wreck!!!

E: At least I don't think it matters. I did a few fights solo and with summons and the hp seemed the same.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Remember: bosses don't scale in this game - so summon and wreck!!!

The bosses might not get extra health, but you definitely do less damage when you summon.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I rushed the Santiers spear yesterday and holy smokes is it fun as hell. I'm still getting my stats where I want them. I understand I should use a raw infusion for the spear, should I go for min str and dex and branch out into dark magic? Just looking for a fun mobile build.

I'm only up to Earthen Peak so far.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you want to use raw santiers spear for the rest of the game, yeah, keep your str/dex at the min req. for the spear, then flesh out your HP, END, make sure your adp is high enough for 99 agi, and then you can branch into any kind of magic if you want, not much else to do besides hit the hp/end caps.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Update: Old “Dragonslayer” down ( lol why is there a dragon right outside this guys boss room? Between the Heide Knights, the Dragonslayer, and the dragon itself, everyone is sleeping on the job in this area). It’s not a bad fight, but there isn’t much to O&S if it’s just one of them. To bad Heide’s Tower of Flame is so short

Summoned some one super helpful for No Man’s Warf who basically gave me a guided tour of the area. Area is pretty cool but I might feel differently if I had to run through it in my own. Also nice that I finally found a sorcerer vendor and a pyromancy flame.

Went back and grabbed the fire long sword and upped my stats just enough to use it and then buffed it to +5 at McDuff’s. I was then able to beat Ruin Sentinels after summoning both a NPC and player phantom. I couldn’t quite get it with just the NPC, couldn’t do enough damage fast enough before the NPC kicked the bucket. I also got close solo but didn’t realize the basic lighting miracle only had a measles 3 casts and not exactly impressive damage. So I was desperately trying to get a lighting bolt out not realizing I was out of casts as I took a spinning Sentinel to the face.

Then unfroze Straid and bought some Hexes. Now it finally feels like the game is beginning now that I have access to a bunch of useful vendors. I do wish they just all moved to Majula, though.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I kind of like Old Dragonslayer. Yeah there isn't much to it, but that carries the idea that it's a washed out relic of the past.

No Man's wharf, just like the Gutter, really shines (figuratively and literally) if you bother lighting up the sconces as you make your way through. Not that it's needed if you know your way through, but it's pretty.

As for measly casts, remember that spells will have more casts with higher attunement, and many spells have multiple copies available, which you can slot to double up on charges. The standard Dark Orb in particular has a ridiculous amount of casts mid-late game.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Offensive lightning miracles I believe we're cruelly nerfed though, so I wouldn't rely on that too much? I didn't play 2 until Scholars was released so Lightning in general has always seemed meh to me. Maybe a mod has made it viable.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

Offensive lightning miracles I believe we're cruelly nerfed though, so I wouldn't rely on that too much? I didn't play 2 until Scholars was released so Lightning in general has always seemed meh to me. Maybe a mod has made it viable.

Lightning Spear and its variants are mostly a waste of spell slots, but Soul Appease and Heavenly Thunder are both good in places. Heavenly Thunder is good at dealing with large groups, and the fact that it strikes multiple times means that it can chew through large bosses like the Rotten fast. Soul Appease only works on a selection of enemies, but it absolutely nukes the things it does work on, allowing you to trivialize certain fights (Royal Rat Authority and Royal Rat Vanguard, especially).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My intention for my second playthrough is this video guide. Anything you folks would modify or add?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyGmKr_uWwY

Video is from this year so I assume it’s up to date.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theres no way that build feels strong compared to some of the others. Lightning spear and its variants are mediocre because of how few you get for the damage and speed, and this guide is showing off early game enemies/bosses being crushed by endgame stats to try appearing "overpowered." So unless you want to be munching on herbs just to do the same DPS as dark orb, youre better off looking at the many interesting miracle buffs instead and keeping great lightning spear as a ranged option rather than the main damage dealer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hexes are the OP spells in DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Following a build guide is cowardice