Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you are replacing your appliances and plan to use a lot of cast iron, make sure to get a heavy-duty dishwasher that can support all the weight

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CellBlock posted:

Induction does require potentially specialized cookware, but if you're already using cast iron (you said you like cooking, so maybe you are), then you're probably set.
Not necessarily. I was curious yesterday, and I took a magnet to my good nonstick stockpot. (T-Fal, we're not talking anything $$$$). Didn't stick. Before you decide on induction, hit all your pots with a magnet and see if you're willing to replace the ones that fail. I love cast iron, but there are a lot of pots in my kitchen that aren't.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Residency Evil posted:

Question about how best to meld two separate heating systems.

Our new house has two separate systems:
1) A radiant heating system with 3 zones, controlled via 3 separate Nest thermostats.
2) A 3 zone Mitsubishi minisplit system, controlled by separate Mitsubishi thermostats/a Kumo Cloud adapter.

My understanding is that the minisplit system should be used primarily for cooling and occasional "light" heating, but that for heavy duty heating, using the radiant heating system is preferable.

I haven't really paid attention to home automation stuff, but is this something that Homekit/Alexa/Google can help out with in some way?

I have no first-hand knowledge, but both my inspector and realtor recommended mini-split for heating in the home we're buying vs the electrical system it has.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pokie posted:

I have no first-hand knowledge, but both my inspector and realtor recommended mini-split for heating in the home we're buying vs the electrical system it has.

Ah, our inspector recommended using the radiating heating. Apparently minisplit systems become are less efficient when it gets really cold. I'm not sure of the details, but they just installed a brand new radiant heating system and a new minisplit, so seems like maybe using both at some point makes sense?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Depends on what's powering your radiant heating. Mini-splits lose efficiency as the outside gets colder, but I don't know at what point a heat pump becomes less efficient than resistive electric heating. But the radiant could also be fueled by gas, which is probably cheaper than electric at low temperatures, depending on your local energy and gas market.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FISHMANPET posted:

Depends on what's powering your radiant heating. Mini-splits lose efficiency as the outside gets colder, but I don't know at what point a heat pump becomes less efficient than resistive electric heating. But the radiant could also be fueled by gas, which is probably cheaper than electric at low temperatures, depending on your local energy and gas market.

Yup, this is radiant hot water heating with a gas water heater.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

The difference could have to do with our respective climates. I am in south WA and you are in CO or something, right?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, this is radiant hot water heating with a gas water heater.

Grab the model number off the inside and outside unit(s) of your minisplits and post em in the hvac thread. There is a cutover point. For the sake of argument let's say it's 0f where you will be more efficient (cheaper) to use the radiant over the heat pump. Gas probably moves that needle higher than if it was purely electric. If you are environmentally conscious about your gas usage you would err lower. (Assuming you have green energy for your electricity.)

If pure cost is the concern then you would need to know your cost per therm and kwh.

This can in theory all be automated through some number of devices.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Question about how best to meld two separate heating systems.

Our new house has two separate systems:
1) A radiant heating system with 3 zones, controlled via 3 separate Nest thermostats.
2) A 3 zone Mitsubishi minisplit system, controlled by separate Mitsubishi thermostats/a Kumo Cloud adapter.

My understanding is that the minisplit system should be used primarily for cooling and occasional "light" heating, but that for heavy duty heating, using the radiant heating system is preferable.

I haven't really paid attention to home automation stuff, but is this something that Homekit/Alexa/Google can help out with in some way?

I'd expect that you'd need to get things down to a single brand of system to really get auto switchover working effectively. It looks like (start around page 22) your Mitsubishi system might be able to do the cutover for you, but you'd need some extra modules and stuff.

I doubt the nest is really going to help you here, afaik it's pretty limited in any advanced sort of usage.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

devicenull posted:

I'd expect that you'd need to get things down to a single brand of system to really get auto switchover working effectively. It looks like (start around page 22) your Mitsubishi system might be able to do the cutover for you, but you'd need some extra modules and stuff.

I doubt the nest is really going to help you here, afaik it's pretty limited in any advanced sort of usage.

Yeah the Nest is just for heating, zero control over cooling. Apparently although it's technically possible to connect a Nest to a minisplit system, it's a terrible idea because you lose all of the advanced functionality that it offers.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Hadlock posted:

smoke detectors within 8 feet of where you sleep

Rather this than burn to death imo

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Hawkeye posted:

I’m sick and tired of my poo poo electric range from the PO and am going to buy an induction range. Is the consumer reports ratings a good guide here?

I like cooking so having a crap stove that takes 30 minutes to boil a pot of water and doesn’t hold a simmer well has got to me. I’m willing to wait for a back order if there is a key ‘this is the best’ kind of thing.

FWIW, lots of people seem to really like them https://www.vox.com/22744866/tiktok-food-star-gas-stoves-induction

You can also try one out cheaply by spending 1 or 2 hundred on a single burner you can plug into a 120v outlet. It won't be quite as beefy as one on a 240v circuit, but if that's powerful enough for you, you should be good to go.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Ah, our inspector recommended using the radiating heating. Apparently minisplit systems become are less efficient when it gets really cold. I'm not sure of the details, but they just installed a brand new radiant heating system and a new minisplit, so seems like maybe using both at some point makes sense?

When I was doing research into this, I remember seeing around 40 degrees was the cutoff for oil/gas to become more efficient than mini splits, but it does depend on your unit, and electricity/hearing fuel costs.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Struensee posted:

Rather this than burn to death imo

Yeah; if I recall correctly, Americurium pretty much only emits alpha particles, which can be blocked by a sheet of paper, the dead skin on the outside of your body, etc.

As long as you aren't trying to break the thing open like a demented otter to eat the insides, it's mostly harmless.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zarin posted:

As long as you aren't trying to break the thing open like a demented otter to eat the insides, it's mostly harmless.

Turns out it's so harmless ingestion is pretty much okay......but not advised. But yeah, this is not something to worry about.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

Turns out it's so harmless ingestion is pretty much okay......but not advised. But yeah, this is not something to worry about.

According to Wikipedia, it sounds like really the only place you don't wanna get it is in your balls or ovaries.

In an unusual turn of events, I . . . find myself leaving Wikipedia with more questions than answers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Uh yeah never ingest or inhale an alpha emitter. Not even a little bit. (Not intentionally anyway.) It's very bad for you in a way that a lot of other things aren't.

But I wouldn't worry about handling or sleeping with a ionizing smoke alarm, it's all in theory contained inside the unit.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
the Technology Connections youtube guy did an informative video about heat pumps that's a good overview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J52mDjZzto

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

it's all in theory contained inside the unit.

In theory? By it's basic design parameters it needs to be very well contained. It's further contained from mechanical damage by regulation.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We've now reached the point in this discussion where one of us is obligated to mention The Radioactive Boy Scout, followed by the ceremonial linking of the article:

https://harpers.org/archive/1998/11/the-radioactive-boy-scout/

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

We've now reached the point in this discussion where one of us is obligated to mention The Radioactive Boy Scout, followed by the ceremonial linking of the article:

Thank you for your service.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I feel seen

quote:

Science allowed him to distance himself from his parents, to create and destroy things, to break the rules, and to escape into something he was a success at, while sublimating a teenager’s sense of failure, anger, and embarrassment into some really big explosions.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Is there a thread or post about furniture brand recommendations somewhere? I've been browsing the interior design thread but it's more what it could look like rather than the details of individual pieces.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

RoyalScion posted:

Is there a thread or post about furniture brand recommendations somewhere? I've been browsing the interior design thread but it's more what it could look like rather than the details of individual pieces.

We ended up buying a bunch of West Elm stuff, the quality has all been absolute garbage; Ikea's high end Stockholm series blows it out of the water

Crate and Barrel, CB2 are also owned by Williams Sonoma, it seems to be at least moderate quality

But yeah west elm is gutter trash

Never stepped inside of restoration hardware but I think they're also owned by Williams Sonoma

Fun fact, each store has it's own store credit cards, points loyalty systems and they don't overlap at all

Herman Miller is great but very pricey

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I try to find used arhaus or Thomasville is ok new. I go to Menards for couches and wear items. I also have kids that destroy everything so.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Hadlock posted:

We ended up buying a bunch of West Elm stuff, the quality has all been absolute garbage; Ikea's high end Stockholm series blows it out of the water

Crate and Barrel, CB2 are also owned by Williams Sonoma, it seems to be at least moderate quality

But yeah west elm is gutter trash

Never stepped inside of restoration hardware but I think they're also owned by Williams Sonoma

Fun fact, each store has it's own store credit cards, points loyalty systems and they don't overlap at all

Herman Miller is great but very pricey

We've bought a couple pieces of West Elm furniture and the quality has been great - a dining table and chairs, and a coffee table. I don't love that they don't have reviews but the things we've bought have held up.

Oh and I don't think WS owns Crate and Barrel - they do own Pottery Barn.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Here's some nighmare fuel from the crappy construction thread:

kid sinister posted:

I don't think I've ever seen such bad water damage. https://v.redd.it/jdiax95tsw481

Click through, it's worth a watch and it's short.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I moved into this house about 3 years ago, and only lost power a couple times. Unfortunately, I've lost power for an extended amount of time a couple times in the last few months.

I don't know the first thing about generators, but I think this is a hookup for one to go directly into the electric system rather than a portable one? The plug goes directly into the fuse box.

Help me SA thread you're my only hope.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

RoyalScion posted:

We got a couch from room and board which is excellent and a media console from design within reach which is also great.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

I moved into this house about 3 years ago, and only lost power a couple times. Unfortunately, I've lost power for an extended amount of time a couple times in the last few months.

I don't know the first thing about generators, but I think this is a hookup for one to go directly into the electric system rather than a portable one? The plug goes directly into the fuse box.

Help me SA thread you're my only hope.

First off, I'm going to assume that since you've been in this house for three years that it's been established that plug is not live. Otherwise someone may have died already.

Second, nothing about what you pictured as it relates to the plug is anything close to code. Do not touch it until you've had an electrician out to install, at minimum, a generator lockout. Transfer switch preferable.

This whole setup reeks of weekend warrior dangerous hack poo poo. Don't do anything until you've had an electrician look at it it and keep everyone away from that plug.

Edit: to further clarify - I believe that what you've got here is a plug that had been wired into the panel directly via a double breaker. Might be the one at the very bottom. This is hideously dangerous both to you and to electrical workers - you, because there is nothing preventing that breaker from being turned on and energizing that plug and them trying to fix downed wires that are assumed not to be live. Google "generator backfeed" if you want to know more.

skybolt_1 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 12, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

skybolt_1 posted:

First off, I'm going to assume that since you've been in this house for three years that it's been established that plug is not live. Otherwise someone may have died already.

Second, nothing about what you pictured as it relates to the plug is anything close to code. Do not touch it until you've had an electrician out to install, at minimum, a generator lockout. Transfer switch preferable.

This whole setup reeks of weekend warrior dangerous hack poo poo. Don't do anything until you've had an electrician look at it it and keep everyone away from that plug.

Edit: to further clarify - I believe that what you've got here is a plug that had been wired into the panel directly via a double breaker. Might be the one at the very bottom. This is hideously dangerous both to you and to electrical workers - you, because there is nothing preventing that breaker from being turned on and energizing that plug and them trying to fix downed wires that are assumed not to be live. Google "generator backfeed" if you want to know more.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm trying to dig up my home inspection to see if there's anything about that in it, but it doesn't ring a bell. Appreciate the feedback!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

We've bought a couple pieces of West Elm furniture and the quality has been great - a dining table and chairs, and a coffee table. I don't love that they don't have reviews but the things we've bought have held up.

Oh and I don't think WS owns Crate and Barrel - they do own Pottery Barn.

Similar, we bought our bedroom dressers and nightstand there and the only issue is my fat cat scratched it jumping on top. A dresser isn't exactly a difficult piece of furniture but I do expect it to last the rest of my life at this point.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

For furniture in a fan of CB2 and CB, Design Within Reach and vintage MCM

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I have some Hancock and Moore couches (very nice), did a custom kitchen table from a local builder (pretty nice), a bedroom sets from one of those online sellers (article I think?, nice so far), and a smattering of ikea for areas that have limited lifetime due to abuse

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

twerking on the railroad posted:

FWIW, lots of people seem to really like them https://www.vox.com/22744866/tiktok-food-star-gas-stoves-induction

You can also try one out cheaply by spending 1 or 2 hundred on a single burner you can plug into a 120v outlet. It won't be quite as beefy as one on a 240v circuit, but if that's powerful enough for you, you should be good to go.

This is something worth considering. The biggest frustration is waiting for the current weak burner to get a pot of water boiling and then not be able to hold the boil when you drop anything in the water. Maybe getting one of those for now is a workaround.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Home ownership, 3 parts banal consumer choices, 2 parts deadly booby trap

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Furniture is hard to recommend because many manufacturers have multiple lines. Flexsteel for example has a well regarded line of couches, but another less expensive line that isn’t worth the price tag.

Here’s my advice for buying furniture

A) avoid national chains, especially ones publicly traded. Maybe a small regional company with a few locations is ok. We had a decent experience with Bob Mills furniture which is in OK and TX.

B) I don’t care for online furniture sellers at all for several reasons not worth getting into.

C) find a locally owned furniture store if possible. Customer service and selection is probably going to be better. I personally like to spend locally when I can.

D) understand good furniture is expensive. A good quality leather couch can easily run 5k to over 10k.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hadlock posted:

This is the "always retweet Tom Holland doing Umbrella" of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brq-exSvB7Q

RoyalScion posted:

Start one, please! Just start a furniture thread, then people can post their latest finds, argue about quality, and so on.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
We bought some West Elm dining chairs. They were fine for the price, but the construction was questionable. Like 3/4 had screws, and 1/4 had nails. Also one had some holes drilled in the wrong spot and filled by dowels and redrilled. Nothing visible but top quality either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had not seen that video, that's pretty rad

Guy Axlerod posted:

We bought some West Elm dining chairs. They were fine for the price, but the construction was questionable. Like 3/4 had screws, and 1/4 had nails. Also one had some holes drilled in the wrong spot and filled by dowels and redrilled. Nothing visible but top quality either.

My wife bought herself a "fancy office chair" for work from home, ordered it from west elm, standard 5 star base with telescoping gas piston. Chair was poorly attached to the steel base that mounts on top of the gas piston, the wrapping on the arms was already falling apart, and then the piston and the steel base didn't mount cleanly, and the piston up/down valve lever rattled when you sat in it. That went right back to the manufacturer. Other than putting the gas piston in the base and the chair on the piston there's no assembly, just poorly manufactured

West Elm mostly makes their furniture out of mango wood, they own their own plantations for the wood (it's :airquote: "sustainable" hardwood) but every piece of mango wood furniture we have from them has big knots in it, the only clear pieces they used were the top of the desk we got for me. Parts of my $900 west elm desk are already coming loose. We ordered a dresser from them with a glass top, the glass top was cut to the wrong size, had to be replaced. One of our bookshelves came with a 15 degree lean to one side (welded steel no less, can't even blame that on wood warping)

We're still waiting on our leather samples/swatches from west elm from last spring, that we ordered three times

We really like west elm's midcentury modern style, but want something that's double the quality but like, half the price of the really high end stuff, and is readily avalible out of a catalog. Not sure if that exists. I'm sure west elm was awesome 20 years ago but build quality is pretty bad.

TL;DR All the ikea furniture we have from 5+ moves ago, which is like a quarter the price, is still in amazing condition, the only reason why my wife or i want to get rid of it, is that it looks distinctly ikea, meanwhile our almost brand new west elm furniture is falling apart on delivery