Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
phuo: When people make the first post on a page they should go back and make it cool. If the previous page is full and they didn't want to be first they should have waited.

Now then...

edit phuo:

PhantomOfTheCopier has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Dec 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

phuo: When people make the first post on a page they should go back and make it cool. If the previous page is full and they didn't want to be first they should have waited.

Now then...

edit phuo:

You don't know where the page breaks are.

e: unless they've changed it to a fixed number

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I'm not going to bother translating this but I think you'll get the gist pretty easily:

Ein ritter sô gelêret was,
daz er an den buochen las,
swaz er dar an geschriben vant:
der was Hartman genant,
dienstman was er zOuwe.
er nam im manige schouwe
an mislîchen buochen:
dar an begunde er suochen,
ob er iht des vunde,
dâ mite er swære stunde
möhte senfter machen,
und von sô gewanten sachen,
daz gotes êren töhte
und dâ mite er sich möhte
gelieben den liuten.
nu beginnet er iu diuten
ein rede, die er geschriben vant.
dar umbe hât er sich genant,
daz er sîner arbeit,
die er dar an hât geleit
iht âne lôn belîbe,
und swer nâch sînem lîbe
sî hoere sagen oder lese,
daz er im bittende wese
der sêle heiles hin ze gote.
man giht, er sî sîn selbes bote
unde erloese sich dâ mite,
swer vür des andern schulde bite.

:hmmyes:

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I do want to thank Thetoughestbean for being a good straight person. The joke wouldn't have worked as well without them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Taking pride in being "sassy" isn't good. You're just being an rear end in a top hat.

That's a PHUO directed to one of my partner's (prolly former) friends not any of y'all but good god.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
see also: people who have no verbal filter but take pride in it because they're " just telling it like it is".

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

yeah I eat rear end posted:

see also: people who have no verbal filter but take pride in it because they're " just telling it like it is".

And at the same time have just the thinnest skin imaginable when anyone says anything about them.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Europeans aren't bad per se, they're just silly little people with silly little opinions spoken in their silly little languages

Like an entire continent of hummel figurines (except angry europe that is I think the farthest away from the US I don't know since I don't care to look at that part of a map)

I mean I dunno if this is ironic or not but, it's 2021, irony is dead, and you're like a handful more posts away from being ignored, for the sheer insufferable Americocentric vibes sloughing off your persona

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You don't know where the page breaks are.

e: unless they've changed it to a fixed number

Posts per page are 40 or less, and Pretty Much Nobody goes lower than 40 afaik, because for whatever reason people want to see more posts, not less. Even though the best posting strat is clearly one post per page??

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ignoring users is dumb

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

jokes on u that u haven't ignored me yet, everyone else has :,)

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Noticing who's posting is a waste of brain power. Just read post content.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the venn diagram of people who use ignore and people who say they use ignore is a circle, and they are usually the people who start the most poo poo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I would never ignore a poster, because if I did I would never know if they were conspiring against me.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

alexandriao posted:

I mean I dunno if this is ironic or not but, it's 2021, irony is dead, and you're like a handful more posts away from being ignored, for the sheer insufferable Americocentric vibes sloughing off your persona

PHUO: I'd much prefer jocular americocentric vibes over twee euro/queeb dipshit vibes any day of the week

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Ignoring users is dumb

it's for Pussies

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you only ignore after loudly announcing who you are ignoring, is it brave or cowardly posting?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Brave, because you’re admitting you’re weak and that take courage.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

America is just the outsourced defence function of Europe

like, sure build some more fancy UFO aerospace bullshit while your people die in squalor at 50 working 14 hours a day

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Dec 13, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

PHUO: I'd much prefer jocular americocentric vibes over twee euro/queeb dipshit vibes any day of the week

mm.

https://twitter.com/AnnieTodd96/status/1469835556691587076?t=wbR_aPVALRDfoVWO223qHg&s=19

yeah... this checks out.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

alexandriao posted:

Okay :)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Taking pride in being "sassy" isn't good. You're just being an rear end in a top hat.

That's a PHUO directed to one of my partner's (prolly former) friends not any of y'all but good god.

I know exactly what you're talking about. If your whole persona depends heavily on others being too polite to tell you off or worse, you are a lovely person

Oh and also how affronted these people act when anyone does speak up about it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Y-you better cut it out, buddy. Or else I'll be the only one not reading your posts.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I do not like the the honorific “Doctor.” I don’t think any amount of education so put you apart from the rest of the public

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
People with Ph.D.'s who use the title (like e.g. putting Ph.D. or Dr. in their email signature) are obnoxious

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Sort of related--kind of like celebrities, medical doctors are constantly surrounded by people who s their d all of the time, and like celebrities or really anybody else put in that situation, as a result they develop inflated opinions of themselves, their abilities, their intelligence, etc.

People say the same thing about computer programmers/software engineers/IT people (see the character Boris in the movie GoldenEye), but those people have managers who tell them 'no, you can't do that' all of the time, which works to humble them.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 13:16 on Dec 14, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gaius Marius posted:

Ignoring users is dumb

It's useful in good megathreads that feature one or two annoying posters

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

thetoughestbean posted:

I do not like the the honorific “Doctor.” I don’t think any amount of education so put you apart from the rest of the public

Which medical school did you fail to get into?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sweevo posted:

Which medical school did you fail to get into?

None of them? I never wanted a doctorate

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If you don't live in a situation in which someone can be home all the time, don't get a dog. Sorry if you like dogs, but life isn't fair and you just don't get to have a dog.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's insanely hosed up that people still sing the Carson Brown line in Walking in a Winter Wonderland. Most people who hear that song don't know who Carson Brown is, and the majority of people who do know only know because they looked up who the gently caress the Carson Brown guy in the song was. I demand that we change the line, and rerecord the song, and no one ever again has to sing or hear the Carson Brown line ever again. But I also demand that the new line we use is also an instantly dated cultural reference that people won't get a decade from now.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Isn't it Parson Brown?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

It's insanely hosed up that people still sing the Carson Brown line in Walking in a Winter Wonderland. Most people who hear that song don't know who Carson Brown is, and the majority of people who do know only know because they looked up who the gently caress the Carson Brown guy in the song was. I demand that we change the line, and rerecord the song, and no one ever again has to sing or hear the Carson Brown line ever again. But I also demand that the new line we use is also an instantly dated cultural reference that people won't get a decade from now.

But the line is "Parson Brown" and it's not a real person? As far as I can tell, "Carson Brown" isn't the name of anyone famous either. What are you talking about?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tiggum posted:

But the line is "Parson Brown" and it's not a real person? As far as I can tell, "Carson Brown" isn't the name of anyone famous either. What are you talking about?

Yeah, you google it and it turns out it's an ancient slang term for a member of a religion that barely exists anymore. You're just making my argument stronger.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Protestantism is (unfortunately) still very much around.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Carson Brown would make a pretty decent username though. Especially with a snowman av.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Byzantine posted:

Protestantism is (unfortunately) still very much around.

How many Anglicans do you know?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Devout anglicans and episcopalians are far and away the most pleasant devout christians.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

How many Anglicans do you know?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglicanism posted:

It is one of the largest branches of Christianity, with around 110 million adherents worldwide as of 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
me, age ~10, hearing winter wonderland: *lightbulb* the narrator asks for Parson Brown to marry them, so he must be a priest. Brown is a generic name so Parson is probably a nickname or title for priest.

you, age ~40, hearing winter wonderland: anglicans aren't real and they can't hurt me