Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Download code! It's SIouxsie and the Banshee's The Scream at redeem.thesoundofvinyl.com

U7ACE928J

Drop a line if you've grabbed it please!

Snagged this, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

JehovahsWetness posted:

Pretty sure this thread has at least one city pop dude in here, so just wanted to post this ridiculous wall at a shop I was in this week.

full size: https://i.imgur.com/yiNlQL3.jpg

Where is this and is that House OST crazy expensive?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
The crosley rig was someone needle dropping cheap 7"s, there's an actual decent listening station just out of frame. The place is tiny, though, so it's all crammed together.

It's Face Records in Brooklyn, very boutique prices (_especially_ on city pop woooo) but dude moves that poo poo out the door. Prices on other genres are high but the selection is pretty drat cool and the owner there was crazy nice. I bought a pricey private jazz record with a single decent mark on it and he insisted we sit and listen to that spot and seemed honestly apologetic about it having a problem. (Which was clearly described on the pricing / info label.) Off the top of my head from what I remember: House ~$120, Magical ~$900/950, Plastic Love ~$300, Amy ~$800. :homebrew:

He's sold multiples of all this stuff locally at these kind of prices, the price premium for good records in NYC is very real. He's also doing record arbitrage back to the shops in Tokyo, too. So I think locals do a lot of trade with him for stuff that sells decently in JP but isn't worth individual buyers shipping (rap 12"s, etc). I hit like 8 record stores in NYC and bought a decent stack of records but Face was probably my favorite just because of how niche the selection and business plan was.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Oh yeah I know Face Records, the markup on their city pop stuff is absolutely crazy, even for already inflated prices. If I remember correctly they're based out of Japan originally so that's how they get stuff in such volume.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

screaden posted:

Yeah that's the one, good song but the album is really boring and not at all worth it

Good to know, as I just quasi committed that mistake with LCD Soundsystem's This is Happening. Drunk Girls is a great song and of course the single from it, but the rest of the songs aren't quite jelling with me. At least it was only $12 of CD and not vinyl. Album wise the self title was great (I've had it since 2005 or whatever), Sound of Silver is okay, but I don't know if I should bother to complete the studio albums with American Dream or not. Or just find a not expensive copy of Live at Madison Square Garden idk this band confuses me sometimes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

The crosley rig was someone needle dropping cheap 7"s, there's an actual decent listening station just out of frame. The place is tiny, though, so it's all crammed together.

It's Face Records in Brooklyn, very boutique prices (_especially_ on city pop woooo) but dude moves that poo poo out the door. Prices on other genres are high but the selection is pretty drat cool and the owner there was crazy nice. I bought a pricey private jazz record with a single decent mark on it and he insisted we sit and listen to that spot and seemed honestly apologetic about it having a problem. (Which was clearly described on the pricing / info label.) Off the top of my head from what I remember: House ~$120, Magical ~$900/950, Plastic Love ~$300, Amy ~$800. :homebrew:

He's sold multiples of all this stuff locally at these kind of prices, the price premium for good records in NYC is very real. He's also doing record arbitrage back to the shops in Tokyo, too. So I think locals do a lot of trade with him for stuff that sells decently in JP but isn't worth individual buyers shipping (rap 12"s, etc). I hit like 8 record stores in NYC and bought a decent stack of records but Face was probably my favorite just because of how niche the selection and business plan was.

I love that they sell for premium prices like that and the turntable to preview records is a loving Crosley.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

I love that they sell for premium prices like that and the turntable to preview records is a loving Crosley.

It's not, though? Someone was just needle dropping the dollar bin 7"s. There's a 1200 with headphones right next to that shelf, plus the system behind the counter.

Prices are through the roof, I get it, but it's a good shop, grading is solid etc.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

It's not, though? Someone was just needle dropping the dollar bin 7"s. There's a 1200 with headphones right next to that shelf, plus the system behind the counter.

Prices are through the roof, I get it, but it's a good shop, grading is solid etc.

That is the less funny option.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
THERE'S NO FUN IN RECORDS!

The funniest bit of the store is that's it's like 80% JP artists and imports, but there's just normal-rear end boring US store stock mixed in the "genre" sections. Except it's all marked up in the same kind of way and probably would have just been like a $5 - $10 whatever pricing in a normal store because you've got a box full of em in the back kind of thing. Dudes came in and happily bought a White Glove priced US Elton John - S/T while I was there. :shrug:

I would like to see what they're shipping back to Japan. It also looks like they're shipping jazz/soul/funk rares in from JP that are languishing over there or something because the number of high dollar US stuff just in the New Arrivals was kinda nuts. I didn't even really bother looking at the Rock sections cause I was in a hurry.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone had issues recently with Discogs Android app logging you our whenever you use it? I feel like this started about a week ago, but feels like drat near every time I open the app on my phone, I'm logged out and have to log back in. Never used to do this.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone had issues recently with Discogs Android app logging you our whenever you use it? I feel like this started about a week ago, but feels like drat near every time I open the app on my phone, I'm logged out and have to log back in. Never used to do this.

I get that on the iOS app as well. Every time I open it I have to login with 2FA.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dont even bother with the app unless I'm having a hell of a time finding a record that has a barcode. Just stick with the site on mobile.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

THERE'S NO FUN IN RECORDS!

The funniest bit of the store is that's it's like 80% JP artists and imports, but there's just normal-rear end boring US store stock mixed in the "genre" sections. Except it's all marked up in the same kind of way and probably would have just been like a $5 - $10 whatever pricing in a normal store because you've got a box full of em in the back kind of thing. Dudes came in and happily bought a White Glove priced US Elton John - S/T while I was there. :shrug:

I would like to see what they're shipping back to Japan. It also looks like they're shipping jazz/soul/funk rares in from JP that are languishing over there or something because the number of high dollar US stuff just in the New Arrivals was kinda nuts. I didn't even really bother looking at the Rock sections cause I was in a hurry.

It was obviously a white hot stamper.

McCoy Pauley posted:

The discogs app is absolute dogshit and if I ever want to access discogs from my phone I just use chrome and go to the website. The interface on the app is a total mess and a whole bunch of the regular features and information you find on the website is inaccessible.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

JehovahsWetness posted:

Pretty sure this thread has at least one city pop dude in here, so just wanted to post this ridiculous wall at a shop I was in this week.

how much is Paraiso? its one of my favorite records and I would love to score an original someday. I don't see it listed for sale on Discogs.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Based on what i know of that place, probably $1,200

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it costs two first born children and a mule.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If you have to ask you can't afford it.

::snorts cocaine laced with Pope John Paul II's bones::

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXlj2MUOzOj/?utm_medium=copy_link

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone have any idea how long backorders take to fill from Mofi? Few days, weeks, months?

screaden posted:

Yeah that's the one, good song but the album is really boring and not at all worth it

There's also a 2021 repressing for $30 that is much cheaper than whatever $hundreds people are charing for the original, and as you've pointed out, largely boring album. You can also just get the single for $20 because let's face it, that's what we're all really after.

Love Trip up top is an altogether better album in my opinion.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 18, 2021

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

My longest preorder ever finally came in. I opted for the cheaper and more practical to ever listen to Disco Elysium soundtrack option.

And today I went to my local shop and stuck to the new release bin and spent $11 on these. Second copy of Midnight Express, looking forward to playing with them on my tables. Also got a cookie for donating some items to the local YWCA branch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't think Face was always super expensive for city pop, just reacted to the market. I went there a few years ago and just picked up a random thing for <$20 to satisfy my urge. It's a cool store for sure.

A decent overview for those who've not been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvhnKtfLhOg

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Are Japanese pressings really all that special or is it all hype? I have a few here and there and they sound good but I've never been blown away or anything.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sheep posted:

Anyone have any idea how long backorders take to fill from Mofi? Few days, weeks, months?

mofi is loving baffling to me

looking at the vinyl section of their website right now, there is exactly one thing you can buy, and you can't actually buy it, you can just preorder it (a new(?) pressing of ELO's Eldorado)

everything else is

sold out
awaiting repress
out of stock

which somehow all mean different things

or coming soon

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Finally got Jethro Tull's "Stormwatch" today from my local place. :dance:

Sheep posted:

Love Trip up top is an altogether better album in my opinion.

:yeah: I love Love Trip.

CaptainBeefart posted:

And today I went to my local shop and stuck to the new release bin and spent $11 on these. Second copy of Midnight Express, looking forward to playing with them on my tables. Also got a cookie for donating some items to the local YWCA branch.

Miriam Makeba is fantastic! Nice find.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Are Japanese pressings really all that special or is it all hype? I have a few here and there and they sound good but I've never been blown away or anything.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say nah. The only time I buy Japanese stuff is if it's Japan only music or it happens to be something cheaper/more available than US or European copies. Japan may get some bonus tracks or things that weren't released here, but I think that kind of exclusivity occurs in all countries. This is also why idgaf about obi strips: if it's there, neat, but I'm not gonna pass up a cool record because it's gone.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

Miriam Makeba is fantastic! Nice find.

I enjoyed side a last night, her vocal style is really fun. I'm surprised I've never heard of her before.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

CPL593H posted:

In my experience no. Japanese pressing are almost always tinny sounding and lack low end mastering.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

They’re usually sought after for because the Japanese just flat out have a different style for their mastering process that ends up with a record being a bit more even handed and nuanced as a final product than their American or European counterparts. Especially in regards to rock and Jazz you start seeing some differences in their audio quality. I’ve got a few American/Japanese pressings of Talking Heads records and there is a qualitative difference between the two when I’ve done A/B tests on them.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CaptainBeefart posted:

I enjoyed side a last night, her vocal style is really fun. I'm surprised I've never heard of her before.

I've been meaning to grab this...

https://miriammakeba.bandcamp.com/album/keep-me-in-mind-remastered

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

They’re usually sought after for because the Japanese just flat out have a different style for their mastering process that ends up with a record being a bit more even handed and nuanced as a final product than their American or European counterparts. Especially in regards to rock and Jazz you start seeing some differences in their audio quality. I’ve got a few American/Japanese pressings of Talking Heads records and there is a qualitative difference between the two when I’ve done A/B tests on them.

This could just be down to individual pressings rather than country of origin. I'm thinking a big part of the reason why people freak out about Japanese pressings is because the early MoFi reissues were pressed in Japan and the literature on them had a bunch of fancypants buzzwords about how the process was different.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The first musical guest to be in stereo on SNL

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

Finally got Jethro Tull's "Stormwatch" today from my local place. :dance:

Yay! Yeah, a couple records from their sort of mid career stand out to me a wee bit, this and heavy horses especially for me.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I have this cd that looks like it might have a record on one side? I can't tell and don't want to risk my stylus to find out. Anyone know anything about it?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

How's your head hand?

jiffypop45 posted:

I have this cd that looks like it might have a record on one side? I can't tell and don't want to risk my stylus to find out. Anyone know anything about it?

Looks like it was some weird gimmick-y thing from back in ~2010 or so, possibly mostly with electronica artists?
https://www.wired.com/2010/06/music-released-on-double-sided-cdvinyl-hybrid/
https://boingboing.net/2010/06/16/cd-on-one-side-vinyl.html

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

jiffypop45 posted:

I've bought CD-Rs with a fake vinyl side to them before, not sure id try it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/e3works-vinyl-cd-r-50-disc-spindle

Yeah that's exactly what this is, there were a whole bunch of them from different companies. It's just a gimmick.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

My partner's Christmas gift is arriving a little late, but he's still excited. :allears:

He has a massive nostalgia spot for this game; I've never played it but that Apple Market theme is a BOP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ldcIXS-MHo

Slap some distortion and crowd noises on this, and we've got a new mallsoft hit!

petit choux posted:

Yay! Yeah, a couple records from their sort of mid career stand out to me a wee bit, this and heavy horses especially for me.

Dark Ages is my favorite off Stormwatch so far, but I'm going to go back and listen when I'm slightly more high and slightly less drunk than I was on Saturday night.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

JehovahsWetness posted:

My wallet would not have survived if I found myself in there.

Anyway, finally managed to pick this up for a price I was willing to pay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Got the new Robert Plant/Alison Krauss album. It's a double.