Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

S.J. posted:

real poo poo?

no idea what you mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There is a ton of nuance and detail here, as well as a massive bucket of non-trivial problems to solve, but the solution to this is that your out-of-game infra shouldn't be self hosted. You push those pieces to AWS et al. It is bonus complex in that such a transition will take years and if such a change were to happen in time for 7.0, you'd probably have to start talking 6 months ago.

Regardless, we are talking about a game who's queue system can't handle packet loss, so...

Lmao amazon couldn’t even keep the servers for their own shithole MMO for assholes running, in what world do you live that they could possibly in a million years be able to handle the Endwalker surge

vhweltall
Jun 14, 2007
Saying “I’m having a bad experience with this game” is not at all the same as saying “this developer is bad, and should be ashamed of themselves.”

You can talk about silicon shortages and data center “blah blah blah” until you’re blue in the face, but the fact of our poor experience remains.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

vhweltall posted:

Saying “I’m having a bad experience with this game” is not at all the same as saying “this developer is bad, and should be ashamed of themselves.”

You can talk about silicon shortages and data center “blah blah blah” until you’re blue in the face, but the fact of our poor experience remains.

There are people saying exactly that though????

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

when are we going to get an Endwalker queue gang tag

vhweltall
Jun 14, 2007

Arist posted:

Emotions are running high. The game is great, but the game-experience is piss-poor.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I finished up to the first dungeon.

They have some serious chutzpah making Fandaniel's real identity Amon.

A boss from a raid years ago.

And not even the MAIN boss.

AND NOT EVEN FROM THE LAST RAID.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

vhweltall posted:

Emotions are running high. The game is great, but the game-experience is piss-poor.

go tell them to calm down then

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Arist posted:

Maybe a few here but that's it? Unless you're talking twitter, like of course don't listen to any idiots there.

I hit 87 yesterday, can't get in today and that's fine, but at least I can understand why people get annoyed at the 2002 while they wait and lose position.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nodosaur posted:

How much time did Koji and Ishikawa spend reading the "Emet is Amon" theories and laughing their asses off?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm number 3,777 in queue right now, so let me be clear: this situation absolutely loving sucks. But, like, come on. There's just no reasonable way for the devteam to have either meaningfully mitigated or even properly anticipated the scale of the login problems.

vhweltall
Jun 14, 2007

S.J. posted:

go tell them to calm down then

I dunno, I say things about my significant other that aren’t true when I’m pissed off. It’s still a valid exercise.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

"hey this poo poo sucks, I wish I could play :(" is fine

trash like this:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It is completely stunning to me that the community is erupting over the state of the servers. If this were WoW - if there were 3+ hour queues where the client can't even keep itself open, there would be riots. I'm so sick of having to babysit the client while in a loving queue. The fact that this wasn't fixed in a day demonstrates a kind of technical incompetence that I cannot even fathom for an operation this large.

is dumb as gently caress

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

How much time did Koji and Ishikawa spend reading the "Emet is Amon" theories and laughing their asses off?

Those were a thing?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Arist posted:

I'm number 3,777 in queue right now, so let me be clear: this situation absolutely loving sucks. But, like, come on. There's just no reasonable way for the devteam to have either meaningfully mitigated or even properly anticipated the scale of the login problems.

Agreed. But please promise to post to post when you get down to like 500 after 3 hours and you lose position and go back to the 4k queue

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also: all the elephant people are absolutely delightful

S.J.
May 19, 2008

vhweltall posted:

I dunno, I say things about my significant other that aren’t true when I’m pissed off. It’s still a valid exercise.

maybe you should calm down then idk

Nodosaur posted:

also: all the elephant people are absolutely delightful

10000%

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nodosaur posted:

I recommend playing that raid sometime while you're going through the MSQ

vhweltall posted:

uh what

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

"hey this poo poo sucks, I wish I could play :(" is fine

trash like this:

is dumb as gently caress

yeah that guy needs to be shunned, unironic

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nodosaur posted:

Those were a thing?

They sure were.

vhweltall
Jun 14, 2007

S.J. posted:

maybe you should calm down then idk

10000%

I’m sure they will once people stop calling them stupid.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Honestly I think I've probably fought Amon at least every other week just from alliance roulettes for like... a long time now.

e: maybe not quite that often but still

ee:

vhweltall posted:

I’m sure they will once people stop calling them stupid.

Doubtful but also lol

S.J. fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 13, 2021

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You literally have to starting from 5.3's release.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arist posted:

The 2002 issue seems like it's on them tbh. The second rate infrastructure the game is built on has been an onrunning joke in the community for years, you can't brush that aside now it's causing an acute problem

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

They sure were.

weird people fixated on precisely that one boss then

BUT APPARENTLY SO DID THE WRITERS, JUST ELSEWHERE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That boss is pretty iconic in the series history

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arist posted:

Oh absolutely, but at the same time there really should be something in place to hold your spot if you crash. A lot of other games do it, and they already have a flag that says that the character experienced an unexpected logoff.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

multijoe posted:

The 2002 issue seems like it's on them tbh. The second rate infrastructure the game is built on has been an onrunning joke in the community for years, you can't brush that aside now it's causing an acute problem

Has it, though? The last time I had any significant backend issues pre-Endwalker was during the huge initial Asmongold surge, since I had the misfortune of being on Aether, and the last time I had before that was loving Stormblood.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I finished all of the DoW/DoM ShB relics before Endwalker dropped.

But delaying the DoH/DoL ShB relics until Endwalker dropped is paying off now that I can Trained Eye all but the last step!

Mwuhahahahahaha!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nodosaur posted:

weird people fixated on precisely that one boss then

BUT APPARENTLY SO DID THE WRITERS, JUST ELSEWHERE

Well, he's kind of the lynchpin of the whole raid series, weirdly. The backstory is that he's the one who decided to revive Xande, and perfected the cloning technology to do so. Plus he has a flair for the dramatic like Emet, using the same snap animation for some of his attacks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh absolutely, but at the same time there really should be something in place to hold your spot if you crash. A lot of other games do it, and they already have a flag that says that the character experienced an unexpected logoff.
It does, you have about 15 minutes in my experience to get back in queue.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Begemot posted:

Well, he's kind of the lynchpin of the whole raid series, weirdly. The backstory is that he's the one who decided to revive Xande, and perfected the cloning technology to do so. Plus he has a flair for the dramatic like Emet, using the same snap animation for some of his attacks.

Point taken.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Those were a thing?

Oh yeah, in here and elsewhere. There wasn’t anything in particular in the game to actually support it, but ”Emet was Amon” and “Emet was Xande” were fairly popular fan theories. The truth is so much better though. I do wonder how much time Yoship and crew spent laughing at all of our dumbass theories leading up to EW.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

homeless snail posted:

It does, you have about 15 minutes in my experience to get back in queue.

If you crash during the queue yes it saves your spot. It doesnt give you priority if you crash while in game which is what I'm talking about.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ImpAtom posted:

AWS literally went down this week.

The best part is that due to this, there was a very real chance that all of the character data for every server on New World's east coast data center was just permanently gone. It seems like they've been able to recover it from a backup, but lol.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

wizardofloneliness posted:

Oh yeah, in here and elsewhere. There wasn’t anything in particular in the game to actually support it, but ”Emet was Amon” and “Emet was Xande” were fairly popular fan theories. The truth is so much better though. I do wonder how much time Yoship and crew spent laughing at all of our dumbass theories leading up to EW.

Makes me wonder if Fandaniel being Amon was them trying to intentionally subvert things.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Waffleman_ posted:

The best part is that due to this, there was a very real chance that all of the character data for every server on New World's east coast data center was just permanently gone. It seems like they've been able to recover it from a backup, but lol.

What in the world

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh yeah, people were not able to get their characters!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Whenever things seem dire in FFXIV remember: you could always be playing New World instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also

Fandaniel: Okay I left my clone in Syrcus Tower.
Emet: Wh
Emet: Why did you make him giant