Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Don't worry candle factory victims - help is surely on the way

What a terrible society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SpaceCadetBob posted:

wow thats loving horrifying. this thing get the ef5 rating officially yet?
No, it will take some time before they can determine that. I know the NWS investigators were on the ground the morning after the tornadoes.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NWSPaducah/status/1469706542341632002?s=20

https://twitter.com/NWSPaducah/status/1469716917292191744?s=20

https://twitter.com/NWSPaducah/status/1469839019743793154?s=20

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
"Please be patient with us," like are people being that nuts about wanting the rating? What difference does it make, it's not like it's around anymore. Sit back and go with a rating of "it hosed poo poo up" folks.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

"Please be patient with us," like are people being that nuts about wanting the rating? What difference does it make, it's not like it's around anymore. Sit back and go with a rating of "it hosed poo poo up" folks.

yea there were people on Twitter screaming about both how long it took to get the rating & claiming that it somehow is offensive to the families to not know what the rating is or to rate it lower than it truly is (???)

governors briefing today was that there were 40 rescues from that factory and they aren’t expecting to find more survivors. shits hosed

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

Amateur weather nerds are among the more insane internet subcultures.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

"why haven't you done 250 miles worth of damage assessment already" I shout at the bird site

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

shirts and skins posted:

It's directed at the media as well, who basically want to know what the damage rating is in real time.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

OK baizuo posted:

Found a before/after pic of that candle factory

Goddamn

Spend less on candle factories

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Simple solution, rebuild the candle factory onsite at the prison so that prison guards can make sure those inmates stick to their workstations instead of slacking off and helping rescue people when the building collapses again

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

yea there were people on Twitter screaming about both how long it took to get the rating & claiming that it somehow is offensive to the families to not know what the rating is or to rate it lower than it truly is (???)

governors briefing today was that there were 40 rescues from that factory and they aren’t expecting to find more survivors. shits hosed

the only proof of god's love in 2021 is when he kills us with the most extreme version of his most extreme phenomena

would you drat them all with a mere EF4 rating, or by suggesting there was anything we could have done to prevent or mitigate the outcome?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

SirPablo posted:

It's directed at the media as well, who basically want to know what the damage rating is in real time.

Minute-by-minute media updates have hosed with peoples' brains.

Fetlife Kuli
Dec 8, 2021

The world moves on a marten's lips

Omnicarus posted:

Storm chasers crave that EF5 rating so they can attach their brand to a notorious tornado and increase the market value of any footage they may have gotten. It also makes them feel tough and masculine, that they've stared down the roughest nature could throw down and come through unscathed.

This, predictably, leads to a lot of whining at the Weather Service when the tornado they've hyped up as the among themselves as the strongest, worst tornado ever isn't backed up by the reality on the ground.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Fetlife Kuli posted:

Storm chasers crave that EF5 rating so they can attach their brand to a notorious tornado and increase the market value of any footage they may have gotten. It also makes them feel tough and masculine, that they've stared down the roughest nature could throw down and come through unscathed.

This, predictably, leads to a lot of whining at the Weather Service when the tornado they've hyped up as the among themselves as the strongest, worst tornado ever isn't backed up by the reality on the ground.

Trainspotters can be loving weird but it's wild to see a group obsessed with numbers over a disaster that kills people.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Trainspotters can be loving weird but it's wild to see a group obsessed with numbers over a disaster that kills people.

Is it human nature that whatever impacts me has the be the biggest/worst ever? I'd blame media, too. Hype is a helluva drug.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The US is just going to be gradually destroyed by worsening weather because we are incapable of responding to disaster or repairing infrastructure or anything outside of profit chasing

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Spend less on candle factories

lol

also :smith:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Omnicarus posted:

somehow worse than train people

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
For the last few weeks I've been decompressing by watching youtube videos of people reviewing capsule cabins on Japanese ferries and eating vending machine food.

As soon as I watched a single video of the tornado's aftermath youtube's been flooding my recommendations with videos of the 2011 Tōhoku tsunami

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

BOGO LOAD posted:

For the last few weeks I've been decompressing by watching youtube videos of people reviewing capsule cabins on Japanese ferries and eating vending machine food.

As soon as I watched a single video of the tornado's aftermath youtube's been flooding my recommendations with videos of the 2011 Tōhoku tsunami

you have to carefully curate your youtube watch history like a bonzai tree. trim anything that isnt your vision from your watch history. I only want my recommended list to be the certain type of lovely electronic music I like so I make sure to open schadenfreude/political/weather videos in an anonymous browser tab or to delete them from my watch history right away

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Good idea. I should just start from scratch and make sure to watch nothing but videos of Italo Disco and Belgian New Beat.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

BOGO LOAD posted:

me too, that channel's really chill and dude loves his Japanese Curry which I can relate to

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

you have to carefully curate your youtube watch history like a bonzai tree. trim anything that isnt your vision from your watch history. I only want my recommended list to be the certain type of lovely electronic music I like so I make sure to open schadenfreude/political/weather videos in an anonymous browser tab or to delete them from my watch history right away

watching any Bill Burr YouTube video nukes my recommendations harder than anything else I watch on YouTube. I will not stop, but perhaps I should clean up my watch history

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUxbwYcbses&t=167s

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

The drama from the self appointed storm chasers that descended on Louisiana during Ida was absurd

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

MY HOUSE IS GONE

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Real bonsai trees have gone extinct because there's no longer any winter dormancy period

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

apparently this guy nuked his online presence, but this is your average online amateur weather fan

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DesertIslandHermit posted:

now I'm imagining this dude, but with an E5 tossing a trailer home by

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0C7Lz-qG0

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"why haven't you done 250 miles worth of damage assessment already" I shout at the bird site

https://www.weather.gov/oun/efscale
this is the scale they use, theres "degree of damage" indicators and they need to find damage consistent with a degree of damage for an EF5 tornado. this means that a tornado, however violent that only touches grass will never be anything other than ef0

so heres the fun problem with this tornado, lets take a look at the degrees of damage for a "tilt up wall" warehouse or a "metal building system" warehouse:
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/23.html
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/21.html

they're basically the same but heres the tilt up warehouse one:

EF5 damage starts at 200 mph winds. completely destroying the amazon warehouse and the factory is EF4 damage.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

MY HOUSE IS GONE

maybe a 'nado ate your baby

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Does the official rating factor into anything like how much relief is guaranteed by insurance or government agencies? This may be a dumb question and I'm sorry if so.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Atrocious Joe posted:

The drama from the self appointed storm chasers that descended on Louisiana during Ida was absurd

sir do not disparage Jeff in this thread

but no seriously that ChicagoMWeather guy's ongoing meltdown and grifting was hilarious

Fetlife Kuli
Dec 8, 2021

The world moves on a marten's lips

my cat is norris posted:

Does the official rating factor into anything like how much relief is guaranteed by insurance or government agencies? This may be a dumb question and I'm sorry if so.

Not really, it's more a matter of record-keeping and understanding risk/best practices going forward.

Insurance companies can be sketchy tho. They might deny coverage based on what a storm is called. I remember with Sandy the National Hurricane Center officially continued to call it a hurricane right up to landfall, but right before landfall 'downgraded' it to an extratropical cyclone. Their reasoning was that this allowed them to keep issuing advisories (once extratropical the Weather Prediction Center would have had to take over) and continue using their equipment for data collection. They also didn't want people to think that because it wasn't a hurricane anymore, it was less dangerous.

Unofficially, another reason was that a lot of home insurance policies in the northeast cover damage from nor'easters, but don't cover hurricane damage. So partly it was making sure the applied terminology didn't gently caress over homeowners.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

my cat is norris posted:

Yea not as far as I know.l I'd say the main purposes are for future research and documentation of significant events. All of the storm reports NWS offices generate eventually end up in StormData.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/stormevents/

The other poster's above comment is true for things like "the hurricane didn't destroy your house, the hurricane fueled storm surge did. That's flood damage and since you didn't have flood insurance lol"

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
it wasn't the 232 mph wind from the tornado, it was the semi-truck that removed your house from its foundation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fetlife Kuli posted:

Not really, it's more a matter of record-keeping and understanding risk/best practices going forward.

Insurance companies can be sketchy tho. They might deny coverage based on what a storm is called. I remember with Sandy the National Hurricane Center officially continued to call it a hurricane right up to landfall, but right before landfall 'downgraded' it to an extratropical cyclone.

I enjoyed watching all the newspapers call it “Hurricane Sandy” and issue corrections that it was now “Superstorm Sandy” or similar.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks both for the response. Makes sense! :tipshat:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

it wasn't the 232 mph wind from the tornado, it was the semi-truck that removed your house from its foundation

Dying WITH 2*4 impalement not OF a tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
[Government issues warning of impending tornado, says "seek shelter immediately!"]

They can't tell me what to do!

[dies in tornado]