Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I love my Fellow Stagg EKG, but it is expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The copper one is gorgeous, I might splurge :ohdear: gonna sit on it for a day.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
I read a lot of mixed reviews about some of the kettles recommended above and ended up going with this one. I've been using it for several months and have no complaints.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My bonavita was a workhorse up until an unfortunate incident involving gravity and the floor, then it was like an aging basketball player giving it one last season even though time caught up to him. The replacement kettle I got last Christmas has been great and had no issues.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gunder posted:

I love my Fellow Stagg EKG, but it is expensive.

Also have one in black and I love it, very useful for getting warm water for baking as well

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I got the Bonavita variable temp and it’s a little slow to heat up but it was also only $50 so very worth it

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It doesn't say it's an 8oz. bag until you get to the shopping cart but..........Free shipping! :newlol:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MetaJew posted:

I tried to do a little searching in this thread, but does anyone in hear on a Vario or Vario-W and have they attempted to do the "hyperalignment"? I have a Vario-W with steel burrs and I notice with my pour-overs that there always seems like a good amount of fines at the top of the brew bed. I never used the ceramic burrs that came with it-- so I don't know if the steel burrs generate significantly fewer fines than the ceramics, but it makes me think that the lower burr may be out of alignment due to the drive belt or whatever else it is that people say online.

I've read through some of the Home Barista threads on the subject but I haven't found a really good tutorial and I don't want to gently caress my grinder up if I screw it up somehow.

Any goons in here align their burrs?

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

Any goons in here align their burrs?

The 40 page thread on the home barista forums makes it feel a wee bit intimidating, but I’d love to do it. I just haven’t seen a foolproof guide yet. I even just got my Vario back from a repair and they were kind enough to upgrade me to the metal chamber as part of the refurbishment, so I’m quite primed to do it…

There might be a bit more attention coming to this mod soon, with Baratza releasing the Vario+.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

The 40 page thread on the home barista forums makes it feel a wee bit intimidating, but I’d love to do it. I just haven’t seen a foolproof guide yet. I even just got my Vario back from a repair and they were kind enough to upgrade me to the metal chamber as part of the refurbishment, so I’m quite primed to do it…

There might be a bit more attention coming to this mod soon, with Baratza releasing the Vario+.

That metal grind chamber seems like a nice upgrade but I'm not sure how I would "know" if I would benefit from it. My Vario-W just has the plastic chamber as far as I'm aware-- but I do think it's producing way too many fines. The top of the bed always looks muddy while if you scoop off that layer, the grinds look mostly uniform and a little coarser underneath.

Yeah, there was one specific comment that said the "easier" way to align it involved loosening the belt drive, i think, and then just clamping everything together with some woodworking clamps, and then tightening it all back up. I'm still very disappointed at the lack of a step-by-step guide. I guess I've been spoiled by car forums and people that are more mechanically inclined than coffee snobs.

Here's the specific post:
https://www.home-barista.com/grinders/alicorn-achieving-precision-alignment-with-baratza-forte-vario-t59857-270.html#p776891

Fake edit: Scrolling through the thread a little more, I see people attempting that process but there still doesn't seem to be a definite answer, and retensioning the belt doesn't seem fun.

With all that said I've been generally satisfied with the flavor of my pour overs, so I'm just a little more curious about if I can improve on the grind quality. I am really thinking about buying myself the Cafelat Robot soon (after looking at comparisons between it and the Flair 58), so getting the grinder dialed in to hopefully grind for espresso would be nice.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We’ve been thinking of getting some of those coffee grinder cleaning beans. Basically you grind a batch of those to clean your electric grinder and then finish up with old, unwanted beans to wash out the residue. Do these things actually work?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Vegetable posted:

We’ve been thinking of getting some of those coffee grinder cleaning beans. Basically you grind a batch of those to clean your electric grinder and then finish up with old, unwanted beans to wash out the residue. Do these things actually work?

I use some occasionally, but when I do, I also pull out my upper burr and try to brush everything clean. I then use a wooden tooth pick to try and pick out any grounds that have gotten packed into any crevices.

The cleaning "beans" claim that they will absorb old coffee oils and odors so I don't think they can hurt. You do need to have some extra coffee beans lying around to run through your grinder after you run the cleaning beans to make sure you get out any leftover grinds flushed out.

I do think the next few brews taste a lot better after cleaning the grinder, so I don't think the cleaning product can hurt at all.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

MetaJew posted:

The top of the bed always looks muddy while if you scoop off that layer, the grinds look mostly uniform and a little coarser underneath.

How does your coffee taste?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I use the Grindz ones regularly (once a month) and they clean out pretty well. They pull out a ton of residual crap and I spend less time cleaning out tiny corners because of them. So they’re not going to clean it perfectly, but they get you most of the way there. They’re also GF and taste like nothing, so you don’t have to clean out the little white dust they leave behind. My grinders work nicely after I use them.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you find yourself with no other option, here's a ranking of 30 TJ coffees https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/best-trader-joes-coffee

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've bought a bunch of different "small lot" single origins from Trader Joe's and they all taste slightly burnt. They are $9 for 12oz so a lot cheaper than a specialty coffee store, but still, why does it have to be burnt.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I've bought a bunch of different "small lot" single origins from Trader Joe's and they all taste slightly burnt. They are $9 for 12oz so a lot cheaper than a specialty coffee store, but still, why does it have to be burnt.

Because Starbucks. That’s why.

Seriously, Folgers and Maxwell House have just been replaced by a similarly off flavor filled burnt coffee wave. I’d actually prefer to go back to big cans of robusta. At least there you can just add milk and sugar and it’s mediocrity is expected.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Yeah, definitely! Espresso's capacity to completely change as a drink from even the smallest procedural tweaks is unlike anything else, it really is kind of amazing.
I'll try storing the failed shots for later, too, good idea. I think if I skim off most of the crema it might store pretty well.

just to follow up (before I forget) 20g in, 50 out at an even higher (!!) grind setting got me a very drinkable shot in 32s. Not fully dialed in yet, but way way more promising than anything I was pulling before. Thank you, everyone, for your advice!

Now I just have to deal with a week of airport and hotel coffee before I can get home and keep working at it :)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Looking for some advice. So I've go it an unmodded Gaggia Classic and an Iberitel MC2 grinder. So generally it's all dialed in fine for normal Espresso, except when I use our decafe beans the extraction is too slow, soggy puck etc so the grind is well off. Adjusting the grind on the MC2 is quite annoying generally when it's so out.

Does anyone have any recommendations for either things I could do, like different baskets or something, or better grinders for on demand grinding.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Ok coffee goons, question time:

I've been using my $40 Mr. Coffee drip machine for awhile now and surprisingly it makes a good cup of joe. But aesthetically it's not the most beautiful thing in our kitchen. With the holidays coming up I was thinking about asking my parents for a new drip coffee maker because it's the kind of gift I'd never buy for myself.

Anyhow, I've been reading a lot of coffee reviews online and it seems like it comes down to one word: cheap. People seem to complain that every brand that used to be good (Braun, Bonavita, Bunn, etc) have replaced all their formerly quality metal pieces with cheap plastic pieces that break, leak, or foul the coffee taste. Many people say at this point there's no substantial build quality difference between a $40 Mr. Coffee machine and a $150 Braun.

Because it's a gift, I'm not going to ask my parents to buy me some $500 coffee maker (not that they would anyway.) Are there any decent drip coffee makers in the market in the $75-$150 range? And before you suggest, yes, I already have a Chemex and a moka pot. I like both and use them from time to time, but sometimes I'm lazy and just want to throw in some grounds hit a button. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xarthor posted:

Because it's a gift, I'm not going to ask my parents to buy me some $500 coffee maker (not that they would anyway.) Are there any decent drip coffee makers in the market in the $75-$150 range? And before you suggest, yes, I already have a Chemex and a moka pot. I like both and use them from time to time, but sometimes I'm lazy and just want to throw in some grounds hit a button. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mandatory hoffmann link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8eYs2vxT-8

i have the oxo 9 cup one and it's quite solid but a little above that range at ~$200, as are i think most in this category. it's definitely a lot better than cheapo mr. coffee type things though, gets hotter, maintains temperature better during brewing, will do a nice bloom, has good water dispersion, etc.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Xarthor posted:

Ok coffee goons, question time:

I've been using my $40 Mr. Coffee drip machine for awhile now and surprisingly it makes a good cup of joe. But aesthetically it's not the most beautiful thing in our kitchen. With the holidays coming up I was thinking about asking my parents for a new drip coffee maker because it's the kind of gift I'd never buy for myself.

Anyhow, I've been reading a lot of coffee reviews online and it seems like it comes down to one word: cheap. People seem to complain that every brand that used to be good (Braun, Bonavita, Bunn, etc) have replaced all their formerly quality metal pieces with cheap plastic pieces that break, leak, or foul the coffee taste. Many people say at this point there's no substantial build quality difference between a $40 Mr. Coffee machine and a $150 Braun.

Have your parents give you a gift card and then spend the rest of the way to a Technivorm or Breville.

If you’re prepared to spend a hypothetical $150 in holiday money value on a coffee machine then you may as well push it to $300 and get the best there is.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

eke out posted:

mandatory hoffmann link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8eYs2vxT-8

i have the oxo 9 cup one and it's quite solid but a little above that range at ~$200, as are i think most in this category. it's definitely a lot better than cheapo mr. coffee type things though, gets hotter, maintains temperature better during brewing, will do a nice bloom, has good water dispersion, etc.

I also love my 9 cup. They go for $160-200 depending.

Currently the 8 cup (considered very similar) is $175 on Amazon.

OXO Brew 8 Cup Coffee Maker, Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9G93WK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JK4VZD6ZX9CE372QRAPK

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
In the market for a new drip machine myself, is the Breville so much less robust than the Technivorm that I shouldn't consider it? I want to brew 6 cups into a thermal carafe on a timer and out of those I can get one at a time of two of them with the Dutch machine, but I suppose I could go with the 6 cup option heater Technivorm if it's that incredible.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Whomst among us haven't done weird dehydration experiments with espresso from the "only pay shipping" coffee beans, as an attempt to make coffee roasted nutz?

Very sharp. Will test it out tomorrow!

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Are we freebasing coffee now?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

You need to smoke that :eng101:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dead Nerve posted:

b r i p e

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hello coffee thread. we have a bunch of whole beans that were gifted us, and I've been wanting to get a domestic grinder for a bit now. I'm torn between the wilfa uniform and the fellow ode. I know james hoffman strongly advices the wilfa over the ode due to different reasons, but I know I'm not really experienced enough to notice or taste any differences there might be. the price difference isn't really an issue to us, and we live in norway where both are equally available

I do vastly prefer the aesthetic of the ode plus its smaller footprint over the wilfa, and something tells me I should probably take his strong preference for wilfa with a grain of salt since his business is in cooperation with them?

as a complete novice (last time I used a grinder it was like 12 years ago, with one of those very lovely bladed ones) which would you recommend? I'm planning on using it with a v60, aeropress and french press

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ulvir posted:

hello coffee thread. we have a bunch of whole beans that were gifted us, and I've been wanting to get a domestic grinder for a bit now. I'm torn between the wilfa uniform and the fellow ode. I know james hoffman strongly advices the wilfa over the ode due to different reasons, but I know I'm not really experienced enough to notice or taste any differences there might be. the price difference isn't really an issue to us, and we live in norway where both are equally available

I do vastly prefer the aesthetic of the ode plus its smaller footprint over the wilfa, and something tells me I should probably take his strong preference for wilfa with a grain of salt since his business is in cooperation with them?

as a complete novice (last time I used a grinder it was like 12 years ago, with one of those very lovely bladed ones) which would you recommend? I'm planning on using it with a v60, aeropress and french press

iirc that comparison video was before they released their newer burr set that lets it go a little finer and therefore fixed a main problem hoffmann had?

i know lots of folks that have Odes, it's a solidly good grinder for filter coffee, you probably won't be disappointed especially if you like the aesthetics and small profile

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

ulvir posted:

I do vastly prefer the aesthetic of the ode plus its smaller footprint over the wilfa

This is no small thing, the ode looks great.

I've never used a wilfa but I've had a lot of coffee from odes and have always thought it was very consistently good. I've nearly bought an ode dozens of times, the single thing stopping me is that I mostly drink espresso drinks nowadays, but I know I'll cave sooner or later.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ran out of my fancy subscription beans, and out of desperation bought something from the grocery store to hold me over.

Got these Lavazza light roast beans that claim

“Roasted in Italy”
“Beans from non-EU source”

No other details. Just from a non-EU place. I’m going to assume they were grown in Antarctica.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Coffee grinder recommendation under $300?

Want: quiet, reliable for drip and French press. Usage about 3x a week.

I have a virtuoso but it’s loving loud.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

nwin posted:

Going to want a manual grinder then. Lido E, Commandante c40, Helor

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 1zpresso JX has the same performance as a Comandante for $140. Granted it completely ripped off the design and is made cheaper in Taiwan, but still.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hello, I am posting from the grave because I died of suffocation down these rabbit holes

BrianBoitano posted:

Whomst among us haven't done weird dehydration experiments with espresso from the "only pay shipping" coffee beans, as an attempt to make coffee roasted nutz?

Very sharp. Will test it out tomorrow!

By the way, I was being literal when I mentioned these were sharp - like razor blades. And for those of you who thought this looked like drugs:

Dead Nerve posted:

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You need to smoke that :eng101:

My cat agreed with you and tried to get high:

Thankfully she only spread it over half of our carpet and bedsheets.

I'm happy to share that after 5 iterations (earliest attempt not shown) I got the glassy look I was going for with enough coffee flavor:

Clockwise from top left:
  • 26g Liquid espresso + 40g sugar brought to 220°F, 125g nuts added, cooked stirring until hard crack stage except WHOOPS seed crystals took over before that so it got lumpy and not great. Very little coffee flavor.
  • 36g liquid espresso + 40g sugar brought to 220°F, 125g nuts added, cooked no stirring and using pre-toasted almonds. Still lumpy, slightly higher coffee flavor. Pre-toasted nuts were great but didn't have enough for further iterations
  • Going rogue. 42g liquid espresso + 40g sugar tossed with 125g nuts and roasted in an oven, tossing every 10 minutes for 50 minutes total. Nuts tasted the best and the excess sugar melted away, which made a better balance, but still too lumpy.
  • 42g liquid espresso + 40g sugar + :dance: DIY espresso crystal brought to 220°F, 125g nuts added, cooked stirring to 250°F. Transferred to baking sheet before any seed crystals formed, while syrup was still clear. Roasted at 330°F for 10 minutes. Really nailed it, ready to ship to family. The texture is spot on, the coffee is strong. The color makes it look burnt but that's mostly the coffee, though 3 minutes would be better next time. An IR thermometer shows the nuts did indeed hit 330°F which is past the target of 300-310°F.

All in all, dehydrating the espresso was interesting but since the hard crack stage of sugar is higher than boiling then all aromatics are driven off / destroyed anyhow. That, and I didn't powderize enough since I learned the ratio as I went. Still neat to say I did it and my cat got into my stash.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

nwin posted:

The new version of the Lagom Mini is interesting. Its basically a hand grinder sized grinder but with a motor. Its much quieter than the prior version and about $320. I think it only does about 25g at a time though and may not be great for espresso if you end up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKeRYvOa1gI

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Me right now:

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Well done you mad coffee scientist! Let us know what the family thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bandire posted:

The new version of the Lagom Mini is interesting. Its basically a hand grinder sized grinder but with a motor. Its much quieter than the prior version and about $320. I think it only does about 25g at a time though and may not be great for espresso if you end up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKeRYvOa1gI

Brian Quan compares the taste for expresso to be about the same as the Niche just with a longer grind time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9XRGJL3p1U