Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish there was a Doctor Who channel/stream out there that just cycled episodes from across the series + audiobooks and things. There's so much out there and it's hard to find a good digging in point, but a good old channel would let you sample and find what hooks you as you watch or just graze from it all bits at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Khanstant posted:

I wish there was a Doctor Who channel/stream out there that just cycled episodes from across the series + audiobooks and things. There's so much out there and it's hard to find a good digging in point, but a good old channel would let you sample and find what hooks you as you watch or just graze from it all bits at a time.

Pluto should be what you're looking for.

US only I think but it's a free live stream (with commercials) no registration needed

Fake edit: https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/doctor-who-classic

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh sweet! I love when idle wishes come true thanks

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
“No, not the mind probe” mention compels me to observe that if you watch the alternate takes of that scene, every single one of them has a better delivery of that line.

Pure speculation on my part, but if you’re an actor, be nice to the director.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/judgemyvow/status/1469318361993646093?t=NTZ9GmoZVUH9iDCFuzdEfw&s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That ending took me completely off-guard :lol:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Holy loving poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

20th Anniversary Special: The Five Doctors - on the whole it's pretty bad, but given its' troubled production history, how could it have been anything but? It's a miracle it even got made, really. And it did give us the classic ":effort: No. Not the Mind Probe." scene, so you just have to love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuE8ZnKXIAY

is up there too

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Only just last night got to start watching Flux and I have to say that, ignoring the confusing plot so far (I'm only on Episode 3), I'm genuinely loving Dan. My husband and all of his family are from Liverpool/North Wales area and Dan is the epitome of Scouse Guy. Like, I don't think I've ever met a single man from that area that doesn't stay perpetually chill on the surface in any stressful situation. Alien invasion in the Wirral? No worries I've got a wok. And I've actually been down the area his house was so that's also pretty cool.
Also sorry not sorry that I love the idea of a race of dog aliens that have special humans they look out for.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Flux is a handful of great ideas thrown into an incoherent mess.

I just listened Spare Parts for the first time, and it lives up to its reputation. It drips atmosphere - Mondas being a cold, barren version of 1950s Earth where all the resources are gone is so well done, and you can feel the slippery slope of compromises that leads to the cybermen. It would have been easy to do a copy paste of Genesis of the Daleks, but instead its a story about scared people who are willing to do horrible things to keep going. I do like that the last Capaldi episodes went out of their way to keep this canon, because its something special.

I also listened to Return of the Krotons, but I'm not entirely sure what a Kroton is still.

I'm going to grab The Last Adventure, because it's on sale for a decent price at least!

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 11, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just rewatched 'The Ark In Space', and drat, the sheer understated horror of the whole thing is amazing for 1975 family viewing. Yep, the few survivors of a global catastrophe have been impregnated with alien eggs and are being eaten and dissolved from the inside out and turned into monsters while still retaining tortured glimmers of their original personalities, no biggie for Saturday dinnertime.

(Memory is a truly malleable thing. As a kid, my memory of the reveal of Noah's mutated hand is way more disturbing than what was actually there. I remember crusted lobster-like plates, weird long hairs, and boils and blisters. What's actually there is just green bubblewrap. But... I want my version still to be there, so it kind of is.)

On the one hand, I'd quite like the Wirrn to come back as they're one of the few classic monsters who haven't returned that probably a lot could be done with. On the other, they'd likely be watered down, wackified and ruined like the Zygons, so maybe not.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Ark in Space has obvious issues in terms of pretty poor make-up/special effects but it's still a drat good (and deeply unsettling) story.

I think the legend goes that if Ridley Scott hadn't left the BBC he was actually going to end up working on that serial. Instead he went on to great fame as the director of a movie about people in space being hunted down by a parasitic alien species that uses their bodies as a food source for the next stage in their life cycle!

Stairs posted:

Only just last night got to start watching Flux and I have to say that, ignoring the confusing plot so far (I'm only on Episode 3), I'm genuinely loving Dan. My husband and all of his family are from Liverpool/North Wales area and Dan is the epitome of Scouse Guy. Like, I don't think I've ever met a single man from that area that doesn't stay perpetually chill on the surface in any stressful situation. Alien invasion in the Wirral? No worries I've got a wok. And I've actually been down the area his house was so that's also pretty cool.
Also sorry not sorry that I love the idea of a race of dog aliens that have special humans they look out for.

Dan rules and I love the good doggy too :3:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Ark in Space has obvious issues in terms of pretty poor make-up/special effects but it's still a drat good (and deeply unsettling) story.

I think the legend goes that if Ridley Scott hadn't left the BBC he was actually going to end up working on that serial. Instead he went on to great fame as the director of a movie about people in space being hunted down by a parasitic alien species that uses their bodies as a food source for the next stage in their life cycle!

Not quite true; I think that's an urban legend that popped up when people started noticing the similarities between TAiS and Alien. However, by 1968 Ridley was already running his own production company/advertising agency, so he wouldn't have been around the BBC for TAiS anyways.

What he supposedly was around for, though, was getting the nod to design the creatures for the second Doctor Who serial during the show's first season...called Darlekts or something. :v: This particular legend has it that he was supposed to handle the design of the Daleks for their first-ever appearance, but reportedly got ill and so wasn't able to take the job. Not sure how accurate that story is, but it's definitely interesting to think of how they'd have looked if he did get it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Flux is a handful of great ideas thrown into an incoherent mess.

I just listened Spare Parts for the first time, and it lives up to its reputation. It drips atmosphere - Mondas being a cold, barren version of 1950s Earth where all the resources are gone is so well done, and you can feel the slippery slope of compromises that leads to the cybermen. It would have been easy to do a copy paste of Genesis of the Daleks, but instead its a story about scared people who are willing to do horrible things to keep going. I do like that the last Capaldi episodes went out of their way to keep this canon, because its something special.

I also listened to Return of the Krotons, but I'm not entirely sure what a Kroton is still.

I'm going to grab The Last Adventure, because it's on sale for a decent price at least!

Have you ever ordered a salad which came with those cube-like dried bread things, usually flavored with garlic and other spices?

Krotons are nothing like that.

They appear to be a species that exist partly as mental/psychic energy and partly as grown crystal bodies. In theory, they could purpose-grow bodies for specific purposes. In practice, they're crap and not very good at doing much of anything, although I suppose when compared with silicon-based life-forms which are essentially rocks which barely move at all, they're pretty agile.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not quite true; I think that's an urban legend that popped up when people started noticing the similarities between TAiS and Alien. However, by 1968 Ridley was already running his own production company/advertising agency, so he wouldn't have been around the BBC for TAiS anyways.

What he supposedly was around for, though, was getting the nod to design the creatures for the second Doctor Who serial during the show's first season...called Darlekts or something. :v: This particular legend has it that he was supposed to handle the design of the Daleks for their first-ever appearance, but reportedly got ill and so wasn't able to take the job. Not sure how accurate that story is, but it's definitely interesting to think of how they'd have looked if he did get it.

Thanks for the clarification, and the other legend!

Also man it still catches me by surprise when I remember that Ridley Scott is old as hell.

Narsham posted:

Have you ever ordered a salad which came with those cube-like dried bread things, usually flavored with garlic and other spices?

Krotons are nothing like that.

Random tangent, but I remember listening to the audio commentary on a 2nd Doctor DVD once and when they realized that The Krotons was next on the list Wendy Padbury just blurts out,"Oh God no not the Croutons!" :allears:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Payndz posted:

Just rewatched 'The Ark In Space', and drat, the sheer understated horror of the whole thing is amazing for 1975 family viewing. Yep, the few survivors of a global catastrophe have been impregnated with alien eggs and are being eaten and dissolved from the inside out and turned into monsters while still retaining tortured glimmers of their original personalities, no biggie for Saturday dinnertime.

(Memory is a truly malleable thing. As a kid, my memory of the reveal of Noah's mutated hand is way more disturbing than what was actually there. I remember crusted lobster-like plates, weird long hairs, and boils and blisters. What's actually there is just green bubblewrap. But... I want my version still to be there, so it kind of is.)

On the one hand, I'd quite like the Wirrn to come back as they're one of the few classic monsters who haven't returned that probably a lot could be done with. On the other, they'd likely be watered down, wackified and ruined like the Zygons, so maybe not.

You're not remembering "The Mutants" are you? My equally malleable memory says your talking about The Mutants... But it also thinks K9 was in that episode, which makes me think its thinking of "The Invisible Enemy"...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hot take here, but as far as I'm concerned the first incarnation of the Doctor is the Hartnell Doctor: an old man who fled Gallifrey with his granddaughter Susan for [reasons]. To me, all the Timeless Child stuff is just Chibnall indulging in the most egregious of "look how important I am" fanwank. I ignore it just like I ignore all the other dumb ideas and continuity errors I don't like from previous showrunners/producers/script editors/writers, while simultaneously embracing the brilliant ideas that I do like. Makes life so much easier that way. :v:
I truly appreciate when shows with long continuities go as wibbly as 'Who and Red Dwarf, because then my autistic brain can just accept it and move on the way you have.

It's the Ninja principle, but for canon.

When it happens in other franchises I go all crosseyed and it's like somebody's shouting a math problem I can't answer at me non-stop; my brain knows it's supposed to do something, but it just can't manage it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Mutants is mentioned in the Satanic Verses, although not very accurately described.

This week's random story was The Planet of the Daleks, which had some things in it that could have been good but weren't (not helped by Terry Nation not realising that the programme had moved on since he had last written for it, in the Hartnell era).

One fantastic bit though had them escaping up a vent and the Doctor needing a rope to help him up to the top - the first one they threw down was too short, and the next one looked for all the world like they had just given up on him and were trying to throw a noose over his head:

He may be rude to Jo but come on, that's going a bit far

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now THAT is some passive aggressiveness! :lol:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Youtube just recommended me this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iiC8fO-TMQ

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Finally finished Flux. Just kind of a bummer of a season. Liked Dan though.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

https://twitter.com/DWPoop/status/1457731648364204037

What turned out to be my favourite moment of the entire Flux season...

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

SecretOfSteel posted:

https://twitter.com/DWPoop/status/1457731648364204037

What turned out to be my favourite moment of the entire Flux season...

This is still as golden as it was when I first saw it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Sixth Doctor: The Last Adventure is so, so good.

Colin Baker is normally excellent, but in this he's on top form, as is Michael Jayston as the Valeyard. And the difference between 80s Bonnie Langford and modern Bonnie Langford is night and day.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldMemes posted:

The Sixth Doctor: The Last Adventure is so, so good.

Colin Baker is normally excellent, but in this he's on top form, as is Michael Jayston as the Valeyard. And the difference between 80s Bonnie Langford and modern Bonnie Langford is night and day.

That's good to hear. I picked it up a little while ago and haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm listening to Static at the moment and I like it a lot. It reminds me a lot of a good episode of modern Who. It's a great idea, a place where the dead can emerge from background static at the cost of being trapped there.

I keep meaning to bring this up with regard to Big Finish's various Time War connected products: is it me or does it feel like they're not very good at exploring the concept. One of the big things for me is that the Time Lords needed to be lovely enough and damaging enough to the universe that the War Doctor would finally snap and be willing to genocide his own species along with the Daleks to end it. But the Time Lords in the Big Finish Time War stuff I've listened to are explicitly the good guys. They're not paragons of virtue, but they're not doing anything that makes me think our hero would finally go "gently caress both of you.! Neither of you deserve to exist!" I heard people had liked their Time Wars stuff, and I just feel like it's coming up short. John Hurt really was great in the role, at least.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I keep meaning to bring this up with regard to Big Finish's various Time War connected products: is it me or does it feel like they're not very good at exploring the concept. One of the big things for me is that the Time Lords needed to be lovely enough and damaging enough to the universe that the War Doctor would finally snap and be willing to genocide his own species along with the Daleks to end it. But the Time Lords in the Big Finish Time War stuff I've listened to are explicitly the good guys. They're not paragons of virtue, but they're not doing anything that makes me think our hero would finally go "gently caress both of you.! Neither of you deserve to exist!" I heard people had liked their Time Wars stuff, and I just feel like it's coming up short. John Hurt really was great in the role, at least.

It depends what you're listening to, though Jaquline Pearce's character is not a heroic figure, and she's the main face for the timelords in a lot of the War Doctor stories.

If you're listening to Gallifrey, or the War Master sets, the timelords come out of those looking very, very bad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

It depends what you're listening to, though Jaquline Pearce's character is not a heroic figure, and she's the main face for the timelords in a lot of the War Doctor stories.

If you're listening to Gallifrey, or the War Master sets, the timelords come out of those looking very, very bad.

She's not heroic, but she's not really a villain, either, except that she finds herself in conflict with the Doctor due to wanting to use more extreme methods to deal with the Daleks. It's like WW2: the British Empire isn't good but they're fighting a multi-genocidal, expansionist, fascist force so even if they're trying to preserve their empire and hegemony, they still come across as the "good guys". And that's what I feel like I'm missing from the Time War, the stuff that makes me go "the universe is better off without Gallifrey". It plays like Big Finish doesn't want to go too far with Time Lords being lovely.

I haven't listen to any Time War stuff in the Gallifrey and War Master lines, so I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

She's not heroic, but she's not really a villain, either, except that she finds herself in conflict with the Doctor due to wanting to use more extreme methods to deal with the Daleks. It's like WW2: the British Empire isn't good but they're fighting a multi-genocidal, expansionist, fascist force so even if they're trying to preserve their empire and hegemony, they still come across as the "good guys". And that's what I feel like I'm missing from the Time War, the stuff that makes me go "the universe is better off without Gallifrey". It plays like Big Finish doesn't want to go too far with Time Lords being lovely.

I haven't listen to any Time War stuff in the Gallifrey and War Master lines, so I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Gallifrry recontextuslises Ollistra's role in things, despite her not actually appearing, though you can see it in episodes like her Doom Coallition story. But I see your point about the War Doctor stories (which are, I'm gonna be honest, mostly poo poo IMO).

The Gallifrey Time War boxsets are much stronger, despite a fairly one note performance from a Lalla Ward.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The main thing that fucks me off about the Flux is dangling that bloody fob watch and then she just chucks it in the bin. What the gently caress

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So Swarm was imprisoned on a planetoid for all time, but his sister who is just as bad was put into a human body because ????

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

With the War Doctor boxsets, it did feel like only the second and fourth ones really dealt with how confusing and awful a war based around time travel and the fabric of the universe fraying could be - the first one is a really well done story though. Honestly John Hurt's performance is the main attraction to the boxsets - he's so good that it papers over the flaws in the storytelling.

His strained relationship with Ollistra is the heart of the stories, and Hurt and Jacqueline Pearce play off each other wonderfully (Beth Chalmers has a fun reoccurring role too).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So Swarm was imprisoned on a planetoid for all time, but his sister who is just as bad was put into a human body because ????

Yeah I was confused by that too. When the techno-alarm thing was beeping away they both seemed fully aware of what it was all about and chose to try and ignore it/hope it would go away, so it seemed like they were both aware of not just what it meant but that both of them weren't humans. I assumed at first they were just ex/retired Division members, but then it turns out one is Azure so... did her human version know who she used to be? Was her boyfriend/husband/partner her jailer who for some reason got tasked with being in a couple with her? Did she have her own distinct personality/life she was trying to protect and when Swarm showed up it caused that deep hidden part of Azure inside of her to finally wake up (hence the "there's a voice in my head saying thank you" bit? As you asked, WHY did they give her this fate instead of locking her up like Swarm?

I really enjoyed the Sugar Skull Gang and I think Azure's backstory has a lot of interesting potential to it but like a lot of the Flux storyline there was a lot left unanswered, or answered unsatisfactorily.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The main thing that fucks me off about the Flux is dangling that bloody fob watch and then she just chucks it in the bin. What the gently caress

I assume it will crop up again in one of the following three specials, probably the last, just to infect the last of Whittaker's run with this Timeless Child nonsense. But it would absolutely crack me up if Chibnall had actually tried to pull one of Moffat's old standards of,"Suggest some big underlying storyline that turns out to be irrelevant to the Doctor and/or their companion's more personal issues" and just completely missed what (mostly) made those work.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I assume it will crop up again in one of the following three specials, probably the last, just to infect the last of Whittaker's run with this Timeless Child nonsense. But it would absolutely crack me up if Chibnall had actually tried to pull one of Moffat's old standards of,"Suggest some big underlying storyline that turns out to be irrelevant to the Doctor and/or their companion's more personal issues" and just completely missed what (mostly) made those work.

She did say "Unless I really ask for it" which obviously means next episode to defeat the Daleks!

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

I assumed that was more of a "here Russell, you get to deal with this" thing

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Given that she was in a human body with a keeper, that she was free enough to smash the warning beacon, and that the Jo Doctor's circumstances were not entirely dissimilar, I have to suspect that Swarm refused to cooperate with Division and got trapped for all time, while Azure cut a deal and maybe even worked with Division briefly before being "exiled" to Earth.

I have to assume Chibnall had something in mind, although it might merely have been "set up this mystery." It wasn't much of a mystery, nor did it last very long. I suppose we'll find out for sure when Chibnall gets put in charge of Big Finish's Division series in about seven years from now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Grillfiend posted:

I assumed that was more of a "here Russell, you get to deal with this" thing

The Doctor removes the ball, looks down the tube and goes,"Man I should have emptied this trash can a long time ago."

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

*13 regenerates, 14 blinks and pats down their coat*
"Tardis, I'm really asking for that fobwatch!"
*It pops out of the tube, 14 grabs it and chucks it out the open Tardis doors into a black hole, 14 looks directly at the camera*
"gently caress you Chibnall!"
*episode continues as normal*

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I mean, there's only two stories you can tell here, right?
1. Doctor rejects the past and destroys the watch.
2. Doctor recovers the memories.

1 is absolutely obvious and where I figured the story was going.
I'm afraid Chibnall is planning to use 2 prior to the regeneration so that Time's threat is carried out. Doctor recovers memories, says "I'm no longer the Doctor," then regenerates. The Doctor is dead, someone else is now alive, have fun with that story RTD. (But that's probably too clever.)

Then there's the trollish 2 options.
Option Remsta: Doctor opens up the watch, straightens up. Starts behaving entirely differently. Turns out that wasn't her old memories in there, but someone else who has now taken over her mind.

Option Huh: Doctor opens up the watch, doubles over, gasps. Companion asks what's happening. Doctor says "I've just recovered all my old memories that were stolen from me by an evil organization trying to control all of space and time." Companion asks what she's discovered. "I don't want to talk about it."

That feels like a Moffat troll, but I could see RTD use it. Either this stuff will come up later, or it won't. In the meantime, we don't have access to the Doctor's interior world, we just see things from the companions' perspectives.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

As long as it leads to more Doctor Who, I don't really care what they do with the watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Narsham posted:

I mean, there's only two stories you can tell here, right?
1. Doctor rejects the past and destroys the watch.
2. Doctor recovers the memories.

The memories are transferable IIRC, so there are other things that could happen here. They could somehow contrive a way to keep the Jo Martin Doctor around full time, even.