Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh yeah and Hugh's theme rules. Solid dude imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I wish there was more of a plot to BW2. I remember there being a bit of stuff at the beginning, a middle where there was basically nothing, and then a finale around the 8th gym. It didn't need to go hard into the Team Plasma stuff, but it felt like my character just walked into the finale by accident.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

b2w2 was great. Unova being basically a curvy line in bw1 loving sucked. Having detours or breaks of some loving kind on the map is really important to making it feel like a legit region and an actual adventure imo.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh yeah and Hugh's theme rules. Solid dude imo.

We really need more bangers for our rival themes I think. Not to say that the Gym theme in Gen 8 didn't slap it absolutely did but I wouldn't turn down more of that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

b2w2 was great. Unova being basically a curvy line in bw1 loving sucked. Having detours or breaks of some loving kind on the map is really important to making it feel like a legit region and an actual adventure imo.

I very much agree with this. A region doesn't need to be one town or plot point after next. Little weird places or side quests are also very good. Especially weird haunted places which we've been deprived of in Gen 8 and Gen 6. I mean it's England and France you fucks! Gimme a haunted castle to recklessly wander in!! There's an entire haunted mansion in Sinnoh you ain't got any of that for Poke-Europe??? SHAME.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Insane to me that someone would prefer an updated release to a sequel. Like I don't have anything against the 3rd versions but thinking you'd rather spend money on a slightly more polished released of a game you already have but with a new legendary instead of a totally new game with many new locations a new story and an updated dex and everything. I mean even if you don't like BW2 at all the original game is still there for you. What is it missing that you need a Pokemon Grey to address?

E: Anyway Hugh's ok. Kinda sucks at being a rival because he doesn't actually want to beat you (and his team sucks) but first rival since Silver to actually give a poo poo about the villains. He stands out a little and I think that's a point in his favour.

Nanigans posted:

I think a theoretical Pokémon Gray with all that B2W2 included would have made me personally enjoy it much more.

All of the added stuff, including the dex, locations, PWT, movies, Join Avenue, etc. I feel the new story from B2W2 is the weakest part of it, and preferred the (actually good by Pokémon standards) story of BW1. Like someone said, I feel like B2W2 just has you kind of insert yourself into an already completed story and just stick out like a sore thumb.

If you're gonna do a sequel set in the same region, do it like Gold and Silver where you have your own entire adventure with gyms and a championship and all before you even step foot in the old region. Of course, doing that was incredibly challenging even in the simpler Gameboy days, so I understand why they didn't do it for B2W2, but it's what I would have preferred.

They kinda did the same thing as B2W2's story with LGPE and that sucked too. I don't need to be some isekai'd character in Red/Blue's story. Just make a normal remake.

All that said, PWT alone makes B2W2 one of the best games in the series and I really hope they bring it back in Gen 9.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't really get the "inserted into an already finished story" thing. BW ends with a bunch of villains having escaped and then they are back for round 2. The sympthatic members of Plasma are about trying to redeem themselves and help pokemon and poo poo. The old rivals have grown up and gotten jobs that follow on from their character arcs in the original games.

I dunno it just feels like a normal sequel. There was a bunch of stuff left open that got followed up on in decent ways while adding a couple new areas and characters and I think it all comes together decently well. You're just a new kid on a journey that happens to be going at the same time this continuation is going down. I don't see what's really awkward about it. Aside from like I guess that they have to give a vague explanation for why the BW protag ain't around but it's not that weird or anything.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I think we're just talking in circles here, but to put it the bluntest way possible, it doesn't feel enough like a sequel, but does feel like a theoretical 3rd enhanced version with the barest attempt to make a new story. You do all of the same things, but some things are slightly remixed, and it it all feels like a case of deja vu. Again, strictly story-wise. I love all of the gameplay additions.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think you do all of the same things at all tbh and I think the story is significantly different?

Like yeah sure, it's the same region even with a few new towns, gyms and areas so like 70% of the game are places you've already been to which I can see being lame even if I wasn't bothered by it but aside from Ghetsis being the villain team boss I don't think there's really any similarity to the story. Is villain team leader really the only thing that matters? Like aside from him Team Plasma and their plans are completely different. Way moreso than say Platinum to DP or Crystal to GS. I don't really get how you think the story and events are that similar.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Flopsy posted:

We really need more bangers for our rival themes I think. Not to say that the Gym theme in Gen 8 didn't slap it absolutely did but I wouldn't turn down more of that.
you say this about the game with this piece of music as, indeed, one of the rivals' themes (and this isn't even the battle version)???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn8KvUHcg4s

sword and shield needed quite a few things but more bangers is not one of them

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm gonna say something controversial and that's that I think all main series Pokemon games are good.

Also, B2W2 rocks.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

without b2w2 i cannot catch my boy magnemite in unova. with b2w2 i can.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I spent an extra few hours in the BW2 ranch just so I could have a Lucario by Roxie and completely wall her

Unova was a wonderful send-off for the series

just wish its anime was better

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
B2W2's story is great. It's not as good as BW's, of course, but it's a cool redemption story. To say you wish you didn't get to see the cast of the previous one getting a bit older and the whole region updating is kinda insane. Also insane to want to just make a third version when a big part of why B2W2 is good is because it balances out BW's quality curve by having the middle be the best part with constant use of double, triple, and rotation battles in the part where BW1 was mostly just simple flying and then ice gyms.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Nanigans posted:

It doesn't feel enough like a sequel, but does feel like a theoretical 3rd enhanced version with the barest attempt to make a new story. You do all of the same things, but some things are slightly remixed, and it it all feels like a case of deja vu. Again, strictly story-wise.

This is an interesting take as the sequel doesn't retread any of the beats as the first game. The team dressed as knights that actively avoid retaliation from Gym leaders and hold public speeches are now out-and-out terrorists with a flying gunship powered by a legendary. There is no dialogue dedicated to the ethics of Pokemon battles. Further the villain's plot wraps but before the league, unlike Game 1 that ended with Ghetsis as the final fight. I'm curious, what 'all of the same things' you have in mind? Going on a sewer hunt? Running through a frozen city? Fighting the cover legendary before fighting Ghetsis?

Your pathing through the game is, even when it does do the same Gym leaders for 3, 4, 5, and 6; you're given detours into new areas.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, I think you're thinking of USUM, not B2W2.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think you do all of the same things at all tbh and I think the story is significantly different?

Like yeah sure, it's the same region even with a few new towns, gyms and areas so like 70% of the game are places you've already been to which I can see being lame even if I wasn't bothered by it but aside from Ghetsis being the villain team boss I don't think there's really any similarity to the story. Is villain team leader really the only thing that matters? Like aside from him Team Plasma and their plans are completely different. Way moreso than say Platinum to DP or Crystal to GS. I don't really get how you think the story and events are that similar.

The parts that are different (tracking the sages even though you and Looker catch them at the of BW1 anyway, the trio of anime ninjas, the scientist dude, the Kyurem story, seeing slightly older versions of the rivals, Hugh) is strictly worse than what was in BW1 *to me*

BW1 had two great rivals, a villain team with an actually pretty devious and good plan by Pokémon standards, N himself is something wholly unique to the series and is essentially absent from B2W2, my personal favorite champion in terms of personality in Alder, the most involvement by the gym leaders in any Pokémon game until maybe Sun/Moon (when they all roll up together at the climax of the story is awesome,) a literal castle bursting through the Pokémon league…:shrug:

What B2W2 changed seemed bland in comparison. Sure, if I like BW1’s story so much, I could just play that again (and I have,) but it’d be great to have all of the cool additions to it that B2W2 introduced along with the better story. That’s why I would’ve preferred a Gray over what we got with B2W2.

Now, given the option of a third enhanced version or a sequel with an as-good or better story, of course I’d pick the sequel. But B2W2’s story wasn’t as-good or better or even all that different enough. I guess I should be glad they didn’t do a third version though, since the next time they did (USUM,) they somehow made the original’s story worse.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 13, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So do you dislike BW2 because they're different or because they're the same? Like, you were saying the game was deja vu and basically the same game with "the barest attempt at a new plot" but sounds to me like you think it's pretty different but way worse than BW. Which I definitely don't agree with but it makes more sense than you saying you dislike it because story-wise it's no different than BW.

You can just say BW2 sucks rear end. You don't need to try and justify why by saying it fails as a sequel by being too similar when clearly that's not why you ain't a fan.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It’s both. The parts that are truly different are worse, but there’s not that much that’s all that different for the plot. Going through the map in a different order or changing the availability of the Pokémon or adding the PWT and the movie studio has no bearing on the plot. Essentially you’re another kid trying to become Unova League Champ while foiling (Nu) Team Plasma’s plans to conquer Unova, except this this time your rival sucks, N is nowhere to be seen until the end, and the cool tricky villain manipulating people and even his own son is just a common terrorist no better than Giovanni.

I played B2 for like a bajillion hours. I enjoyed it. I just have no desire to experience that story again. I have replayed B1 a buncha times through emulation ‘cause I actually like the story.

If you liked B2W2’s story, cool. I didn’t.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your criticisms are not cohesive with your stated point.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Okay.

I think the story in B2W2 is bad and worse than in BW1 which has a good story.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
B2W2 doesn’t even have a story until the last five minutes where it’s just suddenly “Remember Team Plasma? They have a boat now!”. It’s much like it’s spiritual prequel Johto where it doesn’t even have a story until the last five minutes where it’s just suddenly “Remember Team Rocket? They have a mind control radio now!”
Honestly I think some people like that aspect, or at least claim to. I’ve heard a lot of people complain about BW having “too many cutscenes” and “constantly interrupting me”. There’s a sizable chunk of the adult fanbase that just wants eight badges and silence. And to be fair they’re not totally wrong. It’s obnoxious as all hell in Gen 6/7 where you have to stop at every third step on a straight line to watch the cast act oh so wacky. Gen4/5 got the balance right I think.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You invade the boat at the PWT around gym 4

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

galagazombie posted:

There’s a sizable chunk of the adult fanbase that just wants eight badges and silence. And to be fair they’re not totally wrong
yes they are, these people can keep replaying gen 1 until the end of time and let me have my actual stories in pokemon games

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The lack of endearing queer characters in Shining Pearl was the thing I found most lacking coming from Ultra Moon and Sword. Game Freak please keep doubling down on gay thank you.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shiroc posted:

The lack of endearing queer characters in Shining Pearl was the thing I found most lacking coming from Ultra Moon and Sword. Game Freak please keep doubling down on gay thank you.

This was before nintendo's gay awakening and they had to make it as true as possible to the original of course. God forbid we get any character shakeups.

Amppelix posted:

yes they are, these people can keep replaying gen 1 until the end of time and let me have my actual stories in pokemon games

Ugh God SAME.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Amppelix posted:

you say this about the game with this piece of music as, indeed, one of the rivals' themes (and this isn't even the battle version)???

Not denying the absolute bossness of the song I'm saying all of them need to have this level of goodness.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Amppelix posted:

you and I have very different taste in music apparently, because this song is just a mess, there's nothing to like about it. I can't think of any songs in Sword/Shield that I would call bangers TBH. There is a lot of competent atmospheric music but nothing amazing.

(Ultra) Sun/Moon had a lot of great music. Hau's battle theme and the trial theme were particularly good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Flopsy posted:

This was before nintendo's gay awakening and they had to make it as true as possible to the original of course. God forbid we get any character shakeups.

Jessie and James were in yellow, checkmate

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But even considering that his SwSh story is going better than the game imo.

I want an episode of Pokemon League prime time with the fastest three minutes in Pokemon.
Pokemon Chris Burman when?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Hammerite posted:

you and I have very different taste in music apparently, because this song is just a mess, there's nothing to like about it. I can't think of any songs in Sword/Shield that I would call bangers TBH. There is a lot of competent atmospheric music but nothing amazing.

(Ultra) Sun/Moon had a lot of great music. Hau's battle theme and the trial theme were particularly good

Toby Fox's remix of his magnum opus, The Baby Is You, was a fantastic addition to the soundtrack thank you very much.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Amppelix posted:

I feel that way and I started with gen 3

but, they could also just have better stories. I like stories in games but pokemon stories have never been interesting to me

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I know it's petty but I don't like that BW2 brings back mandatory HM usage after BW had one single mandatory cut tree and made everything else optional.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
BW2 bringing in older Pokemon and changing around distribution also cracked open a lot of the issues with Gen V Pokemon evolution times.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

B2W2 own and they should make more sequels going forward imo. Being able to reuse assets like that would probably help with Gamefreak's need to have a Pokemon game once a year too

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I feel that way and I started with gen 3

but, they could also just have better stories. I like stories in games but pokemon stories have never been interesting to me
Sunmoon is this, to me

The actual main thrust of The Plot is still nothing amazing, but instead the character writing and worldbuilding is finally there. I care about all those people. And not in a "wow he has kind of a cool idea wish it was in a better story" way like you often do with pokemon. They have relationships with each other, details, backstories you get a glimpse of but are clearly more fully planned out, etc. And the dialogue is strong enough, and there's actually enough of it for once, to carry all this. Alola feels like a place inhabited by people instead of a backdrop to whatever the hell is going on in this year's game.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pokemon plot is always instantly forgettable to me. But they're kids games. I'm not going in expecting some narrative that is going to stick in my head for any amount of time. I go into it knowing there's going to be [not-Giovani] who wants [the guy on the box], to [do the not-steal the pokemon (they still steal them anyway sometimes)]. I ignore it, spend my time filling the dex, and then play competitive for the next 50-100+ hours. Some people get really attached to the giant man who misses the flower. Or the child who wants to release all pokemon. And that's okay too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Does anyone actually give a poo poo about N?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zore posted:

Does anyone actually give a poo poo about N?

the character is extremely popular, so...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

the character is extremely popular, so...

Really? He never seemed like a breakout that the fandom latched onto like Guzma, the anime almost completely excised him and his role in BW2 is so perfunctory it feels kind of hilarious. I just assumed he was way less popular than intended and quietly mostly swept under the rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've seen alot of people other places try to make it sound like N is some significant figure in pokemon history. Mostly just fan artists who idolize him for his character design and not much else though. But I literally only remember him as "I think he was homeless and squatting in that ruined castle. He had a dragon, and wanted all pokemon to not be captured anymore."