Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What do people name their farm(s)? I usually use place names from my forum game (Aestia and Luxing so far in RF4) or something really clear for multiplayer games so I don't forget which save goes with which people.

My favorite chicken name I've come up with so far has been Nog, as in egg nog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I didn't plan to double-post, but this is just too cute not to share. I had no choice!

Doug from Rune Factory 4 posted:

Whenever I see Amber, I feel like the world is going to be okay.
Not sure how to say it, exactly, but she's just... peaceful, you know? Or maybe just always happy?
Like, if there were a billion Ambers, war would never happen. All the Ambers would just chill and drink juice.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

LLSix posted:

What do people name their farm(s)?

I'm doing a Forest farm run this time, so I called it Shady Acres Farm. Other farms will probably get differently themed names. I can't remember what I picked for previous runs.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

LLSix posted:

What do people name their farm(s)? I usually use place names from my forum game (Aestia and Luxing so far in RF4) or something really clear for multiplayer games so I don't forget which save goes with which people.

I'm a digital nomad, so I name each Stardew farm after where I'm staying or living at the time. I also alliterate a second word with a rural theme, so I've got places like Ipoh Island, Manchester Meadows, Hanoi Hills, Darwin Downs, etc.

Since I move around fairly frequently (or at least, I did), it's always nice to have those little reminders of places you've been.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

LLSix posted:

What do people name their farm(s)?

Farmer Poopington's Poop Farm. Every time.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Marnie posted:

Mmm, Farmer Poopington's Poop eggs

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
My farms have mostly had functional names to remind me why I made the save file.

Test Farm.
Primus Farm (because it was my first real attempt)
Chill Sands Farm (Beach farm with CC remix to try and not burn out from attempt Y1 clear)
Darc Farm (Because that farmer was called Jeanne after a current D&D character)

Sadly haven't found a good way to bring my love of spoonerisms in.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

LLSix posted:

Sex Farm. Every time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
First farm I gave my family name, because my family name allegedly comes from the farm my great great grandpa owned.

Others I name mostly after the farm type; like Brookwash the hill farm or Maple Glade the forest farm.

Apparently I named my beach farm Animal Farm which is easily the cleverest name I've done.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
TJ Acres, after a deceased pet we name everything after

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Verdant Farm, because the Farmer design I chose was based on the first Half-Alien Sim from my old Sims 2 game, so she's green. Named her Viridian instead of "Maria Roomies", though.

ImperfectTense
Sep 12, 2017
I named the beach farm after a place we used to stay in the Outer Banks but generally, I stare at the naming thing for like what feels like hours trying to find the Perfect Name.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
For the challenge run where I tried to make all of my money elsewhere I called it First Do No Farm

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I would come up with names based off of what I was watching at the time but eventually I gave up and had a few saves where the farm name was "That Farm." Usually with a farmer named That Guy or That Girl. Worked out pretty well in conversation though there were a few "How are things on That Farm farm."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
My first few were NightOwl Farm, which is what I always named my strongholds in the Suikoden series. Now I usually go with Hardstone Farm, which is a pseudonym I use.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

Sex Farm. Every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgy7PLAgF-Y

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Sex Farm. Every time.

The sequel to Sex house I presume.

https://youtu.be/0App7QizQCU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

The sequel to Sex house I presume.

https://youtu.be/0App7QizQCU

Shame on you both for your shocking ignorance of the greatest mockumentary to date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib9Jz9iydeQ

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JoJo Affiliated Calorie Production Facility

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

Shame on you both for your shocking ignorance of the greatest mockumentary to date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib9Jz9iydeQ

Yep, I sing that while I'm tending the livestock, and I giggle the whole time because I am literally 12 and very easily amused.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
My mom's been in the hospital for a few weeks and is close to being discharged and I think I am secretly going to buy and install Stardew on her iPad so she gets addicted and won't leave her bed while she recovers at home.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

For Rune Factory 4 players, RF4 is a bit different from SV in that you make all of your own tools and weapons. When crafting them, you can put upgrade materials in along with what's required for the recipe and get the benefit of those upgrade materials in the base item. Doing this increases the RP cost of the craft.

Fortunately, raising your relevant forging/crafting skill reduces the RP cost. And there's a simple but mind numbing way to level your crafting skill. Since most accessory and weapon crafts with useful skill levels require difficult to acquire crafting materials, the easiest way to raise those skills is to back basic items that only require iron or something else easy to get, and then upgrade them. It doesn't matter what you upgrade them with. So a lot of players end up using turnip seeds. Turnip seeds have the curious property of costing only 10 money to buy, while iron sells for 20 money. So you end up shipping most of your iron to buy seeds to craft with instead. Or you can skip the extra step and upgrade using iron.

Which brings me to my question for the day, what kind of monsters do you like to tame to get crafting materials from? The ones I know about are Woolies shed small fur, which is mostly junk, but at higher love points they drop medium and then large furs which are pretty amazing. Ants shed carapaces, which are okay, but killer ants encountered after the third dungeon shed pretty carapaces which are useful through most of the game. Chipsqueeks shed red fur which is worth putting in most early-mid game armor, but the duck things shed yellow down which is just better than red fur, but they stack so I usually get one of each for early-mid game crafts.

Your NPC allies will equip gear you give them. Their starting gear is good enough for the first three dungeons, but after that, they'll start to need you to make gear for them as well as yourself in order to keep up. Depending on how you rotate NPC companions, that can be a lot of crafting. You can get around this by taking monsters into dungeons with you, or ignoring the NPC allies. The AI for most NPCs and monsters is pretty useless so even properly geared they don't add much. Personally, I like to take at least one NPC healer with me.

Poque posted:

My mom's been in the hospital for a few weeks and is close to being discharged and I think I am secretly going to buy and install Stardew on her iPad so she gets addicted and won't leave her bed while she recovers at home.
An excellent idea! I hope she recovers quickly and well :)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

LLSix posted:

Which brings me to my question for the day, what kind of monsters do you like to tame to get crafting materials from?

quote:

--FOODS--
Buffamoo (Selphia) ... Milk
Cluckadoodle (Selphia) ... Egg
Mamadoodle (Cluck-Cluck Nest) ... Egg
Hornet (Yokmir Cave) ... Honey
Hornet Queen (Maya Road) ... Honey
Hornet King (Rune Prana 2) ... Honey

--STICKS AND STEMS--
Beetle (Yokmir Forest) ... Insect Horn
Heracles (Maya Road) ... Rigid Horn
Leaf Ball (Yokmir Cave) ... Plant Stem
Buffaloo (Delirium Lava Ruins) ... Bull's Horn

--FEATHERS--
Weagle (Water Ruins, road west of Obsidian Mansion) ... Bird's Feather
Black Bird (Maya Road) ... Black Bird Feather

--STRINGS--
Spider (Obsidian Mansion) ... Spider Thread
Hell Spider (Floating Empire) ... Pretty Thread
Scorpion (Delirium Lava Ruins) ... Scorpion Tail
Death Stalker (Sechs Territory) ... Scorpion Tail
Flower Lily (Autumn Road) ... Vine

--FURS--
Chipsqueak (Selphia, Leon Karnak)... Fur
Furpy (Autumn Road, Leon Karnak)... Quality Puffy Fur
Wooly (Selphia) ... Wool
Smooly (Sercerezo Hill) ... Wool

--POWDERS AND SPORES--
Big Muck (Selphia , Autumn Road) ... Spore
Fairy (West Selphia Plains) ... Fairy Dust
Tricky Muck (Autumn Road) ... Poison Powder
Planchoa (Maya Road) ... Root
Flower Lion (Delirium Lava Ruins) ... Root
Flower Blossom (Sercerezo Hill) ... Root

--CLOTHS AND SKINS--
Ant (Yokmir Forest) ... Insect Carapace
Killer Ant (Yokmir Cave) ... Pretty Carapace

--CLAWS AND FANGS--
Silver Wolf (Yokmir Cave) ... Wolf Fang
Hunter Wolf (Sechs Territory) ... Wolf Fang

Source unknown, unfortunately. Copied it a long time ago.

For crafting through a very important breakpoint is skill level 50 which is when you start getting bonus stats for overall level of equipment. A basic broadsword that with a lv10 iron the rest lv10 seeds then upgraded with 9 more lv10 seeds has over 700 attack because of the way it works.

Hell difficulty basically requires doing full max crafting and at the start you can make these through making broadswords with poo poo iron then upgrading them to lv10 with lv1 or whatever turnips seeds. Repeat until skill 50 then use those lv10 broadswords to forge with 1 lv10 iron and upgrade the resultant sword with the rest of the lv10 swords. Instant op early game sword. Repeat for shields and armour.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 16, 2021

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
For now I have fur, milk, honey, and eggs. Milk is most useful since I can refill my RP and boost max RP with it.

I looked up a guide on taming and got the haunted house boss with apple pies. Pretty useful since she has wide spread on her attacks and can CC with the long box attack. Also she's pretty tough so she can distract enemies and you can ride her.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A very good source of early rp is picking up flour from the shop and making toast. It's something like 800rp each for cheap. I tend to run 2 of the food animals and one of every crafter because getting lv10 crafting goods as random drops sucks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've got 6 buffamoos and 4 chickens, but I really want 8 of each. Flan is a fantastic and widely liked gift. Unfortunately the RNG on getting each animal of the same type after the 4th is killing me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I just adopted monsters I thought looked cute... :ohdear:

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
sorry to interrupt this rf4 discussion (really love that game tho) I think I'm gonna get my time at portia during the upcoming steam sale. it seems pretty cool. what's this threads consensus? I remember it used to be pretty mixed reception, but it seems like it's gotten a lot of updates. also are there any QoL mods people reccommend for portia? something similar to the scythe harvest mod in stardew. not breaking the game but making certain things less tedious. I really wish they would've fixed stones and wood supplies in RF4 when they ported it, takes forever to get enough to do things.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

god Kent loving rules

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mirello posted:

sorry to interrupt this rf4 discussion (really love that game tho) I think I'm gonna get my time at portia during the upcoming steam sale. it seems pretty cool. what's this threads consensus? I remember it used to be pretty mixed reception, but it seems like it's gotten a lot of updates. also are there any QoL mods people reccommend for portia? something similar to the scythe harvest mod in stardew. not breaking the game but making certain things less tedious. I really wish they would've fixed stones and wood supplies in RF4 when they ported it, takes forever to get enough to do things.

I love My Time at Portia to pieces, but the gameplay loop is very different from SV. More on that after I answer the rest of your question.

My Time at Portia doesn't need mods, and I can't think of any that are worth the hassle of getting them working. Socialize is the best, because it sorts liked gifts to the top of the inventory list when talking to npcs, which is very nice if you have one of their liked gifts. Otherwise it tends to sort important things, like your tools to the top of the gift list. I've accidentally given away mid game tools more than once, and since you make your own tools by upgrading through each stage, that's very annoying. You can play without it as long as you have either a decent memory or aren't obsessive about friending everyone at once. The devs have a new game, My Time at Sandrock which had a beta release recently and is targeting a release early next year.

My Time at Portia has an insanely long main story. Several times I thought surely the main content was over, and was always pleasantly surprised with more story. Despite that, it feels like an early-access game in a lot of ways. There are entire features that are very clearly someone's passion project rather than part of a coherent design. Some NPCs have several times as much content as others. There are no real game-breaking issues, but it still has many of the rough issues we've come to expect from passion projects.

My Time at Portia's basic gameplay loop is: go to town -> pick up a job -> do job -> repeat once a day, forever. That's how you make your money. It's a bit like if SV instead of having a money making farm, mostly focused on doing the requests villagers post outside Pierre's store. Despite that, it's very fun. All the main story requests result in changes to the world that persist for the rest of the game and give a little thrill from knowing you built that. So do some of the side quests and daily quests. You spend a lot of time mining for materials or cutting down trees to get material to do the jobs. Fishing can be a very significant source of income if you want it to be.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
To add to LLSix's post, Portia is much more about industry than anything else, and you'll find yourself making machinery, filling machinery, and running machinery to make things to turn in for tasks as well as to make more things to make more things to make more things. It's not Factorio level industry by any means; the scale is quite small and you're getting materials yourself rather than via an automated system. I definitely enjoyed my time with the game, but it absolutely is a bit janky in places and last time I played it had a lot of kind of half done and somewhat poorly made systems. I understand that it has had some rather significant updates since then though.

Overall though you really don't need something like automate because the game is designed with automation in mind from the beginning, although later upgrades certainly streamline the automation more and more.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
MTAP is very very good, although I'd argue that a few mods are worth the effort: Socialize as mentioned, MoreSkillPoints because it's the one part of the game that isn't chill, and Treasure Revealer just so you can see where to mine without constantly scanning.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Portia is pretty great, IMO. https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=My_Time_at_Portia Has some useful tips, though I don't agree with all of them. And of course, it has a huge wiki that diving through can be useful.

I'd also add :
- Unless chasing achievements, you should have basically forever to do things, don't stress out.
- Do keep some backup saves though. There were still some bugs a few years ago when I was playing (though I mostly dodged them myself.)
- You can scale how fast the clock ticks in the options, if you want to have more time to think and navigate without opening the menu to pause the game. NPCs still walk as fast though, so they do end up a bit early for most scheduled stuff.

- There are things you can only get by buying them. Salt, Upgrade kits, new clothes.
- You'll probably end up with lots of spare stone after mining. Turning it into stone stools, or grinding stones and selling them en masse can be handy.
- Every day all the shops have their prices in both directions up or down a percentage. This is the same for all goods and all shops on a particular day.
- Fish in a tank or similar will breed if they are the same and there is space. King/Emperor/whatever quality fish are worth a bunch of money. Fish also live forever in a chest or your pocket.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Tylana posted:

I'd also add :
- Unless chasing achievements, you should have basically forever to do things, don't stress out.

IIRC there's only one achievement that you can truly 'miss' in a playthrough: crafting all five of the Dee-Dee transports. If you take too long, Higgins (:argh:) will end up crafting one or more of them. It's not super-hard to pull this off, just need to have some materials stocked up beforehand and aim to have the quest start around a weekend, since Higgins (:argh:) won't grab commissions on weekends.

Aside from that, you could conceivably get all of the other achievements on your own time.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
You can cheat Higgins quite easily on any commission by keeping him away from the board during the entire time slot he's supposed to be there. He still gets points so you can't cheese that but it's still there for mission stuff if you really want to do them all yourself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm a bit frustrated that Haunted Chocolatier was announced this early, because from the trailer alone it is everything I could want from, uh, whatever you'd call the broader farming sim genre, and I can't play something like Stardew Valley any longer without thinking how much better the game would be if I lived in a haunted house with spooky ghost friends and an attic Narnia.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Rynoto posted:

Treasure Revealer just so you can see where to mine without constantly scanning.

For MTAP this is one mod that's required. The treasure system in that game is horrible and makes finishing the museum impossible, even with the mod.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Actually enjoying the Stardew Valley Expanded and Ridgetop combo. Takes a bit to load but the extra areas are neat and the writing is fine enough. Makes the game maps extra large which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Actually enjoying the Stardew Valley Expanded and Ridgetop combo. Takes a bit to load but the extra areas are neat and the writing is fine enough. Makes the game maps extra large which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

I looked for Ridgetop but it pointed me to Ridgeside Village, which I hadn't heard of before. My 65 year old mom probably has the record for most Steam hours in SDV and an expansion mod would be a great Christmas present for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Are any of the older rune factory games worth playing? I’m reading through a let’s play of the Wii one and it looks pretty good.