Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Considering the moderna booster gave my wife a 103.8 degree fever, it depends on the person. You literally could make your body respond so violently if you were like her that you fry yourself due to the fever. Or you get an infection from the multiple injections in a small area or develop muscle issues there (deltoid muscles aren't supposed to be used for large injections and repeat ones in a day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah if you're going to be putting 10-20 loads of fluid in in one day you probably want to use some site more used to it, like the glutes

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Gotta end this covid thing so my glutes can get back to 10 to 20 loads of fluid a day

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah if you're going to be putting 10-20 loads of fluid in in one day you probably want to use some site more used to it, like the glutes

hey take it to Denny's

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s a liquid injected into the muscle so this.

Ah, man, this guy is smart. He got one of those comfy airplane neck pillows built in to himself.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno if he isn't reading too much into it. Did the chuds really analyze how covid disproportionally affects minorities, instead of just going with fake gyna virus that will go away by Easter as dear leader said? Same leader that resisted wearing a mask because that's for pussies?

Moron anti-vaxxers exist everywhere sadly, here check out the vaccination rates for CZ (1/2/3 doses):

loving millenials man, boomers were right after all! Ijust can't wrap my head around this poo poo. The assholes refusing to vaccinate are, I'm pretty sure, the same ones who are the most mad about all possible restrictions. You reall want your pubs to remail closed or open until 10pm best case? Well that's a great way to do it!

Maybe the specific racial dynamics of it don't stack up, but the general gist of "I don't have to worry about it; gently caress you" aligns with the general gently caress You sentiment of the entire Trump movement.

There are anti-vax dipshits everywhere, but has any other country managed to turned it into a left/right partisan issue?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

I'm not exactly sure, but the cell phone reception you'd get would be epic.

You fool, you become the tower at that point.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno if he isn't reading too much into it. Did the chuds really analyze how covid disproportionally affects minorities, instead of just going with fake gyna virus that will go away by Easter as dear leader said? Same leader that resisted wearing a mask because that's for pussies?

Moron anti-vaxxers exist everywhere sadly, here check out the vaccination rates for CZ (1/2/3 doses):

loving millenials man, boomers were right after all! Ijust can't wrap my head around this poo poo. The assholes refusing to vaccinate are, I'm pretty sure, the same ones who are the most mad about all possible restrictions. You reall want your pubs to remail closed or open until 10pm best case? Well that's a great way to do it!

He's absolutely reading to much into it. Which is a common issue when you view every problem through a prism of racism. The whole premise that trump supporters see themselves as the dominant caste is pretty shaky. I would say a lot of them consider themselves as outsiders from any hierarchy let alone leaders of it. Without getting into secret caste systems that no one is aware of you can explain it all by the fact that their brains have been conditioned into incredible levels of paranoid conspiracy thought. The whole gamut from "Just the flu, bro" to "There are metal squids in the vaccine" is predicated on decades of NWO/illuminati/QAnon/Great Reset etc conspiracy thought.

Where the MMR anti-vaxxers playing out a caste system? No. I can buy there is definitely an element of "if the Libs want me to do it I won't" but it's because the Libs are a bunch of treasonous baby eating satanists. Not because they're the most popular party for people of colour.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Illuminti posted:

He's absolutely reading to much into it. Which is a common issue when you view every problem through a prism of racism. The whole premise that trump supporters see themselves as the dominant caste is pretty shaky. I would say a lot of them consider themselves as outsiders from any hierarchy let alone leaders of it.

You can subconsciously view yourself as being a member of a certain caste and seeing others as a lower caste, or even rejecting that they belong or have any right to participate in your caste system or country at all, which is for example why many Trump voters will tell you Obama was born in Kenya and therefore not a real president.

Or for example:

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/teenage-pricks-pareene

quote:

When the boy’s basketball team from Roosevelt High School in Minneapolis, traveled to small town Jordan, Minnesota, for a game in January, a group of young men on the home side of the gym bleachers unfurled a large “TRUMP 2020” banner across their knees. The Roosevelt coach later complained on Facebook, writing: “Please explain how and why this is appropriate at a high school basketball game?”

Presented with just that much information, you can probably fill in the demographic details of everyone involved. And all of them— the kids from the almost entirely white rural host school and the kids from the predominantly black and Latino urban visiting school—knew exactly what that banner meant. It meant: gently caress you. It meant, “we” took “our” country back.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

freebooter posted:

You can subconsciously view yourself as being a member of a certain caste and seeing others as a lower caste, or even rejecting that they belong or have any right to participate in your caste system or country at all, which is for example why many Trump voters will tell you Obama was born in Kenya and therefore not a real president.

Or for example:

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/teenage-pricks-pareene

Is it a caste system if it's subconscious? Just sounds like ingroup/outgroup to me.

Obama being born in Kenya is prime example conspiracy thought. He was a literal plant by the NWO to destroy America.

Those kids? That's not showing any caste system it's just racist owning the libs.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

freebooter posted:

Maybe the specific racial dynamics of it don't stack up, but the general gist of "I don't have to worry about it; gently caress you" aligns with the general gently caress You sentiment of the entire Trump movement.

There are anti-vax dipshits everywhere, but has any other country managed to turned it into a left/right partisan issue?

Germany most definitely has.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Illuminti posted:

Is it a caste system if it's subconscious? Just sounds like ingroup/outgroup to me.

Obama being born in Kenya is prime example conspiracy thought. He was a literal plant by the NWO to destroy America.

Those kids? That's not showing any caste system it's just racist owning the libs.

I guess I took the "caste" thing in the Twitter thread more metaphorically than everyone else

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

freebooter posted:

I guess I took the "caste" thing in the Twitter thread more metaphorically than everyone else

Yeah, I can totally read it like that......but then what's the point of 20 tweet long thread about how it's all a product of a caste system? Whole thread read like a super smart hottake to me

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Illuminti posted:

He's absolutely reading to much into it. Which is a common issue when you view every problem through a prism of racism. The whole premise that trump supporters see themselves as the dominant caste is pretty shaky. I would say a lot of them consider themselves as outsiders from any hierarchy let alone leaders of it. Without getting into secret caste systems that no one is aware of you can explain it all by the fact that their brains have been conditioned into incredible levels of paranoid conspiracy thought. The whole gamut from "Just the flu, bro" to "There are metal squids in the vaccine" is predicated on decades of NWO/illuminati/QAnon/Great Reset etc conspiracy thought.

Where the MMR anti-vaxxers playing out a caste system? No. I can buy there is definitely an element of "if the Libs want me to do it I won't" but it's because the Libs are a bunch of treasonous baby eating satanists. Not because they're the most popular party for people of colour.

In fact, I'd say it's exactly the opposite: Trump's base are mad because they're not the dominant caste. They feel that they used to be higher up in the caste system, and their resentment manifests in distrust of established authorities (who they see as having usurped their status).

That guy's narrative doesn't really make sense, because he frames it as the lower castes telling Trump voters what to do, and that's pretty clearly not what's happening. Mask mandates and shutdowns and mandatory vaccination aren't being forced on Trump voters by poor black people, they're being dictated by government authorities.

But really, it's not surprising to see some projection and hypocrisy in a forty-something tweet thread by an extremely white liberal who's branded himself the white supremacy expert and champion of the lower castes.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Illuminti posted:

Yeah, I can totally read it like that......but then what's the point of 20 tweet long thread about how it's all a product of a caste system? Whole thread read like a super smart hottake to me

Tbh I skimmed the second half

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

In fact, I'd say it's exactly the opposite: Trump's base are mad because they're not the dominant caste. They feel that they used to be higher up in the caste system, and their resentment manifests in distrust of established authorities (who they see as having usurped their status).

That guy's narrative doesn't really make sense, because he frames it as the lower castes telling Trump voters what to do, and that's pretty clearly not what's happening. Mask mandates and shutdowns and mandatory vaccination aren't being forced on Trump voters by poor black people, they're being dictated by government authorities.

But really, it's not surprising to see some projection and hypocrisy in a forty-something tweet thread by an extremely white liberal who's branded himself the white supremacy expert and champion of the lower castes.

That actually makes a lot of sense. They're definitely not the dominant class and I think they know it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
By definition you can't have a "secret" caste system. A society either has a caste system where hierarchy is formal and externally defined or a class system where the hierarchy is implicit and internal. Being a secret caste system is nothing, that is a class system. Calling it a "caste" is just to make it sound fancy.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Norwegian Department of Public Health just released their updated risk assessment of omicron in Norway

quote:

Already in December, the omicron variant will cause an increase in the number of sick people, many hospital admissions, and a significant strain on the healthcare service and society, through widespread sickness absence. Even if the omicron variant were to cause milder disease in the individual, the widespread transmission would still lead to significantly more hospital admissions than today. In a preliminary scenario, we estimate that in three weeks there could be up to 90,000 and 300,000 cases per day and 50 to 200 admissions per day if the measures do not slow the epidemic significantly.

For a population of roughly 5mil, I'd say that's not optimal.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Someone in the UK has died from Omicron. Now, that doesn't really effect the severity assumptions yet as we don't know really what their condition is and of how many infections, but I guess we can stop saying, 'No-one has died from Omicron'.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Weasling Weasel posted:

Someone in the UK has died from Omicron. Now, that doesn't really effect the severity assumptions yet as we don't know really what their condition is and of how many infections, but I guess we can stop saying, 'No-one has died from Omicron'.

Like, yeah probably. But it looks like the story is just boris johnson going to a vaccination clinic and saying omicron is hospitalizing and killing people nonspecifically. It doesn't look like there is a specific case he was referencing. Just in general, which is how it's been floating for weeks.

Euro center for disease control as of december 12: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/epidemiological-update-omicron-data-12-december

"All cases for which there is available information on severity were either asymptomatic or mild. There have been no Omicron-related deaths reported thus far. "

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Considering they have Denmark as a next-door example I would expect them to implement restrictions ASAP.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
edit: yeah. Nonspecifically it's probably killing people, no confirmed deaths. Funny snopes page remains up another day!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/first-confirmed-omicron-death-uk-22444096

Asked how many people are in hospital with Omicron, Health Secretary Sajid Javid told Sky News: “In England, there’s about 10 people that are confirmed, in England, with Omicron.”

He added: “At this point in time I can’t confirm a death.”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love how with every variant we have to spend the first month insisting it isn't killing anybody.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

I love how with every variant we have to spend the first month insisting it isn't killing anybody.

It's been a mild ride

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I love how with every variant we have to spend pages arguing over the propriety of the statement "it hasn't killed anyone yet", even though there is not yet any proven case of the variant killing anyone, as if we have a responsibility to ignore facts and data for the sake of rhetorical impact because Something Awful Dot Com is on the frontline of the meme wars or something.

Yes, we loving know it's going to kill people. It's not loving rocket science. But there hasn't yet been any verified case of this variant killing anyone yet, and this stupid loving smug metacommentary every time that fact comes up is loving annoying! Just tolerate it for a loving week until dead people start showing up the way you want them to, okay?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
What "every variant" has anyone done that for?

All the variants of interest that matter seem like they either predate the naming systeming having much public awareness or be a variant that got a variant name after it was already a big deal. Omicron seems like the only variant that got announced before it did anything.

(maybe iota?)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, we loving know it's going to kill people. It's not loving rocket science. But there hasn't yet been any verified case of this variant killing anyone yet, and this stupid loving smug metacommentary every time that fact comes up is loving annoying!
What's loving annoying is the people looking at the oncoming train going "now now technically it hasn't killed anyone yet" and insisting on it over and over

Who gives a poo poo, if you know it's going to.

Main Paineframe posted:

Just tolerate it for a loving week until dead people start showing up the way you want them to, okay?
Ah yes when mom tells you not to slap your hand down on a hot stove it's because she wants you to burn yourself!
Just wait until I get third degree burns like you want mom!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Also we are now 20 days since November 23rd.

South African covid cases have risen 121x from 300 a day to 40,000 a day with a 7 day average of 20,000 a day.

In the same time period the South African moving average for deaths has sagged from 31 per day to 21 per day. They say their ICUs are less than 10% full. Compared to the US where people are dying in hallways.

I mean, maybe crisis actors hiding the bodies or something, and 21 dead a day mean probably some of them had omicron, but this isn't the normal pattern for past waves. Like at all, and it becomes more abnormal every single day.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

What's loving annoying is the people looking at the oncoming train going "now now technically it hasn't killed anyone yet" and insisting on it over and over

Who gives a poo poo, if you know it's going to.

If you can't tell the difference between "it's going to kill people" and "it's already killed people", then I don't know what to loving tell you. If you're asking who gives a poo poo whether what we're posting is factually accurate, well, I do. I hate this tendency for people here to happily post poo poo they know isn't backed up by data because, hey, it makes them feel the way they wanna feel and who cares whether it's true or not.

VitalSigns posted:

Ah yes when mom tells you not to slap your hand down on a hot stove it's because she wants you to burn yourself!
Just wait until I get third degree burns like you want mom!

Putting aside how loving weird this quote is (seriously, what the hell), I would gladly post lies and bullshit if doing so would somehow save millions of people from injury and death. But my posting has no real-world impact, so I don't really see any pressing need to become a bullshit artist just to protect your feelings.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also we are now 20 days since November 23rd.

South African covid cases have risen 121x from 300 a day to 40,000 a day with a 7 day average of 20,000 a day.

In the same time period the South African moving average for deaths has sagged from 31 per day to 21 per day. They say their ICUs are less than 10% full. Compared to the US where people are dying in hallways.

I mean, maybe crisis actors hiding the bodies or something, and 21 dead a day mean probably some of them had omicron, but this isn't the normal pattern for past waves. Like at all, and it becomes more abnormal every single day.
isn't the thing about South Africa that it has been estimated that basically everyone there has contacted Delta already at some point? And I mean everyone, like 90th percentile level.

Even if Delta doesn't protect from reinfection, if a previous infection still confers a better immune response than naive, that may explain it. It could also explain why omicron might be worse in populations with more naive people.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I can tell the difference, you have a serious reading comprehension problem if that's what you got from what I said.

And I'm getting tired of people who say the virus is going to kill people being accused of wanting it to happen. If you can't tell the difference between expecting danger and wanting danger then I don't know what to tell you :shrug:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fabricated posted:

isn't the thing about South Africa that it has been estimated that basically everyone there has contacted Delta already at some point? And I mean everyone, like 90th percentile level.

I don't think that had ever been estimated. It seems like a guess that 100% sprung up after cases decoupled from deaths, but on world-o-meter puts it blandly in the middle for 'cases per million" that even if they were off (which they are for every country in some way) there is no reason to think they are so off that the official estimate is 52,452 per million when they really meant 900,000 per million. Like it's not a super rich country but it's not totally out there incompetent, it's a country with krispy Kream donuts and a space program and stuff, not kenya or anything where you wouldn't have a government with any ability to track correctly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Nobody ever did this for the SA and Delta variants. Hell, our awareness of Delta started with the funeral pyres.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Technically accurate that nobody was aware of the term Delta variant until after the funeral pyres began because it was only given the official name delta on May 31st, and had been informally referred to as the India variant before the Greek letter nomenclature was agreed on

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/first-confirmed-omicron-death-uk-22444096

quote:

Boris Johnson said that at least one patient has been confirmed to have died with Omicron.

Speaking during a visit to a vaccination clinic near Paddington, in west London, the Prime Minister said: “Sadly yes Omicron is producing hospitalisations and sadly at least one patient has been confirmed to have died with Omicron.

“So I think the idea that this is somehow a milder version of the virus, I think that’s something we need to set on one side and just recognise the sheer pace at which it accelerates through the population. So the best thing we can do is all get our boosters.”

Boris Johnson said that Omicron now represents about 40% of coronavirus cases in London and “tomorrow it’ll be the majority of the cases” in the capital.

inb4 "died with" and not "died from"

We'll have more data on vaccine efficacy, disease severity etc out of the UK in the next several weeks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Technically accurate that nobody was aware of the term Delta variant until after the funeral pyres began because it was only given the official name delta on May 31st, and had been informally referred to as the India variant before the Greek letter nomenclature was agreed on

Then show me how people spent a month asking if the Modi variant was killing anybody or else back off from the strawman.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

That was the same article that started this conversation, as quoted at the bottom of the link:

quote:

Asked how many people are in hospital with Omicron, Health Secretary Sajid Javid told Sky News: “In England, there’s about 10 people that are confirmed, in England, with Omicron.”

He added: “At this point in time I can’t confirm a death.”

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That was the same article that started this conversation, as quoted at the bottom of the link:

I just don't know who to trust, the UK's health minister or the UK's Donald Trump.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fritz the Horse posted:

inb4 "died with" and not "died from"

We'll have more data on vaccine efficacy, disease severity etc out of the UK in the next several weeks.

Yeah, the statement that 40% of all Corona cases in London are already omicron sounds incredibly excessive, at this point in time. I wonder where he pulled that number from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Then show me how people spent a month asking if the Modi variant was killing anybody or else back off from the strawman.

Tarezax posted:

I don't think there's anything special about the variant. India just opened up way too early and had some superspreading religious festivals

Owlspiracy posted:

there’s no evidence that this is because of a particularly virulent variant. the death rates are consistent with the number of infections - especially with health care collapse.

etc