Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Biplane posted:

Old age. Lead poisoning. Untreated mental illness. Dementia. Take your pick.

CIS white woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got the impression Glinner's a bit of an outcast because he's just a foghorn blaring out the quiet part 24/7.
They want to hand-wring and pearl-clutch about how they don't hate trans people, they just want to protect women, and he spoils that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OPAONI posted:

It's because it is.
E: to expand upon a glib answer, transphobia is a lot less popular among millennials/gen z so for anyone who wants to be openly transphobic and a popular figure in those circles has to have a support system. Enter the transphobe circuit, of which Lineham and Rowling are now part. Basically you get lovebombed by assholes as they try and turn you into an evangelical rear end in a top hat like them.

Also Rowling has basically been on a 4 year stretch of 'posting her way through the backlash' and I hope it stresses her out all the time.

Oh, you had it right in one, but that also makes sense. You see the same kinda love-bombing with nazis and other hateful extremists, but they usually don't have the same funding and specific targeting of wealthy famous figures Scientology-style.

Also I don't doubt it, they're definitely constantly stressed and furious that those stupid kids aren't listening about who the REAL enemy is.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Garrand posted:

I don't know what you mean by "here" but I know during the last election in Florida there was at least one fake candidate with a name either the same or very similar to the democrat. Investigations basically turned up that some of the required information was false (like he didn't even live where he was supposed to, or something).

e: looking up a little more

The reason why political parties are registered in the UK is because in the 1994 European elections, a man managed to get 10,000 votes as a "Literal Democrat", handing victory to the Tories who beat the Lib Dems by 700 votes.

Dude tried to do it again in the 1997 general election and a by-election afterwards, but was unsuccessful both times.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Memento posted:

My oldest daughter has been talking about Harry Potter with her school friends and she asked for the first book for christmas.

Got her a hardback of The Wee Free Men

not sorry

You're a good parent. :3:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Memento posted:

My oldest daughter has been talking about Harry Potter with her school friends and she asked for the first book for christmas.

not sorry

Witchlings by Claribel Ortega would also be a really good alternative.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Memento posted:

not sorry

Good, it's objectively the better choice and there's much more of it anyway.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

probably their identities as a "progressives" were very important to them (without actually caring about the issues much), so after saying something low-key transphobic getting called out for it they got super personally offended and started getting really defensive and doubling down over and over about "I'm definitely right, I'm the progressive one here, all these people ratioing me on twitter are the evil ones, I HAVE TO BE RIGHT and just pushing themselves further and further into bigotry like that

Yeah, and Rowling in particular seems have to really let the zeitgeist of ten-fifteen years ago get in her head. I dunno how the british press covered her but in the US, it was all "single mom on government benefits bootstraps way to millions!" Then it rotated into her becoming an icon of (milquetoast as all hell rich white lady) feminism.

The literal richest person in Scotland is never going to face material consequences, of course, but it's cathartic seeing that this poo poo clearly affects her. If WB, the theme parks, etc ever sever ties with her to keep shilling Potter crap her twitter is going to be a real font content.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When they announced a Harry Potter video game they followed it up with “JK Rowling isn’t involved” statement. No idea how true it actually is, but it’s kind of funny that a game wants to avoid bad press by not associating with the author of the series it’s based on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bobjr posted:

When they announced a Harry Potter video game they followed it up with “JK Rowling isn’t involved” statement. No idea how true it actually is, but it’s kind of funny that a game wants to avoid bad press by not associating with the author of the series it’s based on.

They’re also doing a movie cast reunion for HBO and they also put out a “JK Rowling is not invited” press release confirming she wasn’t going to be in it either.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You see the same kinda love-bombing with nazis and other hateful extremists,
I often wonder about this tbh.

There's a business owner in my town who's become a bit of a hero with the far right for refusing to comply with Covid regulations. She's very much a middle-class hippy type, into alternative medicine & that, you all know the type. Now she's getting loved bombed & absolutely lapping it up. Thing is, all the people turning up to support her are literal neo nazis. Not the type who make any effort to cover it up either, your absolute stereotype violent tattooed skinhead types. Local BLM activists have also made it 100% clear to her exactly who these people are, that the main organisation backing her have all their social media accounts banned for being open nazis, they all turn up with the name of that organisation plastered over their jackets & banners, & she is absolutely losing business over this. Like at what point do you stop & think :psyduck:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it necessitates a big conspiracy for how terf poo poo works, I think it's just an emergent behaviour of how groups work. Most successful subgroups in society follow a similar pattern, you are enthusiastic towards new members and keen for someone to share your interest and experience, this I find is true for LGBT people, political groupings good and bad, and to a degree, probably a lot of hobbies as well, albeit some of them with serious caveats depending on who is trying to find familiarity in the group.

Because love bombing works, and particularly online where the entire context of your interaction with people can be on one single subject, you can end up associating the camraderie with, and only with that specific subject.

It would be nice if this only worked for good causes but it does, unfortunately, even work for manky old shitlibs who are desperate for some moral crusade to make them feel like they're cool again.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

They’re also doing a movie cast reunion for HBO and they also put out a “JK Rowling is not invited” press release confirming she wasn’t going to be in it either.

As someone who grew up with the books and movies and the whole hoopla, I’m so glad that a lot of the cast is like “yeah, gently caress her.” I’ll still hold a fondness for reading them as a kid in my heart, those books were there for me at a time I needed them. But like, some things I’ll leave in that era in a happier state, I deserve happy childhood memories not obliterated by the present day. Everyone does, in some capacity.

But seriously gently caress her.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

not sorry

You dumb-rear end she was asking for the Epic of Girugamesh.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You dumb-rear end she was asking for the Epic of Girugamesh.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

GrandpaPants posted:

9/11 broke Dan Simmons' brain, but he never had the platform and reach as Rowling does. It's hard to find a comparable author because of that factor, because Rowling had WAY further to fall than most other authors. Like the only person I can think of who would be comparable in cultural reach is like, Stephen King.

Whats the Dan Simmons stuff?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mordekai posted:

Whats the Dan Simmons stuff?

Wild Islamophobia. This touches on where he was in 2006, and he’s kept it up since.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Enkidu too

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Usually if the person used to be decent but changed into a chud pretty quickly, they've probably suffered some sort of brain trauma.

Just learned that Frankie Muniz, who always seemed like a long-time chud, nope, he had a poo poo ton of mini strokes that disappeared his childhood and turned him chudwise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Malcolm in the Far Right.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pookah posted:

I got the impression Glinner's a bit of an outcast because he's just a foghorn blaring out the quiet part 24/7.
Linehan's King of the Lesbians schtick has always drawn some criticism but he's become less and less accepting of criticism, to the point where he's accusing critics of being secret TRA plants ( he never shies away from an defending male critters from criticism of their sexist, homophobic, et al behavior) which is really chipping away at his remaining support and putting him one step closer to immolating himself outside of Tavistock or Mermaids Headquarters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly I am very excited to see how deep he can go into no-friends-and-stupid territory. He's like the kola borehole for human stupidity except I think he actually might tunnel into stupidity hell.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly I am very excited to see how deep he can go into no-friends-and-stupid territory. He's like the kola borehole for human stupidity except I think he actually might tunnel into stupidity hell.
I'm just glad he's too gormless to figure out how to make a bomb and will likely martyr himself some other way. Because he's too egomaniacal to ever back down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I do worry about that but he doesn't seem like the type, too addicted to posting. My bet is probably just like, some kind of hernia or something, died of Being Mad Online.

Still if we have to have terves at least we have the most unlikeable man alive constantly telling everyone how much he is one and how great it is while plastering himself in his own poo poo.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

He is nowhere close. There is adamantine near hell and that is useful. He's not doing anything useful and hasn't found a vein.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Usually if the person used to be decent but changed into a chud pretty quickly, they've probably suffered some sort of brain trauma.

Just learned that Frankie Muniz, who always seemed like a long-time chud, nope, he had a poo poo ton of mini strokes that disappeared his childhood and turned him chudwise.
This short section was a trip (also suggests the mini strokes were misdiagnosed? He clearly has problems though.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Muniz#Personal_life

But my issue is, yes, this guy is marriage and fatherhood material.

I weirdly knew the guy he raced Formula Atlantics under originally, an old friend of my dad's. Sadly he passed away last year.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Here I come, waltzingtwirling into the thread with more drag content!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Linehan apparently introduced Peter Serafinowicz to Dark Souls. So there's that bit of trivia.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

christmas boots posted:

Linehan apparently introduced Peter Serafinowicz to Dark Souls. So there's that bit of trivia.

Curious to hear Linehan's thoughts on the Gender Coffin in 2

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Heath posted:

Curious to hear Linehan's thoughts on the Gender Coffin in 2

I know in reality he's a chaser and that probably had something to do with it, but in my heart I hope this was what actually broke him.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Christian Walker, continuing his attempt to be "Milo 2.0":

https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1470081071723208711

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1470225633355653121

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea who that guy is but based on those two videos alone I hate him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Joey Freshwater posted:

Child of a football player who is running against Raphael Warnock, one of the two Georgia senators who were elected a year ago in that big shebang.

He critically leaves out that his parents were only able to start businesses because his dad was large but still good at sprinting and tackling dudes.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Joey Freshwater posted:

He is the son of Herschel Walker, a Trumper who is running for office on a "I'm Black and Republican" platform. His son is flamboyantly gay, and reeks of trying to be the new "right-wing's favorite f@g", as Milo referred to himself.

I'm not joking when I say Christian is trying to be Milo 2.0, with "I'm Black and I hate other Black people" thrown in there too.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

christmas boots posted:

I know in reality he's a chaser and that probably had something to do with it, but in my heart I hope this was what actually broke him.

It evidently broke a lot of people, I can still hear the gnashing of teeth when people took their helmet off and realized their manly man DS2 character was now a guh-guh-girl

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Oh okay yeah knowing that he's Herschel's kid makes me hate him more by association.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Heath posted:

It evidently broke a lot of people, I can still hear the gnashing of teeth when people took their helmet off and realized their manly man DS2 character was now a guh-guh-girl

I think part of it was that, at least in the original, it wasn't immediately clear what happened. So it might be like 10 hours before you found out. the re-release version changed it so that you know right away.

Although tbh I think it was funnier the first way.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Child of a football player who is running against Raphael Warnock, one of the two Georgia senators who were elected a year ago in that big shebang.

He critically leaves out that his parents were only able to start businesses because his dad was large but still good at sprinting and tackling dudes.

that's not a fair argument. Herschel Walker was good at sprinting and avoiding tackles! He was also the reason the Cowboys were amazing in the 90s (because they traded him)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm trying to remember if that got me or whether I immediately got back in the coffin because I couldn't figure out what it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

:eyepop:

e: ah poo poo this isn't the favorite tweets thread. I guess it still kinda works here.

Shishkahuben has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Dec 13, 2021