Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Don't steal my buttcoin-thread gimmick (mine is putting ghost TiTTy's, Ham Sandwich's, and Seraph's words in quotes when they mention "money," "gains," or anything resembling "value" in a soft-headed post...usually followed by :lol: or :lmao:)
:bitcoin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I was going to make fun of Salt Shakeup for not accepting my toxx offer but I just checked and they are probated until sometime in January, so I guess I have to forgive them.

If anyone else really wants to bet their account on Bitcoin hitting $100k, the offer is now open to all takers and remains so until a week from the time I made the original post about it; the terms are as I posted back then (with your account name replacing Salt Shakeup's)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

always funny when a true believer like the replier here notices something dodgy going on

they're so close to getting it

https://twitter.com/therealwaxpunk/status/1470113688350695426

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/loishh/status/1470340143970230277

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

If I weren't dumb as a post I'd be trying to make one of those websites where you can enter data and have it create a cease-and-desist order for a given image used as an NFT, and make it so it takes no more than 30 minutes to sue OpenSeas or whatever over an entire portfolio.

A long time ago I remember someone making a website that did something like that for telemarketing scams or something along those lines, and boy howdy, do we need that today. Imagine what would happen if those NFT congregation sites got hundreds or thousands of cease-and-desists a day, it'd be fuckin' glorious. :allears:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Doesn't the process of creating / "minting" a NFT have a cost in buttcoins? I have a hard time imagining how scraping the feeds of twitter artists and dumping their poo poo on opensea makes money. The actual artist isn't promoting it, so it's not like anyone who actually knows or a fan of the artist will buy it.

Also if I was an artist an my poo poo got stolen, I'd wait until the NFTs got sold before sending a takedown request. Why? Because now the guy who bought the NFT owns a receipt for a broken image icon, instantly making his dumb purchase totally worthless. That guy will be mad and yell at opensea for deleting "his" art. Opensea and the art thief don't give a poo poo, but the guy who lost money will. It helps devalue the whole concept by showing that NTFs are as ephemeral as the web storage that hosts the file.

And secondly it established an actual monetary damage, in the unlikely event that a bunch of artists put together a class action suit about this poo poo.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Klyith posted:

Doesn't the process of creating / "minting" a NFT have a cost in buttcoins? I have a hard time imagining how scraping the feeds of twitter artists and dumping their poo poo on opensea makes money. The actual artist isn't promoting it, so it's not like anyone who actually knows or a fan of the artist will buy it.

I mean, I imagine two-bit scamming in general has a relatively low payout. Reminds me of something I read which found that low-level drug dealers tend to make sub-minimum wage. A lot of the people making NFT's might not be the brightest bulbs in the shop.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I made a joke a week or two ago that crypto as a whole feels like a Ponzi scheme, but actually, poo poo like this makes it feel like a multilevel marketing organization. This is just one of those big dumb conferences where they tell people that if they aren’t making profit, they aren’t working hard enough, and then they have 38 special play hold on loosely or something.

That old “if you are paying for your job, you aren’t a salesman, you’re the customer” chestnut works well for crypto too. All these crypto evangelists are are MLM recruiters trying to get the next sap.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
It also reminds me, in a roundabout way, of alternative medicine and its related scams, which I've also read about.

Same sort of use of technical or mystical-sounding boondoggle to add a veneer of legitimacy to the process, same sort of big businesses springing up to exploit it, same sort of people buying into it even against available evidence.

Incidentally, A fifth of Americans say they have tried alternative treatments in lieu of conventional medicine. Somewhat similar to how many have bought/invested in/"invested" in Bitcoin.

Basically, all kinds of crock are like all other kinds of crock.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 13, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know what I find weird about these crypto concerts and expos? They're literally just celebrating a currency. Now, there have always been lavish celebrations to commemorate wealth and hoarding money among rich fucks. But how often does someone throw a concert to celebrate the US Dollar specifically? The change to the Euro happened with in our lifetimes, did anything like that happen to celebrate it?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
From my perspective, they're not celebrating the currency. They're celebrating how they can get rich quick off the currency, plus a celebration of whatever ideals they associate with crypto.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Actually putting it on the blockchain costs money, but I think some of the NFT platforms allow for "just-in-time" minting where it doesn't happen until the first sale

e: yep https://support.opensea.io/hc/en-us/articles/1500003076601-Can-I-list-an-item-without-paying-to-mint-it-

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 13, 2021

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Any true believers in cryptocurrency have long since gone and have been replaced by a myriad of grifters.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Any true believers in cryptocurrency have long since gone and have been replaced by a myriad of grifters.

Sounds like the userbase never changed then

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Zopotantor posted:

Every USDT is backed by a real, actual US Dollar. You can go to Tether HQ and look at the dollar.

In Moscow everything is arranged for the benefit of man and I even saw the man! (sorry, just remembered that, not relevent.)

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Eh, I think it's a mix of both. Not just because it's easier to grift if you sincerely believe in it, but because it purports to address the problem (to libertarians) of centralized currency control. The fact that it doesn't is an Issue, but if you're a libertarian who wants a solution to the fed, Crypto at least claims to offer that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The really disgusting thing is all the crypobros in the reply chain blaming her for not minting her own NFTs first.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Mercury_Storm posted:

I initially was sympathetic to the concept of a traceless currency for people who live in areas of heavily restricted media consumption (reading a Neil Fallon interview about a dude who came to a Clutch concert and was stoked he could listen to rock in public was a real eye-opener for me to say the least) or like a place where the king has you executed for smoking weed or whatever. Bitcoin was a stupid and flawed idea but a step forward nonetheless.

Crypto nerds today are people selling cows that are advertised as making GBS threads expensive Swiss chocolate and the marks who are eating cow poo poo and insisting that this time it’ll taste amazing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Prurient Squid posted:

Wait, wait, wait... so 1 Tether <- 1 USD but it's not actually convertible? What does that actually mean?

There ya go

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

mycrimes.txt found in a bathtub

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

The really disgusting thing is all the crypobros in the reply chain blaming her for not minting her own NFTs first.

The cops not bothering to come when you call that your home was broke into, saying “lol why didn’t you install bars on your windows, stupid?”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not a joke, the official Crazy Frog team revealed on their discord that their producer is forcing them to do NFTs and none of them want to but they can't stop him.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There’s an official crazy frog team?!

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
NFT for Crazy Frog's weird looking penis that was censored in American distributions.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

How does one actually reverse search Opensea to see if their artwork was stolen?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Scam Likely posted:

How does one actually reverse search Opensea to see if their artwork was stolen?

DeviantArt made a an art theft detection tool that scans Opensea to determine whether any listings there match images on DeviantArt.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Wow how many thousands of dollars will be spent to acquire the one and only NFT of クレイジーフロッグ

Kureijīfuroggu?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

That doesn't even solve the situation since if she made NFTs of her art, nothing was stopping someone from cropping it by a pixel or tweaking one spot or adding a "crypto bros rule!" watermark and making another NFT out of it.

You know, I'm beginning to suspect NFTs are a really bad idea. Perhaps even some kind of scam.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

That doesn't even solve the situation since if she made NFTs of her art, nothing was stopping someone from cropping it by a pixel or tweaking one spot or adding a "crypto bros rule!" watermark and making another NFT out of it.

You know, I'm beginning to suspect NFTs are a really bad idea. Perhaps even some kind of scam.

You're overcomplicating it. Nothing is stopping someone from simply making additional and multiple NFTs that link to the same singular art.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I should just make an NFT for every single Netflix catalog page. Now YOU can own the entire hit series Squidgame by merely wiring me some bitcoins!

Edit: when the lawyers come knocking I’ll just use the legally undefeatable “you should’ve minted your own”

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 13, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Now YOU can own the entire hit series Squidgame by merely wiring me some bitcoins!

someone beat you to it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59129466

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gutcruncher posted:

I should just make an NFT for every single Netflix catalog page. Now YOU can own the entire hit series Squidgame by merely wiring me some bitcoins!

Edit: when the lawyers come knocking I’ll just use the legally undefeatable “you should’ve minted your own”

There's noting illegal about putting a link to netflix onto a bockchain. Nft creation isnt stealing or subject to ownership concerns because they don't claim to provide ownership of the original work, only the token with the link.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A lot of NFT owners believe that they have some rights to whatever the NFT points at, and the people selling the NFTs certainly aren't doing anything to disabuse them of that notion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When I say non-fungible token, the token is the database entry. I sold you the database entry and the link to goatse is just some bonus decoration.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
im going to make an nft of the dns root "."

it means you own every URL on the internet

meaning is absolutely not assigned by consensus or law. the bits themselves have significance. humans could go extinct and nfts would still exist as totally real things that are not abstract representations of social concepts in any way

Khorne
May 1, 2002

stramit posted:

Is you can’t sell your tether for fiat how do you get your money out?
You can sell tether for fiat to other people. Which is why it's mildly functional at some scale.

Why would someone buy tether for fiat instead of crypto itself? Because the exchanges use it to trade instead of USD. And trading on exchanges has lower fees & way faster turnaround than a transaction on the blockchain. Except for the part where your holdings are now on a centralized exchange and not actually in the crypto itself...

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 13, 2021

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1470485071257915402

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

incredible libertarian energy coming off that tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

those are definitely words.