Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I think mostly its "saying blockchain makes our investors cum" honestly, it's a huge fad in tech rn. Investors demand constant growth and "innovations", it's not good enough to be profitable, you have to say you're gonna do something new that will make you 30% more profitable than last year, even if that's not true. half of the tech industry is either in on the grift and forcing this poo poo so their personal holdings go up, or are actively being grifted into pushing this stuff for investors or other controlling agents so you're probably gonna see a lot of this nonsense before it pops.

"Blockchain is basically the Internet all over again: a giant pyramid scheme. The ones who get in early get rich, the ones who get in late get hosed. So, do you want to get rich, or do you want to get hosed?" :notfunny:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A package has arrived! Nearly a year late, but it's finally here.

Managed to get lucky and I have copy 503 of 10,000.
This is a big box. I'll take some photos and do a round-up

Arrived before game day on Saturday :slick:

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Infinitum posted:

A package has arrived! Nearly a year late, but it's finally here.

Managed to get lucky and I have copy 503 of 10,000.
This is a big box. I'll take some photos and do a round-up

Arrived before game day on Saturday :slick:

Mine is due in Melbourne on Monday, but I have games sessions booked Saturday and Sunday. Keen to hear how it plays.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Alright I'm going to preface this post with a tl;dr 0 the production quality on this game is absolutely amazing.
Every component is a delight to hold and there's just absolutely so much fun poo poo in here.

I went for the All-In Pledge at $125 USD and Elf Creek Games have knocked it out of the park for value for money.

Firstly the inside of the box lid has the names of all the KS backers

I found mine and it was a very :neckbeard: moment

Games are individually numbered

I wish more games would do cut out slots like this to make opening the game easier.

Instead of a standard folding game board they have opted for puzzle pieces! It works surprisingly well.

Do you like rondels? What about MAGNETIC rondels?
https://i.imgur.com/CUZ9fc1.mp4

Each player has their own UNIQUE double layered wagon

Unique art for each of the privacy screens

Screen printed player markers (dual sided)

All the items have a gold foiled side!

Quartz and Lanterns, both translucent.

The Lanterns can be orientated standing up or laying down on the boards

Tiny metal horseshoes :swoon:

Pictures do NOT do these metal coins justice. The 10 & 1 are tricoloured, and the 5 is dual coloured.
They feel amazing in your hand, and are absolutely gorgeous to look at.

You'll obviously need some drawstring bags to hold said coins, again with custom embroidery
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/yMzFQSf.png[/timg

Know what else fits in bags? Dice. There's over 3 dozen all up.

Custom trays! They hold an absolute buttload of crap in em, and are easy to grab and take out of the box for setup.

I typically don't sleeve my games, but I've done so with the sleeves they've provided. Even with the additional thickness everything fits inside the box easily.

Just an absolutely mind blowing production by Elf Creek, I can't wait to get this to the table.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Pack and Store guide was a bit of a headscratcher though!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

watch as kickstarter times the payouts when the value of the coin is at it's lowest and its taxes when it's highest value

Anyways

how is the Horizon Zero Dawn game? I missed the kickstarter but I want those minis :(

I heard the game is meh though.

I've been playing with some friends who bought a bunch of the expansions as well as the main game. It's meh. First time we played a 4 player game I went last and waited nearly an hour to do something. Having a Player-monster-player-monster turn scheme is really obnoxious.

I also found some of the scenarios really loving easy once our characters were upgraded once. Also, very few options for upgrades - yay, I can have more arrows of the same kind I already have, or I can get some arrows that cost me absolutely rare materials used to upgrade my character? gently caress off. Give me some loving options and scale accordingly. Also, provide some guidance as to what sort of play-style goes with what sorts of upgrades - I'm at a friend's house, I don't have time to read a bunch of analysis and figure it all the different interactions. Something as simple as "these upgrades are more for ranged combat, those are for close combat with a bit of co-op support" would go a long way, as you can't respec!

They should have made the monsters tougher and allowed players who's turn it's not to have *something* to do or think about rather than waiting for the board to completely change. Or make some sort of simultaneous system, which would really increase the amount of player interactivity and cooperation. Otherwise turns take longer because you can't really plan ahead.

I do enjoy the mechanic where you can target specific parts of the larger critters, that's nice. The health system of discarding cards when you take damage is kinda interesting but it can snowball really easily if someone is getting gangbanged.

Honestly I'm just playing it because my friend was really excited about the game, and we enjoy spending time with them.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 9, 2021

NW Knapstars
Aug 14, 2015

Here's an interesting take on the KS situation....

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1469317425862688777

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

NW Knapstars posted:

Here's an interesting take on the KS situation....

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1469317425862688777

https://twitter.com/BenClapperton/status/1469427233550913547

:shrug:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Only 1 euro for a T-poo poo? Normally I gotta eat upwards of 17 dollars of Taco Bell!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The_Doctor posted:

Well, I guess Voyages is my last KS game.

Now entering it's last 24 hours, looks like great value for money, a more interesting way to do a roll and write, and a distribution model I really want to encourage.

Going in the same distribution model is Speed Paper, a cute little PnP racecar flicking game, from some designers in Mexico. Really great deal here, too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What KS could possibly hope to unseat Frosthaven from it's throne atop the #1 position on Most Backed?

Minis for all the monsters in Frosthaven + Gloomhaven
https://www.ungeek.ph/2021/12/gloomhaven-board-game-will-now-have-their-own-set-of-miniatures-coming-on-kickstarter/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like dice. I like to collect dice. There's no real reason for collecting them other than I just think they're neat.

A company I like and usually support has a kickstarter up for some dice.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackoakworkshop/kitty-clacks-the-second-litter/description

The theme is cats. Instead of a 20, they have a little cat icon. The dice are also slightly larger than standard size, 26mm vs 23mm.

There's no real "gimmick" or anything to the sets beyond "highest number is a cat icon" but the company in question, Black Oak Workshop, has put up several kickstarters before this one that I've supported, I've always received the products from them, the products have always been as advertised, and I've always been satisfied with their quality.

They're not like artisanal dice or anything like that, they're just neat-looking math rocks that are a little bigger than usual and come in a variety of colors (assuming they make enough money to unlock every color set).

If you like dice and want to collect some good dice from a good company that makes good stuff at reasonable prices, I sincerely recommend checking them out.

I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just like dice, cats, black oak workshop, and dice.

These are the different sets and the funding levels at which they unlock
https://i.imgur.com/VERU87y.jpg

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

15 seconds with a ruler tells me that these are just Magic spindown dice with standard randomised faces instead of sequential ordering.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Okay? What's your point?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

15 seconds with a ruler tells me that these are just Magic spindown dice with standard randomised faces instead of sequential ordering.

Yes, that is what a standard d20 is

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Infinitum posted:

What KS could possibly hope to unseat Frosthaven from it's throne atop the #1 position on Most Backed?

https://www.ungeek.ph/2021/12/gloomhaven-board-game-will-now-have-their-own-set-of-miniatures-coming-on-kickstarter/
They don't really look that great, from what little they show in the teaser. :(

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Guessing it's pretty much just because people have been moaning about how much they want enemy minis since the very first KS despite the very good reasons they weren't included and are impractical.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Infinitum posted:

I've historically been all-in on GH and FH but this one's gonna be a pass from me. I don't paint minis, and I actually like the plastic/cardboard split for easy table differentiation.

I wouldn't turn it down if Isaac threw me a crate of them or whatever - but it's not my thing.

With all that said - I'm really happy for the folks who've wanted this for years. :)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

After an odyssey, my copy of Eila and Something Shiny is here. Good production values!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Their dice bags are also of a real lovely quality.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

how do you know that Magic spindown dice aren't just larger d20s with sequential faces

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
Here at FASA Games we're back for another attempt at Interceptor. We spent the last six months playtesting, changing the art, and updating the miniatures.

Still no TOG thank to IP thieves, but if you like space fighters and blowing up other space fighters, it does that well.

We made a gameplay video too this time since everyone said that you cannot possible launch a kickstarter without one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_QIYSWqnCw

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fasagames/interceptor-ii

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't know anything about interceptor. Absolutely nothing. So I'm going to ask something that is probably very stupid.

Was x-com an inspiration at all for the aesthetics?

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't know anything about interceptor. Absolutely nothing. So I'm going to ask something that is probably very stupid.

Was x-com an inspiration at all for the aesthetics?

A good question, but it was not. It is a reimagining of the original FASA Games Interceptor, but faster playing. So we started with those miniature designs and went from there. Outside of the original Interceptor game, my main inspiration was the old Wing Commander games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok, thank you. Literally the only reason I asked was because I saw the ship art and thought "this reminds me of the ship art from x-com" and x-com had a ship called the interceptor and a spinoff called interceptor so I wasn't sure if there was meant to be any kind of connection there or not. Thank you for answering.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bogieman posted:

Here at FASA Games we're back for another attempt at Interceptor. We spent the last six months playtesting, changing the art, and updating the miniatures.

Still no TOG thank to IP thieves, but if you like space fighters and blowing up other space fighters, it does that well.

We made a gameplay video too this time since everyone said that you cannot possible launch a kickstarter without one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_QIYSWqnCw

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fasagames/interceptor-ii

I backed it and want it to succeed, so eventually there will be a remastered Centurion, the greatest of Grav Tank games.

What happened with the TOG IP?

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I backed it and want it to succeed, so eventually there will be a remastered Centurion, the greatest of Grav Tank games.

What happened with the TOG IP?

Thanks!! We were starting our development cycle and were planning on using the original IP when Budgie Smuggler Games came along claiming the IP. The whole Renegade Legion license is in a weird limbo place so it was decided to just do a new setting and recreate the games. We have plans for Leviathan, but it might be too far from the original, but coming off Noble Armada 3e I didn't want to do another big ships broadside in space game. Have to make it through Interceptor first though. We also want to do grav tanks, but that one is trickier as I would really just want to take the original rules from that and re-use them.

The other one I really want a chance to do is Circus Imperium with a glorious game board funded by KS. :)

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’d be down for a new Centurian too. Even just streamlined rules and new components would be nice. I’ve still got the old box somewhere, along with one of the expansion books.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Funzo posted:

I’d be down for a new Centurian too. Even just streamlined rules and new components would be nice. I’ve still got the old box somewhere, along with one of the expansion books.

And rules where combat is a little more lethal. In the original, the biggest tank gun in the game took a minimum of two shots to knock out the equivalent of a Humvee. The game got slooooow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

homullus posted:

how do you know that Magic spindown dice aren't just larger d20s with sequential faces

Same difference really, I was just pointing out that this KS uses their dice being uniquely 26mm!!! which is bigger than regular dice!!! as a selling point, when in fact it's just the mould used for Magic spindown dice (which also have a non-numeric face for the largest number).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jedit posted:

Same difference really, I was just pointing out that this KS uses their dice being uniquely 26mm!!! which is bigger than regular dice!!! as a selling point, when in fact it's just the mould used for Magic spindown dice (which also have a non-numeric face for the largest number).
It's pretty unusual for non-spindown dice, though, so I don't get why you are being weird about cute cat dice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

It's pretty unusual for non-spindown dice, though, so I don't get why you are being weird about cute cat dice.

I'm not being weird. It's the same as any other poo poo bastard kickstarting a premium unique product that they got from Alibaba for pennies on the pound.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jedit posted:

I'm not being weird. It's the same as any other poo poo bastard kickstarting a premium unique product that they got from Alibaba for pennies on the pound.
Did you find these on alibaba, then? If so go ahead and post the link.

It being the same size as spindown dice doesn't mean anything. That's not how dice molds work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Call of Killforth kickstarter is out

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tristanhall/call-of-kilforth-a-fantasy-quest-game

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 14, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Jedit seems to have identified "slightly bigger!" as the key selling point for the dice as opposed to just one element in the marketing of yet more pretty number fake rocks. "They're a thing that already exists!" because yes, larger dice do, and the images presented did seem to emphasise that more than I'd expect.

That's why they were talking about measuring their own dice.

Anyway I don't get why people love buying new dice so much unless there's something special about them, and that threshold is fairly high for me, which is why I own really really tiny metal dice, spirited away dice, and boring opaque dice with one colour for the body and one for the pips or numbers. I am really glad I am not infected with that particular strain of goblinisation.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

And rules where combat is a little more lethal. In the original, the biggest tank gun in the game took a minimum of two shots to knock out the equivalent of a Humvee. The game got slooooow.

Yeah. The armor widowing was pretty fun with the templates, though.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

El Fideo posted:

Their dice bags are also of a real lovely quality.
Seconding that. No idea about their dice, but I have a few of their bags and stopped using anything else. Sturdy, slick, perfect size.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

boring opaque dice with one colour for the body and one for the pips or numbers.

The older your players, the better these are. They're also great for players of all ages new to RPGs, because you can tell them to roll "the red one" rather than "the weighted d12."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah my favorite dice are plain black with large numbers in white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

We're keeping the 'Pimp My' nomenclature for now to avoid confusion