Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I feel like the best way to make large maps work is to make them unsymmetrical and varied in the rooms and areas you can check. Asylum, and HS to a lesser extent, aren't super fun to hunt in initially because they're both large, symmetrical so the walking isn't very interesting, multifloored with both floors having nearly the same layouts, and full of identical looking rooms. I like prison more than either of these because while it has multiple levels each one has unique rooms so there's more to explore. It also gets around the identical room issue by making it so the ghost haunts a whole section of the cells rather than one individual one. I think a mansion level would work well since it could have a lot of variety in layout design, I'm less convinced that apartments or a hotel would be good because there would be less of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Yeah, agreed w/ that analysis. I'll also add that one of two things badly needs to happen with high school: Either the truck needs to be moved right next to the main entrance (because I hate the pointlessly long walk from the truck to any of the entrances), or it needs to be retrofitted into a hybrid indoor/outdoor map. Change the inside so one side has all the classrooms, and the other has more unique rooms like band, a small auditorium, the principal's office, computer lab, etc... and change the outside to have potential ghost areas like a parking lot with a few explorable buses, a small athletic field house and a central fountain area.

For new maps, I'd like something a little less conventional, like a small theme park or area 51.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Theme park with a horrible honking clown ghost. Use the juggalos as a model.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It'd be cool to have a backpack or something that could hold 6-10 items that someone could wear to haul to a distant part of the larger maps and plop down like a mobile equipment station. Can't use anything other than a flashlight while hauling it, can't sprint with it on, and putting it down/picking it back up takes maybe 1-2 seconds so you can't just ditch it at a moment's notice to juke a ghost more easily.

When it's plopped down it turns into a little shelf like in the truck, and maybe the ghost can knock things off of it or something? Having a backpack in general like that doesn't seem that unbalanced but I'm trying to think of ways to make it risky to have right in the ghost's room.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

It'd be cool to have a backpack or something that could hold 6-10 items that someone could wear to haul to a distant part of the larger maps and plop down like a mobile equipment station. Can't use anything other than a flashlight while hauling it, can't sprint with it on, and putting it down/picking it back up takes maybe 1-2 seconds so you can't just ditch it at a moment's notice to juke a ghost more easily.

When it's plopped down it turns into a little shelf like in the truck, and maybe the ghost can knock things off of it or something? Having a backpack in general like that doesn't seem that unbalanced but I'm trying to think of ways to make it risky to have right in the ghost's room.

Yeah I think something like this would be a good idea.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm the guy with the hot take that the large maps are cool and fun to play on, especially after all the bug fixes to make them feel better. Both HS and Asylum need a rework to bring them more in line with Prison though, they def suffer from being some of the earliest maps of the game in terms of detail and uniqueness.

I will however always stan the poo poo out of HS, B-ball Williams is the best loving ghost I've ever encountered. More maps need cool ghost interactions like spawning a basketball and pushing it down stairs. And then doing it again 10-12 times so there's just a pile of basketballs at the bottom of the stairs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen that happen, that sounds hilarious.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I enjoy high school, but the sameness of the rooms is annoying. I actually kind of like sound sensors for those bigger maps, but where is room 23 in the high school? Is it one of the front rooms, or one on the sides? Which side is it? Kind if annoying when you have two people slapping down sensors and don't know which order they went out in. A label on the map like 1, 2, 3, 4 would be handy

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Highschool is my favorite of the bigger maps followed by prison because they at least have interesting set pieces even if the ghost is usually in a classroom/prison cell. Asylum just doesn't really even have that.

Highschool gym ghosts or library ghosts are my favorite in the game.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think I've ever seen that happen, that sounds hilarious.

It was, it was an Oni whose ghost room was the entire upper hallway at the top of the sets of stairs. No, we didn't get any evidence. Yes, we did bail out after two people died because it started chain hunting due to sanity loss.

It is still one of the most memorable ghosts I've had though, and you basically never see ghosts use that interaction.

Jaxts posted:

Highschool is my favorite of the bigger maps followed by prison because they at least have interesting set pieces even if the ghost is usually in a classroom/prison cell. Asylum just doesn't really even have that.

Highschool gym ghosts or library ghosts are my favorite in the game.

I have never seen a gym ghost, straight up, or one in the library.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

We had one library ghost, and a locker room ghost which caught us way off guard, because that was the very first time ever that it was not in a classroom/bathroom for us

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Simsmagic posted:

I feel like the best way to make large maps work is to make them unsymmetrical and varied in the rooms and areas you can check. Asylum, and HS to a lesser extent, aren't super fun to hunt in initially because they're both large, symmetrical so the walking isn't very interesting, multifloored with both floors having nearly the same layouts, and full of identical looking rooms. I like prison more than either of these because while it has multiple levels each one has unique rooms so there's more to explore. It also gets around the identical room issue by making it so the ghost haunts a whole section of the cells rather than one individual one. I think a mansion level would work well since it could have a lot of variety in layout design, I'm less convinced that apartments or a hotel would be good because there would be less of it.

Yeah, I agree. Prison is the best largemap. I love that there's an outdoor yard area for when you need to decompress from being scared shitless throw some loving weights around and get hella jacked and then hop back inside and yell "DYEL" into the spirit box.

Now that the radio works during a hunt, my new favorite pvp method is to broadcast "I think the hunt is over" when the hunt is definitely not over.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yoooooo big new update just dropped

https://game-updates.info/phasmophobia?123

quote:

CURSED POSSESSIONS
Several new items have been added: The Cursed Possessions.
Each location will feature 1 of 6 items, randomly chosen at the start of each contract. There are several spawn points for each item, so get searching!
Cursed Possessions trade sanity for information, but be warned; using these items can cause an additional negative effect, so think carefully if you want to anger the ghost for the rest of the investigation.

Music box
Reports show paranormal entities singing along to this haunting melody. Don’t get too close or you may get a nasty surprise.

Tortured Voodoo Doll
Force a pin into the doll to trigger a reaction from the ghost, but you may lose more than you gain.

Haunted Mirror
A visible portal into the spectral realm, dare you peer inside to find the ghost’s room?

Summoning Circle
Risk your life by summoning the ghost and trapping it temporarily. Don’t stay too long, it’ll break free eventually.

Tarot Cards
A deck of ten random cards, each with a unique mystical property.

Ouija Board
The Ouija Board is now classed as a Cursed Possession, and has received new visuals.
You must now say "Goodbye" to finish talking with a ghost on the Ouija Board, or else...
The Ouija Board is no longer guaranteed on Nightmare, due to the new Cursed Possessions and ghost identity changes.
The Ouija Board will no longer have a chance to fail questions.
The Ouija Board will no longer play an additional sound when spelling double letters.
The total number of Ouija Board spawn points have been reduced on Prison, Asylum and High School.
You can read more information in the Journal, under the new Items / Cursed Possessions section.

GHOST IDENTITIES
Nightmare has been a successful addition to Phasmophobia, but we’ve all found some ghosts are just too hard to identify with only two evidences.
We never intended for Nightmare to be a guessing game, so to combat this, some ghost types have received new abilities, passives and other adjustments to make them feel more in line with their journal descriptions, and most recently added ghosts.

(several ghosts listed with vague descriptions of their abilities, biggest change is the Banshee's ability to hunt at any % has been moved to the demon, see link above for details)

NEW
  • For the duration of the holiday period, Maple Campsite weather will always be snowing, and has received new seasonal decorations.
  • The Mimic. The most intriguing ghost type we’ve ever encountered. More information is available in the journal.
  • Two new tabs have been added the journal for easier navigation: Home and Items.
  • Several questions have been added to the Ouija board, such as "how did you die?".
  • Almost every object has had its impact sounds replaced to match its material.
  • New sounds have been added for player footsteps while sprinting on different surfaces.
  • All large rugs and floor mats now have collision.

CHANGES
  • Several scripts, Maple Campsite assets and the weather system have been optimised heavily to help with performance.
  • All ghosts can now throw objects during hunts, similarly to how they currently open doors.
  • All ghosts, except Yokais, can now hear your voice from further away.
  • Ghosts will no longer be able to wander long paths when setting waypoints through walls (e.g., Campsite black tent to storage tents) and will choose another closer waypoint.
  • You can no longer quickly escape through the exterior doors or gates when a hunt starts.
  • The ghost will now always write in a ghost-writing book after throwing it (if it’s the correct evidence type), except during hunts.
  • You must now take interaction photos of the object that was thrown, instead of where the object was before the ghost moved it.
  • Hunting effects on cameras have been adjusted.
  • Ghosts refreshing fingerprints will now allow you to take an additional photo (e.g., touching the same door twice).
  • Ghosts flickering lights will now be based on the distance to the light itself, instead of the light switch.
  • Footstep sounds are now more accurately synchronised with player and ghost movement speed.
  • The Heartbeat sound’s volume is now based on the distance from the ghost, getting louder the closer it is.
  • Hunting ghost sounds will now fade out instead of abruptly stopping.
  • Increased the frequency of Paranormal sounds picked up by the Parabolic Mic.

And then a bunch of bugfixes

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 10, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm pretty hyped for some of these changes, including now being able to tell ghost events from hunts now. The changes to various ghost types are very interesting though, it's fascinating finding out that Banshees had the 'randomly hunt at any sanity' ability and not Demons before.

But really I am down for the new cursed possessions.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah I'm super stoked to play with all the cursed possessions and try them out (probably gonna do some runs with minimal equipment cuz I foresee dying a lot while playing with these)

The banshee thing was neat and unique in the early versions of the game, but yeah at this point it def makes more sense on the demon

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hell, I assumed the Banshee thing was only if its target was around it for too long. There's so much anecdotal information that I'd love for a way to find out rare abilities in game instead of just word of mouth, but I appreciate Phasmophobia is relatively obtuse to go with the theme of supernatural ghost spooky things.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I have a friend who is having impossible level problems to get his mic to work in game. It has worked in the past but now it doesn't seem to recognize it. Has anyone else struggled to get your mic to be recognized in game (and hopefully solved the problem)?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've only had occasional issues where the game wouldn't recognize my mic, but in my case a simple game restart or machine reboot fixed it. I'm assuming your friend has already tried these, in which case I'd say maybe try a reinstall of the game, then a reinstall of their mic/sound drivers. If none of those fix it then it could be a hardware thing

e: do other games and applications have issues with the mic or is it just Phasmo?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Best bet would be checking the official discord or the steam group discussions for general mic issue trouble shooting solutions they have up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The main problem I have discovered with the mic is that it reliably stops working if you alt-tab out of the game and back in. You can still alt-tab out, but to return to the game without breaking the microphone, you have to click the game icon on the taskbar. I assume that your friend is tabbing back and forth a lot while trying to fix his mic, so maybe try that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

left clicking back into the game window suffices for me at least, generally haven't run into the issue of alt tabbing causing problems though. It could range from having to fiddle with your default mic windows chooses to windows having mic exclusivity enabled, or something more esoteric.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Evil Kit posted:

Hell, I assumed the Banshee thing was only if its target was around it for too long. There's so much anecdotal information that I'd love for a way to find out rare abilities in game instead of just word of mouth, but I appreciate Phasmophobia is relatively obtuse to go with the theme of supernatural ghost spooky things.

Because the ghost is invisible and the behavior can only be seen (and intentionally triggered) when cheating to make the ghost visible, the Banshee's old behavior was almost completely unknown and almost never happened.

The Banshee would select one of the players as a target. While that player was in the house, one of the random behavior checks for the Banshee would be to teleport to that player. Then, after a short period, the Banshee would check for line of sight to that player. If the Banshee did NOT have line of sight to that player, a hunt would immediately trigger.

The issues preventing this behavior from happening and being visible might be obvious, in retrospect - the window for the hunt to be triggered was fairly small and specific, there's no clues or information indicating that any person has been targeted or the ghost has jumped to them and wants to keep them in sight, and players spend very little time moving around in such a way that line of sight to the ghost would be broken. Unless everything lined up just right, typically what would happen is the ghost would jump onto their target, who was investigating a room for clues or signs, and then go away after a few moments because the player wasn't moving around the house at that exact moment.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Olesh posted:

Because the ghost is invisible and the behavior can only be seen (and intentionally triggered) when cheating to make the ghost visible, the Banshee's old behavior was almost completely unknown and almost never happened.

The Banshee would select one of the players as a target. While that player was in the house, one of the random behavior checks for the Banshee would be to teleport to that player. Then, after a short period, the Banshee would check for line of sight to that player. If the Banshee did NOT have line of sight to that player, a hunt would immediately trigger.

The issues preventing this behavior from happening and being visible might be obvious, in retrospect - the window for the hunt to be triggered was fairly small and specific, there's no clues or information indicating that any person has been targeted or the ghost has jumped to them and wants to keep them in sight, and players spend very little time moving around in such a way that line of sight to the ghost would be broken. Unless everything lined up just right, typically what would happen is the ghost would jump onto their target, who was investigating a room for clues or signs, and then go away after a few moments because the player wasn't moving around the house at that exact moment.

that is so loving weird and specific and you'd have absolutely zero way to figure out that was happening in game without cheating, as you mentioned. It's kind of cool on a certain level, but so invisible it really didn't add much, I wonder what other crazy poo poo you'd never be able to see happens with other ghost types.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone used a cursed possession yet? I tried two rounds before work today and didn't find any to play with.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

been waiting to play with the usual goon group tonight when folks are free, haven't poked in solo myself yet either.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

how the hell do u find the ghost room in the campsite? Ive tried half a dozen times and ive never gotten close. Really hate that map right now

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

how the hell do u find the ghost room in the campsite? Ive tried half a dozen times and ive never gotten close. Really hate that map right now

It's kinda tough, I'm still learning it myself, but it seems in addition to each individual tent counting as a room (including things like the big open cooking tents), the outside areas and corridors are split up oddly. Like one time the "ghost room" was the area right between the bathrooms and the tent next to the bathroom, but only on that side not the other side of the building. The footpaths going through the campsite are chopped up into sections that I haven't quite figured out yet too.

Mainly what my partner and I do is turn on the power, use the parabolic mic to try and narrow down a general location, then use the thermometer to confirm the ghost location (ghost temps vary but are usually between 0.1-5.0 for non-freezing ghosts, anywhere you find low temps and a single small spot below 3.0 it's def the ghost). You can also get lucky if you're running around with a video camera and see a ghost orb, I've located the ghost real quick that way several times, though it's not my primary strategy

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Any kind of hallway/corridor ghost sucks, and unfortunately campsite is a lot of "hallways". I like the aesthetic but not having a labelled map you can look at really makes it difficult. My best attempts have been using sound sensors to figure out area names and where they start/finish.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think you can keep poking the voodoo doll in the truck. Not sure if it still provokes the ghost but someone got hunted on while I was fidgeting with the doll in the truck lol. Might be coincidence, might not.

The mirror is really cool, and I like the revamped oujia board. Not sure how you're supposed to gauge your sanity without a Oujia board on nightmare though, since it's not a guaranteed spawn anymore.

I haven't gotten to try the Tarot Cards or Music Box yet. Eagerly looking forward to it.

I also like the new smoke effects and revamped footsteps. Also their front door fix appears to prevent most cheesing strategies regarding doors. Seems like they just spawn an invisible wall on the front door during a hunt now, and also you can't hide behind a closet door anymore on Tanglewood.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

set up sound sensors. you need all 4 for this map.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So we just found the music box on one of the road houses. Buddy opened it/turned it on? and Kris Kringle ghost immediately starts stalking around, fully visible RIGHT in front of us. We're standing outside, the door is full on open, and for one shining moment, I am terrified that motherfucker is going to come murder me on the porch. Didn't, but goddamn did I expect it to happen!

And then we found tarot cards. I drew a couple, dunno what they do. Then I draw the Hanged Man, again standing basically on the porch. Back off as soon as I draw, and I am killed in the street by the ghost, lmao

10/10, would ghost again

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

That sounds amazing

Also, with regards to The Mimic: does it just copy the haunting conditions of other ghosts, or can it copy the appearance of players, too?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
To my understanding, the Mimic only copies characteristics of other ghosts. Not players.

Anyways, I found my first tarot deck. Let the pubbie use it first and he draws Death. It goes about as well as you'd think. Then I pick up the deck thinking that I couldn't possibly also draw Death right after. What would be the odds? Guess what happened.

The only one I haven't found yet is the Music Box.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

We actually got the Mimic, and I can't say I noticed too much different (then again, we were playing on Amateur to try and find and understand the new cursed posessions). We actually got 2/3 evidence narrowed down, and then saw some ghost orbs on a camera when the other two ghosts did not have that as evidence, so we all got really excited. Unfortunately, nothing really came of it. We did find a potato in Tanglewood, though!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Wait is there a cursed potato?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Wait is there a cursed potato?

Not a literal potato, there's a cursed object called the Hot Potato which can be any object on the map that can be picked up. If you happen to pick it up, ghostly music will start playing and you have to pass the object from player to player to make it stop. If the music gets too loud or goes on too long, a hunt starts, and if you're holding the Potato (or are the last one to have touched it) you will be the guaranteed target of the hunt.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I dunno about the rest, but ours was a potato. With a face...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
most likely a reference to Psycho who does a lot of phasmo streamds and youtube content

e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB3Wl_3xIq4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
YT dropped these in my recommends and they were pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYoP274xOKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78VNVcHH_ek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

We finally found the new Ouija board! Got a pretty dostinct re-design. But... How do you actually use it? It no longer lights up to let you know that it's "listening", and nothing I asked got any responses, until something I said obviously pissed it off. It suddenly had glowy red handprints appear all over it, a hunt started, and given that the ghost's room was directly next to the door where I was trying this out, well, I did make over six hundo in insurance that run...