Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

He did also vomit up a bat, and was like "Hey that mountain looks familiar." It wasn't just going full Juggernaut on a door.

I do agree he's been a little too underplayed so far though. I wonder what non-readers will think on future rewatches though; going back and knowing who Rand is will add weight to the foreshadowing with Thom and the dead Aiel, the mountain recognition, the door etc.

Is it this week we find out he's the one, or next week?

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the bat thing lol. The mountain recognition is definitely foreshadowing, but up till that point I don't believe they'd talked about Dragonmount at all so it feels like one of those things that only book readers would recognize as such? Which I suppose means its effective! When I was a kid I remember the first time I reread eye of the world I was like "Oh man look at all these references hinting at Rand the whole time," so maybe TV only viewers will have the same experience

I'm pretty sure it'll be next week. This week's episode is probably the ways and going through the history of LTT, which will set up for next week the realization that Rand is the one and inherits that legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The Waygate requires channeling because the main character Moiraine is played by famous actress and producer Rosamund Pike.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think it's gotta be this week, complete flashback to Tam at the blood snow, winter night talk from fevered Tam, the works. Then you have next week to deal with what that means and the big blowout with Forsaken, Tarwin's Gap, etc

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Lord Bude posted:

Obviously this is a joke but Jordan's style was to describe everything in minute detail

And Tolkien didn't?????

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I too wish they would have been given budget for like 12-16 hour-long episodes in a season, but… they weren’t? I’m pretty content with the choices they’ve made to preserve the soul of the show while not making a word for word adaptation.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Skyl3lazer posted:

And Tolkien didn't?????

Not to Jordan’s extent no.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gwaihir posted:

I think it's gotta be this week, complete flashback to Tam at the blood snow, winter night talk from fevered Tam, the works. Then you have next week to deal with what that means and the big blowout with Forsaken, Tarwin's Gap, etc

That's my assumption yeah.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope the Green Man doesn't get Bombadiled.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure he will.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

withak posted:

I think they will rework the whole Eye of The World, feels weird even in the books given what happens in the later books. Would not mind if they make it much more fitting to the series as a whole.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

withak posted:

Does the Green Man come back later?

I know I've read all the books (except the final two) multiple times, but I literally don't remember anything about the green man other than there being the whole garden thing that's the setup for the forsaken fight and.. nothing else really? Probably a safe cut I'd think

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

He can't come back because he dies at the end of the Eye of the World? Loial sings him into a tree?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I know I've read all the books (except the final two) multiple times, but I literally don't remember anything about the green man other than there being the whole garden thing that's the setup for the forsaken fight and.. nothing else really? Probably a safe cut I'd think

only "later" in the sense that a much-earlier version of the green man appears in a flashback later in the books

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gwaihir posted:

according to the publicly available brief descriptions of episodes that have been out since launch (barring episode 8), this week's episode is when we learn who the dragon is

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Elvis_Maximus posted:

He appears in one of the memories that Rand sees in Rhudiean, when the Aes Sedai task him with looking after the Eye and the box with the seal, Horn, and Dragon Banner

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah and a bunch of the other green man beings are around in the AoL flashbacks too right? Or am I making that up

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

El Grillo posted:

Yeah and a bunch of the other green man beings are around in the AoL flashbacks too right? Or am I making that up

I think Someshta is the only one who's there at the seedsinging, but internal monologue suggests that there would be one at each field.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

El Grillo posted:

AFAIK Someshta is the one seen in both Age of Legends flashbacks and apparently the head of a different one shows up in the River of Souls short story, which I still need to track down and read at some point.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

El Grillo posted:

Yeah, you see them doing a seed ceremony with some Oiger and Aiel.

I think the only time the Nym are mentioned after that is when we finally get to hear about some of Demodred's adventures in Shara during the River of Souls short story and learn one had been reduced to a still living head and guarding half of the super powerful Sa'angreal he spent his time chasing down before he destroyed it.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

El Grillo posted:

Yep - in the scenes where they are singing to the crops

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Elvis_Maximus posted:

he shows in rand's rhuidean flashback

yeah, he could be easily removed

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Andoman posted:

Yep - in the scenes where they are singing to the crops

They could've easily had a poignant message about climate change by incorporating the Nym

So much for the Woke of Time :pressf:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

You know, I was pretty sad no one tried to recreate the Nym toward the end of the series. Or Chora trees.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Most of the changes are because of the limitations of a television show and the fact that a television show has to show, not tell.

Logain's increased prominence is because they had to show why it's a bad thing for a man to be able to channel.

Stepin exists to explain the warder bond's importance so that Lan doesn't look like too much of an rear end in a top hat when he turns down Nynaeve.

Thom's changes are because you can't introduce too many characters at once and there wasn't room for him in the running time of the opening episodes.

Baerlon was cut for time.

Going to Tar Valon rather than Caemlyn is because it's easier storytelling to just have Moiraine shout "everyone to Tar Valon!" than to explain the geography of everyone's routes, and they needed recurring reusable sets for later seasons to keep the budget down and Tar Valon is an easier central hub, and because there wasn't time in the season to introduce the Caemlyn characters, and because you can't cast actors for roles a season early and there isn't much for Elayne to do yet.

Honestly if youre cutting there are scenes upon scenes so far in these 6 episodes that could have been elided or cut. I am honestly a little bewildered by the show's insistence on focusing on side character. Even Siuane's origin story, while a good idea, could have been cut or elided. Did that justify that much dialogue when the main characters, and esp, Rand, are basic sketches?

Its in a weird netherworld between prestige TV and what is essentially, in the first book, is a LoTR ripoff. I think they overthought what should be an essentially an adventure story.

Still like the show because I am even more bewildered there is a WOT TV show. I hope in the second season they iron out their process, perhaps listen to less notes, and get to the meat of this story, which is politicking and a modernist revision of the classic good v bad story.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Shageletic posted:

I think they overthought what should be an essentially an adventure story.

I hope in the second season they iron out their process, perhaps listen to less notes, and get to the meat of this story, which is politicking and a modernist revision of the classic good v bad story.

Sanderson had an interview posted a few days ago where he addresses this. Basically everyone involved in the show understands the two sentences I quoted above. Rather than having the first season or two be one show and then change into another, they chose to change the basic adventure story (books 1-3) to more resemble the meat of the story (books 4-7).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Shageletic posted:

I think they overthought what should be an essentially an adventure story.

I hope in the second season they iron out their process, perhaps listen to less notes, and get to the meat of this story, which is politicking and a modernist revision of the classic good v bad story.

Sanderson had an interview posted a few days ago where he addresses this. Basically everyone involved in the show understands the two sentences I quoted above. Rather than having the first season or two be one show and then change into another, they chose to change the basic adventure story (books 1-3) to more resemble the meat of the story (books 4-7).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

wtf why did it post twice...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

wtf why did it post twice...

cuz YOU'RE ALL DAY

Interesting thought. Yeah def feels like learning pangs on a really shortened time frame. What gives me hope is that the politicking sections of the show are great (ep6 hello), and there is a good feel of the stakes and dangers involved.

but no more side character bits taking up a 1/3 of the episode! I just realized that was some of the worst parts of Jordan's writing lol.

You've only got so many episodes, and you've gotta get people to bond to these characters.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I'm really curious to see the non book reader reaction to Rand being the DR (unless they change this to the 5 headed dragon thing which in that case I'll be glued to r/whitecloaks soaking up more schadenfreude than I can handle. I'll be like Colin Robinson x100) since we haven't spent much time at all developing him or hinting that he's the guy.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Rafe mentioned in, I think the AMA, that they weren't changing who the dragon reborn is. The leaks confirm this, I know that is a show spoiler I guess, but it's also true to the book so I don't know if I should spoiler this stuff.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

buffalo all day posted:

Got a link? I can't find this interview.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

El Grillo posted:

Got a link? I can't find this interview.

If it's the one I believe Buffalo is referencing, it's this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnbmku3lFmg

coathat
May 21, 2007

The ending of episode six would be funny if it were like in the books because they’d just open the waygate back up and lan would march Matt back with them.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks.
Anyone know what's up with him signing bits of paper, they look like scripts?? Seems somewhat bizarre to be doing while you're in a studio of some sort doing an interview/discussion thing.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

El Grillo posted:

Thanks.
Anyone know what's up with him signing bits of paper, they look like scripts?? Seems somewhat bizarre to be doing while you're in a studio of some sort doing an interview/discussion thing.

I think it's the cover page of his next book, that was definitely my reaction too though

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Massive changes aren't happening, everything thus far has been contextual/mechanical to help show viewers alone grasp the setting. (prime characters aren't getting cut, key players might be combined but their plot threads aren't going away).

I agree it would have benefitted from a longer allowance of screen time (I think I can agree with Rafe, that an extra episode or two would help a lot), but it is what it is. As well there is frankly a lot of ground that's repeated in EotW that they've condensed which misses our chances to know the characters more, but who really would be excited about extended shots of Mat and Rand on a road talking to yet another farmer?

I just think EotW has to be gotten through, and this second season on should be a much better example of how it's going to be since this setup just has to be done and as many have noted it's not the most original place to start. IMO it's better to get through that with everyone established so the fun/interesting stuff can get the time it really needs to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

El Grillo posted:

Thanks.

He's signing front pages for a book, I think Warbreaker -- you can tell by the way they're folded, that's how book pages are printed, in big sheets like that four pages to a sheet.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Massive changes aren't happening, everything thus far has been contextual/mechanical to help show viewers alone grasp the setting. (prime characters aren't getting cut, key players might be combined but their plot threads aren't going away).
The showrunners and Brandon Sanderson have literally gone out of their way multiple times to say that it's not intended to be a very faithful adaptation.

buffalo all day posted:

I think it's the cover page of his next book, that was definitely my reaction too though
Ah ok it's like an insert

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's signing front pages for a book, I think Warbreaker -- you can tell by the way they're folded, that's how book pages are printed, in big sheets like that four pages to a sheet.

To add to this, it's his own podcast so it's pretty much fair game for him to knock out some mundane task while he does it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Spending a huge chunk of time diverging on side characters is literally the most Robert Jordan thing the show could possibly do