Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Russ has his preliminary thoughts out on the RG552

https://youtu.be/daHLELTAn9E
A 50 minute video on this, Russ is a BEAST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

GameCube nigh unplayable. Expected but :smith:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dat fuckin screen :swoon:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's hosed up that russ called mega man x mega man ten

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Final fantasy ecks and final fantasy ecks two

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Analog Pocket reviews are going up all over. Embargo must have dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Qy-H7H6og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro9QQrTOnT0

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hell yeah the MUB rules and is a loving bargain. Everyone get a MUB.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Analog Pocket reviews are going up all over. Embargo must have dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew91PeRy-ro

That faux LCD pixel grid is real nice on gameboy games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyLeCQ3IENo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6l5fAbcim0

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 13, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I can’t watch any of these until later tonight. What seems to be the verdict? Same as always — it’s really nice, but its downfalls are mostly found in the OS or something like that?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

yeah i just watched MVG's review of the analogue pocket and you can't stop me from spending $300 $400. I need a dock now too.

otter fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 13, 2021

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

I can’t watch any of these until later tonight. What seems to be the verdict? Same as always — it’s really nice, but its downfalls are mostly found in the OS or something like that?

For the Analogue? Nah, it's a FPGA, the hardware can change to be a physical emulation of any of the supported systems. Only carts for now though, they don't include rom support, but supposedly it's something the homebrew community added to their previous offerings, and being a FPGA it shouldn't be that big of a deal to add. If you want to play GB, GBC, GBA, or Game Gear though, it's The One To Get (if you are okay waiting until 2023 now to get one)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

The verdict has been overwhelming positive between the videos I've watched so far, (DF, GameXplain, MLIG).

So far the negatives:

Sleep mode doesn't work if you're using an Everdrive/flash cart.

Only one save state available right now.

GBA screen mode isn't *perfect* but John Linneman at DF says it's still the best GBA screen he's ever used.

Dock is missing a lot of features that are coming to a firmware. No DAC support yet. Seems to add an extra frame at points.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Re: the Pocket reviews, have any mentioned if they tried them with any USB-C dock/adapter other than the official one? The official one seems nice, but I'm curious if it'll work with the kind of generic travel dock/HDMI adapter I already have for my Switch and iPad.

beep-beep car is go posted:

it's The One To Get (if you are okay waiting until 2023 now to get one)

I just checked my receipt and the original preorders happened in Aug 2020, which is now further away from today than January 2023. I get that this is unprecedented times for supply chain disruptions, but my goodness

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

Re: the Pocket reviews, have any mentioned if they tried them with any USB-C dock/adapter other than the official one? The official one seems nice, but I'm curious if it'll work with the kind of generic travel dock/HDMI adapter I already have for my Switch and iPad.

None of them have, but Analogue usually keeps their products proprietary so I don't think they would work.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sleep mode doesn't work if you're using an Everdrive/flash cart.

Only one save state available right now.

:knope:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Maybe I'm just underestimating the value of FPGA and the super nice screen, but like just buy any other retro handheld for significantly less money and likely very little difference in play experience? I guess that doesn't let you use physical carts which admittedly a fun nostalgia gimmick but that also will get annoying fast (especially when needing to spend $90 on extra adapters to play everything)

Maybe my brain's broken idk

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Maybe I'm just underestimating the value of FPGA and the super nice screen, but like just buy any other retro handheld for significantly less money and likely very little difference in play experience? I guess that doesn't let you use physical carts which admittedly a fun nostalgia gimmick but that also will get annoying fast (especially when needing to spend $90 on extra adapters to play everything)

This thing is for a very specific group of people.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

For sure. It’s for the rarified air of cartridge sickos. Personally, I’m growing grey waiting for my RP2+

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
if nothing else, that screen seems great

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

MarcusSA posted:

As the product is officially sold today, doing exactly what it says on the tin and no more: yes, this is a niche device for a very specific audience (people who want to play old handheld cartridge games on premium hardware that strikes a balance between playing on original hardware and adding modern features). If you don't have a stack of old cartridges and/or aren't extremely picky about screen quality and emulation accuracy, the Pocket is not worth it.

If the Pocket turns into the product that some hope it will become (it is jailbroken in short order just like all of Analogue's earlier offerings, allowing people to load up an SD card with ROMs for all the classic handheld systems, and maybe even for non-handheld consoles up to the 16-bit era), it gets a hell of a lot more compelling. The trick is that there is no guarantee that this will happen, so if you preorder it tomorrow, you're taking a risk that all you'll get is a very fancy Gameboy/Game Gear/Lynx/Neo Geo Pocket, rather than a premium replacement for your Anbernic handhelds and whatnot.

Personally, I preordered one hoping that it gets jailbroken but will be content if it just does what it says on the tin. Yes my brain is definitely broken, but let he who has not spent hundreds of dollars chasing after the perfect retro gaming device/accessory cast the first stone

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Even if it doesn't get jailbroken, supply is so limited that you'll probably be able to flip it for more than you paid

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Yep. These shots either make you :eyepop: or not (from the DF video)

Manky fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 13, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw I was reading another thread and it was mentioned that this thing might not have enough cores to fully run SNES games.

It will probably do an ok job it just won’t be perfect.

This seems like one hell of a device that I wish I had a use for lol.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Manky posted:

Yep. These shots either make you :eyepop: or not (from the DF video)

0/10 not washed out enough.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw I was reading another thread and it was mentioned that this thing might not have enough cores to fully run SNES games.

It will probably do an ok job it just won’t be perfect.

This seems like one hell of a device that I wish I had a use for lol.

It's going to depend. Going based on the jailbreak on the Super NT, it won't have 100% compatibility. Since SNES cartridges often had their own variety of enhancement chips, the FPGA would have to emulate the SNES processor and the enhancement chips. The jailbreak started out not being able to do that, but as time went on, they were able to get the core to emulate some more. This is why even with a Super NT, it's still a good idea to get an FXPAK Pro, which has its own FPGA chip to emulate those enhancement chips (at this point, there's less than ten retail games it can't run) I distinctly remember the jailbreak not being able to run Mega Man X2 and X3 when it first came out but a year or two later the newest update runs just fine.

I definitely wouldn't buy a Pocket with the expectation of playing NES/SNES/Genesis/etc, but will consider it a boon in case it does.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Got email confirmation the RP2+ PCB preorder is finally getting shipped, but the 4PX tracking website is confusing and I can't seem to get concrete details about it from there just yet. I picked the cheapest shipping option when I bought it, I hope that doesn't mean it'll get here spring or later. Fingers crossed they fixed the rubberized contacts issue and the UI works fine without the additional touch screen upgrade.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you’re in the states GoRetroid did this weird thing where you could add shipping options as a separate product. It’s what got my RP2 on a DHL truck.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Got my order in. Got the Pocket, dock, screen protector, hard case, and a link cable. Here’s hoping I’m in Q1 2022, but I was definitely in line to check out right at 9 and was able to place the order 5 minutes later.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

so i was in at 8am to preorder. took until 808.
spent $400 on the pocket, the dock, the case, and the game gear adapter.
See ya in 2023, $400 magic unit...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I placed an order for a dock only and I’m in the 101,000s. I was there at 8:00.

There are confirmed orders in the 85,000s, so it looks like they sold quite a few items today.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Chemmy posted:

There are confirmed orders in the 85,000s, so it looks like they sold quite a few items today.

Is it 85000 or 8500? I'm in the 10000 and would be kinda surprised if I'm in that early. Maybe not, I did get there almost immediately.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Chemmy posted:

104xxx here.
i know im spoiled by amazon but $$2 shipping felt insulting.

Does anyone know if they are going to charge the card before it ships?
Polymega did that. I am not a huge fan of companies who take your money, make interest off it and then don't send you poo poo until a year later.
still not cancelling either order.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I ordered a Pocket the first time they went on sale and you better believe your card is getting charged today.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is it 85000 or 8500? I'm in the 10000 and would be kinda surprised if I'm in that early. Maybe not, I did get there almost immediately.

Re-read your email? The original August orders are in the 45,000 - 55,000 range, and everyone on Reddit is in the 85,000 - 115,000 range right now.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah I meant 100,000 - whoops.

I’m right at the front of it, so hopefully the cut off isn’t close to where I am.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Chemmy posted:

Re-read your email? The original August orders are in the 45,000 - 55,000 range, and everyone on Reddit is in the 85,000 - 115,000 range right now.

this actually makes me feel better.
I was thinking i was behind 104,000 other people for today.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Chemmy posted:

I placed an order for a dock and Game Gear adapter only, but I farted around with my credit card for a bit and wound up with a 112xxx order. I wonder if accessory-only orders are going to move any more quickly or if those will drag out until 2023 as well.

(For comparison, my Aug 2020 white Pocket order was #47xxx, got a tracking number late last night.)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I placed an order for a dock and Game Gear adapter only, but I farted around with my credit card for a bit and wound up with a 112xxx order. I wonder if accessory-only orders are going to move any more quickly or if those will drag out until 2023 as well.

(For comparison, my Aug 2020 white Pocket order was #47xxx, got a tracking number late last night.)
Boo, you whore. I'm jealous.
Their cart system is frankly less than fabulous. The reason it took me so long to get the whole thing is while I was adding items to the cart it kept saying "your cart is empty" and I had to fully refresh the whole page before it would let me add in for real. Oh well. It's still cheap compared to the stupid stereo/climate control/backup camera display/navigation/sno-cone maker in my car I have to replace.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blotto_Otter posted:

I'm #50XXX and haven't got my tracking number yet. Sad times for this patient gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Hell yeah the MUB rules and is a loving bargain. Everyone get a MUB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR7WWSh89sA