Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mederlock posted:

Did it work before and only recently start having this issue? Are you using the stock cartridge that came with the turntable? Are you 100% sure the phono preamp is actually getting power?

Honestly i can’t remember.

Yeah it’s an ortofon red.

It’s all plugged in and everything and it seems like it’s powered. I’ll try jumping past the preamp and seeing if volume level is the same, then I’ll know that is the problem right? :)

Thanks man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Honestly i can’t remember.

Yeah it’s an ortofon red.

It’s all plugged in and everything and it seems like it’s powered. I’ll try jumping past the preamp and seeing if volume level is the same, then I’ll know that is the problem right? :)

Thanks man!

Yeah, exactly what I was going to recommend! :P It kind of sounds like your receiver is only picking up the phono signal straight from the cartridge, without the preamp doing its job

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah you’re right. The preamp is dead. Annoying!

Shall I buy a Cambridge audio duo? It looks nice and seems to get very good reviews. I want something I can just plug in and work forever.

E: found a deal on a Rega fono mm mk3 and had that instead :)

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 6, 2021

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Local thrift store has a set of Dahlquist DQ 10s for sale for like $500. Too rich for my blood but they look cool.

Random Google pic for reference.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Thumposaurus posted:

Local thrift store has a set of Dahlquist DQ 10s for sale for like $500. Too rich for my blood but they look cool.

I would be tempted but I don’t have anything big enough to drive them (that isn’t broken). I thought those were like magnepans at first but they’re just 5 way speakers. Very cool.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What do you guys do for static reduction? We're getting into winter now which means a lot of static in my dry climate, and I'm getting to the point where my records are lifting up the rubber pad on the turntable platter when I pull the record off. On some of them I can even hear staticky pops when I'm playing the record. I use a spin clean with a sorta homebrew cleaning solution, I use microfiber towels to dry them (lay it on one towel and press from above with the other to dry, let them air dry in a rack and then put them in new plastic lined paper sleeve when I get them from the thrift stores/hifi store 1$ an LP bin. I also use an allegedly "antistatic" carbon fiber brush to get the dust off before I play a record too....

Despite all of that I still have this massive static issue. Halp

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 13, 2021

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mederlock posted:

What do you guys do for static reduction? We're getting into winter now which means a lot of static in my dry climate, and I'm getting to the point where my records are lifting up the rubber pad on the turntable platter when I pull the record off. On some of them I can even hear staticky pops when I'm playing the record. I use a spin clean with a sorta homebrew cleaning solution, I use microfiber towels to dry them (lay it on one towel and press from above with the other to dry, let them air dry in a rack and then put them in new plastic lined paper sleeve when I get them from the thrift stores/hifi store 1$ an LP bin. I also use an allegedly "antistatic) carbon fiber brush to get the dust off before I play a record too....

Despite all of that I still have this massive static issue. Halp

Humidifier(s)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

People swear by carbon fibre brushes. Apparently if you hold/use them the right way, you can discharge all of the static into the ground wire. You can even get brushes with a wire that connects to the ground terminal to make it easier

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

polyester concept posted:

People swear by carbon fibre brushes. Apparently if you hold/use them the right way, you can discharge all of the static into the ground wire. You can even get brushes with a wire that connects to the ground terminal to make it easier

Yeah, I have one with "gold-plated" finger contacts and I hold onto the ground wire with my other hand when I use it. Maybe I should rig up a simple wire to the contacts and put it on the ground post and see if that works better... But so far I have not seen the improvement

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Thumposaurus posted:

I'd be down there trying to haggle pretty much immediately, if all 10 drivers work and they're not tired looking they're worth $500 all day and you could make a few bucks flipping them on Reverb if you don't end up liking them. They're def one of those "classics" I'd like to have for a few months just to experience.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

After setting up that rega mm mk3 I couldn’t be happier. Sounds so so good.

Where would be the next area for improvement on this:

Project debut carbon
Ortefon Red
Acrylic platter
Centre weight
>
Rega MM Mk3
>
Sony DN1050
>
Monitor audio bronze 6s

Would it just be a new cartridge? Any recommendations?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Typically upgrading speakers will give you the biggest bang for your upgrade buck, if there are no obvious weak links in your system. I don't know anything about your home theater amp, but people don't typically use them for dedicated stereo systems

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Invest in your music collection :p

I don't see any areas to majorly improve on for awhile unless you wanted to upgrade the receiver to like, a nice Yamaha dedicated 2.1 receiver or something. If you find your cartridge leans a bit more in the treble (allegedly a common description for the Ortofon Red sound) than you like, there's lots of options for up/side-grades to warmer or more neutral sounding cartridges too, but your's is still a very good choice. And speakers are going to be the major upgrade path from there.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 2, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mederlock posted:

Invest in your music collection :p:
Yeah, enjoy what you've got for a while before you consider upgrading anything.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

my cats have been stressed with a lot of change and lack of attentiveness, and one pissed on my turntable (technics SL-6) :sigh:

Tell me this has happened to someone else? Lol

some seeped inside but doesn’t look like it got to the platter. It’s in the wiring and moving mechanisms though. Tempted to take it to to get professionally serviced, but might brave taking it apart myself to clean it

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

I'd be down there trying to haggle pretty much immediately, if all 10 drivers work and they're not tired looking they're worth $500 all day and you could make a few bucks flipping them on Reverb if you don't end up liking them. They're def one of those "classics" I'd like to have for a few months just to experience.

Stuff like this that they mark way to high sits around the place for awhile then they start marking it down.
Next time I'm in there I'll see what it's down to if they are still there and see.

I don't really "need" another set of speakers I've got a set of vintage JBL Century L-100s, and a set of Bose 501s that I got off the curb when someone was cleaning out an old house.

They'd definitely be interesting to hear in person.

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010
I'm looking at updating my old oneby1 unit, and I'm leaning towards a rega planar 1. I know I need either a separate pre-amp, or speakers with an on board pre-amp.

I have a very old Sharp XL-35 hifi which can accept external input, does anyone know if this would suit without me needing to buy anything additional?

There is a circuit diagram in the manual but I'm unclear how to read this. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1062732/Sharp-Xl-35.html?page=14#manual

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Does anyone have experience on learning to service hi-fi equipment without much or any technical background? I recently bought a Marantz 2215B online, but it’s untested so will need evaluation and maybe some work. I wouldn’t expect to solve more complex issues, but do plan to clean it up, spray some Deoxit on the contacts, and complete the LED upgrade. Would anyone caution against that or is that a good entry point for learning?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

JHomer722 posted:

Does anyone have experience on learning to service hi-fi equipment without much or any technical background? I recently bought a Marantz 2215B online, but it’s untested so will need evaluation and maybe some work. I wouldn’t expect to solve more complex issues, but do plan to clean it up, spray some Deoxit on the contacts, and complete the LED upgrade. Would anyone caution against that or is that a good entry point for learning?

That's a safe way to start tinkering, yes. That's how I started learning years ago, and I still haven't developed any skills beyond the things you mentioned. :v:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just be sure to not kill yourself with the stored energy in the caps. Read up lots on the safety guidelines

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Finally kinda finished up what I’ve been working towards for my sig other’s place for close to a year. Goal was nice sound, the odd record, airplay2, one remote functionality for watching tv and 4K 60fps pass through for UHD blurays. Very happy with how it all turned out.

For those that care;
-Pioneer Elite SX-S30 2.1 channel receiver
-PMC db1i bookshelf speakers
-Rel T zero sub (hidden)
-Kanto SX22 stands
-LG UBK80 UHD Blu ray
-NAD c558 turntable
-Couple records

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
A guy wanted to buy my Klipsch Heresys and then offered some cash and this turntable and I think I’m a little in love.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have one of these on the way: https://www.ttvjaudio.com/Dr-Feickert-Protractor-NG-p/drf0000001.htm

Has anyone in the thread used them? I've read such good things and hope I didn't make a horrible mistake!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I have one of these on the way: https://www.ttvjaudio.com/Dr-Feickert-Protractor-NG-p/drf0000001.htm

Has anyone in the thread used them? I've read such good things and hope I didn't make a horrible mistake!

Well, with a savings of $1.00, who could ever pass that up? What a bargain!

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Phonograph-Cartridge-Protractor-Separately/dp/B079ZBLJ4M

This is what I got, I did go a bit crazy and got the mirrored version which was about a dollar more.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I used a piece of paper and a 40+ year old shure force gage to set mine up…

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I mean I guess this is a good option if you don't have access to a printer.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

The Bandit posted:

I used a piece of paper and a 40+ year old shure force gage to set mine up…

It looks like it doesn't even have a stylus force gauge to so he'll need something else. Might I recommend this digital one for only $300.
https://www.musicdirect.com/accessories/Clearaudio-Weight-Watcher-Touch-Electronic-Stylus-Force-Gauge

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I’ve already got one of the OG Shure balance scales :-)

Also I’m aligning kinda-custom tables, like an Empire with an SME3009 arm so the flexibility seems like
It’ll be helpful.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why not just print a custom protractor on a piece of cardstock and save yourself the expense

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Why not just print a custom protractor on a piece of cardstock and save yourself the expense

I don’t trust my printer to scale things properly but maybe that’s just because I’m a grumpy old man who used to support printers and have a deep-seated mistrust of them.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I don’t trust my printer to scale things properly but maybe that’s just because I’m a grumpy old man who used to support printers and have a deep-seated mistrust of them.

The good ones print off x and y axis reference marks that you measure with a ruler to see if everything is scaled correctly, and then you adjust it in the tool again and reprint till it's right. Took me 3 prints and I got mine perfect. Total cost is 30¢ of ink and paper

Here's the tool https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=16849

Here's the calculator
https://www.vinylengine.com/tonearm_alignment_calculator_pro.php

And here's a guide

https://www.vinylengine.com/protractor-user-guide.shtml

E: Oh and also that tool can print off strobe discs so you can check if the RPM is correct and see if it needs adjustment.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 31, 2022

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Wait till the $250 $249 one comes and then trace it on a piece of paper, then return it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

wa27 posted:

Wait till the $250 $249 one comes and then trace it on a piece of paper, then return it.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Trip report to come, it’s scheduled to arrive Wednesday and I’ve got a fresh DL-301mk2 to install.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Make sure to get $500 banana plugs next.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Make sure to get $500 banana plugs next.

I couldn't even figure out how to find properly expensive ones so I guess I'll just link ones that I have. I like getting made fun of but I don't think these will do it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O3NTB28/

Here's the most expensive ones I could find in 5 seconds https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-1000-Banana-Plugs-Silver/dp/B01MTC37MN

Which reminded me that one of the only times I've had cables make a difference is when some stupid solid $650 AudioQuest cables (that came with used speakers I bought, I ain't no punk) that use plugs that look like this https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-SureGrip100-BFA-Banana-Connectors/dp/B00TQ1D5W4/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B00TQ1D5W4&psc=1 got replaced by some generic 12ga cables from Amazon and cleared up some weird issues.

I still use those stupid cables on my Magnepan woofer because it needs two pairs and makes me look like a baller audiophile, but really it's because I can't bring myself to sell them to some unsuspecting fool.

Thanks for reading my banana plug story.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I picked up a pair of Transparent banana cables for super cheap at some point.
I really don't know how much a difference they make though, because they are on the 50s JBLs and a Parasound Zamp hooked to a Alexa dot.

https://www.transparentcable.com/collections/analog-audio-speaker-cables

Just looked up the new stuff they have, some serious bs going on for the 70k set.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
I'm looking to upgrade my AT-LP120X to a ML stylus, and I can't figure out if I just need to get the stylus or replace the whole cartridge. Apparently the ML stylus is compatible with my current AT-VM95E cartridge, but if you buy the ML stylus bundled with a cartridge it comes with a AT-VM95ML cart. Basically trying to figure out which of these I should buy:

ML Stylus: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...07JL2NPH5&psc=1
or
ML Stylus + Cart: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...07JLYHFR9&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Bonxai posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my AT-LP120X to a ML stylus, and I can't figure out if I just need to get the stylus or replace the whole cartridge. Apparently the ML stylus is compatible with my current AT-VM95E cartridge, but if you buy the ML stylus bundled with a cartridge it comes with a AT-VM95ML cart. Basically trying to figure out which of these I should buy:

ML Stylus: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...07JL2NPH5&psc=1
or
ML Stylus + Cart: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...07JLYHFR9&psc=1

From audio Technica's website, All VM95 models have removable styli and the same body design, enabling vinyl enthusiasts to interchange and upgrade any VM95 cartridge with any VM95 stylus type.

So you're good with just the stylus.