Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Check state by state. In NJ there's no growing allowed at all.

right, do this because it's so heavily regulated and convoluted, almost as if a white power structure is breathing down your neck over it

Cabbages and Kings posted:

we're allowed to grow outdoors in an "enclosed, secured area". My enclosure is a wire garden fence, and my security is that I live on a dead end road on top of a mountain and there's no way to get onto the property without being on several cameras and tripping motion lights etc.

Lots of people just loving put 5 gallon pots in their front yard. Many of these people then get their plants stolen, almost invariably by young males who are addled by more serious drugs, and then we have this weird paradigm where actually these people are often identified because they're the people trying to sell obviously hacked-and-slashed-and-not-dried-well weed, and then they get their asses kicked and I hear muttering about it from the local acid weirdos. So, legal outdoor growing is a good part of our laws, idiots notwithstanding. A lot of the rest of it is stupid. Plant limits are dumb, I can pull a pound off a plant and I can pull a half pound total from 20 plants. We notably do not have weight limits, so I am allowed to possess any amount I've produced as long as it's "stored securely on sight". I can't transport more than an ounce at a time, of course, though, so if I want to give a quarter pound to a friend I am supposed to make 4 seperate trips.

Someone gave me a pound of old bud to dick with extracting recently, I pointed out that he should have made 16 trips, and we snickered.

Sorry to continue the weed derail, I will take it back to weed and pets. But, the point is, as far as cadmium (A THING WHICH MAY BE IN YOUR MARIJUANA! MANY SUCH CASES) poo poo goes, this industry is just as bad as any other except it has a history of being blackmarket, half the people in it cut their teeth in the blackmarket world and most of the other half are VC / Valley assholes, and they have been allowed to profiteer on an enjoyable and intoxicating substance some people find habit forming, so of course all of this is playing out in the most socially and environmentally toxic way I could have fathomed.

it's some quasi-capitalist "solution" to a market demand, insane poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

we're allowed to grow outdoors in an "enclosed, secured area". My enclosure is a wire garden fence, and my security is that I live on a dead end road on top of a mountain and there's no way to get onto the property without being on several cameras and tripping motion lights etc.

Lots of people just loving put 5 gallon pots in their front yard. Many of these people then get their plants stolen, almost invariably by young males who are addled by more serious drugs, and then we have this weird paradigm where actually these people are often identified because they're the people trying to sell obviously hacked-and-slashed-and-not-dried-well weed, and then they get their asses kicked and I hear muttering about it from the local acid weirdos. So, legal outdoor growing is a good part of our laws, idiots notwithstanding. A lot of the rest of it is stupid. Plant limits are dumb, I can pull a pound off a plant and I can pull a half pound total from 20 plants. We notably do not have weight limits, so I am allowed to possess any amount I've produced as long as it's "stored securely on sight". I can't transport more than an ounce at a time, of course, though, so if I want to give a quarter pound to a friend I am supposed to make 4 seperate trips.

Someone gave me a pound of old bud to dick with extracting recently, I pointed out that he should have made 16 trips, and we snickered.

Sorry to continue the weed derail, I will take it back to weed and pets. But, the point is, as far as cadmium (A THING WHICH MAY BE IN YOUR MARIJUANA! MANY SUCH CASES) poo poo goes, this industry is just as bad as any other except it has a history of being blackmarket, half the people in it cut their teeth in the blackmarket world and most of the other half are VC / Valley assholes, and they have been allowed to profiteer on an enjoyable and intoxicating substance some people find habit forming, so of course all of this is playing out in the most socially and environmentally toxic way I could have fathomed.

Just living in Vermont drinking from the teat of sugar bushes and hanging out with the "local acid weirdos" while defending my weed crop from roving gangs of junkies. Your life rules dude lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Lastgirl posted:

it's some quasi-capitalist "solution" to a market demand, insane poo poo.

the amount of pot I give away is only partially motivated by a desire to help people. That's the warm fuzzy feeling motivation.

It's also motived by a deeply held hatred of the legal cannabis industry, and a desire to see it fail miserably here. My little clique isn't nearly big enough to notably impact prices, but if I can keep locals from interacting with the marketplace at all, I am happy.

I was always grossed out by the illegal cannabis industry, in terms of "god knows what this was sprayed with", but there's no good reason for any of that bullshit to persist under a legalized framework. On the other hand, all our other agri processes at scale suck, so what was I expecting?

IAMKOREA posted:

Just living in Vermont drinking from the teat of sugar bushes and hanging out with the "local acid weirdos" while defending my weed crop from roving gangs of junkies. Your life rules dude lol

My only real complaint is tinnitus which loving sucks despite all these things :laugh: :cry:. Well, that, plus the death spiral we're all in, but, yea, as these things go, at the moment this is a good place to be to watch that happening.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Dec 13, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

IAMKOREA posted:

vermonters deal with f18 training flights loitering over their heads all day at a billion decibels so it balances out

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Real hurthling! posted:

vermonters deal with f18 training flights loitering over their heads all day at a billion decibels so it balances out

f35

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
f69

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
f420

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

splifyphus posted:

ok so I totally get that I was brinkposting recklessly and deserved the probe. for my own clarification, what is the difference between my incitement to violence, and this emoticon :killing:

cuz like, that's a real emoticon that this forum has, and it gets used a lot! kinda sets the tone.

And that's the difference. One is tone and one looks like direct incitement even if you were only speaking in a rhetorical fashion.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lady Militant posted:

everytime i try to show stuff like this to normal people they will dismiss you as a lunatic. we need an alternative to this "you need to accept a much lower standard of living than previous generations" poo poo cause it's not selling!

The answer, as is the answer to everything else, is war. War will come to us. She never left us. She's always been there for us.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It must suck going through life so spiritually dead that you think this way.

I say let the spliffyphus rant. 's all right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEXSeWYne3A

kater
Nov 16, 2010

how fucjin cold is your life that you can use frozen dirt as a foundation

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Real hurthling! posted:

only if they live within a pretty small slice of the state, where a disproportionate amount of people live but :lol: I actually moved up here and out as far as I did partially because of tinnitus and noise tolerance issues between both my spouse and I.

You get some gunfire and ATVs out here, of course, but that falls off a lot quicker than jet noise does and gets soaked up by trees pretty well.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

petit choux posted:

The answer, as is the answer to everything else, is war. War will come to us. She never left us. She's always been there for us.

The coming resource, refugee, food and water wars will reset our expectations around standard of living.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hmm, I wonder if there was something else compelling the United States to open up more domestic offshore drilling leases.

:thunk:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

splifyphus posted:

I salute the fully Enlightened One, the best of orators, who taught the doctrine of dependent origination, according to which, there is neither cessation nor orgination, neither annihilation nor the eternal, neither singularity nor plurality, neither the coming nor the going of any dharma, for the purpose of Nirvana characterized by the auspicious cessation of hypostatization.

:nice:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

splifyphus posted:

I salute the fully Enlightened One, the best of orators, who taught the doctrine of dependent origination, according to which, there is neither cessation nor orgination, neither annihilation nor the eternal, neither singularity nor plurality, neither the coming nor the going of any dharma, for the purpose of Nirvana characterized by the auspicious cessation of hypostatization.

i translated this as "turning your brain off" which sounds cool

im not fluent in sicko academia-speak though so idk

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
breaking on WaPo

Crucial Antarctic ice shelf could fail within five years, scientists say

quote:

Scientists have discovered a series of worrying weaknesses in the ice shelf holding back one of Antarctica’s most dangerous glaciers, suggesting that this important buttress against sea level rise could shatter within the next three to five years.

Until recently, the ice shelf was seen as the most stable part of Thwaites Glacier, a Florida-sized frozen expanse that already contributes about 4 percent of annual global sea level rise. Because of this brace, the eastern portion of Thwaites flowed more slowly than the rest of the notorious “doomsday glacier.”

But new data show that the warming ocean is eroding the eastern ice shelf from below. Satellite images taken as recently as last month and presented Monday at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union show several large, diagonal cracks extending across the floating ice wedge.

These weak spots are like cracks in a windshield, said Oregon State University glaciologist Erin Pettit. One more blow and they could spiderweb across the entire ice shelf surface.

“This eastern ice shelf is likely to shatter into hundreds of ice bergs,” she said. “Suddenly the whole thing would collapse.”

The failure of the shelf would not immediately accelerate global sea level rise. The shelf already floats on the ocean surface, taking up the same amount of space whether it is solid or liquid.

But when the shelf fails, the eastern third of Thwaites Glacier will triple in speed, spitting formerly landlocked ice into the sea. Total collapse of Thwaites could result in several feet of sea level rise, scientists say, endangering millions of people in coastal areas.

“It’s upwardly mobile in terms of how much ice it could put into the ocean in the future as these processes continue,” said Ted Scambos, a glaciologist at the University of Colorado, Boulder, and a leader of the International Thwaites Glacier Collaboration (ITGC). He spoke to reporters via Zoom from McMurdo Station on the coast of Antarctica, where he is awaiting a flight to his field site atop the crumbling ice shelf.

“Things are evolving really rapidly here,” Scambos added. “It’s daunting.”

Pettit and Scambo’s observations also show that the warming ocean is loosening the ice shelf’s grip on the underwater mountain that helps it act as a brace against the ice river at its back. Even if the fractures don’t cause the shelf to disintegrate, it is likely to become completely unmoored from the seafloor within the next decade.

Other researchers from the ITGC revealed chaos in the “grounding zone” where the land-bound portion of the glacier connects to the floating shelf that extends out over the sea. Ocean water there is hot, by Antarctic standards, and where it enters crevasses it can create “hotspots” of melting.

Without its protective ice shelf, scientists fear that Thwaites may become vulnerable to ice cliff collapse, a process in which towering walls of ice that directly overlook the ocean start to crumble into the sea.

This process hasn’t been observed in Antarctica. But “if it started instantiating it would become self-sustaining and cause quite a bit of retreat for certain glaciers” including Thwaites, said Anna Crawford, a glaciologist at the University of St. Andrews.

Models developed by Crawford suggest that Thwaites could exhibit this kind of runaway collapse, though it’s unlikely to happen in the immediate future.

“But what we’re seeing already is enough to be worried about,” she said. “Thwaites is kind of a monster.”

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’m sick with hyperpostingization too

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

have we considered freezing it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

news says 3-5 years? ok im pencilling in spring 2022 for glacier collapse in my pool

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

news says 3-5 years? ok im pencilling in spring 2022 for glacier collapse in my pool

no joke, i think we'll see some absolutely insane climate disasters next year. the kind of warm winter we've been having in north america should be incredibly alarming, but none of the media outlets have connected the dots yet. they're easily distracted with stuff like tornadoes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
some titebond iii and a couple irwin clamps will straighten that out. maybe set a pocket hole or two underneath.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

make a 10000 mile long zip tie and attach the ice to the rock
bonus: more plastic at sea.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Oooh that's neat, now do the East Antarctic Ice Shelf lol.

Anyway, 1m of SLR by 2060 and 3m by 2100. Lock it in.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like 150 feet above the river on a hill. come at me earth. you can get me this century if you try

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

i like 150 feet above the river on a hill. come at me earth. you can get me this century if you try

become the debris flow you wish to see in the world

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

If you're interested in the ongoing demise of Thwaites and PIG, the Arctic Sea Ice Forum stays extremely up to date on their continued disintegration.

Thwaites: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1760.0.html
PIG: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,429.0.html

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

don't worry guys I'm cracking my ice cube tray into the ocean rn so it should get cooler and stop the glaciers collapsing

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

I wonder if there are any models on the global tsunami produced if a mass worth 25 inches of sea-level rise collapses into the ocean all at once

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

If you're interested in the ongoing demise of Thwaites and PIG, the Arctic Sea Ice Forum stays extremely up to date on their continued disintegration.

Thwaites: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1760.0.html

oren posted:

Wow. This is extremely bad.

Ajpope85 posted:

The article feels kind of optimistically worded as well. I'm getting the creeping feeling that my fears of a modern day meltwater pulse in our lifetimes isn't so absurd.
:wow:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
water=good

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
'meltwater pulse', whilst meaningless to me as a layperson, rings with the same opaque foreboding as 'resonance cascade'

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

'meltwater pulse', whilst meaningless to me as a layperson, rings with the same opaque foreboding as 'resonance cascade'

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

It should. Imagine jamming a gigantic layer of cold but light (from a density perspective) freshwater as a cap on top of a system that depends on vertical pumping to cycle currents and nutrients.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

so this thread is complaining about how the oceans are acidifying and filled up with microplastics, but yet gaia comes up with a way to inject a bunch of clean water and you treat it like a bad thing???

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

human civilization literally suffocating the ocean critters from too much* water**! is insanely on brand

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

It's the kind of event that raises sea levels by 25m or more, and done on a natural cycle takes a couple centuries to play out. It'll be interesting to see how fast we can speedrun one.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Complications posted:

It's the kind of event that raises sea levels by 25m or more, and done on a natural cycle takes a couple centuries to play out. It'll be interesting to see how fast we can speedrun one.

Man, my homecountry is going to be completely underwater when that happens.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ssthalar posted:

Man, my homecountry is going to be completely underwater when that happens.

But there are also plenty of downsides.

Utskitet av kalkvatten.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Complications posted:

pft, twenty five milimeters aint nothin' :rolleye: ... just gonna assume you innocently dropped an 'm' there and take a biiig sip of coffee-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

25m sea level rise would, help decrease ocean acidification and also implement mandatory reduction in industry and commerce emissions due to flooding.

again, sounds like a good thing to me.