Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
It’s just an Ultima homage, the song is a mashup of all the final boss themes from 2.0 - 5.0 with a bit of the main theme mixed in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
its surface even the vaunted scholars of ancient allag failed to scratch

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Shogeton posted:

I'm kind of still wondering what is so special about the Heart of Sabiq that it's the song that got played at the last battle. Or is it just a reference to the Boss fight of ARR?

I want to believe that the Heart of Sabik is one of those mad science projects that we will probably find out about at an opportune moment. As I've remarked before: We will probably NEVER be entirely rid of these Organization XIII bastards and their schemes, but trying to glue Zodiark back together again is done and gone.

Imagine someone as mercenary as Trevaunchet going into business purely for himself.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Shogeton posted:

I'm kind of still wondering what is so special about the Heart of Sabiq that it's the song that got played at the last battle. Or is it just a reference to the Boss fight of ARR?

Probably just a reference, but the Heart of Sabik is explicitly a way to perform the strongest and most pure magic ever, Ultima.

We don’t actually know the origin of the Heart of Sabik. Beyond it being Allag’s greatest triumph, and that Ultima Weapon itself was built from studying Omega Weapon.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Exactly. Though apparently even their Scholars couldn't quite understand it. Which suggests it's Ancient Tech. Or possibly Omega Tech then I suppose?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Can I just say, having the twins' dad actually interact with the bunnies was very good. In fact I'm so glad they came down to the planet and everyone had to interact with them. Puddingway zombie shambling around in the background is also so good.

Everything about those sweet children was good. I can't believe this is a real screenshot:

Genuinely the biggest surprise for me so far in Endwalker is that the sickeningly cute beast tribe are actually really entertaining and charmingly written without being loathsome little wretches like the moogles or faeries, I was shocked by how much I ended up liking those rabbits

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Shogeton posted:

Exactly. Though apparently even their Scholars couldn't quite understand it. Which suggests it's Ancient Tech. Or possibly Omega Tech then I suppose?

It doesn’t seem like Omikron/Omega technology. It could be from Ivalice and their Ultima the High Seraph, which would explain the shared name. But I’ve been of the opinion that Ivalice grew after Allag collapsed, and their interactions were that of a dying global empire and a growing new power.

Ancient Tech seems plausible, given the Ascians (or at least Lahabrea) are aware of the Heart of Sabik and how it functions.

Enough that he can unleash Ultima with it.

The Heart of Sabik could be a concept Crystal for the magic Ultima?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Lord_Magmar posted:

Probably just a reference, but the Heart of Sabik is explicitly a way to perform the strongest and most pure magic ever, Ultima.

We don’t actually know the origin of the Heart of Sabik. Beyond it being Allag’s greatest triumph, and that Ultima Weapon itself was built from studying Omega Weapon.

This is slightly incorrect:

The Heart of Sabik was something that was given to the Allag and they never quite puzzled out how it worked, besides using it as the core of Ultima Weapon. It SEEMS to be what was essential for containing Primals. They never figured out how to use the Heart properly.

And then the Garlean Weapons turn around and use Optimized Ultima like a standard artillery piece and do poo poo that the Ultima Weapon NEVER could.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Gearhead posted:

This is slightly incorrect:

The Heart of Sabik was something that was given to the Allag and they never quite puzzled out how it worked, besides using it as the core of Ultima Weapon. It SEEMS to be what was essential for containing Primals. They never figured out how to use the Heart properly.

And then the Garlean Weapons turn around and use Optimized Ultima like a standard artillery piece and do poo poo that the Ultima Weapon NEVER could.

To be fair "optimized ultima" also seems to be, well, a toned-down Ultima.

It's "Ultima enough to nuke your foes, but not so much that you obliterate the entire battlefield."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Interestingly, the Garlean Weapons have fake Hearts of Sabik that let them absorb primals. The Ruby Gwiber mentions that the Ruby Weapon absorbed an unknown primal for example. Optimised Ultima implies to me that it’s actually weaker than standard Ultima, but able to be used without the real Heart of Sabik.

After all, Optimised Ultima isn’t very threatening, actual Ultima is you better have the Blessing of Light or be inside the Ultima Weapon itself or you are dead. Such Devastation and all that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

puddingway plush

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
...I just realized that the Mad Because Small version of In From The Cold is going to be wild.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shogeton posted:

Sharing the joy of tacos.

Zeruel posted:

its surface even the vaunted scholars of ancient allag failed to scratch

I did that roulette yesterday, and Lahabrea really comes off sarcastic about "vaunted scholars of ancient allag" knowing who he is.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of the Venat stuff people are saying seems utterly determined to ignore the central idea that suffering is unavoidable and treat it as "suffering is good."

A society where nothing ever goes wrong and nobody is unhappy ia not something that csn exist and the only way it can is if those who don't fit are somehow removed or changed. That doesn't make striving for a better life wrong but you can't eliminate suffering. At best you hide it.

It boils down to Omelas. FFXIV takes the standpoint that it is wrong and that being the ones who walk away is the true path the a better world.

Honestly, based on a lot of the posting about this I get the impression a lot of those people are interpreting "suffering" purely as a political thing or something that only happens in an unjust society (like ours) and that's why they're getting upset about it. Yeah, I get it, life under late-stage capitalism is loving terrible, but if we instituted gay space luxury communism tomorrow, there would still be plenty of suffering. It is literally not something you can completely progress your way out of. The game's world is not meant to be a representation of our current reality and it is not saying "no, we shouldn't try to improve society somewhat" or that it's actually necessary that poor people exist or whatever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So I posted this in the other thread, but that word Cirina keeps calling Sadu, "Khatun", is a title for either a lady of importance or someone's wife.

It's pretty obvious they're going for the former, but ha. Poor Magnai.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not so certain Sadu has it all figured out yet, herself.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I laughed pretty hard when Magni thought Cirina was running to him in Garlemald and had his arms out and everything and she just beelines straight to Sadu.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's enough suggestive lines throughout that whole arc that it's definitely meant as more than a throwaway joke imo, Cirina/Sadu is real

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

multijoe posted:

There's enough suggestive lines throughout that whole arc that it's definitely meant as more than a throwaway joke imo, Cirina/Sadu is real

Oh good, something to look forward to

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Super No Vacancy posted:

puddingway plush

I would buy it in approximately one thousandth of a second.

Benstar
Aug 3, 2008
I thought they managed to avoid the pitfalls of introducing timetravel in Shadowbringers quite well, but it turns out they were just waiting for Endbriger to dig all the way to the center of the earth, huh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Benstar posted:

I thought they managed to avoid the pitfalls of introducing timetravel in Shadowbringers quite well, but it turns out they were just waiting for Endbriger to dig all the way to the center of the earth, huh

And then they made it work, I'm impressed, thank you YoshiP :)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The 'P' stands for 'Pitfalls? Not here'

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Do we have any info on how Etheirys' reflections manifest compared to the wider universe? I guess what I'm getting at is would it be possible for a space-faring civilization like the Omicrons to land on something other than the Source?

Of the cuff, I don't think it makes sense in the fiction to have all of space time be Sundered as well, just don't know that we have any info on it really.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Plushingway

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I suspect that Etheirys' various shards are now just kind of... dimensionally phased around it, and the Source remains the one that anyone coming in from another planet would land on and engage with.

Which does remind me of some chatter here about hey, what if there was a prolonged effort to "nicely" merge the shards back together, just let the people of those worlds gradually come over to the Source and pass on and etc etc... I get the thought behind wanting to fix the obviously broken, but ol' Emet-Selch himself said that those worlds have their own surprising cultures and things going on. I doubt they'd want anything to do with winding their own societies down to do some handwavy hippy-dippy lifestream nonsense at the urging of invaders from another dimension.

A nice long-term path for Etheirys might be a more permanent establishment of interdimensional travel, though. Yeah we can't put it back together, but we can move more freely, maybe.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Pissingway

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Just got to the moon. Jumping physics are unchanged. 6/10 is my review score.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One world died from famine and disease.
One world rejected conflict, and was conquered.
One world believed that large mounts were just as fast as small mounts

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well just straight away, merging the Source and the First would be pretty jarring for Lalafells and Amalj'aa. They would find themselves treated pretty differently compared what they were used to

I hope interdimensional travel happens because A) I want Yshtola to be able to get back to the First and B) I don't want Ryne to be a thing that only exists in Shadowbringers. I'm annoyed her character isn't hanging out somewhere in the world. She should really be at the cafe in the Crystarium, with Gaia if you do Eden. I was bummed when I went to take one final screenshot of Shadowbringers the night before Endwalker maintenance happened and I found out Ryne doesn't exist anywhere in any of the zones after Eden is complete.

That stupid elf idiot is not my son, but Ryne is my DAUGHTER

Machai posted:

Just got to the moon. Jumping physics are unchanged. 6/10 is my review score.

Yes, literally the first thing I did when I loaded into the moon was hit the jump button. I haven't been so disappointed in my entire life

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Macaluso posted:

That stupid elf idiot is not my son, but Ryne is my DAUGHTER

where is Thancred involved in all this

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

where is Thancred involved in all this

But there's a third dad and it's me (and also I'm a catgirl)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean the way Y'shtola notes how other than seeking new knowledge, her only other goal in life is to find a way to visit the First, it's all but certain she'll eventually find her way back to the First. As long as it's not unrestricted travel it won't have greater setting implications. Hell, given how the Scions tiptoe around serious politics (trying to be as benevolent as possible while acknowledging that it is a temporary measure at best), they probably realize it'd be best not to let the shards interact without restriction.

Also, I really wish we got to give Urianger a hug too.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zeruel posted:

Pissingway

https://twitter.com/elfwifecity/status/1467960273210253313?s=21

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Argas posted:

I mean the way Y'shtola notes how other than seeking new knowledge, her only other goal in life is to find a way to visit the First, it's all but certain she'll eventually find her way back to the First. As long as it's not unrestricted travel it won't have greater setting implications. Hell, given how the Scions tiptoe around serious politics (trying to be as benevolent as possible while acknowledging that it is a temporary measure at best), they probably realize it'd be best not to let the shards interact without restriction.

Also, I really wish we got to give Urianger a hug too.

Ok but consider: gently caress non-interference clauses based on maintaining false ignorance, building robust social systems and means of interaction is good actually.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

On one hand Magnai has become, I feel, too much of a joke about his Nhaama. Like Squeenix saw the reaction to Little Sun and decided that is what Magnai is all about now.

On the other hand I am all for Cirina/Sadu and Magnai is annoying anyway.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The hell is Ah-Ruhn-Senna doing standing in the middle of a snowstorm with his legs uncovered

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

The hell is Ah-Ruhn-Senna doing standing in the middle of a snowstorm with his legs uncovered

I was very amused by that, yes, especially given how basically every other character got a more covering outfit.

I think it's Padjal bullshit? Might be in the Heavensward White Mage quests since those take place in Coerthas.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hellioning posted:

On one hand Magnai has become, I feel, too much of a joke about his Nhaama. Like Squeenix saw the reaction to Little Sun and decided that is what Magnai is all about now.

On the other hand I am all for Cirina/Sadu and Magnai is annoying anyway.

yea if Magnai had any other character other than 'that annoying dude we did some quests for before winning the naadam and telling him to eat poo poo' I'd be disappointed, but he didn't so suck it Little Sun and long live Gay As Hell Sadu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I do want to point out that if Hydaelyn hadn't sundered Zodiark after Elpis there would be a timeline split and the WoL would be left in a timeline where the Final Days and Sundering happened but we would not have a timeline convergence at the Aetherial Sea, ensuring the demise of the world.

And if there were no Sundering in the original timeline Meteion would still be singing the song of oblivion, the Amaurotines would just return to lives of blissful indolence and moral blindness while the heat death of the universe accelerates around them while they continue creating and wiping out species on a whim.

Hydaelyn at least admits her actions are monstrous, but she still did so to prevent a genocide. That she also worked to prevent many more, as well as her actions leading to the resuscitation of the cycle of reincarnation on dead worlds via the song of hope, kind of inclines me to not view her too harshly.

At the end of the day, what Warrior of Light would not sunder a god if it meant preventing genocide?