Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.australiandefence.com.au/defence/land/hanwha-to-build-self-propelled-howitzers-in-geelong

Spot the problem (s) ^

RMF, a Palm Island man, was diagnosed with terminal cancer in December 2018 after a prison nurse conducting his admission to Townsville correctional centre flagged concerns in the wake of his intake interview. The 59-year-old died six weeks later in hospital, surrounded by family. The coroner ruled that his death was due to natural causes and said his medical care and treatment in hospital had been "unremarkable".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

norp posted:

Yeah it's been hard having to scan a QR code at the pub and store some masks in the bottom of the junk drawer these last 12 months

It really is a case of people cherry picking the worst elements of theirs or others experiences, and totally ignoring others. The genuine trauma of other people is terrible, but now there are people like Christensen taking shaky cam footage of a random tall fence on Infowars saying 'here are the camps'.

A guy told me diabetes is the same as covid because wearing a mask or staying at home is a lifestyle choice, but funding for diabetes would save more lives, therefore the government is actively killing people by giving so much attention to covid. He also said WA is a gilded cage, so obviously anyone who is happy or comfortable is actually brainwashed.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Something I wonder about the anti-lockdown, anti-vax pro-freedumb nutjobs.

Is their anger going to be directed at only left-wing targets, (Dan, Anna etc.), or because they are actual dumb dumbs who barely know what they are protesting against beyond "lockdown is bad!" will that anger be thrown against the government, in an "all pollies are the same!" approach.

PUP seems to hope so.

But there is also the phenomenon of how these protests are being infiltrated/co-opted by proper hardcore right-wing dangerous crazy types. What with the aping of QAnon and MAGA stuff from America. So one would think that these types would be funnelling the mob as a pro LNP group.

On this, and whilst it pains me to even give a half arsed pseudo compliment to ScoMo, (the fascist oval office that he is), I expected him to go a lot harder with the "I, and the Liberal government are trying to get Australia out of lockdown and doing all the good freedom stuff. They, the filthy communist Labor opposition want to keep you in your homes and force vaccines that make you gay onto your children."

I suppose he hasn't started campaigning in earnest yet, so that poo poo may still arise, but I expected more of it from him. And to date he has been a little subdued.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Preparing for a land war in Asia is one of the classic blunders?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

abigserve posted:

Scott morrison's goons raid a journalists house -> fine
QR code when entering the pub -> this is what it must have felt like at Auschwitz

I've never EVER seen Australians being as mad at anything and stage such long term protests as they are with getting shots.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's amazing to me how many people are salty at WA for... being one of the best places to live for the last two years? Not just the anti-vax weirdos or whatever, the strong cohort of Sydney-based Australian Twitterati who subconsciously believe that anything that happens outside of NSW or Victoria is some kind of provincial eccentricity. Whoop de doo, you got to travel overseas from November after spending four months in hard lockdown, what an accomplishment.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've never EVER seen Australians being as mad at anything and stage such long term protests as they are with getting shots.

I guess in terms of protesting it's usually a small group of activists caring about a more theoretical cause, whereas this is a large group of people (who I'm sure 90% of them have ever lifted a finger to give a gently caress about anything else) protesting about something which very specifically affects them...?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

TheMostFrench posted:

A guy told me diabetes is the same as covid because wearing a mask or staying at home is a lifestyle choice, but funding for diabetes would save more lives, therefore the government is actively killing people by giving so much attention to covid. He also said WA is a gilded cage, so obviously anyone who is happy or comfortable is actually brainwashed.

The border was not to keep us in, it was to keep all the others out. How do people on the outside not realise this?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

freebooter posted:

the strong cohort of Sydney-based Australian Twitterati who subconsciously believe that anything that happens outside of NSW or Victoria is some kind of provincial eccentricity.

This is correct tho

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

youve never seen them told to before

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Konomex posted:

The border was not to keep us in, it was to keep all the others out. How do people on the outside not realise this?

My favourite thing was the last few months when people seemed to think WA still had a totally hard closed border, when in fact it was open to everywhere except plague-riddled NSW, Vic, and the ACT. Of course people in Sydney and Melbourne could be forgiven for thinking this, since nowhere outside those three places in Australia exists, but then that's a paradox sparking the collapse of reality because what's this COVID-free *Western* Australia we're talking about now???

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

He also said WA is a gilded cage, so obviously anyone who is happy or comfortable is actually brainwashed.

So like working FIFO?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Should prisoners in Australia who do work be paid minimum wage for it? y/n?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

CrazyTolradi posted:

No, prisons need to make a profit.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yes.

Criminals should be sent to prison to be rehabilitated, because they pose a danger if left in society, and as a general deterrent effect. The work component isn't part of the punishment, should be part of the rehabilitation, and should be paid. It will improve the odds of them re-integrating into society if they have a bit of cash to fall back on when they are out (even if you link it to one of those stupid dole cards).

Also, prisoners shouldn't be a slave workforce used to undercut the wages of workers.

e: and for clarity, if the criminal isn't a danger to society and can be rehabilitated in the community then they shouldn't be in prison for minor offences.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

no.

Prisoners should be paid a wage equivalent to the workers who are doing the job not in prisons.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hooman posted:

no.

Prisoners should be paid a wage equivalent to the workers who are doing the job not in prisons.
what hooman said

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

CrazyTolradi posted:

For work otherwise rewarded at the minimum wage? Of course

Slavery is bad!

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 13, 2021

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Masks and a vaccine requirement? The antivax crew are not gonna like that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's going to be interesting to see whether all those entry requirements plus beginning off an infection base of zero will be enough to keep case numbers low, and if so, for how long - for all the COVID-zero states, not just WA.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yoloer420 posted:

Masks and a vaccine requirement? The antivax crew are not gonna like that.

those jabronies don't like anything

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hooman posted:

no.

But what if the people who are not incarcerated doing thoes jobs in Austrailia are often being paid less then minimum wage. :colbert:

and yes, jailing the rat bastard employers stiffing people on a fair wage for work is the obvious answer.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://www.smh.com.au/national/i-h...212-p59gto.html

This is a surprising but good take from Barnaby:

quote:

OPINION
I have never met Julian Assange and I presume I would not like him, but he’s entitled to justice

Barnaby Joyce December 14th 2021

There is, in a decent society, a vessel of rights that we hold throughout our entire life. Rights that are not created in some legal sonic boom at one undefined point of our existence nor switched off like the power to a fridge because of a fear or a confusion as to the worth of their contents.

Rights, that though you may be unaware of them, apply equally to the person who has unlimited resources and has been blessed with the greatest luck in the random draw of life, and to those who have been less fortunate. Rights such as the right to liberty and the right to habeas corpus.

A decent society makes the investment to uphold everyone’s basic attachment to this vessel of rights. You can judge a society on whether the protections and enforcement of these rights is actively pursued by the state in a form where all are truly equal.

In a liberal democracy, care must be taken to avoid laws that stumble around how basic rights may come and go. How a state deliberates over one person’s rights is an indication of the clarity, consistency and authenticity it applies over all.

Julian Assange is a current case in point. As an individual, whether you like him or despise him, it is beyond him, given his circumstances, to protect his rights by himself. So we must hope for the British courts to do so, and we will judge its society accordingly.

I have never met him and, from observation, don’t respect him. I presume I would not like him. And I view these facts as a clarion call to be all the more vigilant that he is treated just as one of my most powerful colleagues or dearest friends would be.

It is a case of how our citizen is protected and judged. Imagine a sliding door moment, and it was not Assange but you who was in court in Britain.

The Assange issue inspires so much rhetoric, so much totemism, screams from the choir and three-minute diagnoses. To look at it clearly, you must leave your uninformed preconceptions at the door of the high-colour sideshow. You must also set aside the grave issues that surround the actions of Assange. They are a separate matter to the key issue: where was this individual when he was allegedly breaking US law for which the US is now seeking his extradition from London?

Assange did not steal any US secret files, US citizen Chelsea Manning did. Assange did publish them. In Australia, he received a Walkley Award in journalism for it. Assange was not in breach of any Australian laws at the time of his actions. Assange was not in the US when the event being deliberated in a court now in London occurred. The question is then: why is he to be extradited to the US? If he insulted the Koran, would he be extradited to Saudi Arabia?

What country was he a citizen of at that time; what does it mean to be a citizen, and what rights therefore attach to it? If we are content that this process of extraditing one Australian to the US for breaking its laws even when he was not in that country is fair, are we prepared therefore to accept it as a precedent for applying to any other laws of any other nation to any of our citizens?

I have no power in Britain or US over these matters. I have no standing in the British courts. But in that birthplace of the common law, I hope the learned come to a just conclusion. They should try him there for any crime he is alleged to have committed on British soil or send him back to Australia, where he is a citizen. I am isolated in a room in Washington with an as yet undetermined variant of COVID-19, but have been asked back in Australia if my previous position on this matter remains the same. It does, and I hope this gives my reasons why. I hope it shows I am consistent on such matters.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

I'm so glad NSW is getting their non-vax freedom day tomorrow, just as cases go through the roof.

Not requiring masks anywhere and almost no check-ins will go great!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Any sydneygoons in here? I have three Hamilton tickets for this sat at 7 30 which we're not gonna use, I'd like to get something for them (like maybe some beer from here?) but mainly I'd like them to be used

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
how good is cooking the books

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Rumors there's an emergency cabinet meeting for NSW to keep the mask and restriction mandate in place until after xmas. Hopefully that's true.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Halo14 posted:

Rumors there's an emergency cabinet meeting for NSW to keep the mask and restriction mandate in place until after xmas. Hopefully that's true.

Dom won’t make the right call. He’s not capable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Australia getting started to make its own moderna shots in... 2024

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-14/moderna-to-be-first-mrna-vaccine-made-in-australia/100697324

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Halo14 posted:

Holy heck that's a big jump in cases today.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

paul mercurio has obtained preseclection by the labor party for the seat of hastings in melbournce

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Halo14 posted:

nope

Guardian Livebog posted:

NSW commits to easing rules for unvaccinated

As Covid cases in New South Wales continue to rise, the state government has committed to its plan to lift restrictions for unvaccinated residents from tomorrow.

On Tuesday, as NSW recorded 804 new cases, insisted the government had considered all the options but was committed to easing restrictions on Wednesday in order to return the state “back to a full life of normality”, reports AAP.

From Wednesday, unvaccinated people will be allowed back in pubs, cafes, gyms and shops and mask mandates will be eased.

Hazzard made the comments as health authorities are battling to contain an outbreak of the Omicron variant, with a total of 85 cases now confirmed in the state.

“We’re not about to start backflipping on issues we promised,” Hazzard said.

Hazzard also warned “once the unvaccinated are mixing with the vaccinated, the numbers will increase even further”.

“That’s worrying because that puts pressure on our doctors and nurses and our frontline health system,” he said.

He was scathing about people who refused to get vaccinated, saying they were “very vulnerable to what is a rapidly increasing number of Covid cases”.

most of the unvaccinated in NSW are children under 12 who can't get vaccinated until after Jan 10th next year.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Ugh of course they won't. Still a lot of people with only 1 jab that were waiting it out until December 15. This will be interesting.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Taking it less seriously than Boris Johnson, lol

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I got my Booster shot yesterday.

Twas easy as piss, no lines, no fuss. They looked at my medicare card and bingo bango, shoved a needle in my arm and I was out and on my way.

YAY!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Twas easy as piss, no lines, no fuss. They looked at my medicare card and bingo bango, shoved a needle in my arm and I was out and on my way.

YAY!

Whered you get it done?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Halo14 posted:

Nobody is going to abide by these mandates in the summer heat while covid is officially over.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Whoops

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/100697836

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Whered you get it done?

Frankston. (Outer suburban Melbourne.)

There's a big vaccination hub just outside the shopping centre in the old Rebel Sports building.

They told me that all the 3rd jabs they were giving were Pfizer. (Which was fair enough for me, as my first 2 were Pfizer.)

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

lol

Alan Jones has moved to youtube streaming and it would seem that he sucks at it as much as he does anything else. Stream crashed within 3 minutes of going live and then 2 hours later he was able to get online to both spout unhinged conspiracy stuff and rant about dumb poo poo like how apparently the ferries in Sydney suck and they suddenly changed a bus route on him.

Apparently Dominic Perrottet also made an appearance, continuing the theme of Mr. Jones not really being silenced by anything except his own uselessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

BrigadierSensible posted:

YAY!

Got mine yesterday too. Booked online and was able to get appointments for within a half hour from booking.

Unlike the first two shots though, this one is really kicking my arse.