Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

Few thoughts on sniper

game is all about closeup combat and he us the onlt one who isnt. Doesnt mean he cant have that niche to himself, but he stands out

Has way too much ammo which menas he desnt have to reposition/take breaks often to go pick up ammo and out himself in risk/give up a sightline for a bit. This is one i agree with the sniper haters on.

His design is super one dimensional. You click heads. Thats about it. Theres no rocket jumping, no airblast, no metal management, no double and or triple and or quadruple jump, no crit heals, nothing. At least hes got huntsman which changes his gameplay a lot and is imo very fun. All this doesnt mean he should get added complexity, and he does have to have awareness to not get turned into a paste by roaming soldiers or stabbed by spies, and shoot head good is its own reward, but man, it feels like theres only really one way to play him when talking regular sniper.

But also i feel people are out of their mind when talking about how snipers dont have to work for their frags. Dude have you seen how small and fast a scout is? Have you tried consistently hitting that rocketjumping god? Shits not easy. You gotta grind that admittedly linear raw mechanical skill of clicking heads. Plat snipers didnt get there magically.... Unless they were one of those that use aimbots lol.
I think the better term people are looking here is risk. Snipers dont put themselves at enoigh risk when sniping and yeah i can see that argument.

Now a class i hate to play because its loving boring slow and linear? My man heavy. Good god i hate playing heavy. I think i have like 3 hours total as him.

I think snipers are OK in a vacuum. The main problem is that their design drastically increases the reward for cheating. Occasionally you'll see someone playing heavy or scout or DH soldier with hacks and yeah that gets annoying, but an aimbot only goes so far for them; even if you nail people 100% of the time you still have to stick your neck out to get kills and you will still die to lucky or good players.

The secondary problem is that maps have to be designed very carefully around snipers. Or maybe it's more fair to say that it makes many map flaws much more punishing, since I'm not sure the features that make snipers oppressive (huge sightlines, lack of effective flanks) are otherwise desirable anyhow, but their problems get magnified when there's a really good (or aimbotting) sniper around.

Risk seems like a very accurate way of looking at both of these issues. It's also a good way to highlight the differences between a sniper that really knows what they're doing vs. one that doesn't; a great sniper doesn't necessarily need to have spectacular headshot accuracy if they're good at positioning and managing risk and can potentially carry a game in a way that doesn't destroy the game's fun for anyone, it only really turns into a problem in situations where being good at positioning and managing risk simply equals "sit on the sniper deck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I just don't like getting quickscoped at short range. :mad: You do the work to exploit what should be the sniper's weakness, and then suddenly it doesn't matter because he can do 50% more damage on his first mouse click than any other class can manage. In a game about positioning and managing classes based on their effective ranges, having the class who is invariably supposed to be weak at close range actually be the most dangerous at close range to half the classes is the worst.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Have you tried quick scoping a Scout that's in youe face?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A lot of the classes can take that quick scope and live though. I mean, surely you didn't do a silly thing like shooting at your own feet with an explosive before you made it over to me. That'd be a real silly thing to do!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

reignofevil posted:

A lot of the classes can take that quick scope and live though. I mean, surely you didn't do a silly thing like shooting at your own feet with an explosive before you made it over to me. That'd be a real silly thing to do!

Yes, simply close the distance to the sniper using the safe and convenient flanking route that mapmakers thoughtfully provide for every good sniper perch. It's not like there are spots where snipers covering the point can easily kill you long before you can reach them on any approach that doesn't involve multi-explosion jumping.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Or the invincible class. Or the invisible class. Or just grab scout-bonk.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ubering to push on the sniper

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Were unusual hats the first NFT?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Snipers to my mind are pretty well-balanced. When they're overpowered, it's because the mapmaker gave them too good of a position. On most maps they're fine. If I were to change anything about them I'd put in a bit more delay while scoping in, so that players would have more of a reason to use the SMG. Quickscoping is so reliable at all distances that there's no reason to waste the slot on a sidearm.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Roth posted:

Have you tried quick scoping a Scout that's in youe face?

This isn't a matter of "does it take skill to pull off", like most things surrounding the balance problems Sniper has it is admittedly something only good Snipers(not counting bots or cheaters) can consistently pull off, the problem is that in spite of the skill needed to pull off a close range Quick Scope(or indeed any Quick Scope) getting killed by one is always going to be an unfun bullshit experience, while comparing it to something similarly high skilled like getting Market Gardened feels much more fair due to the extremely high risk of that play style even at the highest tiers

Kaal posted:

Snipers to my mind are pretty well-balanced. When they're overpowered, it's because the mapmaker gave them too good of a position. On most maps they're fine. If I were to change anything about them I'd put in a bit more delay while scoping in, so that players would have more of a reason to use the SMG. Quickscoping is so reliable at all distances that there's no reason to waste the slot on a sidearm.

I'd say my suggestion about making head shots only crit on full charge is the better solution, as the issue isn't that he can instant kill people, it's how fast and consistently he can do so that is the problem, it's the one spot in TF2's otherwise really good balance regarding the speed/pacing of the game needs fixing(well besides maybe giving Engineer something to swap out Teleporters for on maps where those aren't very useful)

The fact that it would indirectly buff The Classic, Sydney Sleeper, and Huntsman is a happy bonus

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

(well besides maybe giving Engineer something to swap out Teleporters for on maps where those aren't very useful)

i believe it's bound to , by default

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

i believe it's bound to , by default

Outside of a couple exceptions like Nucleus most maps will still have the rest of Engineer's kit be useful even when Teleporters aren't, like Sentries are almost always useful(though whether stock or minis are the more practical choice varies) and same for Dispensers(though on some maps it might not be worth upgrading them past level one due to how vulnerable the best spots for them will be, unless you want to prebuild them at Spawn that is), meanwhile Teleporters can often be suboptimal due to the amount of work and metal needed to be put into them when combined with certain maps either being too small(like most KOTH and CTF maps) or move the spawn rooms too often(most 5CP maps and quite a few Payload maps too)

There's a reason a lot of people have been suggesting giving Engineer some sort of "Jump Pad" or "Speed Boost Pad" as a Teleporter replacement for most of the game's lifespan

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I will never stop saying that the Huntsman should've been the default sniper weapon

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I agree with you in the sense that it's not hitscan and there's big upsides to that, but the actual implementation of the huntsman is incredibly hosed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvOaUF1Sl5c

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I will never stop saying that the Huntsman should've been the default sniper weapon

Personally I think the Sydney Sleeper would be the better choice in that regard(since Sniper is supposed to be a Support class after all), but I can see your point

IronicDongz posted:

I agree with you in the sense that it's not hitscan and there's big upsides to that, but the actual implementation of the huntsman is incredibly hosed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvOaUF1Sl5c

True the way the Huntsman interacts with hitboxes is a tad ridiculous, though you would have to be careful fixing that cause there's a very high likelihood that you would end up making it useless

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You could remove the bounding box behavior so it actually has to hit directly, and then perhaps increase its projectile speed a bit to compensate.

I do think that the huntsman introduces more "spammy" behavior than the regular rifle, which leads to players shooting arrows at chokes in the hopes of getting a lucky headshot without actually aiming at someone.
Which I don't honestly have strong feelings about, but it's a bit counter to what a 'precision' class is implicitly supposed to be about. And spam that kills you in one lucky hit is a bit different than spam that just takes off a chunk of HP.

You could mitigate that by giving sniper a way to 'mark' a target at range, making them take increased damage-so if sniper wanted to get "delete the guy in one hit" type damage he would have to commit to aiming at a specific guy, instead of spamming arrows towards where enemies are likely to be. Something like a laser dot rangefinder sort of gadget. Hell, that could be huntsman alt-fire.

But at this point I'm talking basically redesigning the class from the ground up, so whatever.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I think the Sydney Sleeper would be the better choice in that regard(since Sniper is supposed to be a Support class after all), but I can see your point

The Sleeper's a valid option too imo, where the Huntsman could just as well be the high damage/less reliable alternate

I was thinking more in lines of "and also this gets rid of spinning aimbots" but in a perfect world that's just dealt with anyway :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

This isn't a matter of "does it take skill to pull off", like most things surrounding the balance problems Sniper has it is admittedly something only good Snipers(not counting bots or cheaters) can consistently pull off, the problem is that in spite of the skill needed to pull off a close range Quick Scope(or indeed any Quick Scope) getting killed by one is always going to be an unfun bullshit experience, while comparing it to something similarly high skilled like getting Market Gardened feels much more fair due to the extremely high risk of that play style even at the highest tiers

I'd say my suggestion about making head shots only crit on full charge is the better solution, as the issue isn't that he can instant kill people, it's how fast and consistently he can do so that is the problem, it's the one spot in TF2's otherwise really good balance regarding the speed/pacing of the game needs fixing(well besides maybe giving Engineer something to swap out Teleporters for on maps where those aren't very useful)

The fact that it would indirectly buff The Classic, Sydney Sleeper, and Huntsman is a happy bonus

Is quick scoping scouts up close not incresibly risky now? You get like one shot if you were lucky to not just get dropped while distracted by the medic and missing means your dead.

I am really wondering how many of you guys even regularly play Sniper because you're approaching this like basically every sniper doesn't just eat poo poo 99% of the time if any class gets near him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The Sleeper's a valid option too imo, where the Huntsman could just as well be the high damage/less reliable alternate

I was thinking more in lines of "and also this gets rid of spinning aimbots" but in a perfect world that's just dealt with anyway :v:

That's one of the big reasons for my "crits on head shots requires a full charge" idea, would severely gimp that sort of thing

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
The only change sniper should need is to not be able to headshot while flinching. Suddenly every major complaint I can think of about sniper has a valid way of dealing with it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That will definitely go over well for the class that is the second most targeted class in the game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If one can't touch Sniper himself then one should definitely touch a lot of the maps to reduce the amount of gaping sniper sight lines that many maps have to reduce the crappy situations where a Sniper can snipe you from half the map away and be basically untouchable*

*see the segment in LazyPurple's How It Feels To Play Sniper where he gets counter sniped on Thunder Mountain stage 1 for an especially egregious example of this

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The best idea I've heard for Sniper is actually just to give his rifle a clip that needs to be reloaded after four shots.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Roth posted:

That will definitely go over well for the class that is the second most targeted class in the game
You're right, it would! It'd make not being an open target a needed skill and add an actual way to fight hackers. Forcing snipers to reload wouldn't solve any issue that happens the other 90% of the time they can shoot

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sockpuppetclock posted:

You're right, it would! It'd make not being an open target a needed skill and add an actual way to fight hackers. Forcing snipers to reload wouldn't solve any issue that happens the other 90% of the time they can shoot

Not being an open target is already a needed skill. Scouts and Soldiers dive just to kill Snipers almost as much as they dive to kill Medics. Snipers on the other team are looking to shut you down. Spies will just backstab or revolver you at basically every opportunity. Making it so that Sniper is unplayable because a Scout can hit you with a Scattergun pellet for 3 damage from across the map because of hackers is a dumb idea, I'm sorry. The flinch itself is already messing up your aim in a way that severely increases the difficulty of landing that shot in the first place.

Maps are already designed so that Snipers can be harassed by people shooting pistols and shotguns at them, and it has nothing to do with the Sniper stupidly putting themself in harm's way. What this and the fully charged shot idea do is just upgrade a really difficult to win up close fight with a Scout or Soldier to impossible, and severely hamper his ability to do his intended long range damage to the point that he's not even worth picking. All you've accomplished with these nerfs is make it so that Sniper can't do anything but hide in a corner, hope nobody notices him, and then peaks out for an instant kill. Sounds like a really riveting time, sign me up. I'm sure people definitely won't complain about getting insta killed by a player they had no warning of.

If you want hackers taken care of, then actually implement features to prevent hackers and bots instead of nerfing a class in every mode of play.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yeah seriously what the gently caress is this about nerfing a class because of hackers. thats like saying they shouldnt let you walljump in mario64 because a TAS can beat rainbow ride by doing frame perfect walljumps

to engage with what is being said a bit less flippantly, maybe give the sniper's scope more zoom. make him harder to win up close, a bit more challenging in mid range, and then long range he barely gets affected.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
I don't even consider it a nerf, it's an aspect of gameplay that already happens (headshotting while flinching is already really difficult) but is made consistent. Flinching is real short iirc, if you're under enough constant fire that you are flinching 100% of the time you're already effectively nullified. I didn't mean to make it sound like it's just to nerf for combat hacking

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

drrockso20 posted:

I'd say my suggestion about making head shots only crit on full charge is the better solution, as the issue isn't that he can instant kill people, it's how fast and consistently he can do so that is the problem, it's the one spot in TF2's otherwise really good balance regarding the speed/pacing of the game needs fixing(well besides maybe giving Engineer something to swap out Teleporters for on maps where those aren't very useful) The fact that it would indirectly buff The Classic, Sydney Sleeper, and Huntsman is a happy bonus

If a Sniper only crit on full charge, it would probably halve their damage output. A minicrit does only 36 percent more damage than a body shot - there's hardly any point. And getting a full charge takes more than three seconds. It would be a massive nerf. If you're worried about getting Quickscoped, then keep pinging the Sniper with minor shots to disrupt their aim.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

As an Engineer, presumably, you have 200 pistol ammo, so there's no worry at all about running out of that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

most of the time when I see a good sniper pubstomping he is able to do so because he hits a couple of good shots and everyone starts acting like he is an untouchable god raining instant kills down from on high. they become afraid of him, and so instead of throwing spam and harassment at him they just try to avoid ever going into his sightline.

as it turns out, it's like 1 million times easier to land headshots if you get to just sit there and pick off one guy at a time. it's very hard to land headshots when you have 0.1 seconds to line it up and hit it in between dodging rockets and flares and checking for spies and backing up. there are a couple of snipers out there that can still annihilate everyone even in those situations, but like 99% of the ones you see out there pubstomping can't. throw enough bullshit at them and they'll go from deleting everyone to barely making 1/1 kd.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
On a whim, I ended up buying some stuff from Marketplace.TF. First purchase I made from them since a year ago (around when they were changing up their seller policies). At the time, it sort of sounded like it was the end of the road for them, but they're still going (they're still accepting new sellers, but they have to go through vetting).

Bought some MvM tickets, Secret Saxtons, and two keys (one regular, one for the 2021 hat cases). With tickets, I've got enough for like 5 MvM tours. I don't know what the meta game is for non-standard keys.

-

On to the actual game itself, I've not played a whole lot of the new Smissmas maps, save for Doublefrost (because the only thing better than Doublecross, is a winter-themed Doublecross). I was excited for Bread Space, since I saw it was making use of the space assets, but the map itself...I dunno, it seems way to big, and easy to get lost in.

Part of the reason I've not played a lot of the new Smissmas maps has to do with what seems to be a new uptick in bots (the Festive Hitmen), so I've mostly been sticking to community servers. I guess the new issue now is that the bots can vote against the kick.

I'm still trying to work on the ConTracker. As part of the Offense Contracts, I went with Pyro, but the current issue I have with all the contract paths is with the ones involving weapon selections: I don't want to pick something where I'm going to get stuck (Offense: Soda Popper, Black Box, Flare Gun / Support: Big Earner, Amputator, Jarate / Defense: Loose Cannon, Fists of Steel, Wrangler). I thought about going Black Box, Amputator, and Fists of Steel, but the goals for each make me uncertain. Any suggestions?

Reiley posted:

As an Engineer, presumably, you have 200 pistol ammo, so there's no worry at all about running out of that.

And the Engineer's pistol is pretty good at mid-range.

I wish Demoman had a larger ammo pool was Demoman's Grenade Launcher, but that's only because I never really learned how to use stickies.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 14, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Back in the day demoman and soldier had enormous ammo reserves and you could spam them all day. They were nerfed super early on though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kaal posted:

If a Sniper only crit on full charge, it would probably halve their damage output. A minicrit does only 36 percent more damage than a body shot - there's hardly any point. And getting a full charge takes more than three seconds. It would be a massive nerf. If you're worried about getting Quickscoped, then keep pinging the Sniper with minor shots to disrupt their aim.

To be fair I did mention in one of my earlier posts that I was picturing their Mini-Crit damage getting raised up a fair amount to make up for it(like to say 110 damage or something), not enough to one shot anyone at full health(besides a Kunai/Big Earner Spy or Sandman Scout) but enough that Light classes would need to retreat or die to a second shot(or a clip of SMG bullets or a melee swing or an ally capping them) and the heavier classes besides Heavy(or maybe a Eyelander Demo-Knight with a bunch of heads and the booties) would be seriously hurt if they weren't overhealed beforehand

Essentially part of the idea is to not only make Stock, Bazaar Bargain, and Hitman's Heatmaker less dominant but to also make the differences the latter two have from stock more meaningful since charged shots are more important now(might have to reduce the initial charge penalty the BB has though), and it also indirectly buffs the Huntsman(because it would be unaffected by these changes entirely), Sydney Sleeper(both because it would be doing more damage in general thanks to the buff to mini-crit damage but also it's other aspects would make it potentially more appealing to Snipers who favor quick scoping over full charge shots even if it still wouldn't be able to full crit), and The Classic(it's still a tad weak in terms of overall damage but the utility of not having to stay zoomed would be more appealing than it currently is, at least assuming we leave it otherwise untouched, which probably depends on how attached we are on it being a direct port of the TFC Sniper Rifle, personally I'd ditch the "can only headshot on a full charge" mechanic it currently has to instead use the "mini-crits on uncharged and partially charged shots, full crits on full charge" mechanic I'm suggesting for the other rifles), only the Machina/Shooting Star is left relatively unchanged by this in terms of ranking among Sniper's primaries(mostly because it's main upside is situational at best even with these changes and it's main downside is still pretty bad)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i'm genuinely curious as to where this "sniper shouldn't be able to kill people by shooting them in the head" thing came from because as far as I can tell it only really started in the passed couple of years despite sniper being unchanged for literally 12 years prior to that

surely people aren't actually considering literal aimbots as their metric for whether the class is overpowered

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

cock hero flux posted:

i'm genuinely curious as to where this "sniper shouldn't be able to kill people by shooting them in the head" thing came from because as far as I can tell it only really started in the passed couple of years despite sniper being unchanged for literally 12 years prior to that

surely people aren't actually considering literal aimbots as their metric for whether the class is overpowered

So long as there has been Sniper, there has been bitching about Sniper.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

My Second Re-Reg posted:

So long as there has been Sniper, there has been bitching about Sniper.

sure, every class has a certain level of background complaining, but the current thing with sniper is that people are actively advocating for his core mechanic to get completely gutted and are not immediately being laughed out

it's like the equivalent of me sitting here and going "yeah soldier shouldn't be allowed to be tanky and mobile so really they should just remove rocket jumping" and everyone like, nodding along and seriously discussing the suggestion

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 14, 2021

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think we're all just so comforted to see a class balance discussion in the TF2 thread like in the old times, that we're just letting it happen to bask in the nostalgia.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'll admit if the Bot Crisis hadn't happened my feelings on Sniper would probably be more mild but he definitely does need tweaking

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

He does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the bazaar bargain could stand a nerf