Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

SweetBro posted:

Any of you going to be playing Mortal Online 2 on release?

The first one was kind of a dumpsterfire on release and as I understand the company only survived cause of federal subsidies. That being said towards the end of its lifetime it was a decentish game that was mostly held back by a super out of date engine. Second one seems to run fine for the most part. All of the game's systems seem to be fully implemented for launch as well.

i dont have a mortal online collectors edition collecting dust somewhere for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Endorph posted:

personally im glad i dont have to grind out bear asses to see the fun plot or do fun boss fights

That's good you should enjoy what you want. And the last set of comments directed at me made me reflect that I should enjoy FFXIV for what it is and what it's not. Those old collect bear rear end games still exist and I can go play them there if I want. I had my fun in FFXIV in addition to my disappointments and still recommend it to everyone.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SweetBro posted:

The first one was kind of a dumpsterfire on release and as I understand the company only survived cause of federal subsidies. That being said towards the end of its lifetime it was a decentish game that was mostly held back by a super out of date engine. Second one seems to run fine for the most part. All of the game's systems seem to be fully implemented for launch as well.
Yeah at least for a bit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SweetBro posted:

From everything I read, Mortal Online 2 repeats most of the mistakes of the first game.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

GoGoGadget posted:

I am amazed people have already beaten FFXIV's Endwalker expansion content when I still haven't even been able to log in. Every night I try, and every night I'm faced with 4,000+ player queues. By the time I'm close to getting in, it's time for bed.

Your best bet is to go to bed early so you can wake up at like 4am, you'll get in immediately between like midnight and 5am

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I love making friends in video games.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think themepark MMOs are cool and I like FF14 but the latest expansion makes especially clear how little it actually thinks of its open world as a gameplay space. You can, and probably should, clear broad swathes of the story without fighting any enemies you aren't required to for a quest.

Stuff like random enemies and ridiculously huge gameplay spaces are there because 'MMOs have to have them' rather than because they actually fill any kind of gameplay need.

The gameplay of being in a group in an instance is fun; being in the open world isn't really (at least - it's not any more fun than any other group activity).

To a lesser extent this is also true of stuff like Destiny 2. Big zones, little to do in them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a lot of stuff to do in the open world zones. I don't understand what you mean, is it a problem that the story doesn't take you to every single fate/chained fate/world boss, lookout point, aether current, hunt mark, gathering node or treasure map? Hell they even go back and make older open world zones relevant every once in a while via Beast Tribes or expanding the inventory of the fate vendors.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 13, 2021

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Babe Magnet posted:

there's a lot of stuff to do in the open world zones. I don't understand what you mean, is it a problem that the story doesn't take you to every single fate/chained fate/world boss, lookout point, aether current, hunt mark, gathering node or treasure map? Hell they even go back and make older open world zones relevant every once in a while via Beast Tribes or expanding the inventory of the fate vendors.

The zones are three or more times as big as they need to be.
If I wanted to do any of those activities, 90% of my playtime would just be travel time from one location to another. Just hitting the autorun/fly and pointing myself in the right direction.
I just did a quest chain about investigating an artificial sun's functionality. Sounds like it could be cool, right?

But I fought like, maybe five things. In between dialogue boxes over the course of five quests I just pointed myself in the right direction and moved. That was it.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 13, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

would fighting anything have made the artificial sun's functionality more interesting though? like im not sure what random goblins would add, and it's hard for them to add unique fights for literally all content in the game. id rather the game just acknowledge that and not waste my time then pretend dire wolves are enhancing the plot.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You end up fighting stuff anyway - "go here and kill two things for their icehearts" and so on.

Why make me travel for two minutes to kill two things, spend 15 seconds in combat, then travel two minutes back?

I was 'playing the game' for 15 seconds. The rest of the time I was reading my other monitor while checking I was headed in the right direction on the map. What value is there in that?

Dungeons: cool group gameplay (at least until you're sick of running the same one), fun
Trials/NormalRaids: again, cool group gameplay, cool bossfights
Story: all well and good, this is a Final Fantasy game and as Final Fantasies go it ends up pretty good
dicking around in cities and housing being social: also fine
Solo duties: also usually fun

I like the game! Lots to do! Fun stuff!
But when it comes to overworld content, all that 'fun' - even stuff like FATEs or hunts, which can be fun in themselves - are broken up by nothing but solid minutes of travel time where nothing happens. There's no purpose to it except wowing you for a minute with a sense of scale, and then it's a detriment after that.
Just shuffle me from fight to cutscene, don't make me walk a minute in silence by myself.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
FFXIV is more like a tv show you passively enjoy that happens to have random combat. This is true 90% of the time. It’s fun when you’re in the mood for that but it definitely doesn’t fill a lot of the checkboxes of other MMO gameplay very well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ort posted:

FFXIV is more like a tv show you passively enjoy that happens to have random combat. This is true 90% of the time. It’s fun when you’re in the mood for that but it definitely doesn’t fill a lot of the checkboxes of other MMO gameplay very well.

It's a bummer to me that all my gaming buddies love XIV because I tried it awhile back and got to 30ish and immediately quit. It's pretty much the opposite of what I think an MMO should be. Wish one of those big streamers had quit WoW for Warhammer or something cool so those blew up.

Same, I really wish I liked it more and I’ve tried so many times to get more committed to it but the best I do is leveling a job I think looks cool to catch up to where my msq, realizing I never actually get to play that job once I get caught up, then burning out. It’s an especially hard game to get into when you get behind.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Yeah, I guess at this point I’d rather play an MMO that goes all in on the multiplayer aspect (in ways that EVE, AC, Albion, WAR, etc do) or a good single player RPG. They’re not inherently mutually exclusive but I’d much rather MMOs like Old Republic or FF14 just told cool stories offline without all the mmo bullshit on top. I do appreciate how good the community is in FF14 and no judgement at all on the tons of ppl who love it.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

bewilderment posted:

I was 'playing the game' for 15 seconds. The rest of the time I was reading my other monitor while checking I was headed in the right direction on the map. What value is there in that?

I get what you’re saying here, but bear in mind that your definition of “the game” appears to solely be combat, and that’s not what they define their game as. I just finished the story, and it was maybe 40 hours long, where 30+ of it was cutscenes. Do I think that’s overkill? Absolutely. Would I argue I wasn’t playing the game? Possibly, but at this point they’ve made their design intentions explicitly clear through all expansions and it’s not going to change. I enjoy it for what it is, and if I want a combat-focused experience, I’ll either wait till endgame or jump to another MMO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I appreciate in FFXIV that you can experience the main story without having to engage with much MMO bullshit--they tune the EXP curve so that the main story keeps you at the right level (or overleveled, even) pretty much the whole way through and make it easy to stay appropriately geared for the main story right up to the end of whatever content is current. You do still have to do dungeons and trials with party members but that's not "MMO bullshit," it just, y'know, the thing that makes it an MMO. Weirdly I think the story also justifies being told in an MMO just because it lets it work like seasons of a long-running TV series, something FF has never really done before. I don't think a story like FFXIV's would ever have worked in a single-player FF, or even a series of them.

But it definitely does sit in an odd spot where people who just want a pure MMO are going to feel like they have to wade through a ton of story they don't care about to get there, and people who just want a single-player story RPG do still have to play an MMO to get FFXIV's story, even if it's an MMO that's very light on bullshit if you just do the story. If anything I have to say I'm (pleasantly) surprised at how large of a group of people it does work for because it seems like a fairly awkward overlap that I could imagine a ton of people bouncing off of for any number of reasons.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Yeah I liked the low level dungeons but having to queue for 15 minutes to keep playing the story was a bit frustrating. All my opinions are also from before the story “gets good” after 60 or whatever.

Kaysette posted:

Yeah I liked the low level dungeons but having to queue for 15 minutes to keep playing the story was a bit frustrating. All my opinions are also from before the story “gets good” after 60 or whatever.

This is always annoying as hell. Trusts helped but having to sit and wait in a trial queue at climax points in the story makes me extremely frustrated.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i wouldn't object to FFXIV doing what PSO2 Classic did and having separate versions of the trials as solo story instances. would severely affect how some mechanics function/how easy they are to execute I suppose.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kaysette posted:

Yeah, I guess at this point I’d rather play an MMO that goes all in on the multiplayer aspect (in ways that EVE, AC, Albion, WAR, etc do) or a good single player RPG. They’re not inherently mutually exclusive but I’d much rather MMOs like Old Republic or FF14 just told cool stories offline without all the mmo bullshit on top. I do appreciate how good the community is in FF14 and no judgement at all on the tons of ppl who love it.

man I want a single non garbage multiplayer focused mmo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Has anyone played Kenshi on Steam? They should make a MMO version of that.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

Has anyone played Kenshi on Steam? They should make a MMO version of that.

I do not know how current developers could make Kenshi:s temporal rhythm palpable with someone else at the pause button helm. Never even gonna think about a Kenshi without a pause or 3X speed button, you cannot inflict that abuse on my brain.

CatDoc
Apr 6, 2006

Scoop daily. Clumping clay. One more box than cats.
I'm looking for a title where other Autist goons can lift me up. For example, the free ships in Eve (gently caress that time commit, though), the massive online presence of Planetside2 nine years ago.

Where can the Goon Force Multiplier benefit me the most?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Final Fantasy XIV would be a lot better with playing for other people if there were quests that are suppose be done with more than one person. This is what Beast Tribe quests should be.

KirbyKhan posted:

Never even gonna think about a Kenshi without a pause or 3X speed button, you cannot inflict that abuse on my brain.

You mean Runescape?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

FFXIV owns since you can pay to skip the story.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hey, best part of the game is story.

oh what? You don't want to do that? Pay me more money to skip it.

also we made the story very long and some of it is god awful writing

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah when I play an MMO I want to get right to the good stuff: the combat and endgame loot grind. That’s definitely the part where people have the most fun.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Third World Reagan posted:

Hey, best part of the game is story.

oh what? You don't want to do that? Pay me more money to skip it.

also we made the story very long and some of it is god awful writing

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pryce posted:

I get what you’re saying here, but bear in mind that your definition of “the game” appears to solely be combat, and that’s not what they define their game as. I just finished the story, and it was maybe 40 hours long, where 30+ of it was cutscenes. Do I think that’s overkill? Absolutely. Would I argue I wasn’t playing the game? Possibly, but at this point they’ve made their design intentions explicitly clear through all expansions and it’s not going to change. I enjoy it for what it is, and if I want a combat-focused experience, I’ll either wait till endgame or jump to another MMO.

I'm not complaining about the amount of story. It's a Final Fantasy game. It's got a lot of cutscenes and melodrama. The cutscene to combat ratio is not my complaint here.

My complaint is specifically that after a cutscene, if you want to do almost anything, you point yourself in a direction and autorun for minutes.
During this autorun time, there is zero engagement, be it with the combat or the story or anything.

I suppose am literally saying that if a quest is "go here, kill three bears and bring me back their bear asses", then as soon as I accept the quest, it should teleport me to the bears, make three of them immediately aggro onto me, and then once the third one is dead, cutscene/teleport me back to the questgiver to finish up.

This isn't an FF14-specific thing, plenty of MMOs and liveservice games would benefit from the same. The problem is scale simply for the sense of scale with no actual content filling it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kaysette posted:

They’re not inherently mutually exclusive but I’d much rather MMOs like Old Republic or FF14 just told cool stories offline without all the mmo bullshit on top.
Yea FF14 is barely an mmo when its main draw is the singleplayer story and the mmo stuff it does carry over are like the worst parts of any mmo - grinding levels, sitting in queues, random groups, paying a sub, (and until recently?) not being able to play with friends because they're on some other server

Guild Wars 1 did it better.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 14, 2021

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
yeah FFXIV is an awful MMO that's why it's the most popular MMO right now

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Frida Call Me posted:

yeah FFXIV is an awful MMO that's why it's the most popular MMO right now

Fortnite sucks and was the biggest game on the planet for a good while.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
MMO tribalism is so pathetic lol

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
nah, it's simply that wow broke everyone's brains and made them come up with unbelievably stupid expectations for how an MMO should play, and they're trying to project those expectations onto FFXIV. those projections aren't fitting, so they just come up with various exceptionally weak reasons for "FFXIV bad".

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jackard posted:

Yea FF14 is barely an mmo when its main draw is the singleplayer story and the mmo stuff it does carry over are like the worst parts of any mmo - grinding levels, sitting in queues, random groups, paying a sub, (and until recently?) not being able to play with friends because they're on some other server

Guild Wars 1 did it better.

Guild wars 1 is a good game! And was!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Frida Call Me posted:

nah, it's simply that wow broke everyone's brains and made them come up with unbelievably stupid expectations for how an MMO should play, and they're trying to project those expectations onto FFXIV. those projections aren't fitting, so they just come up with various exceptionally weak reasons for "FFXIV bad".

I am flattered how young you think some of us are.

edit: isn't WoW pretty big on its plot? I only played classic but I thought it was pretty important to the game.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 14, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Frida Call Me posted:

That poster didn’t even call ffxiv bad lol. You made up a guy in your head to get mad at

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I am flattered how young you think some of us are.

edit: isn't WoW pretty big on its plot? I only played classic but I thought it was pretty important to the game.

Plot is important but significant portions of it are told in books, not in game, IIRC. I haven't played in ages so I don't really remember tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

Plot is important but significant portions of it are told in books, not in game, IIRC. I haven't played in ages so I don't really remember tbh

Someone showed me a goofy cutscene and I guess some dark elf was the leader of the Horde and I'm thinking what are they doing over there when they're not busy harassing employees.