Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

The Protagonist posted:

'meltwater pulse', whilst meaningless to me as a layperson, rings with the same opaque foreboding as 'resonance cascade'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

pft, twenty five milimeters aint nothin' :rolleye: ... just gonna assume you innocently dropped an 'm' there and take a biiig sip of coffee-

Dear sir, madam, or other,

I write to you today to regretfully inform you...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

If you're interested in the ongoing demise of Thwaites and PIG, the Arctic Sea Ice Forum stays extremely up to date on their continued disintegration.

Thwaites: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1760.0.html
PIG: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,429.0.html

now I know what a meltwater pulse is, thanks a lot :staredog:

edit: wow, I'm not the only one, I guess?

The Clash posted:

London calling, see we ain't got no swing
Except for the ring of the truncheon thing

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin

Engines stop running, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning
I live by the river

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Dec 13, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lol'ing at the thought of how many gigatrillions of polymer micro-particles are being sprayed into the air every moment of every day from aerosol painting. :thunk:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Protagonist posted:

'meltwater pulse', whilst meaningless to me as a layperson, rings with the same opaque foreboding as 'resonance cascade'

All these terms sound like disaster films.

Climate Collapse

Climate Collapse 2: Polar Vortex

Climate Collapse 3: Meltwater Pulse

Climate Collapse 4: Wet Bulb Event

Climate Collapse

(it's a reboot)

Climate Collapse: Sudden Deplanktonification (last in series)

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Climate Collapse

Climate Collapse

(it's a reboot)

We call that last one "Aragonite Undersaturation"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

Lol'ing at the thought of how many gigatrillions of polymer micro-particles are being sprayed into the air every moment of every day from aerosol painting. :thunk:

it's probably almost negligible compared to the mountains of plastic waste rotting away in the oceans, landfills, being dumped into rivers, and just insane trash spewed out of cars onto roads everywhere. and also cars themselves with tires being a lot of polymers rubbing away each time someone accelerates at 50mph to immediately slam on the breaks at a stop sign 100 ft away only to repeat it again

i.e. https://v.redd.it/v819qiwf66481/DASH_360.mp4?source=fallback&audio_url=false

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Dec 13, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Mola Yam posted:

so long suckers! i rev up industrial society and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates humanity is lying completely dead on the pavement

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
All those birds are watching that truck like

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Don't worry guys, climate change is over. We built a statue.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/dec/06/hope-sculpture-glasgow-cop26-steuart-padwick

quote:

A new public sculpture that calls for optimism about humanity’s response to the climate crisis has been installed in a park once home to Glasgow’s last working coalmine.

The Hope Sculpture, featuring an androgynous child placed more than 20 metres high, has been erected on the bank of the Clyde as a permanent reminder of Glasgow’s role as host of the Cop26 climate summit in November.

It stands in Cuningar Loop, a former industrial site converted into a woodland park that is also the home of a British Geological Survey test facility studying the potential for drawing zero-carbon geothermal energy from the flooded former mine shafts.

The 23-metre-high Hope Sculpture has been designed by Steuart Padwick, an artist and sculptor known for his Head above Water sculpture on the Thames near the Oxo tower in London. It has been built using low-carbon, recycled and repurposed materials, including a concrete made without cement – a material globally responsible for releasing 2.8bn tonnes of CO2.

It has two companion pieces – a 4.5-metre-high wooden figure on the main concourse at Glasgow Central station, cut from Scottish spruce, and a 3.5-metre-high, three-figure installation in gardens at Strathclyde University cut from reclaimed steel

Padwick said he wanted to suggest humanity had a positive future; he had despaired at the anxiety he had seen in children worrying about the fate of the planet. The figure’s outstretched arms are designed to be embracing.

“It is reaching out across Glasgow. Its message is very simple: why would anyone want to poison their future,” he said.

E: Strong feeling the statue is about to :boom: us

RockyB has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Dec 14, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Jesus christ they've done turned hopium into an idol :eyepop:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
fallout 5 points of interest looking lame so far; do better, todd howard

Laterite has issued a correction as of 02:53 on Dec 14, 2021

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

RockyB posted:

Don't worry guys, climate change is over. We built a statue.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/dec/06/hope-sculpture-glasgow-cop26-steuart-padwick

E: Strong feeling the statue is about to :boom: us

What an uninspiring looking statue. Makes me think of those wooden posing dolls.

An uninspiring statue is fitting for our hope against climate change after COP26 I suppose.

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

Not gonna read that article and will just assume that the statue marks the new sea level once the poles are done melting.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mola Yam posted:

so long suckers! i rev up industrial society and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates humanity is lying completely dead on the pavement

still one of the best posts in any of the climate change threads

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The Wicker Man (1973)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

if climate change is inevitable then we need to burn more coal and extract more oil and gas, not less. not only will this be profitable in the short term, this will incentivize the people with the solutions to actually do something.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
a statue?

lol. lmao.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

RockyB posted:

quote:

It has two companion pieces – a 4.5-metre-high wooden figure on the main concourse at Glasgow Central station, cut from Scottish spruce, and a 3.5-metre-high, three-figure installation in gardens at Strathclyde University cut from reclaimed steel

hahahah, they cut down trees to make it all happen. unreal. I can think of no better "permanent reminder of Glasgow’s role as host of the Cop26 climate summit in November" than this

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bedpan posted:

hahahah, they cut down trees to make it all happen. unreal. I can think of no better "permanent reminder of Glasgow’s role as host of the Cop26 climate summit in November" than this

whats the problem? as long as the wood never burns or decomposes ever the statue is actually doing carbon storage.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

whats the problem? as long as the wood never burns or decomposes ever the statue is actually doing carbon storage.

because when you plant trees you get 100 years of carbon credit right up front. if someone else happens to cut those trees down before 100 years are up, welp. try voting harder

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Laterite posted:

fallout 5 points of interest looking lame so far; do better, todd howard

we're doing a pretty good speedrun of slightly retconned pre-war fallout lore right now

looking forward to (1) declining energy resources, (2) future US invasion of canada for resources, (3) the disintegration of the UN, (4) the future limited nuclear exchange between europe and the middle east, and (5) the Great War between the USA and the PRC that ends in nuclear holocaust

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Dec 14, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

also im a dumb drunk so you I am going to get ahead of this one and just say that you are right

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i can't believe we don't get the money shot

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Hubbert posted:

we're doing a pretty good speedrun of slightly retconned pre-war fallout lore right now

looking forward to (1) declining energy resources, (2) future US invasion of canada for resources, (3) the disintegration of the UN, (4) the future limited nuclear exchange between europe and the middle east, and (5) the Great War between the USA and the PRC that ends in nuclear holocaust
Yeah, we're making excellent time (and numbers!) on the "New Plague", we might've made similar time on the rest if not for shale

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Hubbert posted:

looking forward to being found by the lone wanderer as a skeleton positioned in such a way that it shows exactly the embarrassing inadvertently self-inflicted manner in which i died.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
drake no: climate statutes
drake yes: climate statues

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1470507840230113287?s=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccGGL2yl6rc

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

you have to bury it shithead!!!!!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/theyylovekj/status/1470391547233505291

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Climate Collapse

Climate Collapse

(it's a reboot)

you forgot BOE

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bedpan posted:

also im a dumb drunk so you I am going to get ahead of this one and just say that you are right

don’t worry ur other post was right, if we’re trying to maximize our evil for our money we got to sell the forestry credits first.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

you have to bury it shithead!!!!!

on a geologic scale it basically already is!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

oh, they'll grow up, all right. and fast

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
okay new plan for beating climate change

1. we cut down every tree on the planet, then bury it so it can't release its stored carbon again
3. we did it!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Minera posted:

okay new plan for beating climate change

1. we cut down every tree on the planet, then bury it so it can't release its stored carbon again
3. we did it!

legit though, massive labor camps chopping down trees, burying them, and planting genetically engineered new ones all with manual labor is probably one our best remaining options on a global and personal scale.

Meaningful work, exercise, food rations, safety in numbers, isn’t that the retirement dream?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Trabisnikof posted:

legit though, massive labor camps chopping down trees, burying them, and planting genetically engineered new ones all with manual labor is probably one our best remaining options on a global and personal scale.

Meaningful work, exercise, food rations, safety in numbers, isn’t that the retirement dream?

sounds like a lot of work, can't i just donate 3 dollars when i order more nylon clothing off amazon to make one of their warehouse workers do it for me

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Minera posted:

sounds like a lot of work, can't i just donate 3 dollars when i order more nylon clothing off amazon to make one of their warehouse workers do it for me

We all have to do our part!* :shobon:

* the people telling you that you have to do your part don't have to do their part.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Trabisnikof posted:

absolutely, the solution to climate change is more monocultures

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
https://archive.md/PkjM1

quote:

The world’s poultry farmers are battling another grim spell of bird-flu cases, risking higher chicken prices and fewer free-range eggs.

More than 40 countries across Europe, Asia and Africa have seen outbreaks since May, according to World Organisation for Animal Health data. It’s threatening to drive food prices, which are near record levels, even higher and boost costs for households that are already suffering from surging prices for other commodities.

Millions of birds were culled in Europe last winter due to the virus, whose highly pathogenic varieties can be deadly to poultry. Cases this year are rising earlier than usual, forcing countries like the U.K. to order birds indoors to shield them from the disease. The new wave of bird-flu risks making poultry even pricier, with European chicken output already hampered by labor shortages and high feed and energy costs, Rabobank’s Nan-Dirk Mulder said.

lol its gunna be amazing when Quality Chicken Products LLC, Tyson Foods, etc gets bird flu outbreak at their mega-mega jam-packed factory-farms

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:38 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Xaris posted:

https://archive.md/PkjM1

lol its gunna be amazing when Quality Chicken Products LLC, Tyson Foods, etc gets bird flu outbreak at their mega-mega jam-packed factory-farms

:shrug:inflation:shrug: