Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I had to finish ShB when EW dropped so I'm a bit behind but holy gently caress that level 83 duty. I did it in one go so it wasn't frustrating but I'm still a bit gobsmacked. That body check animation at the end was so good it almost had me out of my seat, god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
just got my first 92002 boot from server but I had been on for like 5 hours now just leveling my tradeskills so i'm gonna go get dinner then see how the queue is

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Random thought: The miniboss theme is better than the boss one. But I admit the boss one 'fits' more for a final boss of a dungeon.

:yeah:

Professor Beetus posted:

I had to finish ShB when EW dropped so I'm a bit behind but holy gently caress that level 83 duty. I did it in one go so it wasn't frustrating but I'm still a bit gobsmacked. That body check animation at the end was so good it almost had me out of my seat, god drat.

I also did that one in one go earlier today. It's really intense.

People REALLY have strong feelings about that one, though. There's a whole thread on the official forums about how it's the worst thing in XIV.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 14, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

jimmydalad posted:

So I understand why they are releasing the Island Sanctuary. After all the poo poo he's been through, my WOL really wants a place to just gently caress off and not be disturbed for once.

I am all for 5 patches of minor vignettes and stuff related to the Island Sanctuary a la "A Moogle Kupo d'Etat: Evil in Small Doses" and then 7.0 is a completely fresh start narratively coming back from vacation

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gotta say I was expecting a little more improvement on the queue when we got back to the work week than we got today. I started queuing before 5, and it's looking like it's going to be a two hour wait by the time I get in, and obviously worse for people starting later. I assume it's coming, but they really need to go ahead and announce more free time, because I'm sure there are people with more restricted schedules who've barely had a chance to play at all so far.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am all for 5 patches of minor vignettes and stuff related to the Island Sanctuary a la "A Moogle Kupo d'Etat: Evil in Small Doses" and then 7.0 is a completely fresh start narratively coming back from vacation

I am all for a few 'hey wanna go gently caress around and hunt treasure' adventures like the Skalla dungeon from StB.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm sort of assuming that 7.0 will have you wander over to another continent, spend 10 levels learning about them, and capping it off by defeating a local, not global, threat

If I had to guess, 6.1 through 6.55 will deal with the general malaise of not having an obvious direction and purpose at the moment

Of course the writing team could upset this in any number of ways

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So people were talking about a 2002 club gangtag. I tried to poke at it some today but Endwalker is using a just *slightly* different font than the default FFXIV font, this is about where I am now if someone else wants to pick up the torch or has suggestions.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Well since people are posting spoilers in this thread, gently caress it, I'll share my joke from the other thread. Spoilers through Level 87 MSQ:

Hermes: "i have made a von Neumann probe"
Emet-Selch: "you hosed up a perfectly good bird is what you did. look at it. it's got anxiety"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

If I had to guess, 6.1 through 6.55 will deal with the general malaise of not having an obvious direction and purpose at the moment

Doesn't seem like enough patches to do such riveting subject matter justice

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Well since people are posting spoilers in this thread, gently caress it, I'll share my joke from the other thread. Spoilers through Level 87 MSQ:

Emet-Selch: "you hosed up a perfectly good bird is what you did. look at it. it's got anxiety"

I know a few more things than I should, but this sounds accurate. :allears:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

No Mods No Masters posted:

Doesn't seem like enough patches to do such riveting subject matter justice

I mean obviously things would still be happening. I just meant that the emotional core of the story arc would be "what do you do after you've (seemingly) peaked?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean obviously things would still be happening. I just meant that the emotional core of the story arc would be "what do you do after you've (seemingly) peaked?"

Go to college and become a superhero while your dad keeps getting stronger than you?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Kurieg posted:

So people were talking about a 2002 club gangtag. I tried to poke at it some today but Endwalker is using a just *slightly* different font than the default FFXIV font, this is about where I am now if someone else wants to pick up the torch or has suggestions.

Queuewalker is RIGHT THERE

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

jimmydalad posted:

So I understand why they are releasing the Island Sanctuary. After all the poo poo he's been through, my WOL really wants a place to just gently caress off and not be disturbed for once.

That's kind of my plan. Just retire to the farm until the plot starts again, then they can summon me forth like I'm Fantasy Cincinnatus or something.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Gotta say I was expecting a little more improvement on the queue when we got back to the work week than we got today. I started queuing before 5, and it's looking like it's going to be a two hour wait by the time I get in, and obviously worse for people starting later. I assume it's coming, but they really need to go ahead and announce more free time, because I'm sure there are people with more restricted schedules who've barely had a chance to play at all so far.

Just to give them some credit, the lobby crashed and I thought I'd lost two hours of wait time, but I'm still in the queue, and I think they said that people not just being dropped out of line is actually part of why queues might take longer now, so I do appreciate that fix even if the overall situation still sucks.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I would be happy if the 6.x patches were nothing more high stakes than a romp around the world, looking for shiny new dresses to wear, strange new gods to kill, and even bigger fish to catch.

There will probably be some big fancy story hook, but there's a lot of potential places one could lead to.

This is what I'm looking forward to and why I'm glad they jammed as much into Endwalker as they did instead of splitting things across multiple patches/expansions. The overarching story up until this point is great, sure, but I'm so done with it and I'm looking forward to something entirely new with the patch content.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

People REALLY have strong feelings about that one, though. There's a whole thread on the official forums about how it's the worst thing in XIV.

(Level 83 solo duty related) I absolutely loved this section because it scratched an itch in the back of my head from my FFXI days about being a relatively squishy character surrounded by threats that could basically end me if they saw me. I found out what the duty was about, thought "Ok, I played FFXI and went through all of Eureka. I need to avoid aggroing anything. I've got this." and then I saw there was a time limit and it got kicked up a notch.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I just ugly laughed so hard. Thank you for posting it here too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

(Level 83 solo duty related) I absolutely loved this section because it scratched an itch in the back of my head from my FFXI days about being a relatively squishy character surrounded by threats that could basically end me if they saw me. I found out what the duty was about, thought "Ok, I played FFXI and went through all of Eureka. I need to avoid aggroing anything. I've got this." and then I saw there was a time limit and it got kicked up a notch.

I was probably overly cautious doing it, and I was shaking like a leaf the whole time because I was scared of getting caught. It was pretty exhilarating, though. And then you meet up with some Garlean friends and you have help doing damage and things seem less bleak! And then everyone loving dies! :smith:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

hopeandjoy posted:

IMO the plot has always suffered the second the Garleans are on screen, and EW is about the only time where this isn’t the case. Part of the reason I disliked Stormblood so much is just that I think they’re real boring antagonists to try and carry an entire expansion’s plot on. Plus I just think the fascist nation getting eaten up from the inside as a result of their own indoctrination of the heirs and leadership is more interesting and powerful than toppling them in a war. Them going out in a whimper under their own bullshit is a far stronger statement.

And, as I posted a bit earlier, is bang in line with a lot of what the Meteia observed out in the universe. It's not planetary in scope, but it's the exact same kind of "I choose death in the face of brutal circumstances that we largely authored for ourselves" logic they encountered over and over and over, especially on the worlds showcased in the Dead Ends. It's why this is all one expansion - it's thematically consistent and demonstrates that modern Etheriys is not immune to this kind of thinking.

And yes, Garlean fascism just kind of imploding on itself because it was overextended and could do nothing when the crown prince just said "gently caress it" and kicked down the house of cards alongside his evil wizard accomplice is the perfect way for the Garleans to go out. I'm slightly worried about what the patch content for the Garleans will look like (they will almost certainly get a patch to themselves), but given the general excellence with how 6.0 was handled, I think it'll be okay.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

it is immensely funny to me that (tank role quest spoilers) yet again a gridanian story features the elementals again being almost comically terrible as any kind of aid to the people of the twelveswood. just a whole country of people living under what is at this point basically a protection racket run by dumbass tree spirits (who may not even be all that powerful).

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I just hit the level 87 quests. About how many more hours of MSQ plot are there?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Me trying to dodge the AoEs of (90 Expert dungeon) Stigma Dreamscape's 2nd boss while maintaining uptime as a melee

Cephas posted:

I just hit the level 87 quests. About how many more hours of MSQ plot are there?

Quite a bit. 3 dungeons, 2 trials, and lots of cutscenes. They're really good

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am getting so drat tired of this game during weekdays. Boot up the game as soon as I get home from work, and M-F it's routinely a 2 1/2 hour queue I have to babysit for 2002 errors despite being on a physical line connection.

I've been Players in queue: 1 for the last fifteen minutes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

isk posted:

Me trying to dodge the AoEs of (90 Expert dungeon) Stigma Dreamscape's 2nd boss while maintaining uptime as a melee

Quite a bit. 3 dungeons, 2 trials, and lots of cutscenes. They're really good

I don't think full uptime is possible and I'll just settle for not getting hit and being in position to gapclose once the boss stops moving

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Cythereal posted:

I am getting so drat tired of this game during weekdays. Boot up the game as soon as I get home from work, and M-F it's routinely a 2 1/2 hour queue I have to babysit for 2002 errors despite being on a physical line connection.

I've been Players in queue: 1 for the last fifteen minutes.

Have you considered waking up earlier and playing before work?

A lot of people have apparently come around to that approach, and I'm now getting (small, sub-50) queues at like 5am EST.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Offkorn posted:

A lot of people have apparently come around to that approach, and I'm now getting (small, sub-50) queues at like 5am EST.

lol

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think full uptime is possible and I'll just settle for not getting hit and being in position to gapclose once the boss stops moving

tbh this is what I've settled on

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

They should have released Endwalker weekly like a tv show, one story segment at a time. It would take care of the queue, let the bombs sink in and breathe, and people could water cooler the latest beats while waiting for the next story drop.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

bagrada posted:

They should have released Endwalker weekly like a tv show, one story segment at a time. It would take care of the queue, let the bombs sink in and breathe, and people could water cooler the latest beats while waiting for the next story drop.

it wouldn't fix the queue it would just extend it for months

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The people saying stormblood would've been better as two seperate expansions are very wrong. Imagine a whole expansion of the absolutely horrible Ala Mihgan landscapes. Or focusing on Lyse for two expansions instead of one, talk about boring.

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 14, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's weird to me that they haven't figured out a way to keep people in queue or in game yet. I was on since 4pm est (just 3 hours ago), the req. to get on if you want to play basically. Lost my connection 5 minutes ago, logged back in and I'm in a 4k queue. Like I get they don't want people staying on forever but at least add some buffer time if people get booted? lol

So now I've had to tell my FC group I can't come back in, even though I was gone in less than a 30 second piss break.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Valentin posted:

it is immensely funny to me that (tank role quest spoilers) yet again a gridanian story features the elementals again being almost comically terrible as any kind of aid to the people of the twelveswood. just a whole country of people living under what is at this point basically a protection racket run by dumbass tree spirits (who may not even be all that powerful).

I mean, if A-Ruhn-Senna being able to walk into Garlemald with his thighs exposed while everyone else is screeching about the cold is any indication, the elementals have to have some kind of crazy protective powers. :v:

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The people saying stormblood would've been better as two seperate expansions are very wrong. Imagine a whole expansion of the absolutely horrible Ala Mihgan landscapes. Or focusing on Lyse for two expansions instead of one, talk about boring.

Personally, I would've moved all of Ala Mhigo's segments to 4.0, and then the patches could've been predominantly Doma focused. I think most of the side content and patches take place in Doma anyway, so that probably wouldn't have changed things too much aside from cutting out Yotsuyu and Gosetsu's fake-out deaths.

Granted, the issue with that is how do you incorporate all of the Doma zones into 4.0 while keeping the story Ala Mhigo focused?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 14, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
It would've completely changed the story because Ala Migho doesn't beat the empire without the people of Doma aiding them.

Also Lyse's whole character arc doesn't make sense if she never goes to Doma

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 14, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cephas posted:

Several.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I actually really like Ala Mhigo's landscapes and wouldn't mind more of them, but I also think that two expacs back to back about liberation would be a bit long in the tooth, even if it means kicking in more coloniser face.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Offkorn posted:

I have not considered completely upending my schedule and sleeping habits for a video game since I was an undergrad in college, no.

Video games are something I use to relax after work.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

It's probably one of the strongest moments in the game. They pull no punches. Facism and imperialism are a helluva drug.

In all seriousness though I'm glad they didn't back down from showing what this kind of imperialist, nationalistic brain poisoning can do to someone. The leaders have all got Qanon level brain poisoning. The average citizens are just brainwashed by a lifetime of fascist propaganda.

At least he ordered his troops to stand down first. A real Nazi would have ordered them to attack and then ate his gun.

Unrelated, my only major disappointment with Stormblood is that they didn't have time to make Ala Mhigo a real city zone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Senator Drinksalot posted:

It would've completely changed the story because Ala Migho doesn't beat the empire without the people of Doma aiding them.

Also Lyse's whole character arc doesn't make sense if she never goes to Doma

Yeah, there would need to be a fair number of rewrites in my hypothetical scenario.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Cythereal posted:

I have not considered completely upending my schedule and sleeping habits for a video game since I was an undergrad in college, no.

Video games are something I use to relax after work.

Hmm. Another option I've seen some people champion may be using Remote Desktop to log-in when you're on your way back from work to get a head-start on the queue.

Though, granted, if you're constantly getting dropped by queue errors that probably won't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Offkorn posted:

Hmm. Another option I've seen some people champion may be using Remote Desktop to log-in when you're on your way back from work to get a head-start on the queue.

Though, granted, if you're constantly getting dropped by queue errors that probably won't help.

lol

Why does your avatar say, "Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid"?