Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It might end up being a victim of when it's being released but the trailer gives the sense that the real world in the original films was another layer of the Matrix and everyone is still inside so it makes sense that there'd be a lot of "remember this".
I'd kinda hate if they went this direction because they had the chance to do it in the sequels and they didn't, so if they confirmed it now it would almost retcon too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mierenneuker posted:

The Long Kiss Goodnight

Because mentioning Die Hard is clearly played out at this point.

Lethal Weapon is still pretty solid.

I rewatched it last night. The first half is some pretty good 80s cop stuff, then it just goes completely batshit in the 2nd half.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

double post.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Yes, vouching for the excellence of that movie as someone who does not like anime. All Satoshi Kon movies in fact.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

LesterGroans posted:

Black Christmas
Batman Returns

yes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lots of good picks yall

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

I'd kinda hate if they went this direction because they had the chance to do it in the sequels and they didn't, so if they confirmed it now it would almost retcon too much.

Well you kind of have to in order to do a sequel where Neo and Trinity are alive.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Well you kind of have to in order to do a sequel where Neo and Trinity are alive.
Come on, it's sci-fi, open your mind a little. They can be AI reconstructions, re-cloned bodies, new people with Neo/Trinity memories, etc...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trinity was already revived as an AI spirit or something in the the canonical game!!!

And the machines never gave up Neo's body so let's go with uh.... a clone??

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Disagreed. The world is rich and well-defined enough that you could easily just tell someone else's story. Look at The Animatrix.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

New Morpheus is extremely distracting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Disagreed. The world is rich and well-defined enough that you could easily just tell someone else's story. Look at The Animatrix.

Doesn't seem like it's going that way based on the trailers but who knows.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't think I have one anymore. :(

Maybe Mr.Bean?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah it's Muppet Christmas Carol for me too. Although...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn7KgXhwwI

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It may not seem like a Christmas movie but Santa Claus is literally a main character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNfYMUEJkkk

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Yes, vouching for the excellence of that movie as someone who does not like anime. All Satoshi Kon movies in fact.

Echoing

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I had no idea they had recast Depp with Mads and now I kinda wanna see it even though the last one was terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9dr2zw-TXQ

Even JK Trolling is promoting the movie!
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1470092815506063365

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 13, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

never seen elf but since xmas is approaching i'm interested to know what everyone's favorite xmas movie is

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Trailer Teaser for Shin Ultraman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puH63Z62OO8

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

clown shoes posted:

I had no idea they had recast Depp with Mads and now I kinda wanna see it even though the last one was terrible.

Honest question - how much of this stuff catches the attention of the mainstream HP fanbase? I feel like if you're not on Twitter or otherwise brain poisoned by the internet then all of Rowling's terf antics are mostly background noise that doesn't come up the studio or one of the main actors makes a statement. HP as an IP appears to be just as popular as ever and I know plenty of adults who grew up on the series who are either immersing their kids in the books, movies, etc or plan on doing so.

I guess a lot of people are either in the camp of "separate the art from artist" or don't care about LGBTQ issues or maybe tacitly agree with Rowling's politics on this issue but it seems strange that there is just little (if any) pushback on this at all from the most vocal portions of that fanbase.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Mat Cauthon posted:

Honest question - how much of this stuff catches the attention of the mainstream HP fanbase? I feel like if you're not on Twitter or otherwise brain poisoned by the internet then all of Rowling's terf antics are mostly background noise that doesn't come up the studio or one of the main actors makes a statement. HP as an IP appears to be just as popular as ever and I know plenty of adults who grew up on the series who are either immersing their kids in the books, movies, etc or plan on doing so.

I guess a lot of people are either in the camp of "separate the art from artist" or don't care about LGBTQ issues or maybe tacitly agree with Rowling's politics on this issue but it seems strange that there is just little (if any) pushback on this at all from the most vocal portions of that fanbase.

based on personal experience (which means nothing) I'd say not much. Most people who aren't living on twitter don't know about any of the current outrages that flare up, it doesn't break through at all.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I teach at a girls' school and a lot of the kids still love Harry Potter, but the general consensus among them seems to be "Rowling can get hosed."

But then, it's just one set of kids at a school with affluent students, so it's hardly representative, I suppose.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

davidspackage posted:

Muppet's Christmas Carol, or Scrooged. Bill Murray even manages to sell the schmaltzy ending.

The right answer. Including having trouble deciding between the two.

People who post action movies that happen to take place at Christmas (Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Long Kiss Goodnight) in an effort to be different always strike me as silly. Like, I think you know what everyone is talking about, and you're impressing no one.

I, of course, mean this with love. I love Christmas movies, and action movies. But I'll watch Die Hard any time of the year. But Muppet's Christmas Carol and Scrooged is a holiday season only thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

People who post action movies that happen to take place at Christmas (Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Long Kiss Goodnight) in an effort to be different always strike me as silly. Like, I think you know what everyone is talking about, and you're impressing no one.

I don't think it's an effort to be different, I think it's just that those movies are good and most "Christmas Movies" suck

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not trying to impress you when I watch Die Hard around Christmas. I just do because it’s a Christmas movie with a very Christmas like score and many many lines that reference the holiday.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think 'genre' christmas movie picks are cool, prolly a more accurate representation of what christmas actually means.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

Oh my god, shut the gently caress up, Rowling.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't think it's an effort to be different, I think it's just that those movies are good and most "Christmas Movies" suck

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not trying to impress you when I watch Die Hard around Christmas. I just do because it’s a Christmas movie with a very Christmas like score and many many lines that reference the holiday.
:yeah:

I watch it every year around Christmas because I'm a big fan of it and not a fan of "real" Christmas movies like Elf or Christmas Vacation or A Christmas Story or whatever. Same reason I watch Silent Night Deadly Night.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's really funny how hard they're trying to dive into Harry Potter lore and poo poo when all the "lore" and world building in the early books was all about how absurd and nonsensical wizarding society is.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The only thing I know about the wider lore is that wizards apparently love the Scottish national rugby team.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

It seems like a lot of people know but just don't care that much overall, or at least not to the point where it would affect their enjoyment of the series. A lot of the current HP stuff seems to go out of their way to avoid mentioning her, which makes sense considering she, like most terfs, is physically incapable of shutting the gently caress up about her terrible opinions.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is it about the pathology of it that drives them to never, ever shut up about it? I feel like racists can shut it off sometimes, or won’t do it unless prompted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wizardofloneliness posted:

It seems like a lot of people know but just don't care that much overall, or at least not to the point where it would affect their enjoyment of the series. A lot of the current HP stuff seems to go out of their way to avoid mentioning her, which makes sense considering she, like most terfs, is physically incapable of shutting the gently caress up about her terrible opinions.

Fantastic Beasts 1 trailer

Secrets of Dumbledore trailer

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I say no to JK Rowling, but would I really want to go with Warner Bros executives instead?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Roth posted:

I say no to JK Rowling, but would I really want to go with Warner Bros executives instead?

Some are pretty cool

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i heard some of them are not even brothers...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What is it about the pathology of it that drives them to never, ever shut up about it? I feel like racists can shut it off sometimes, or won’t do it unless prompted.

I guess trans acceptance is more of a thing now than it was even as recently as 10 years ago (consider the fact that Arrested Development, a show that is absolutely beloved, had a pretty crass transphobic joke in season 2, aired around 04/05 - you probably know the one), and they can't deal with the fact that they're getting called out for poo poo that they got away with then.

That, and because they're operating under this delusion that trans folk are somehow a privileged lot who live lives of luxury and comfort, apparently, I guess there's an element of believing that they're standing up for the marginalised and vulnerable - while completely oblivious to the irony.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think between transness being a "new" phenomenon and feminist being falsely understood as a single coherent ideology (rather than a series of social movements encompassing a range of thoughts and ideologies, yadda yadda yadda) there's more room to keep sheltered and to rationalize discrepancies.

Like, if you're a racist or a nazi or whatever you know these beliefs are largely not publicly tolerated, but you also probably know that they're false. It might bring you some level of comfort or provide some sense of control or whatever bullshit, but you don't believe that black people are literally subhuman or whatever. You abstract that poo poo.

There's still some space to stay ignorant as a terf, and besides: "feminism" is good, so feminists must be the good guys. That makes radical feminists the most good guys.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s also kinda a geographical thing. TERFs, in my impression, are a more significant and prominent group in the UK than in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Schwarzwald posted:

It might bring you some level of comfort or provide some sense of control or whatever bullshit, but you don't believe that black people are literally subhuman or whatever. You abstract that poo poo.

What is the evidence of this? I think racist people are just racist a lot of the time. They know to keep it to themselves in public settings (or at least maintain plausible deniability) but the amount of deliberate, planned effort racists put in suggests to me it’s a firmly held belief.